Chapter 242 – Above the Cloud 17
1.3k 5 68
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I am back.

But my health is not fully recovered yet, so maybe there will be a day when the upload will be late.

Still recovering.

After a few minutes, Eveline returned to the room, bringing a wheeled tray with a stack of food.

“Please excuse me.” She said, closing the door before pushing the tray to the end of the room, stopping beside Naomi’s desk.

After the tray stopped beside her, Naomi glanced at it and saw her favorite food, fried rice, and some other side dishes such as fried chicken and others. She then looked at Eveline and saw a small smile on her face.

Noticing Naomi’s confused look,  “I asked Major Tetsuma what your preference was, Lieutenant-General.”

With a skilled movement, Eveline put the fried rice and some side dishes in front of Naomi. After a while, she was done and stood motionlessly with her hands behind her hips.

Naomi was still confused by the girl in front of her. Not only did she help her to get out of the crowd, she also prepared her food and waited like a servant.

‘It’s like she purposely acts like a maid, to be exact.’

But Naomi didn’t really question it. Maybe it was normal in this base? Or was this unusual? Among all other questions that she had, Naomi knew one thing. The so-called position of attention.

‘She has a purpose by getting close to me.’

That was fine. People with a lot of greed were welcome, as they were the easiest target to turn into her subordinates.

“Is that so?” Naomi said with a slight smile. “Thank you. You may sit if you want to. You are also allowed to go somewhere else if you want to.”

“Please, I am fine. I will just sit here to wait for you to finish your meal, Lieutenant-General.”

“Hmm, then do what you think is comfortable for you. Just don’t stare at me when I have my meal.”

“Certainly.”

Evaline turned around, looking at the entrance after she answered Naomi.

The girl was really stiff; she even made Naomi frown slightly.

Naomi had a stiff subordinate, indeed. Chi was one of the examples, followed by Rekka. However, Eveline easily beat them in terms of stiffness.

The environment could possibly be the influence of her stiff behavior.

‘Well, I don’t really care. Even if she has some motive, if she’s fun, then I will allow her. I just hope she won’t be too troublesome in getting close to me.’

Naomi started eating her fried rice in delight after that. Unexpectedly, the taste was good. She was expecting something a bit bland from the meal on the military base.

‘I think I can get by with this meal in case I need to stay here.’

***

After finishing her meal, Naomi put the plates back onto the tray and called out.

“I am done, First Lieutenant. You may turn back.”

In her mind, she thought, ‘Now that I call her with her rank a few times, I just realized how troublesome it is.’

That couldn’t be changed though. Everyone in the military base somehow called each other by their rank instead of their names. With the exception of when there were a few people with the same ranks in the area, they would call them names. Of course, still followed by their rank.

“Affirmative, Lieutenant-General,” Eveline answered and turned around.

As soon as Eveline looked at Naomi, she noticed a slight difference in Naomi’s expression. She was putting on a serious face and frowned while looking at her.

“Umm, does something matters, Lieutenant-General?” Eveline asked carefully, trying her best not to upset Naomi, who was frowning.

Hearing Eveline’s words, Naomi snapped out of her thoughts.

“Oh, nothing.” She said, her lips curled into a smile. “Just lost in my thoughts. The meal was great.”

“I am happy if that’s the case. In that case, may I take the tray away perchance if you have finished your meal?”

Eveline walked to the try and was about to take it away, but Naomi suddenly said.

“Don’t be too hasty, First Lieutenant. Let’s have some chat first before you go away.”

Her words made Eveline turn to her and ask, “And what might it be, Lieutenant-General. Something that you want to talk about with me?”

Eveline’s face was full of smiles.

Naomi was already used to such a smile. In fact, it was something that she saw a few times in that school, or maybe it was better to call it a facility?

Anyway, Eveline’s smile made her sure of something.

“Let’s see…” She raised her index finger and put it in front of her mouth as it curled up into a grin. “For example, let’s talk about the military. As you may know, I am quite new in this military thing.”

“Oh!” Eveline exclaimed. “In that case, I am happy to help. Please do ask me about anything. While I am only a First Lieutenant, my position is that of a secretary of the General. So I know a lot of things about the military.”

“Wonderful!” Naomi clapped her hands and jumped off her chair. “Then, let’s sit on the couch. It will be more comfortable to talk while sitting, no?”

“But…” Eveline tried to refuse, but Naomi was already in front of her and grabbed her hand, pulling her to the couch and forcing her to sit.

To be honest, Eveline was surprised by Naomi’s strength. She never expected that she would be pulled so easily. Even if she was only a secretary, she also had her share of training as a soldier. So she wasn’t too weak.

However, ‘She’s too strong…’ Eveline thought as she looked at Naomi, who sat in front of her with a rather carefree smile.

Because it seemed like Naomi wouldn’t start the conversation first, Eveline decided to ask her. She coughed to clear her throat and said,

“Lieutenant-General. May I ask about what kind of things you want to know first? Is it the organization structure? The location of the other bases? About the Espers in the Military? Or maybe about the Marshal herself?” She tried her best to sound neutral and conversing.

Naomi nodded her head when she heard Eveline. Those were the questions that she wanted to ask, indeed. But, those were not the first questions that she wanted to ask. She wasn’t someone who pulled strings to plan for something grand, no.

Instead, Naomi's way of dealing with something was always the same. Straightforward.

So, Naomi said, “While those are interesting things to know, I want to know more about you first, First Lieutenant.” She smiled sweetly, but Eveline started to sweat when she looked at her smile.

‘What?’ Eveline thought. ‘She’s just asking about me, but… Why am I shaking?’ She raised her trembled hand and became confused.

Then, she looked at Naomi and noticed that her sweet smile was somehow scary. It was like the smile of a predator that cornered its prey. That predator mouth moved, asking her.

“So, what’s your plan? Why did you try to get close to me, oh First Lieutenant Eveline Emmerich, the secretary of the General?”


Author Here~

More than 20 Advanced chapters (For this series)  available on my Patreon!! You can find it Here

68