Life in The Forest – Epilogue
1.2k 8 56
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was nothing short of a miracle.

This was what everyone firmly believed when they saw the creature bringing out the balls of flesh.

When they opened the flesh sacks, most of the children appeared emaciated, but mostly intact. A few injuries here and there, but nothing too serious as determined by Jortus and the elder, Uruwan.

Rakai was nervous. The creature appeared much smaller than when it began expelling the masses of flesh, but he has yet to see Misesha among the rescued.

Another resounding roar echoed out from the creaure, but this one was more intense and pained than the previous ones. It was soon made clear when the creature expelled two flesh masses. Other than there being two, these flesh masses appeared smaller and were actually breaking down.

Revealing their contents, Rakai was horrified when he found Misesha in a terrible state.

Looking incredibly weak, the left side of her body appeared as if it was melted off. Bone and muscle were exposed where her limbs should be, and half her face up to her ear and the back of her head had flesh missing, exposing bone.

Rakai shivered and teared up when he brought the Kaijin girl into his arms. Hearing her weak breaths, he held onto her tightly afraid of letting go with the chance that he might lose her.

On the other side, held in the creature’s hand was the almost completely ravaged body of another wolf pup. It was hard to determine the original color of its fur as the poor creature was barely anything but exposed muscle.

As a final act of cruelty, the black monstrosity tried to consume the wolf pup to get back at the beast.

The other wolf pup whined as it saw the state of its sibling when it tried to get up the creature’s hand. Looking at the creature with pleading eyes, the creature stirred and retched once more.

With a violent rumble that reverberated across its body, everyone saw multitudes of tendrils of varying sizes erupting from the side of its body that was formed with mostly large flesh spikes and braided sinew.

The tendrils hovered over the weak and twitching wolf pup. Unseen to the naked eye of the other beings, the ends split into multiple fine hair-like ends that grafted themselves on a near-microscopic level onto the pup’s flesh.

In a matter of seconds, new muscle, bones, and skin started visibly forming over the little pup’s body to everyone’s shock.

It didn’t end there as a second set of tendrils went over to the young Kaijin girl.

Seeing what the creature was planning and not hesitating in the slightest, Rakai raised Misesha onto the tendrils as they began their work. In the same manner as the wolf pup; limbs, flesh, and skin started being constructed over her body.

The spectacle continued over a few hours, but as if in a trance, no one moved a muscle as they continued to watch the creature’s handiwork.

As its work was coming to an end, the wolf pup and the young Kaijin girl finally appeared mostly healed. Hair and fur still hadn’t grown in the regions that were grafted, but outside of looking like they had terrible burn scars with small bumps on their skin, the two looked fine as if they were sleeping.

Seeing Misesha’s breathing stabilized and her amulet fully stopped burning, Rakai received her from the creature and cradled her in his arms.

The action must have stimulated the girl as it caused her to move faintly and mumble in her unconsciousness.

“…dad?”

Hearing her speak, a dam broke as Rakai’s eyes were flooded in joyous tears. He gently hugged Misesha as he cradled her while whispering, “Daddy’s here, my little lily. You’re safe now.”

Hearing her father’s voice, the little girl comfortably rested in her father’s arms with a warm smile on her face.

Seeing that she was saved, a loud cheer resonated between everyone present.

Although many were lost, most of those that have been captured were saved. Not only that, the Fallen which had caused so much misery while being a potential calamity was finally slain.

Laughter and hearty yells sounded about, but as their jubilation continued, some started to notice that they were forgetting something.

They looked around but were surprised to know the creature was no longer there. It had vanished.

As many had started to realize, they looked around for the creature hoping to show their gratitude and also hoping to learn more about it, but it was nowhere to be found. Even the wolf pups were gone and there weren’t any tracks in any direction.

The only clue left was the puddle of slime that used to be the beast’s hand that was left behind.

Jortus examined the slime with his magic and showed a surprised expression.

Seeing the look on his face, Uruwan stepped closer to look at the slime.

“What’s the matter, old dog? Found any clues as to how it disappeared?”

Jortus shook his head as he responded, “Sadly, no. It’s strange, but it somehow left no mana trails nor decipherable tracks. But I did get a strange result from my identifying magic. According to what I’m reading from it, the beast… was a slime.”

“Um… what?” With a deadpan expression, Uruwan looked at Jortus as if he was sick.

“Don’t look at me like that, I’m as confused as you are! The magic readings are telling me that it’s a simple slime, but we all know that’s not true. Whatever that beast was, it must have a way to cloak its identity and its trail.”

Loen went closer to the slime puddle as he suddenly remembered something. “Weren’t we following the tracks of a strange slime a few days ago?”

Hearing Loen, a hooded masked woman with blue eyes and twin daggers at her side turned to him with skepticism in her voice. “You can’t seriously be suggesting that that beast was the slime?”

“Just a thought. We’ve already concluded there was Outrealm interference, after all. Who’s to say if the magic was simply wrong or that creature has ways to deal with magic.”

“Hmm.” Giving it his thoughts, Jortus simply shook his head. “It doesn’t really matter at the moment. Either way, we can conclude that the beast isn’t hostile towards us for the time being. If it really was the creature we were tracking, then all the better. That would mean less things to worry about in the near future.”

“…I would say you’re being too optimistic and unrealistic, but with the horned ones like this… I guess it can’t be helped.” Sighed the woman as she crossed her arms.

“Come on, Master Imri. I know where you’re getting at, but that thing was amazing! The way it powered through with a one-handed choke and a slam! And six arms? How in the hells did it do that!” exclaimed the hooded young man excitedly.

“…and you seem to need some more training, Geral. When we return to the guild, come with me to hall two. Since this ended sooner and cleaner than expected, we’ll have all the afternoon to ourselves.” A chill laced her voice as she spoke to Geral.

The hooded blonde flinched as he heard that. He drooped forward in depression and stayed quiet while frowning.

“Ha ha, take it easy, Imri. Let the boy have his fun.” Smiled Jortus as he turned towards the old Kaijin. “How’s he looking, Uru?”

Turning towards the Kaijin who had been able to retrieve their children then finally seeing Rakai’s peaceful expression while carrying Misesha, Uruwan sighed with a gentle expression. “He’ll be better, old boy.”

The old Kaijin’s expression then turned to mock exasperation, “My only problem now is that I’ll probably need a new Seeker. The only one who can probably fulfill that is his brother, but he’s also the one I was hoping to appoint as chief. These young’uns really aren’t letting me rest for my age.”

Chuckling at his friend’s plight, Jortus turned to look at the slime puddle one last time then turned to look east towards the deeper parts of the forest and the swamp.

Noticing a little white fluffball that seemed to be peeking at them, it suddenly disappeared into the woodlands.

Jortus smiled. Perhaps it won’t be long until he learns more about their strange new friend.

***

In an unknown place that could only be described as “empty” of all things; light and darkness and even spacetime, strange whispers resounded as if from all directions at once.

A being stirred, its form unseeable, but its thoughts and vestiges coalesced to form an existence.

It felt it. One if its fragments had been consumed and absorbed.

If it was merely destroyed then its remnant traces would have simply returned to it to repeat the same cycle. Nothing would have been lost.

But not this time.

Something was capable of taking a part of its existence, subdue it, and making it its own.

Proof of that is the whispers that announced the birth of a new existence that had the potential to ascend and become part of the beyond.

This cannot be accepted. For a mere lower lifeform to not only steal from it but to subdue even a tiny fraction of its existence; it simply cannot be allowed.

Its decision would put it at odds with the Scarlet King of Corrosion, but it didn’t matter. To beings such as themselves, taking a plane from under each other’s noses was simply but a game.

To this rising new being that the whispers have brought, it would soon take back what rightfully belongs to it.

It will stop at nothing to consume this new existence that the beyond has named…

The Silent Lord of Transformation.

***

And with this the first arc has been finished. I'll be taking a break for a few days, then work on my other novel for a few chapters before I begin the next arc.

As a side note, I actually wanted to use "Silent Lord of Change" but some of you would probably know why that wouldn't work.

56