Chapter 39
395 4 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Over what felt like hours, I tried my best to narrate what happened between me and Izzie as concisely as I could remember it. Occasionally, I'd look at Gordon, who seemed at all times preoccupied with the fingernails on his right hand, slumping into almost laying back in his chair. I presumed I didn't say anything warranting a throat clear—yet, at the end of my telling, after a long pause during which officer Parkland was furiously scribbling something in her notes, detective Rellin went back to the very beginning. She started examining every fact I mentioned, exactly in the order I said them. We must have gone over the same things at least five times, as she asked for clarifications on things that I've mostly forgotten, and that was way before she asked any specifics about our last date that night.

"... So, at that time, you thought she might be interested in seeing you?" Natasha inquired with a raised eyebrow, going back to the time I first asked Izzie out. Her tone of voice seemed to be the unwavering, calm and dispassionate.

"Yes... yes..." I kept on nodding, at a loss as to what to say. What did they want me to say?

"Do you remember if-" she continued, but abruptly stopped as we all heard the door handle rattle.

Officer Parkland, detective Rellin and I all turned to look, and I remember how uneasy it made me feel to see Ra'zizi standing there with a mischievous smile barely hid by her left hand. Her right hand still on the handle, she gave it another rattle. It looked like she strained to actually make it move, through all the sardonic smiling. The detective and the officer exchanged looks and Natasha slowly walked up to the door to check it. It looked so bizarre, her standing almost face to face with the succubus, completely unaware of her presence. She carefully turned the handle and pulled to check on the other side.

"... Weird," she concluded, shutting it again. Ra'zizi was trying to hold the handle, but her efforts were fruitless against the detective.

I pretended to be as bewildered as them and we went back to the questions. Ra'zizi pouted, rolled her eyes and started pacing around the room.

"Has there ever been any animosity between you and Izzie?" Natasha asked.

"What do you mean?" I responded. I felt like there was something strange about the way she asked the question, and I remember how it felt like she was forcing herself to ask the next question in a casual manner.

"Have you ever had a fight?"

The silence in the room afterward made it feel like the air was thickening. I felt like I knew where this was going and for the first time since the conversation started, I saw Gordon glance at me.

"No," I responded, "never."

"I see... So, not even small disagreements like-"

"Never," I responded with more emphasis and realized I started clutching my hand. "I already told you, everything was fine!"

Natasha nodded slowly and, unlike most of the time when she had been eyeballing me, I could see her looking to her side for a moment. I realized then that Ra'zizi was trying to push a water bottle off the table—it had already left a trail of condensation almost a centimeter long, I straightened up my posture and looked at the officer, then the detective. I looked up at Ra'zizi, who was kneeling with one leg on the table, straining to push with both hands. She met my gaze, and I began to slightly shake my head to get her to stop, which was only met by her silently nodding and pushing further. The bottle seemed to vibrate for a moment, and I heard the blonde officer gasp.

"Okay, I think that's enough," I declared. My voice felt weak, and sweat was pouring down my torso. "I don't want to do this anymore."

"The interview?" Natasha asked, "but we still haven't gone over the-"

"I'm sorry, I'm not feeling good talking about those things," I said quickly. "It's been a very turbulent time for me, and, and..."

"But we really need your help here..." Natasha asked, then nodded at Megan, "don't we?"

"Uh... Yes, yes!" Megan confirmed, then ruffled through papers more vigorously than necessary.`

"Well, I don't like this form of interview," I said, and hesitated, "I've already told you what happened, I can just send you a written statement-"

I felt a tug on my arm. Gordon cleared his throat and stood up.

"I think that will be it, ladies," he declared, buttoning up his jacket. "My client and I will be leaving."

I noticed out of the corner of my eye, the water bottle started shifting way faster. I felt my heart start pounding, between the detective, Ra'zizi and the police officer, it was as if I was being cornered.

"But," Natasha interjected, "while we can, we would rather ask more questions about some things," Natasha partially stood up, which made her seem to loom over me, her eyes seemingly piercing through.

"Is my client being detained?" Gordon asked.

I heard Ra'zizi groan. "This is so boring..." she complained, then got close to me and started trying to sit on my lap while grinding her breasts against my shoulders.

"But, just one thing, you said about that night..." Natasha began again, gesturing at Megan, who flipped through her pages, trying to find what she wrote down before.

I looked up at Gordon, feeling desperate.

"Detective, unless we're under arrest, we're leaving," he announced and gestured towards me to get up.

Ra'zizi groaned louder, like a petulant child. I saw her strain, winding up for a backhand so hard she cringed before slapping the bottle, which caused it to tumble sidewards and fall off the table. She stood up and stuck out her tongue, before looking away from me.

"What the...?" Natasha looked at it with confusion as the bottle started to roll towards Megan, who almost instinctively stood up and backed away, looking down with fear.

Without waiting for further developments, I stood up, and began walking towards the lawyer already making his way to the door.

"Ah, now it's getting interesting," Ra'zizi whispered to me.

I realized Natasha was looking down at the bulge in my crotch that Ra'zizi had caused with her wiggling. Putting my hands above my crotch, I started nervously shuffling to join the lawyer.

"Oh..." Natasha paused, "well, I guess in that case-"

"Please just let me go, I wanna go home!" I begged.

"Okay, well..." the detective nodded at Megan, and exchanged glances with the lawyer, who shrugged and tilted his head. "In that case, I guess we're done. Sorry for keeping you for so long."

I awkwardly shuffled to the door as Natasha opened it with Megan at her side.

"Well, thank you for stopping by, we're sorry to dig into this matter so soon," she gave me a polite smile and nudged the female officer with her elbow, "aren't we?"

"Uh, yes, yes! Sorry, but we need to get this matter settled!" Megan responded with a high-pitched voice and awkwardly extended her hand.

Shaking her hand, I felt how sweaty it was. Gordon had already slid out of the room and started to nod at me and away.

"If you do remember anything important, please let us know," Natasha concluded while shaking my hand again. Trying to remain calm, I felt a sudden faint spell begin to overcome me in a moment. My head started spinning and my vision blurred and darkened.

"Anything that can help us," I heard Natasha's voice fading.

"Why don't you tell them something interesting?" I heard Ra'zizi say.

No, not at this moment, I thought, but all my resistance was reduced to a silent groan.

"Seems like I have to do the talking," she said.

In a panic, before losing my vision, hearing only muffled sounds of Gordon and Natasha, I tried to jerk my whole body away, but it was as if I was paralyzed. I gathered up all my strength and I felt the light come back, then the vision sharpen. I remember looking at Parkland and Rellin trying to hold me up, stopping me from falling. Without thinking, the words slipped from my mouth, like I was an animated puppet,

"How about a solid di..." my voice said with a slur. Coming back to consciousness I barely managed to stop myself from finishing the question, and both women opened their eyes with bewilderment, "Ah, sorry... what did I say?"

"Sorry, my client isn't feeling well," I heard Gordon say before they could answer. He yanked me away by the collar and directed me down the corridor. "Let's go, champ!"

11