Chapter 23
1.1k 3 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I gave myself enough time to at least calm down before we went out. Trying to focus on double-checking every thought, word and action that came out of me, I slowly regained a sense of self-control. I still didn't know what to expect from Suzanne, and I dreaded the worst, sneaking out in the early mornings to go to work and trying to peek around corners when returning. I was so afraid I almost forgot about Ra'zizi and the Lord of Hell - until the former began to also knock on my door in the middle of the night. But as time went on, as days passed and nothing happened - besides Suzanne's insistent texting, calling, and once-in-a-while door banging, my dread waned and became just deep unease. I would probably spend more time cooped up inside, but finally my second date with Izzie came to be.

"You promise?" she asked as we were walking down a shopping street, cups of coffee in hands.
"I promise. I'm no cheater," I reassured her.
"I sure hope so..." she said and fell silent for a longer while.
"Sorry," Izzie shook her head, and her hair fluttered in the air. "I just have some... attachment issues..."
"Ah, I see," I replied, not knowing what to say at a moment like this.
"No, it's not what you think!" she seemed to pre-empt a question that she must have heard before. "It's just... My family wasn't always the most supportive... Ah, anyway, let's enjoy this day!"
Having seen her smile at me and feel her hand lightly tug onto mine made me forget for a moment - about everything. I had roughly five seconds of bliss to enjoy, holding her hand as we waited for the light at the crossing to change before I saw Ra'zizi standing on the other side, making an obscene gesture with her hands and jutting her eyes between me and Izzie.

We went way past the main arcade and turned to quieter side streets, where some second-hand book stores stood side by side small food vendors and electronics repairs. The air would at times smell of pancakes and syrup as we treaded down a paved walkway, shadowed by tall apartment buildings. It was way quieter than the street before.
Isabella looked around us and upwards, examining the buildings, then back into the windows of the stores as I let my eyes idly wander around, sneaking a peek at her.
When we were passing a games and hobby store, I instinctively stopped after looking deeper inside. It was clearly some family-owned store, with a mixed style decor cobbled up from various shelves decorated with game posters. There was a table, surrounded by chairs from non-matching sets, with a group of people playing some board game. My eyes were almost instantly caught by a girl - she looked very familiar. Another second of staring and I was certain - we went to the same high school! The long, black hair, slightly unkempt as always, baggy sweater, round glasses-
"What? Are they playing some cool game?"
"Ah!", I jumped up slightly as Izzie's voice woke me up. "No, I mean, I don't know, I just thought I recognized someone I knew."
"Hmm? Maybe you can introduce me later?"
"Maybe..."

We went on to wander around some more and even managed to catch a last minute ticket to a small cinema that we didn't plan to visit. I never figured Izzie liked thrillers, but throughout the viewing she was focused solely on the screen, almost unaware of my presence.
I couldn't resist trying to touch her - ever so gently putting my hand on hers. She seemed to only reflexively touch me back. The moment the thought of touching her knee came up, a voice I was already used to piped up.
"Yes, like that, she wants it. Just look at her..." I felt a demonic hand try and drag my left hand towards Izzie's legs and put up as much resistance as I could. "Come on, get in there!"
Once I was pulling hard to retract my hand, Ra'zizi let go, and I ended up almost slamming my elbow into the armrest.
"Hm? What's wrong?" Izzie turned to me and whispered.
"Nah, nothing, let's just watch..."

The sun was setting as we walked back down the familiar road to our apartments. We were both quite tired, but we had an extra spring in our steps. Izzie felt me lagging behind, so she walked a few paces in front of me, then did a humorous little twirl, letting her skirt twist around. I felt happy, happier than I could believe.
"Ahem..." she said once she was back next to me. "Thanks for the date, it was very nice!"
"Glad you enjoyed it," I replied.
"I did, that Italian place was really good too! And um..."
She fell silent then chuckled.
"I'm sorry about bringing up my family stuff," she looked back at me with pleading eyes. "Can you promise you'll keep what I said a secret?"
"Of course!" I reassured her. "Don't worry about it!"
I realized this too, was a first for me - a girl confiding this deeply in me.
After less than a minute spent walking silently, we were about to turn down the road that went straight to the entrance of the complex. I looked back at Izzie.
"I hope things between you and your family are fine now."
She smiled politely.
"How's your brother?"
"Was worse, now is a bit better..."
"Oh. Hope he gets back to full health-"
"He's in a wheelchair" Izzie cut me off and I felt very flustered.
"Sorry..."
"No, don't, it's fine," she said and smirked bitterly. "I just don't like talking about my family all that much..."
I made a mental note and underlined it twice right then and there.

In less than five minutes, we were standing in front of her apartment's door. I held her gently while we were making out. It started out with just a simple kiss, but before I realized, Izzie went for a second one, and a third. I felt the softness of her full lips on mine, trying to not screw up what I meant to be a caressing touch on her back. It seemed as if no matter what I did, she only got more excited.
Finally, we parted lips and she looked at me - I have never seen her give that type of look to anyone. There was something determined in it.
"Matt... It's... It's been so nice and..." she took a longer pause to breathe. "I was wondering..."
I wanted to invite myself into her apartment. I wanted it so badly.
"Go on! Take that sporty ass and pound it! Give her that workout!" Ra'zizi yelled my deepest desires into my ears.
"How about we go out again?" I responded to Izzie.
"What?!" Ra'zizi tried to butt in.
"Yeah! But... soon?" Izzie seemed a bit knocked off-track by the proposition, but still as eager. Was there anything she wouldn't agree to? I banished the thought as soon as it appeared, but I knew it would fester inside the corners of my mind.

17