Ch. 15 – Flowers
26 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Ding!

The bell symbolized that class had officially started. Mrs. Oxford performed a quick headcount and quickly began to start teaching the class.

"Yesterday, we went over the medicinal factors of several plants. Does anyone remember the names of the plants we went over?" (Professor Oxford)

A girl, sitting in the very front of the class, raised their hand, desperate to answer the question. Mrs. Oxford looked around the classroom to see if anyone else was willing to answer, but there was no one.

"Yes, Lauryn?" Mrs. Oxford said in defeat.

"We talked about the Snow Flax, Spicy Bitterweed, and Eelard." (Lauryn)

"Yes, you are correct, Lauryn, you may sit back down now." (Mrs. Oxford)

"As student Lauryn had pointed out, the three plants we talked about yesterday were Snow Flax, Spicy Bitterweed, and Eelard. Can someone else answer the common medicinal property of these three plants?" (Professor Oxford)

Lauryn already raised her hand before Mrs. Oxford finished her question. Mrs. Oxford looked around the classroom again, hoping to find a raised hand that didn't belong to Lauryn. To her dismay, it seemed that the students had mutually agreed to let Lauryn answer all the questions.

"Yes, Lauryn..." (Professor Oxford)

"The three plants all share anti-inflammatory and pain-killing properties." (Lauryn)

"That is correct. Can someone who is not Lauryn answer which environments these three plants inhabit?" (Professor Oxford)

Seemingly ignoring the first part of Mrs. Oxford's question, Lauryn raised her hand once more, beckoning Mrs. Oxford to call on her.

Mrs. Oxford, ignoring Lauryn, randomly called a student's name from the attendance sheet.

"Barry."

Barry, a beast person with doggish features, sprung up from his seat when he heard his name called by the professor.

"Umm. Professor Oxford, could you repeat the question?" (Barry)

"Sit down. Valde." (Professor Oxford)

"The Snow Flax grows only in cold environments. The plant is widespread because it can grow at any altitude and is very resilient as long as it is cold. The Spicy Bitterweed is like the Snow Flax as it is also a prevalent plant, except it doesn't grow in cold environments but in dry, hot environments instead. Lastly, the Eelard is a plant native to the Americas and grows near the roots of a variety of trees." (Valde)

"Great job, that is correct. You may now sit." (Professor Oxford)

"Today will be a practical lesson. I have brought with me the plants we had learned about yesterday, and we will be learning how to harvest them and how to use them. Open your textbook to page 23." (Professor Oxford)

Mrs. Oxford grasped her wand and performed a quick incantation. The doors leading to the connecting room to the classroom swung open from behind her, and several floating pots with different plants growing in them floated to each table.

"You have just received one of each plant. Do not do anything with them yet. I will demonstrate twice how to properly harvest each plant. Observe carefully because you will be doing this next." (Professor Oxford)

"We will start with the Snow Flax. As we can all see, the Snow Flax looks like a darkish blue rose, except it doesn't have a stem, and its petals are rougher than the petals of a rose. To start, we must carefully remove the Snow Flax from the soil, making sure not to damage its roots in the process. To do this, use your shovel and gently poke into the soil surrounding the Snow Flax. Poking the soil will loosen it up, making it easier to extract the Snow Flax without damaging its roots." (Professor Oxford)

"After safely removing the Snow Flax from the soil, set it down and start peeling away its petals. The petals do not possess any medicinal benefits, so we don't need them. It's what hides beneath the petals that we want. After peeling away the petals, you should be left with a grayish orb and the Snow Flax's roots connected to the orb. The orb is the flower's core. The orb is where the flower stores its medicinal properties and magic." (Professor Oxford)

"Now that we have extracted the core ingredients of the Snow Flax, gently place the flower orb and the roots into a cup boiling water. After approximately five minutes, the orb and the roots should be fully dissolved, and what's left in the pot should be a bluish gel-like substance. As Lauryn had answered earlier, eating this gel will temporarily numb any pain you feel and reduce inflammation in our bodies. Remember, the Snow Flax is by no means a sacred plant. Although one can make it into medicine with pain-killing and anti-inflammatory properties, it does it only to a minimal extent. Now I will repeat the process with another Snow Flax plant.

After saying so, Professor Oxford repeated the same steps on another Snow Flax plant before instructing the class to try it themselves.

1