Chapter 4: Human Limits
48 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mabel laid in bed as she stared up at the top of her four-post bed. There was a physician and a healer on either side of her bed.

The physician and Mabel were working on her muscle rehabilitation, as she lifted her legs up to her chest, with small weighty objects tied to her to strengthen her leg muscles.

The whole time this was going on. Anytime Mabel started to feel discomfort from the over use or muscle tearing her exercising was causing. The healer would then take this time to cast her magic.

      

And at this point, Mabel made sure to watch whenever the woman casted it.

She watched in fascination, as a white light like from a flare shone into the already well lit room. Seeming to drawn the edges of the room into darkness by the comparable brightness of the magic that was healing Mabel through her training.

            

Magic

              

There were no words in any of the 86,782 languages and dialects that she knew. That could even come close to describing how she felt, as she stared at a phenomenon that rightfully shouldn’t exist.

                

Mabel felt as the magic seemingly and, for lack of a better word. Quite magically. Heal and mended and relieved her aching muscles.

         Mable calculated that at the rate they were going with her rehabilitation. She should be back to an age appropriate fitness within half a year.

This was behind her expectations. As she estimated that a normal rehabilitation of a human of this kind of comatose patient should take more than a year with her body’s current condition.but despite this, there was one factor that was she could not have foreseen. That was throwing her calculations out of the window.

      

“*YAWN*”

Her eyelids felt heavy as the her body craved rest.

         

“Okay.” The physician declared at her bedside, as he lowered her leg back down to the bed. “We’ll stop here for today. You are doing really well Mabel. I hope you realize that.” He encouraged her.

She scoffed at his platitude.

“#… I expected better from myself... I wish this body of mine did not give out so easily…#” She complained.

This only got a chuckle from both the healer and the physician.

“Don’t we all my dear. That is the curse of aging and human constitution.”

“#*TSK* Do not remind me…#” Mabel groused.

As soon as the two packed their things and left. Mabel succumbed to her need for rest.

                                  

————————————————-

                         

             

 MKB-9000 found her days repeating as such, with the intermediate activity of rehabilitation therapy. Along with interacting with her newly acquired family.

                   

           

*SLAM*

        

MKB-9000 startled awake as she tried to comprehend what the loud bang was just then.

       

“Good Morning, Mabel!” Jacob announced loudly as he entered into her room after flinging the door wide open first thing in the morning.

Mabel felt frustration at the fact that for at least the 7th time. Her new brother unit had barged into her room and had awoken her.

“#REQUEST: Jacob. Please. This one requires peace and quiet first thing in the morning: it’s reboot processors are exceedingly slow; the slowest I have ever had. Which is why this unit require at least a full hour before it can fully operate.#”

                 

But contrary to the scolding she had just delivered to the young boy. His only response to her words were to giggle.

        

“Silly Mabel!” Jacob chided. “If I wait an hour, I won’t have time to play with you before I have to go to my lessons.” He reminded her.

MKB-9000 was also learning many new things about being mortal and being a human

Much like emotions and how to deal with them. She found the herself wanting berate her younger brother unit on many occasions, for all the insolent things he did.

Mabel watched as Jacob scurried up on over to her side on her bed.

“I brought a new book for you to read to me today Mabel.” Jacob announced as he handed over a thin book with a colorful artistry on the front.

She read the title of the newly learned calligraphy of this world she had found herself.

“#The Desert Knight?#” She questioned as she read the title of the book aloud, with an inquiring gaze at her little brother.

              He nodded emphatically at her, for her to read the book in her hands.

This only earned him an eye roll from the robotic human. As she sat up and settled against the headboard of her bed.

          Jacob smiled at his sister, as he recognized the posture as a sign of her readying herself to read for him.

          

“#So our story begins, as the brave Desert Knight...#” MKB-9000 began reading aloud to her younger brother unit.

         

But as often was the case as she read him a book. He soon drifted off and fell asleep, curled up in the crook of her arm.

              This was how most mornings went after the days of her physical therapy sessions. She would be rudely awakened by her little brother. With him pestering her with new games, or for her to tell him stories from the books he brought.

             She at first, started to tell the boy about her life as a machine out in the wider known galaxy. But their mother unit learned of these stories she told him. Which she then asked her; which was more of a demand, really. That Mabel stop telling such graphic stories to the young child. At least until he was much older.

                   

After which, that was when the mother unit started visiting more frequently.

                 

                  

*knock* *knock* *knock*

           

“Dear? It is your mother, may I come in?”

MKB-9000 blinked in surprise as she heard her mother unit through the door. It was late at night, after the evening meal. And usually none of the servants or others in her family bothered her past this time.

“#ANSWER: Yes, mother unit. You may enter. This unit is still in operational mode.#” MKB-9000 gave her mother permission to enter.

                

The door then opened to emit the tall willowy figure of the mother unit and duchess of the Brigit household.

           Her long silvery, platinum colored hair was brilliant, even in the low light emitted by the candles. Her pink jewel like eyes shone reflectively as they stared at Mabel on the bed as she entered.

           The mother unit’s gentle smile at seeing MKB-9000 staring back at her, was enough for Gracia to let out a contented sigh.

“You don’t, and probably never will. Know just how Relieved I feel at this moment: at just how wonderful this is; just to see you alive and awake once again.” Gracia told her daughter with a watery smile.

“#QUERY: Is that really true, mother unit?#” Mabel asked her.

Gracia stared at her daughter in shock at her words.

“Do you think I’m lying?” Gracia gently questioned her daughter’s new personality.

Gracia watched as her daughter lifted her shoulder slightly and let them drop. Much like how Jacob did when he wasn’t sure of an answer.

“#ANSWER: This one is not sure.#” MKB-9000 told her mother unit honestly. “#OBSERVATION: This one believes and feels that you would have been more happy, with your original daughter, Mabel, restored to you.#”

           

Gracia wasn’t upset or distraught by what her daughter’s new personality had just insinuated.

In fact. The only thing Gracia felt for the child at the moment, was pity.

          

She felt very sad for the young girl.

          

                While she didn’t understand everything about the being, that had supplanted their memories with Mabel’s. She recognized that this being inside of her daughter’s mind; was probably also just as confused and scared as Gracia currently was for the well being of her daughter.

How would it feel, I wonder? To go from everything you know or understood; from being a artificial metallic lifeform with no emotions: to being human? What is that like? Terrifying, I suspect.

Gracia shook her head. Both as to clear her thoughts, and to answer her daughter.

        

“I won’t lie to you and say that I would not have preferred to have had my daughter hail-and-whole.” Gracia stated as she walked into the room  proper, before making her way over to sit on the bed next to Mabel.

               “But,” She spoke again as she raised a hand and caressed the side of her daughter’s head. “Even if that is no longer a possibility to happen. I am just grateful, that the child I gave birth too, is not dead and gone….. *SIGH*”

She dropped her hands into her lap. Her gaze lowered to stared at her hands while she thought of her next words.

“And while I miss the bright and adventurous daughter I once knew… I also have seen things; little things, that shine out from you…” Gracia looked back up at her daughter, who was staring at her curiously. “Things that remind me of ,and that I recognize intrinsically, as my daughter. And while you may not be the same as you once were; that you’re personality may now be slightly different. I also know, that in a strange twist of fate…… That, had you not existed at all, or had not come to inhabit my daughter’s mind… I may have very well lost her completely forever.” Gracia spoke while worrying her bottom lip, as she stared at her daughter with tear filled eyes.

        

               She reached over and pulled Mabel into a chastened embrace. With a light touch of her arms around her daughter’s shoulders.

          

“I just wanted to let you know what was on my mind my darling daughter.” She whispered to Mabel.

Gracia then pulled away and stood up from her daughter’s bed. She smiled at the confused stricken child, who did not recognize the emotions she felt at this moment.

             Gracia reached down and petted her daughter’s hair. Which was as long as Gracia’s; her hair color, the same unique lustrous platinum silver as hers.

“Get some rest my dear daughter.” Gracia said to Mabel before leaning forward and kissing her forehead.

        

                She then turned and walked back towards the door, pausing to turn back, only when she was about to walk through the threshhold. She gave her alien daughter a final smile before departing, with one final words.

“Because we’ll have to start your reeducation of your etiquette lessons, very soon.” Gracia warned.

             

                

It was after this, that her morning from then on consisted of entertaining Jacob. Followed by lessons from Gracia. And then afternoons of physical therapy; the latter of which, happened only every other day: MKB-9000 did have visits from her father unit on occasions, along with her older brother unit.

But they were just simple checks about how she was operating currently. Which she found a bit tedious. But she knew her father unit only did this, because he was worried about his daughter.

Her older brother unit also visited on occasions by himself, without trailing behind their father unit.

                His curiosity seemed limitless on what MKB-9000 could teach him about things of the universe and science.

He often brought books and tomes, which held this world’s knowledge on what their scholars believed to be magical phenomenon, or magillurgy: which was the theories of why certain things were, explained through magic.

           

These books, while fascinating to read as a form of fiction. Only held things which made MKB-9000’s head hurt.

Nothing in them was correct. In terms of science that is. And everything it used to described things that happened and that they used magic to explain. It really didn’t go into enough details about how magic worked, for MKB-9000 to understand.

               Which was the real reason for her frustration.

Because these books explained nothing to her, on how magic was actually preformed. Or how it worked.

          

               Anytime she brought it up, to either her father or brother unit. They only told her that: “When the doctor clears you, with a clean bill of health. Will you be able to learn magic.”

           

So to say that Mabel was frustrated. Would be an understatement.

      

But it was also thanks to some of the other books that her older brother unit had brought her. That she also came to understand more of the world she was currently residing on.

                         

This was the routine that MKB-9000 had started undergoing for the first two weeks of her new life.            

Which had been honestly MKB-9000’s sole entertainment as she laid in bed recovering from her muscle atrophy.

              

           

————————————————

             

           

It was about two weeks later, that a knock at the door, startling the sleeping MKB-9000 awake once again.

         

*SLAM*

                         

“Morning sis!” Her little brother Jacob announced as he entered the room.

Mable stared at her brother, as he walked in with his usual enthusiastic greeting.      

         She watched as he wasted no time and crawled his way up onto her bed to lay next to her.

      

She just let out a sigh, not even bothering to repeat her regular chastisement of his abrupt entry.

“#STATEMENT: Greetings Jacob. Good morning to you as well.#”

Her reply to his greeting caused him to emit his usual giggle at how he addressed him.

“You’re so silly Mable,” He said before throwing his arms around her shoulders. “I love you.”

      

MKB-9000 lay there with her brother in her arms. Stunned to silence yet again, by the emotions that her brain, organs, and feelings for this child that she hardly knew, or hardly remembered from this Mable unit’s memories of her brother.

“#…S-STATEMENT: I love you too… Jacob.#” Mable replied.

This emotional dependency towards the young boy, was honestly just as vexing to Mabel, as the concept of magic was to her. She didn’t understand it intrinsically, as to why she cared so deeply for the boy in her lap. But she knew that from the very bottom of her being. That if anything were try to harm this brother unit in any way.

             That she would do her best to make them cease to function.

      

Jacob sat up and look down into his sister’s eyes with a bright smile on his lips.

“Ready for your surprise?!” Jacob asked her.

“#ANSWER: Yes. QUERY: Though, this one does not know what you are referring too, Jacob.#”

She watched as the boy rolled his eyes at her answer.

“Duh! For the thing you asked father for!” He sat up and clapped his hands.

Immediately, two servants brought in the device that MKB-9000 had asked for.

“You’re wheely-chair!”

This caused Mable to let out a chuckle of amusement, at the name that Jacob had given the “wheelchair” that she had commissioned her father unit to create.

“#CORRECTION: It is called a wheelchair, Jacob.#” She corrected him gently.

“Pfft! Wheelchair! Wheely-chair! What is the difference.” He argued playfully.

      

Jacob then hopped up and off of the bed, and moved over towards his sister’s new wheelchair.

“Now that you have this, you can go outside, right?”

Mable nodded her head in answer to his statement.

“#ANSWER: That is correct.#” She told him. “#With this. This unit should be able to move about more freely and be able to be more independent whilst this ones unit recovers.#”

“Right!… so you’re saying that you can now move because of this chair, right?”

Mable just let out a chuckle at the simplistic way her brother understood what she had stated.

“#That is correct,#” MKB-9000 answered. “#QUERY: Where are the father and mother units?#” She wonder about their location, and why they did not appear here with Jacob for this moment.

      

“Oh that! Yeah. They sent me up here with your new chair and these maids to come get you and get you ready.”

“#Ready for?#”

“Mom and dad couldn’t come up, because they’re entertaining guests right now. So they told me to come get you, so you can go greet our gets with us. Since you’re awake, and your wheely-chair had just been finished: dad said something about this being the perfect time to show it off, or something like that.”

        

Immediately, MKB-9000 understood the situation.

“#STATEMENT: Ah. So the emperor has arrived to see father unit has he.#”

Jacob looked at his sister with wide eyes of surprise.

“He has!” Then his expression changed to one of surprised confusion. “How did you know?”

“#ELEMENTARY: For our father’s position, and because of what you vaguely mention. Father would not have moved me for someone, unless it was someone of a higher station than him.#” Mable pointed out. “#ADDITIONALLY: And since this person wasn’t someone to who was to come visit my room. That must mean that their station is that of someone, who it is beneath them to seek anyone. Thus, only the emperor would be here to see father, and subsequently, me.#”

MKB-9000 watched as Jacob blinked at her after she finished her deduction.

“Wow.” Jacob spoke in astonishment. “You understood all that, just from what I said? Geez Mable! You’ve gotten so smart…” He said to awestruck of his sister’s intelligence.

           

Mabel waved a dismissive hand at her brother’s statement.

“#STATEMENT: This level of deduction is nothing. That is why it is called elementary: for it is the most basic conclusion.#”

This caused another set of giggles to come out of Jacob because of her response.

“Hehehe, You’re so silly Mabel.” He looked towards the maids and nodded his head. “Please help my sister with getting changed.” Jacob told the servants next to him.

The two maids nodded their heads.

“”Of course young master Jacob.”” They answered in near unison.

Jacob looked back at his sister and waved at her.

“I’ll be outside your door while you’re getting changed.” He told her before making his exit.          

              

          

After getting dressed and set, into a much too restrictive attire, in MKB-9000’s opinion. Jacob lead the way in front of her, as a maid guided them both towards the garden, where their father and their guest were currently meeting.

The other maid that had helped change MKB-9000 of her attire, was currently behind her, assisting in moving her wheelchair from behind her.

“#STATEMENT: This one wishes to protest the assistance of this servant yet again; the whole design of this chair, was to help those to become independent, even though they are too injured to walk. ADDITIONALLY: This was also a means to help facilitate more exercise for this ones unit, so that this ones body may build up endurance.#” Mabel cohesively pointed out.

This got Jacob to chuckle at his older sister’s protests.

“Mabel.” He said in a playfully chiding tone. “We can’t just do things for ourselves. As nobles, we have an obligation to uphold our standing and let people do things for us.” He reminded her.

“#OBSERVATION: Your statement is reflective of something our mother unit would say.#”

“H-Hey, Mabel! Don’t be mean.” Jacob bemoaned. “I’m not as bad as mom… and she isn’t all that strict.” He defended. “And besides,” He began to counter argument. “It’s our duty as nobles to use servants so that we can spread our wealth to the common folk.”

“#OBSERVATION: Complacency breeds contempt.#” MKB-9000 pointed out.

“What does that mean?”

“#If we do not show we are willing to put in the work or effort for things, then who would respect us enough to do the work for us.#”

Mabel watched as her young brother walked in front of her, as he pondered over the words she had just said.

        

“Well…… I guess so… But at the same time, since we have the money that we earn from the taxes of our lands. Mom said it is our responsibility to return and distribute that wealth back to our people, by providing work for them: even if it’s menial.”

         

MKB-9000 nodded her head at her brother’s point.

“#OBSERVATION: I concede that what mother unit says makes sense; but suffice it to say: that if I don’t put in the effort to do things myself, I can’t grow stronger… as a person.#” She added at the end, to make it seem more relatable for a noble’s mindset.

MKB-9000 watched as her brother looked down in contemplation of her words.

“…I guess you’re right…” He relented, but only because he wasn’t sure how to argue against what she said; even though his etiquette training told him differently.

Mabel decided that she had teased Jacob enough with being contradictory.

“#CONJECTURE: Do not fret over this, Jacob.#” MKB-9000 told her younger brother unit. “#This is not something you need to think about deeply on the matter; this is more of two opposing beliefs on two different correct paths: neither in intrinsically right or wrong; you can only do which ever you believe to be right.#”

                  After saying this. Mabel lifted her hand to tell the servant behind her to stop.

Her brother and the maid ahead of them stopped as they noticed the other two fall a step behind.

“Mabel?” Jacob called out to his sister in confusion.

      

MKB-9000 looked back at the maid behind herself and gave a nod of her head.

“#STATEMENT: I wish to wheel myself the rest of the way to the garden.#”

“Young miss… are you sure?”

“Yeah, Mabel. Are you sure you’re up to go that far?” Jacob asked his sister with worry in his voice.

                  To which, Mabel nodded her head towards them both.

      

“#ANSWER: I am: I wish to test out the capabilities of my unit, and strengthen it by doing some light exercise.# She looked back at the main behind her. Who had yet to release her grip on the handles of the wheelchair; as she was obviously reluctant to let her mistress wheel the chair herself.

                     MKB-9000 just nodded her head once more.

“#CONJECTURE: It will be fine. If this chair was constructed correctly. Then this unit, and even one weaker than myself, should be able to move this chair with relative ease.#” Mabel told her. “SUPPLICATION: Please allow me this much. By my estimates, we are halfway towards the castle’s garden’s correct?#” without waiting for the maid to confirm, Mabel continued her pleading. “#I promise you: that you will suffer no reprisal for allowing me this luxury.#” She told her. “#I only wish to test the boundaries and limits of my chassis and energy reserves.#”

The woman behind her was bitting her lower lip in indecision.

                 She had been listening in on the conversation that young master Jacob and young mistress Mabel had been having. And while it wasn’t her place to comment on such things. She felt that the ideas that the young mistress brought forth was more noble and honorable than what was traditional.

          

              #”BARTER: Please allow me this much; you can stay with me, Hilda. And at any point I become fatigued. You may continue to assist me in the movement of my wheelchair.#

      

The maid was stunned and shocked to silence.

“Y-You……” Hilda stammered in disbelief. “You remember my name, mistress Mabel?” The brown haired mousey maid asked her mistress and charge.

“#ANSWER: Of course I do: I make it a priority to never forget a face or name of those I interact with. QUERY: Is that so strange for a lord to remember their vassal’s name?#”

            

It was those words from Mabel; those honest and kind words that showed that she remembered Hilda as a person by remembering her name, that made her finally give in.

“Okay,” Hilda said with raised hands. “Okay!…… Y-You win miss Mabel… I will stay behind you and await your instructions.

“Hilda!” The maid in front of them shouted in disbelief at her compatriot’s actions.

“I know! I know I shouldn’t, but!—“ She looked down at Mabel, who was staring up at her with a blank, yet earnest expression.

             “UGH!” The maid grunted with a hand gripping at her chest at the child’s expression. C-Cute!

“A-As long as you let me know the moment you get tired, mistress Mabel. I-I’ll concede and allow you to push yourself.”

        

The other maid ahead of their group just shook her head in disbelief at Hilda’s decision.

Jacob stood there dumbfounded at how Mabel was able to get the maid to do what she wanted.

Mable, for her part. Did something else that no one expected.

           

Mable smiled softly at the maid in thanks for the acquisition of freedom.

C-CUTE!!!

                

Both of the maids standing there looking at Mabel, think the same thing; that Mable smiling genuinely at the Hilda, made her a 1000% times more beautiful and cuter.

                 “#GRATITUDE: Thank you Hilda! Thank is most agreeable.#” Mabel looked back towards the maid that was out in front of their group. “#And I hope, miss Malory. That you will not treat Hilda harshly or denounce her because of the request I made of her.#”

Malory felt her heart skip a beat, as that angelic smile was directed towards her now.

                     She felt her face heat up at the attention that the young miss Mabel had been directing towards her.

“O-Of course!” Malory stammered at the unexpectedness of having Mabel address her by name. “W-What kind of person do you think I am, miss Mabel; I know how to h-hold my tongue.” She said indignantly.

            

MKB-9000 smiled again.

                    But this time, it was mostly to herself. Wih how pleased she was.

She didn’t expect how easy it would be, to manipulate the servants of this place with her new appearance or her words and simple gestures.

                   But she knew now. That while she probably didn’t need to; she could probably get people to do things for her and work for her more readily in this body, than she could ever have envisioned or coerced as her previous form.

While this body is indeed weak. It does have its advantages.

          

She nodded towards Malory.

“#STATEMENT: Let us be off then; We should not keep father mother, or the emperor waiting.#” Mabel said in reminder.

At once. Mabel watched as the color and blood drain from the maids cheeks, as they remembered the guest they were currently keeping waiting.

“Y-Yes! We should move!” Malory stammered nervously.

              

Mabel chortled softly at the maids abrupt behavior. She wondered if it was solely because of the fact that they had been distracted enough by MKB-9000’s ploy. Or because of the status of the guest they were currently keep waiting for their presence.

She smiled either way. As she reached down for the first time, towards the large barred wheels at the side of her chair.

She pushed with all the strength her limbs could muster, which helped propel her forward a few inches.

Mabel felt a grin over take her face as she succeeded in moving the wheelchair by her own power.

                         She was also thrilled to have seen how relatively easy it was to move by herself. Proving just how well the wheelchair was constructed as instructed by the designs she had drawn.

                

She looked back up. But was stopped by the expression of three smirking faces looking at her.

“#W-What?!#” Mabel groused at their stares.

      

“””C-Cute!”””

              

Mabel, for only the second time in her life, felt her cheeks enflame from embarrassment at the gazes of adoration she was receiving, because of the enjoyment she was having at pushing the wheelchair.

          

Mabel decided to ignore them, and pushed on the bars of the wheels. Propelling her forward.

“#STATEMENT: Let us be off, shall we.#” She told them simply as she moved past them.

        

“Hehehe!~ Mabel, You’re so silly!~” Jacob laughed at his big sister’s antics.

             

The group of four, found them arriving at the gardens not long after that. And it was only a short distance through the gardens once they entered. That Jacob and Mabel spotted a couple of figures under a pavilion.

      

“Mommy!” Jacob cried as he ran ahead of their group. Running towards the group gathered together sitting under the roof of the pavilion, sitting around a table with many delightful looking desserts and sandwiches.

            

Mabel watched from afar, as After Jacob finished running up to their mother unit. He promptly received a lecture about running wild as he had towards them: how unbecoming it was as a noble.

                       But MKB-9000 could see well enough as she approached, that her mother unit was gripping her forehead in exasperation, as the bright smile of the young child hugging her around the waist, took no heed to her words.

Mabel smiled, as she knew her mother unit would not stay angry, and so just give up on lecturing Jacob altogether.

           

        

          

                       How she knew this for certain. She had no conceivable inclination:

                      

                        She just knew.

              

                     

After coming closer to the pavilion. MKB-9000 noticed the other three figures sitting across from her mother unit.

               The older of the three was very opulently dressed, and adorned with a multitude of fine jewelry.

Much to Mabel’s shock. While her dress rose colored dress and jewelry stood out and was very opulent.

What struck MKB-9000 most was the color of the woman’s hair.

        

Green.

            

Forest green.

               

Her hair was as much green as the color of the trees around them.

This immediately made MKB-9000 curious and baffled.

                 While it wasn’t strange to see ostentatious colors of hair. Or see people with different color skin, or body modifications, or even cybernetic enhancements out in the galaxy.

Seeing as this planet, resembled something out of a classical era civilization.

                 MKB-9000 was not expecting to see anything as alien as this person. With her hair blending into the background of the trees behind her. Her ears elongated, much more than her family’s own physical characteristic human ears.

                

The other two had the table, look to be about the same age as Mabel herself. If only slightly older than herself.

                 

The young man at the table, had golden hair, unlike the woman who sat next to him. His ears, only slightly elongated, compared to the woman’s: which MKB-9000 had deduced to be the child’s mother.

His expression was one of boredom and apathy. He looked like he wanted to be anywhere but his current location.

One could say, were it not for his stern and sullen expression. That he would be a handsome young man.

          

But the other child, the one on the left of the woman sitting opposite of Mabel’s mother unit.

                          She was much like the woman she sat next too.

She wore a matching pink dress like her mother. But contrary to the mother sitting next to her.

Her hair, while green like her mother’s. Had obviously had inherited some of the golden genetics from the child’s father.

But rather than just green mixed with gold.

               It was like the gold was wrapping around each individual strand of her hair. Making it shine in a contrasting way to her mother’s.

          

While her mother’s had been the leaves of the forest blowing in the wind.

            This child’s was more of a shining jewel of an emerald: the golden flicks in her hair, only accentuated the green of her locks; making the green almost seem to shine or glow within the light of day shining down on her.

                    

                                          

“Ah! There she is,” Gracia spoke as she stood, with Jacob still wrapped around her waist. “There is my darling… *SIGH* …Daughter…. Why are you moving your chair yourself?” Gracia sighed in exasperation as she glared at the maids, who were currently standing behind Mabel; trying to make themselves  appear as small as possible.

       

MKB-9000 shrugged her shoulders.

“#ANSWER: I wished to test the capabilities and performance of both my body and the wheelchair: which could only be done, if I were to operate it myself.#”

Gracia expected this kind of answer. And while she felt that it wasn’t an incorrect thing for Mabel to do.

                   

                        “*sigh* I do wish. That you had at least waited to do such tests until after our guests had left.” She scolded. “What if you had exhausted or injured yourself; we would have been embarrassed at having to tell your guests that you had indisposed of yourself, because of your recklessness.” Gracia groused with a hand rubbing her forehead in exasperation.

            

                 “Huhuhu~”

                

The woman across the table chortles at the sight of her human friend’s evident exasperation at her children’s behavior.

                     “My!” She began to saying. “What spirited youth.” She said with an amused smile. “They most drive their mother as crazy as mine do.” The green haired woman said as she put down her hand-fan, to ruffle the hair of her son next to her.

“M-Mother?!” He groused in frustration at her coddling. It was the firdt time his expression had changed at all; morphing into the shape of mortification. But only for the instant his mother unit took him by surprise.

                  He quickly pushed her hand aside with his own, before straightening his appearance.

                        

After listening to her mother unit, and watching the exchange between the other woman and her child. MKB-9000 turned her attention back towards her own mother unit.

“#QUERY: Mother unit. I was under the impression that father unit and the emperor were to be here as well: has father unit taken the emperor around the garden for a private discussion?#”

                    But contrary to the response she was expecting. Her mother jest let out another sigh at the mention of her father unit.

                    This also brought another round of chortles from the woman across from her mother unit.

“Huhuhuhu~“

After a moment delay, as her mother unit gripped her head in frustration yet again. She let out another sigh before answering.

        

“*Sigh* …I suppose… that would be one way of looking at it…” Gracia groused. She looked towards her daughter. Then beckoned her with a wave of her hand. “Come join us up here, and you’ll understand.”

                

Not one to ask needless questions. Mabel assumed that, if an explanation would come as a result of her approach. Then she should just comply.

                        Thus, she rolled her wheels, heading towards the pavilion. She once she approached the structure proper. She noticed a large wooden incline, that was half covering the wide stone steps that led under the pavilion’s roof.

                           

As soon as her wheel made contact with the wooden incline. MKB-9000 stopped.

She studied the plane in scrutiny, as she did a quick calculation of whether or not she could push herself up the ramp herself.

        

She decided it wasn’t worth the extra effort to try and push herself up the ramp herself.

                  MKB-9000 turned to look at Hilda to ask her to push her up the ramp.

                

                      

“MABEL!”

        

MKB-9000’s head snapped around at the shout of her mother unit’s voice.

                   Gracia’s words and disappointed scowling face, made Mabel pause her actions. This was the first time she had ever seen her mother unit look at her like this before.

                     

                 There was. A certain feeling that came over MKB-9000 at that moment, as she stared up at her mother unit’s current expression.

         

Her body trembled.

      

She felt her it harder to breath, or to even take a break at all. Like the muscles in her lungs wouldn’t allow her to even expand them; like she was holding her breath, waiting for her mother unit to give her permission just do something her body did naturally.

              

W-What is this? What is this feeling? I—… I never—

         

“Mabel.” Gracia addressed her daughter. “Were you about to have that servant push you up that ramp. Just because you thought you couldn’t.”

MKB-9000 recognized this strict tone. She wasn’t sure how. But the tone of her mother unit’s voice, rang in her auditory receptors, like an echoing reverberation inside of a wide enclosed space.

       

“If you were so determined to find and test your limits snd strengths: then I expect you to do so, to the fullest of your abilities. Until you physically can’t anymore.” Gracia spoke sternly as she stood up, placing her youngest child on the chair next to hers.

             

                    “You are a Brigit.”          

               

“You are the daughter of a proud noble family!” Gracia lectured. “You have a duty to up hold as a member of this family:”

Gracia flipped her hair to behind her head, as she stared at her daughter in contempt; Her daughter staring up at her with wide eyes filled with nervousness and anxiety.

              

“So don’t sit there; trembling in fear and despair, because you think you can’t do something. Because for a member of house Brigit: We never say die, and we never give up, until that breath has left our body; We always finish what we have started.”

                      

                 

MKB-9000 sat there for a moment, as she contemplated and thought of the words her mother had just spoken to her.

            

She thought back to her previous form; her other life as a machine.

                      Back then, if a situation called for it, or it deemed it to risky to be worth trying. It knew it always had a way out; a way to escape back to its mother processor: that the destruction of its current unit, didn’t necessarily mean the end for it.

But now. She wasn’t just some sort of machine or constructed chassis for her to operate inside.

                            Now, she was a living being; now, her body got tired, instead of just low on energy. Her body got hurt and scarred. Instead of just damaged, and in need of repairs.

          

But unlike her previous body. This one improved itself with use; it tired and was not able to recharge as quickly as her previous body; but this body didn’t need to stop at a hundred percent capacity; it was able to go above and beyond.

                     While she was exercising with the physician and healer. They always pushed her to go on through the pain of the aches in her body.

Now, her mother unit was asking the same to her: to finish the last bit of her journey that she had taken. To not give up after coming so far. To continue on, and finish the experiment she had started.

       

Mabel’s face set in a firm expression, as she gripped the wheel’s assist bars tightly. She then pushed forwards on the wheels, pushing herself up against the slight incline.

After pushing as hard as she could, MKB-9000 cleared the first bump, onto the ramp.

Her muscles ached as she set out to complete this task, and finish the test she had begun.

                   She pushed forward again. Her hands throbbing in pain, from where she had been gripping the wheel so tightly. There was a stinging, hot sensation in her forearms and tricepses.

Her shoulders ached with a burning dull pain, as she continually used them to help with her leverage on the assist bars on the wheelchair.

Every inch MKB-9000 traveled, felt like she was being pushed past every conceivable limit she thought she had previously; she had already used up a considerable amount of energy, just getting to the gardens: she had no plans to push herself this hard or this far, just to test her human capabilities.

          

                     But, after her mother’s words. She realized, she was more than just a mere human; she was more than the machine she was previously.

In this body, she practically had no limits; with this form. She was more than just calculations and estimates. When this body became exhausted, that didn’t mean the end.

                              It was only the beginning.

She could push this form past all conceivable limits that a machine would have. It could go on for much longer than what she imaged. As long as she stayed determined to finish what she started.

                   

*bang* *bang*

                     

Mabel’s wheels hit the top of the ramp, as she glided herself into the pavilion. Towards her mother, who was standing there in front of her, with a large proud smile on her face.

                    

“#*Gasp* Hhaa *Gasp* HhaaaHow wasHhaaThat, mother?#” MKB asked her mother as she started to slump forward in her chair.

            

MKB felt long arms snake behind her and a warm body catch her, as she began to fall forward.

          

The young girl felt a larger head rest on her shoulders, as her loving and encouraging mother held her safely in her arms.

Through her blurry vision. She saw a light that drowned out the light shining down from above, beyond the pavilion’s room.

“I have never been more proud of you Mabel, my darling daughter. Never.” Gracia whispered lovingly into her daughter’s ear.

3