Ch 2 – Why is this girl following me!?
202 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"J*ice WRLD huh. Damn his songs slap."

While listening to "Feeling," I trudged along the concrete paths, and the dazzling sun bathed me in warmth as I made my way back to my apartment. The sun was setting, and there wasn't anyone around me, since school had ended, and my apartment was in a secluded place.

However, my instinct exploded in full throttle, as I felt something reach my neck behind me. I twisted my body, grabbed the hand as I swiped my foot under the person's leg, while pulling them towards me as they fell to the ground. I immediately wrapped my right arm around their neck, before proceeding to grasp the hidden knife in the side of my belt with a reverse grip, as I stuck the blade right in front of their throat.

"What is your affiliation? Who are you? Whose orders did you take from? Why did you follow me? You have 5 seconds to answer all my questions before I slit your throat."

"Five."

"Four."

"Thre-"

My blood drained from my face as I realised that the person that I was threatening was a highschool girl. And it was the neighbour that I had for the past few weeks, who sat next to me. 

(Ohhhhh shit.)

"W-w-w-wait this is a joke right!?"

She exclaimed as sweat fell down her smooth forehead. 

(How am I going to explain this? Wait. That's it! I don't need to explain it!)

(I've got no choice.)

I chopped her in the base of the neck, where a specific pressure point was hit, as she fainted. 

I pulled her body upwards, as I carried her towards the school's infirmary. She was extremely light, and her sweet rose-like aroma filled my nose. I flinched, as I wasn't really used to being close to the opposite sex. Sure, there were bitches in the underground with their perfume and vile intentions, but the girl I was carrying right now had a natural type of scent, something that I had never smelt before. Realising that I was being a creep right now, I immediately stopped thinking about it as I quickly dashed towards the infirmary. 

I slid the door open and laid her on the white bed. The nurse's eyes widened.

"What happened?"

"She's fine, she's just knocked out. She should wake up soon."

"Really?"

"Yes, really. By the way, can you not tell her that a boy brought her here? I found her sleeping in the library so I thought something was wrong. She must've been really tired, since she wouldn't wake no matter how much I shook her."

"...Sure, I got it."

I gave another wry smile. 

"Thanks."

"Oh yeah, what's your name?"

I jolted in panic. I didn't really want others to know my name. And my gut was telling me that this nurse in her mid-20s was 99% going to accidently blurt it to the girl. She just looked loose-lipped. I sighed.

"...Taiki Okamura. My name is Taiki Okamura."

I decided to use my friend's name. I apologised to him in my heart as I waved goodbye to the nurse and made my way back home, once again.

I thought that my days would go back to normal, since she probably thought it was a dream. After all, what type of highschool boy immediately puts a knife to a girl's throat while threatening them? That's just something out of fiction. And I made up the story of her sleeping in the library, to further emphasize that she was just dreaming. And for my face..... It's already ordinary and generic so she probably wouldn't remember it. I also used my friend's name, so that it couldn't be traced back to me. So I should of been good. My life should of been undisturbed.

Yet, the next day, she proved me wrong. Very wrong.

.....

.....

.....

The next day came, and like usual, I was listening to music, while I waited for homeroom class to start. There were some people in the classroom, since it wasn't too early nor too late. Suddenly, the door slid open, and the black-haired girl walked towards me. The gazes of the boys followed the beautiful young girl, as she continued to slowly walk towards me.

(...Please don't tell me that she's coming here.)

Luckily, she took her seat beside me, just like any other normal day. However, today wasn't a normal day. She intensely stared at me from the side. 

(...Why?)

Her staring was getting more painful than the minute, so I finally took off my headphones and turned to face her.

"...Is there something on my face?"

"..."

She continued to stare at me.

She opened her mouth.

"...No, it's nothing."

She averted her eyes, looking back to the front of the classroom.

(..........She's totally suspicious of me.)

Everytime I wasn't looking in her direction, she would stare at me. And everytime I looked back at her, she would immediately turn her head away from me. 

(Does she really think I don't know that she's staring at me?)

I sighed as I decided to ignore it. I thought it would just stop in the first session. I was also very wrong with that thought.

She would follow me everywhere, from the library, to the courtyard during lunch time, to the cafeteria and even the boy's restroom. Her glossy black hair would just stick out behind the bookshelves and trees. As the school bell rang for the end of school, I made my way to the lockers, before finally losing it, as I saw the fluttery black hair appear behind one of the lockers.

"...Okay what is your problem!?"

She immediately tried to shift herself behind the lockers even further, but I wasn't having it.

"Excuse me, do you think I'm dumb? Just come out already."

Reluctantly, she walked out in front of me, with her head down.

"Well first, what's your name?"

"...Reina Ogawa."

"Okay, then can I ask you why you were following me for the entirety of the day?"

"...I wasn't doing anything."

"What do you mean!? That's the most bullshit thing I've ever heard in such a long time!!! Don't try and act dumb cause you 1000% were following me!"

Tsk.

(Did I just hear her click her tongue?)

"I really wasn't followin-"

"Just stop. Please. I'm dying over here."

"...Okay fine, I'll admit it. Yes, I was following you."

"So? Why?"

"...You're not Taiki Okamura are you?"

"No I'm not."

"Right exactly, then why did you give the nurse your friend's name then, Itsuki Yoshikawa-kun?"

I held my head in pain.

"...I don't know that name either."

"Don't lie to me, I watched your introduction when you first transferred here."

"Why do you even remember that? It's already been a month!!! And as sad as it sounds, I'm pretty sure that I don't have any well-defining features!"

Exasperated, I could only be confused as I tilted my head. 

"Yeah, you're right."

"Ouch."

"Well the thing is, I'm pretty sure that I had a knife held against my throat when I tried to tap on your shoulder."

"...You're dreaming."

"No, I'm not."

"Well the last time I checked, you were sleeping in the library, and plus, that just sounds ridiculous."

"Well the last time that I checked, I was a pretty light sleeper, so there's no way you could have brought me to the infirmary without waking me up, as well as having no reason to lie to the nurse about your name."

She was right on point. Why did she have to be so unusually sharp about such things? I could only hold my head in frustration. 

"...No, but that sounds weird right? Even if according to your memories that I held a knife next to your throat, isn't that just something unrealistic?"

"...Maybe so, but I would still rather trust my memories than some fabricated lie that I was sleeping in the library."

"Then why are you following a person that potentially held a knife at your throat all day long?"

"...Because I'm intrigued."

"What?"

"I'm intrigued. You don't need to know anything else."

"That ain't a god damn reason, you crazy woman..."

"Well its also isn't a "god damn" reason to hold a blade in front of someone's throat too, you crazy man."

(...She's right.)

I sighed. This wasn't going anywhere.

"Alright so what do you even want with me?"

"...Nothing. I'm just wondering, can I be your friend?"

"...Huh!? What type of person follows another all day long just to ask that question?"

"Well, if you don't accept, I'll just tell everyone that you held a blade against my throat when I didn't comply with your 'demands.'"

"Who would even believe you?"

"Well, let me ask you a question. Would you rather believe the beautiful, prim and mature girl with top academic marks, or the boy that has the most average looking face with mediocre skills?"

".....That isn't fair."

"It doesn't matter that it isn't fair, just accept it already."

I sighed once again as I felt the migraine start to hammer my head. I guess I was right that most people that acted good were indeed the bad ones.

"...Fine. I concede."

"Yes!!!"

And as I tilted my head back to her face, she gave me a bright alluring smile that came out of a painting. My heart slightly squeezed, as I stared at her. The day ended, and somehow, I made a new friend, even if it was by force.

 

9