263 – For the parents
650 5 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The day after the graduation party, the Song and Li gathered in Pao Lie’s restaurant. The purpose of the dinner was the wedding plans for the two kids. Although Song Gaode and Song Ki An were both scientists without children of their own, they wanted to use Rouxi's wedding as an opportunity to live out some of their alternate fantasies of being regular parents.

When Song Gaode traveled to Australia for the inheritance test, he met Ki An at a local high school. He married her while they were both studying in college. A simple marriage registration without any fanfare or grand ceremony. They had agreed early on that they didn’t want children. They were uninterested in anything other than their research. Nevertheless, the idea of planning for Rouxi’s marriage was something they were both thrilled about.

“This is my adopted guardian, Song Gaode and Song Ki An,” Rouxi introduced.

“It’s really an honor to finally meet you!” Song Gaode cheerfully greeted Lu Suyin, Li Fan, and the grandparents who stood up from their seats and greeted the couple at the entrance.

Song Ki An was milder with her greetings. She barely spoke, but listened attentively to everyone else. Li Yun, the one who booked the private room in the restaurant, had not arrived.

“He’s still working, but he should be on time,” said Rouxi.

“You think he would want to come early for his own wedding plan.” Lu Suyin sounded annoyed, but she was concerned about Li Yun’s work habits.

“It’s all right, Meilin is the same way,” Song Gaode attempted to appease Lu Suyin. He understood Li Yun's position and knew that Rouxi could be in her own world when researching for her show and business.

Li Yun arrived the same as Song Taiji and Secretary Liang. Li Yun’s family acted as though a celebrity had just entered the room. The moment of awe eventually turned into warm comradery. Song Taiji made people feel at ease and spoke casually. It was scary how likable the guy was. Rouxi sat next to Li Yun and was trying really hard not to roll her eyes.

“Meilin, are you all right with the wine and tea exchange in Imperial City and the reception in Yide?” asked Lu Suyin. “All the aunties would like to be involved with the reception.”

Rouxi nodded. She remembered when they all chipped in to help with Fatty Fang and Mu Lian’s wedding. “A simple wedding is fine. It doesn’t have to be too elaborate.”

Rouxi and Li Yun weren't lacking money to pay for a wedding planner, but their friends all enjoyed the planning process.

“The Song family will need around 250 seats,” said Song Taiji.

“That’s a lot,” Lu Suyin mumbled as she jotted the amount in her notebook. Lu Suyin’s family was large, but the Song likely had a lot of branches everywhere.

“There are a lot of family elders and members interested in attending,” said Song Taiji.

“I bet,” said Rouxi in a sweet tone, but tainted with slight sarcasm. “I’m sure people like Secretary Liang are all attending as well?”

Secretary Liang full name was Song Xiang Liang. He changed his last name to Song when he started working for the Song family. Servants and maids often changed their last names to the household-they served. The tradition had long stopped many decades ago but continued within the Song family among the trusted servants.

“We will probably need more chairs,” said Li Fan. He may not be the most opinionated, but he had the most common sense. “Do you think a 600-seat venue will work?”

Li Yun and Rouxi both agreed. The number they reserved for their own friends was less than family members, but it was typical of weddings; it was more for the parents than themselves.

“Are the young male cousins coming?” Asked Rouxi.

“Are you talking about Ahi and Mugen?” asked Song Gaode. “Probably not.”

“About that, are they really shipped off to boarding school in some foreign countries?” Rouxi asked. She had met a lot of the relatives, but had never seen the male adolescent cousins, Ahi and Mugen.

“Well, it’s sort of like a family tradition,” Song Gaode never told Rouxi about the test. “You don’t need to worry about it.”

“Really? I saw the news about Ahi the other day,” said Rouxi. “But he’s using a different name, Ames.”

Song Gaode was surprised. “He’s trying to be a celebrity?”

Ahi was the first of the Song Clan to become a celebrity. It wasn’t uncommon for families to use such tactics. The Chen’s family stronghold in entertainment was well-known. However, the Song wasn’t well known in the entertainment industry, except for Rouxi. Even then, she was considered a minor influencer.

“Oh? So is this some sort of family training?” Rouxi asked Song Gaode. She followed idol groups as a hobby and came across rumors of a new group debuting from the neighboring country.

“It’s a family test to see who inherits the family,” Song Taiji interjected.

“There’s really a test?” Rouxi had heard a bit of rumor from the servants, but they never elaborated since they weren’t sure of the details.

Secretary Liang‘s eyes narrowed for a moment, a brief reaction that only Li Yun caught on. The secretary was surprised that Song Taiji was willing to speak out in public about the test. His master typically didn’t explain much about the test to outsiders. However, it seemed that Song Taiji had regarded Li Yun as family.

After the family meetup dinner, Li Yun met with Song Taiji privately to discuss other matters while Rouxi drove the remaining family members back to the apartment. It was the second time they met privately but this time Rouxi was aware of his meeting.

“You’ve done some impressive work within a year,” said Song Taiji. “Your company is doing quite well. I heard through the grapevine that you’re planning additional expansions and buying up land overseas.”

“You have overestimated me,” said Li Yun. “Rouxi has done better and at a younger age.”

“She is quite something, isn’t she?” asked Song Taiji. “The first time I met you, it was only to prepare you for what is to come if you want to marry her.”

Li Yun knew there were likely other reasons why Song Taiji had pushed him to improve his personal wealth. He was unclear of the purpose until the revelation regarding the Song family trial.

“The test is to find the next family head and Meilin has the best qualifications to take it. However, there has never been a female head. There will be elders who will be against her ascension.”

Li Yun was surprised Song Taiji had such thoughts. “Have you mentioned it to her?”

“Eventually.”

“What if she doesn’t want to take over the family line?”

“She’ll need to inherit it whether she likes it or not,” said Song Taiji. “If it is fated to be, it will be.”

Li Yun hated that word, but according to Song Taiji, whoever inherited the third eye was destined to carry on the Song family for eternity. The Song family was able to maintain their prestige for centuries because they had followed the guideline.

“The elders are concerned about their fates if you select the wrong heir?”

“That is their main concern,” Song Taiji admitted. If Meng Shi hadn’t warned him about her other fate interfering, he would have had an easier time announcing her as an heir. He could push for her based on her ability as it was the key indicator of the path that the Song ancestor had indicated. Veering away from their guidelines would mean the end of the Song Family. “However, her ability is enough to trump their concern. There’s also one more thing that will convince them to let her take over.”

“You want our children to take the name of the Song?” Li Yun assumed the Song family wanted to keep their family name. If the elders were concerned about continuing the family line, then it wasn’t completely about her being female, but about their children taking on his name.

Song Taiji smiled. “You will probably want to discuss this with Meilin. I’ll wait for your answer.”

Li Yun nodded. Conversations between two people who knew their purpose and goals were often short. They didn’t need to speak to know each other’s intentions. “I have another issue to discuss with you. Regarding Zhao Mengfu’s calligraphy.”

25