05 New horizons
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A handsome man of about 30 years old, light brown hair and honey eyes, was sitting in a wooden chair that had details carved with floral patterns, next to a crackling fireplace, it was before dawn and there was no more illumination than the one provided by the fireplace but it was enough, the man was rubbing his hands with a towel that was once white, but it already had a pink or red coloration in some places, when he decided that the cleaning was finished he threw the towel to the chimney, he moved his hands to the side where he was waiting for a bottle with a liquor that seemed expensive, he began to drink some drinks and he put it again on the table that accompanied him, the man only wore cream colored pants, very consistent with the desert, his naked torso did not show a very muscular figure wheat color, he continued relaxing with the sight of the flames dancing in front of him for several minutes, until he got up and began to put on his usual clothes, a white cassock with silver buttons in front, sleeves with silver embroidery and some other minor details, He fixed his short hair and once finished he approached another table where a bowl with dried fruits made a good combination with some drinks, he took some of the less sweet ones and enjoyed them slowly until the door sounded with the knock of a visitor.

 

-Mr. Bishop, may I enter? -said the voice

-Come in -answered the bishop lazily.

A beautiful maid with a suit that highlighted her curves, but covered most of her body with light fabrics entered, carrying a tray and in it the breakfast for his guest, she left it on a table in the room, prepared some of the things to leave the table served and the bishop began to enjoy the delights to his liking. Finished his work he bowed and left the room with the empty tray in his hands.

 

Once he had finished his breakfast, he got up, prepared his things and left the room, went to the upper floor and entered the administrative office of the hotel.

 

The manager, a woman as beautiful as the maids who serve in this place or even the best brothels, with a simple attire in red and black colors, only accentuating her gifts to a certain extent, without reaching the vulgar, is behind her desk with a long pipe in her hand reviewing some documents, she looks up to find the figure of the bishop, smiles at him and puts aside her papers and fixed his long black hair a little before  to talk to him.

 

-My dear bishop, I hope you had a good rest and that the breakfast was to your liking, it is important that you feel comfortable in our hotel.

-Yes, as always it is a pleasure to enjoy your facilities, Madame Riccia -he says, taking a seat in front of the manager.

-Also, regarding your room, the staff will take care of the cleaning as usual, I would like to ask you now about our previous agreement.

-Go ahead -said the bishop nodding and with a calm expression.

-In 6 days a caravan of ours will travel to the port of the oasis, and we would like the blessing of your church for our journey.

-What a coincidence, in 6 days a group of our knights will travel to the port to say goodbye to a deacon who will leave on pilgrimage, would it be a good idea to accompany them, no?

-Of course, if by any chance they meet on the way it would be very welcome.

-They will leave once the sun rises completely over the horizon, is that all? -The bishop tidied his sleeves a little and got up from his seat.

-I wouldn't dare to bother the bishop any longer -Riccia smiled at him and nodded in farewell.

Meanwhile the bishop went to the outskirts of the hotel where a single-seater wooden carriage was waiting for him, with a curved structure in its walls, and with fabrics covering the privacy of the passenger, a camel guided by a servant was in charge of moving the carriage, and two more knights behind as an escort went to the chapel of the church of the father god.

 

A few minutes of travel passed and soon they approached the vicinity of the church, they entered through the path corresponding to the clergy staff and as they descended he asked one of his knight to inform the priests and deacons that a briefing would be held before noon, he calmly made his way to his office greeting the staff that crossed his path, once there a natural smile formed on his face, he leaned back in his chair and took a deep breath to enjoy his moment, then, he began to look for a blank paper and started to describe his next orders in some letters that will later be sent through the channels of the church, when he finished what was necessary he moved to the room where the meeting would take place, he took the seat at the head and in the following moments the clergy members began to enter.

 

-Well gentlemen, I would like to announce that during the previous days the conversations have reached a very favorable result for our church, one of the merchants of the southern cone of the kingdom, has decided to finance the daily costs plus the stay of a member of our church for a year.

Some members of the table nodded or presented their opinions with pleasure at the news.

-Therefore -continued the bishop -in 6 days Deacon Carkim will be escorted to a ship that will take him to his destination, this is an opportunity as well as a challenge, to preach the word of our church so that it reaches more people, and will test our deacon perfecting his skills, after the period of one year he will return directly to the holy see where he can continue his studies, I have already signed the letters of recommendation and they will be sent both to the capital and one for you -he said handing him an envelope with the above mentioned.

Once this was done, they began to applaud the deacon for being chosen for this evangelizing mission, as well as for this opportunity to follow the path to the priesthood.

-Besides this result, the other matters discussed in this opportunity have not yet advanced enough to be mentioned, do any of you have anything else to add?

The audience was silent for a few seconds, then priest Kenbrand raised his voice.

-well your eminence, maybe it is just because I am overthinking it, but in the last 4 months some young people have disappeared from our orphanages, as well as from others, there is some concern from the citizens, some believe that their children could also be in danger.

The soft smile remained on Bishop Jorad's face, only his eyes narrowed a little more as he listened to this information, he was not sure how much information Priest Kenbrand was handling and would not make it obvious to him.

-certainly it is a matter of concern, we should form a plan, perhaps with some of our knights to find the cause of these incidents.
-Thank you your eminence -said Priest Kenbrand and at the same time nodded his head.

-Then tomorrow I will go out to have a conversation with the governor to work together.

 

The other participants in the meeting again nodded in agreement and support of the bishop's resolution, a couple of less relevant conversations and consultations ensued after which the meeting was adjourned and the members returned to their duties.

 

The general atmosphere within the church seemed cheerful after the meeting, and the time passed normally with everyone going about their duties.

 

The next day, once the bishop left again, a group of the clergy gathered in the same room as usual, this time the priest Louis and Kenbrand, along with 3 deacons.

 

-Kenbrand, first of all, I want to say that I find it extraordinary that a young man like the deacon Carkim is presented with the opportunity to make official his path to the priesthood, you above all others should be happy in front of that situation, taking into account that he is also a young man born in the Oasis - said the priest Louis, and at the same time the deacons that accompanied them nodded their heads.

-I don't deny that I think this is very good news, but I am a little worried about this same fact.

-I sometimes think that you are too stubborn to assume that the good leadership of the bishop is the right way to go. -said the priest Louis again.

 

-You may be right, but you still come and sit at this table -said Kenbrand looking at Priest Louis and he just smiled in response.

-To tell you the truth, I am also getting more and more lost, this act of good will, maybe it is sincere, or maybe it is a move to make everyone feel that things are going well in the oasis.

-If you allow me, during these days we have not been able to confirm anything that links the bishop with any suspicious fact, but it coincides that after a couple of days after the bishop returns, the brothel called the flower of the desert gets rid of certain merchandise -finished speaking the deacon Sasyl.

-What kind of merchandise? -intervened another deacon.

-I can't say for sure, but some have mentioned that when the caravans from this brothel go to the port, they abandon unwanted cargo on the way -answered Sasyl.

-We are still circling around assumptions or what some unknown person said, so far we only know that the Bishop enters that hotel and after a few days he leaves and visits other people or heads back to the church, I don't understand what is wrong with it all -commented Priest Louis holding the bridge of his nose.

-I admit that we are working on the basis of smoke, but I have a feeling and-

 

-A feeling? Do you know how serious this situation is, if the bishop feels threatened and we are so stupid as to corner him without proof, the elders won't even take the trouble to write down our names on some document before excommunicating us in the best case scenario -Priest Louis pounded the table and began to reprimand Priest Kenbrand, even standing up at the end of his talk.

Priest Kenbrand also rose from his seat and gestured for his colleague to take his seat again.

 

-I perfectly understand the risk, that's why I also want to reduce our actions, we will be more passive than what we have been doing the last time, we will continue listening to what our informants have to say, and I will also ask some known merchant to tell me when he needs to go to the port, we will make an arrangement for the church knights to join his escort.

-mmm and that? - Louis said and took a seat.

-Well we will say that taking the bishop's example we also want to move forward and consolidate the good will of our neighbors, which will give us the opportunity for our knights to inspect the route calmly.

-All right, I'll cooperate with you, but I'm afraid it will be the last time, if there's nothing we can get out of this, it's over -when he finished his sentence he didn't wait any longer and got up, this time to leave the room, leaving everything in silence for a few moments.

-Well young people, let's continue to be discreet, you may return to your duties -said Kenbrand and also left.

Deacon Carkim, a young man under 20, grew up in an orphanage in the oasis, he has always stood out for his warm smile and cheerful personality, for many a boy in a man's body, who has not been attacked by the ugly side of life, the truly ugly one. Measuring about 170 cm and brown skin, plus his slim figure, make him similar to most of the inhabitants of the desert, he could not fit in his own happiness after being entrusted to his task of pilgrimage, as well as the recommendation for his priesthood, and during the following days he ran from one side to another preparing whatever was necessary for his trip, missing two days for his departure he was summoned to the room of the priest Kenbrand, he entered after having knocked under the permission of the priest.

-I see you cheerful young Carkim, that fills my heart.

-As you say priest, this opportunity is a blessing like no other, I will follow in your footsteps and become a new priest born of the oasis -he finished with a sparkle in his eyes, while the priest in front of him asked him to take a seat in front of his small table and served some juice.

-I asked you to come to ask you a personal favor.

-Please tell me priest - Carkim bowed to look more attentive.

-it's something simple, as sons of this Oasis I can't help but worry, and I just want you to write me a letter when you are settled, you can send it by normal means, not by the church, so that you don't look regretful or too attached to your home in front of others.

-I understand sir, although it may take me some time.

-Of course, as long as you need, it's just me wanting to feel relieved to receive your good news, think also, when I receive your letter I can go with sister Nira to share the news.

Hearing the mention of sister Nira his eyes opened wider with amazement and his smile became even more accentuated, with enthusiasm Deacon Carkim said.

-Of course! I will be happy to send my good news to you, if so, although it may take a little longer for the letter to arrive by normal means, I am sure you will all be very happy, and my younger brothers may join us in our footsteps in the future.

Priest Kenbrand stood up and from one of his drawers took out a package the size of a head.

-These are dehydrated cactus fruits, I know you like them for their sweet taste, I hope they will help you remember the oasis.

-Priest really should not do this -he said receiving the package that was deposited in his hands, almost with tears in his eyes. Dried cactus fruits were not a luxury good, they were hardly seen in these quantities, most of the lower income citizens used to give them to their children, and for the children of the orphanage, they only received a small handful on the eve of the church festivities.

0