2.110 Banishment Magic
2.1k 8 96
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hi,” I said as I approached, extending an arm to shake his hand.

“Greetings, Kealyna,” He said as he shook it. “How is Thymhil treating you so far?”

“Excellent. I haven’t met many people yet, but people have been nice to me, generally.”

I supposed the only exception was the jewelry lady.

“Good to hear,” He said. “I heard there’s something important you have to tell me.”

I nodded. “There is. Hold on a second.”

I lifted Elira from my back, placed her on the ground, and patted her head.

“We’ll go for our talk now, okay?”

She nodded and ran over to my mother, who took her hand and entered the building. She reappeared a minute or so later.

“So,” I started when my mother returned. “Let’s get to the point. I’m sure you’ll appreciate that.”

I inhaled deeply before I started my monologue.

“To the south, outside Len Asari province, there are three stone pillar structures, obelisks they are called. After I passed one of them on the way here, a beam of light shot from its top. I soon after had a ritual where I talked to Elysa. She informed me that the light that shot from the obelisk was in fact a remnant of banishment magic from ancient times. She didn’t know a whole lot more, but urged me to find out whatever I could. The problem is that the obelisks are older than Elysa, so to find anything will be exceedingly hard. An archivist at the wall knows of the story and sent out scouts to collect any tomes and books on the subject, and since I got here way before any of them will arrive, I thought it prudent to inform you of the situation.”

“Did you say banishment magic?” Soranir looked at me with stern eyes, and the most serious expression I’d ever seen in my life.

“Yes. Elysa said it was a very, very ancient type, and that the structures seemed to function as anchors for the spell. The magic in them, as far as I managed to find out, seems to have diminished over the years. That little bit of information is important, as it means the other two monoliths will eventually deplete as well.”

“Banishment magic,” Soranir started before a long pause. “Is bad news.”

He peered deep into my eyes, sending shivers down my spine.

“If you’re lying about this, know that the punishment is severe.”

“I can assure you I’m not. I swear that on my honor as a knight. I also have a witness in Cellestra, and another in a succubus named Gwyn of the Caidrean blood. She is employed at one of the checkpoints at the border, together with Vyath, the archivist I spoke of. I bought the token to have this weapon crafted off of him.”

I planted the butt of my halberd into the gravel.

“I also want to add that this is very sensitive information. Not many people know about it, and I’d like to keep it that way. I’m sure you understand.”

“To prevent panic,” Soranir added to my sentence, to which I nodded.

“I am not quite sure how to go from here,” He continued. “We have a library, and I’ll have it turned upside down to find anything. Besides that, I can do as your archivist did, and send out messengers to nearby villages to have them scoured as well, but what do we do beyond that?”

“I don’t know,” I admitted. “I believe there are going to be camps set up to monitor the area surrounding the obelisks. If my presence is required, I am going to be summoned. What we need more than anything, and preferably as fast as possible, is information.”

My mother and father were listening intently to our conversation quietly, concern showing on their faces.

“If I may ask, what do you know about banishment magic?”

“That it’s used to seal away creatures in prisons,” Soranir started. “It’s exceedingly rare for someone to possess the magic to cast such spells, let alone use it. The only reason for it ever to be used is because the creature in question is too powerful for them to take on, but it’s not to be used lightly as it consumes some of its caster’s soul. From your story, I have to conclude there is something powerful, far more powerful than anything I’ve heard of, imprisoned somewhere near there.”

“Crap,” I let out.

“And anchors for magic, I’ve heard of them, but not of that magnitude. Then there's the fact they seem to deplete. We may have to inform the king and ready the army… and the guilds.”

That wasn’t at all what I wanted to hear, but I was at least happy to get some insight into what was going on. If there was anything I hated about this, it was being left in the dark. Still, it confirmed the situation was grave, but I hadn’t seen Gwyn’s pet fly here yet. I hoped it was a sign there would be time to sort things out.

“I won’t inform the king just yet, but if you receive any information, any sign you are summoned there, I will. I trust you will let me know when that happens.”

“I will.”

I was going to trust Soranir’s judgment in this. While I was certain it would be fine to keep the number of people who knew about this small for the time being, from what the mayor had just told me, it could escalate one day.

“Can we meet again tomorrow?” he asked as he stood up. “We’ll have the entire library combed, possible all throughout the night. I’d like to look at possible findings tomorrow.”

“Uhh,” I let out. “Tomorrow will be okay, but it will have to be somewhere in the afternoon or evening, after we finish our guild trial.”

“Consider that arranged then. Thank you for notifying me about all this. We’ll talk again tomorrow.”

He was off to his horse, mounted it, and galloped off, the gravel crunching beneath his horse’s hooves before it reached grass and dirt. I was left praying he would find something in the library. I would have helped him, but I doubted I’d be able to enter, and even if I could, I’d probably cause more problems than help.

I let out a deep sigh, knowing that my life was going to be thrown into turmoil again sooner or later.

“You okay?” Cellestra asked after she’d walked up to my side.

“Yes, I’m okay. I’m glad Soranir seems to understand the situation. The banishment magic part wasn’t that pleasant to hear, though.”

“That sounded scary, for sure.”

“Kealyna,” My mother called out. Then, without further words, she walked up to me and took me in for a hug, her hands behind my head as she pushed it onto her shoulder. She then ran them through my long hair. I was about to comment and say I was fine, but I realized this wasn’t about me.

As much as I was able to fight my way through things, including feelings and even worries (partly thanks to Cellestra) I understood that my mother didn’t have that luxury.

I let her caress me to her heart's desire as she whispered my name for a second time.

“I love you, mom,” I whispered as I hugged her back. “Always have, always will.”

“I know you do, sweetie. I love you too.”

“I’m sorry for making you worry,” I continued.

“It’s alright. It’s not your fault, we know that.”

“I know…”

“Thank you,” I said after a while, as my mom broke away. “I wish I could make this easier on you.”

“I trust you, Kealyna. As you said earlier, this would have happened no matter what. I’m proud of your actions and confident you’ll be able to help.”

I looked over at my dad, who didn't say anything, but nodded, agreeing with his wife’s words. Perhaps my mother was right. Maybe I should take this as an opportunity for them to be proud of me. Whatever may come, I was sure it was going to be dangerous, but with an entire kingdom there to tackle the problem, we would overcome this, and I could make that name for myself that I wanted to.

I needed to train more. I needed to get stronger. I swore that after tomorrow and even on the day itself, I’d work hard to improve myself and help Cellestra out, too.

I nodded and thanked my mother once more.

“Shall we go get Elira?” I then asked. “She has to be bored out of her mind.”

“Wait for just a second,” Cellestra said, raising a finger. “While she’s not here, do you want me to help teach her magic?”

“Hard choice,” I said. “Mom, dad, how well can she keep secrets?”

“Is there something wrong?” My father asked.

“No,” I said, shaking my head. “There’s nothing wrong, but you see, the only way Cellestra can teach Elira magic is through the use of a unique spell. We do not want people to know about it.”

“Oh,” He replied.

“It’s okay,” Cellestra said. “We can wait if you want. I don’t mind.”

“I think it will be okay,” My mom said. “She’s an honest girl, and I’m sure having a good talk will help. I understand its risks. Perhaps, if she does too, it would help, but it’s up to you.”

“Let’s think about it a bit more,” Cellestra suggested.

“Alright,” My mother said. “I’ll go get her. Thank you anyway, Cellestra. You’re a very sweet girl.”

I chuckled and then smiled as I noticed a blush appear on the brunette’s face. A very sweet girl, indeed.

96