Chapter 1: Sapience
9 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Here we see a very normal sight of a slime rolling along the forest floor. However, there are many abnormal things about this particular slime. For one, it is green. Not the normal blue or even the rare colourless slime, but a green slime. This slime is also quite large. Appearing to be 1 meter in diameter. Not to mention that it is half a meter in height, easily being as big as a domestic dog. Yet, despite its relatively large size, it moves across the forest floor more soundlessly than a well trained human hunter. With a roughly shaped core at around 15 cm in length and 9 cm in width, the silent assassin moves towards its newest target.

A large blue slime enters its "vision". That is right! Greeny is a cannibal who has killed and consumed the cores of 8 other slimes. While the typical slime has no business attacking its own kin, Greeny has learned that it can increase the size of its own core by integrating the cores of the now-dead slimes.

Now, why does it want to increase the size of its fatal weakness? 

Instinct.

It sensed potential in increasing the size of its core. Now, looking at the monster of a slime in front of Greeny, all worries about the dangers of enlarging his core left his soft fleshy body. With a height of one and a half meters tall, a diameter of 3 meters, this beast of a slime inspired Greeny and filled her with an indescribable sense of hunger. Lust for the seemingly apparent strength in having a larger core.

Moving out into the clearing that the target was occupying, Greeny slowly and carefully made his way to the larger slime, only stopping approximately 1 meter away from the slime. The target made no indication that it had sensed Greeny's presence. This was natural after all, most slimes use the vibrations in the earth to "sense" or "see". Greeny, however, has an additional sense. It allows her to "see" the general shapes of any obstacles. This new "sight" had only manifested after his 5th kill and has since made hunting much easier.

Now in position, he used his hunting technique. One that has worked 8 out of the 8 times that it has been used. This time, the target was far larger than Greeny. It was time to put this technique to the test. Stretching out and over the target, Greeny slowly but surely made a dome above the target. A dome made of her own limited flesh. Step 1 done, now to step 2.

Step 2...

Step 2 was to collapse the dome as quickly as possible and constrict the target in a fleshy wrap.

And... Step 3! Self-mutilation!

That's right!

Greeny willed his own membrane on the inner side of the dome to split to allow his acidic innards to leak out.

Now, the final step. Pushing his own core into the body of the target. 

Using his obviously far superior control over slime flesh, Greeny broke the target's membrane with a push with his jagged core. Quickly taking control of the target's flesh, he pushed his core all the way to the target's core. The target's core was slightly smaller than his own. When the two cores touched they melded together. In an instant, all the formerly blue slime flesh turned green. Greeny had won once again. It was now time to wait for her core to take its new shape. Something that Greeny always enjoyed watching using her weird "sense".

'This time it took the shape of a sphere-'

A sudden wave of pain took her consciousness.

 

...

 

The newly spherical core awoke for the first time in its life. It had never slept after all. Greeny checked her condition and noticed that her "sight" was now far clearer. No longer wavy shapes. Her "vision" seemed more "solid" or "real" now. With her newly upgraded "sight", she examined herself. While doing so, she found yet another difference. She could change the colour of her flesh. She shifted from her normal shade of green to yellow then to pink, to red. 

' Interesting'

She also found that she could sense the vibrations in the ground better. 

' In that direction, trees. In that direction more bushes than trees. In that direction-'

Greeny sensed something different. Something that moves yet has only two legs. It moves slowly, yet sends out tones of vibrations.

What is this new creature?

0