Mariette and Tuskan II
37 1 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 “This should be a good answer for your question, honorable Young Lord of Grand Duchy Stormhill,” Mariette said. Aster took the letter carefully and opened it, his eyes widened instantly.

            Letter of Award

            This letter is awarded to Miss Mariette Hessel Signe and Sir Tuskan Hessel Signe. Both had contributed greatly to the development of Golden Camellia Empire. Hereby, Crown Prince of Golden Camellia Empire, Charles Audric Camellia, nominated Miss Mariette and Sir Tuskan exclusive positions in Clearwater Academy. This letter is valid and cannot be refuted.

            Aster saw the Charles signature with shiny golden ink. Aster’s hand was shaking, he almost ripped this letter to pieces. His sharp eyes darted toward Mariette and Tuskan. Tuskan scoffed, “What? You are going to say that letter is invalid and we have no place here, right? As expected from a noble Camellian, they are good at bluffing!”

            “Tuskan!” Mariette smacked the glass table with her hand and Tuskan zipped his mouth and lowered his head. Mariette resumed her kind demeanor, “Pardon me for my brother’s impolite behavior, he can be a bit wild in his words. But he is a good man.”

            Aster doubted the last sentence, but he nodded. This girl, Mariette, should be only a year older than him. But she exuded the aura of a proper noblewoman. Aster was a little intimidated. He glanced at that man called Tuskan and laughed silently.

            ‘Turns out, he is a scaredy cat to his sister.’

            “It is fine. I’m here to talk about more important matter, rather than listening to random babble anyway,” Aster answered sarcastically, which made Tuskan glared at him.

            “Well, as you can see, we are personally recommended by Crown Prince Charles. If Sir Aster still doubts our position in Clearwater Academy, we could ask Crown Prince. I heard he is still in Dionde City,” Mariette said.

            “T—That is unnecessary,” Aster replied hastily. He didn’t want to see that jerk cousin anymore. He didn’t doubt the validity of this letter, but he was unsure about this people’s intention here and their relationship with Charles.

            “First, you should know that this academy has great reputation all over the country, I do not want anyone to defile that,” Aster opened his speech. Mariette nodded, still with her smile. Tuskan snorted.

            “Second, I shall enforce the strict grading system in Clearwater Academy, if anyone’s grade fell under the standard, he or she shall be expelled,” Aster said firmly. He specifically directed his attention toward Tuskan and said, “Third, students should maintain proper conduct and ethics, I do not want to hear any bullying or someone using their political background carelessly.”

            “Did you say that my conduct is improper? I am the Crown Prince of Great Kingdom of Arctyr, a small duchy like you should just bow down to me!” Tuskan was fired up, he raised his chin arrogantly.

            “You!” Aster stood up from the seat, they were giving death stare to each other, “My duchy—” Aster was going to say that Clearwater Academy was owned by his grand duchy, but that would give this trash man a big thing to mock. Since it would imply that there was a power imbalance in Golden Camellia.

            Any public property in Golden Camellia shouldn’t be owned only by one party. That was why his parents allowed few small investments to enter Clearwater Academy to conceal the real truth from outsiders.

            Aster calmed himself and said nonchalantly, “It is improper to state your political background in Clearwater Academy. You shall be punished.”

            “What?! How dare you punishing a crown prince!” Tuskan pointed his finger to Aster, “Guards! Send him away!”

            The guards stared at each other and bowed slightly, “Pardon our incompetence, sir, but Crown Prince Charles forbids us to touch Young Lord Aster.”

            Aster chuckled, “It seems honorable Sir Tuskan forgot that this is Golden Camellia, not Arctyr.”

            Mariette closed her mouth and laughed lightly. Tuskan saw his sister also laughed and his cheek was flushed.

            “I—I don’t care! I refuse any punishment!”

            “Well, you did break the third law he just stated, Tuskan. Own your mistake,” Mariette warned him. Aster smiled and said, “Well, since you are new, I wouldn’t give harsh punishment. Please follow me and I will supervise you swiping the front garden of Swan House.”

            “You are crazy! How could I—”

            “Tuskan.” Mariette warned him again. Tuskan gritted his teeth, “Fine! I will do it!”

***

            Aster and Mariette were sitting in a pavilion, drinking tea, chatted and giggled while Tuskan swept the autumn leaves and grumbled continuously.

            “It’s been a while since I have this much fun,” Mariette said.

            “Hm? Why?” Aster asked curiously. But he hurriedly took his question back, knowing that they didn’t know each other well, “Ah, pardon me, I may have outstepped my boundary.”

            Mariette smiled gently, “It is fine,” Mariette gazed at her grumbling brother and continued, “It’s been a while since I saw Tuskan so expressive. He was always cold and serious, it worries me. That is why I’m happy.”

            “Huh?” Aster frowned.

            ‘That man? Serious? Is she hallucinating?’

            Mariette seemed to understand Aster’s thought and laughed, “Well, Great Kingdom Arctyr has a crippled king for years, until Tuskan slowly took control of the kingdom. It overworked him, but he was dedicated to the kingdom.”

            Aster knew a rumor saying that Great Kingdom Arctyr’s king was mentally disabled, but he didn’t know that it was true. However, it was improper to ask for more detail. Thus, he just nodded silently.

            Mariette smiled to Aster and said, “You really have her appearance.”

            “Appearance? Whose appearance?”

            Mariette shook her head, “It’s nothing.”

            Aster frowned. This woman was dangerously too friendly to him. He silently observed Mariette’s gesture, to see whether she had hidden weapon, poison, or anything dangerous to harm him. But he saw nothing.

            ‘Is this her way to shift my attention away from their true intention for staying here?’

            ‘But… I don’t even have the right to ask for their real intention. They can just reply with the advance study reason and stopped me from digging further.’

            Aster was deep in his thought and Mariette tapped his palm gently.

            “Uh… I beg your forgiveness for Tuskan,” Mariette said worriedly. There was clear concern in her face, “It is his way to um… catch someone’s attention.”

            “By insulting?”

            “No, by overreacting,” Mariette sighed, “He never has friend except me, his social skill is permanently zero.”

            “I can see that,” Aster snorted and side-eyed Tuskan, which was immediately replied back with a glare from Tuskan.

            “Well, we are going to meet in many occasions later, we should be good acquaintances,” Mariette said. She stretched his hand, waiting for Aster’s handshake.

            Aster was unsure whether he would want to meet these twins again later. He already had many problems, and he didn’t want to add more problem with their existence.

            ‘Their presence here is controversial. Does she want to ruin my duchy reputation by sticking close to me?’

            ‘No, I don’t think she needs to do that. Their status is still higher than mine officially.’

            ‘What is their true intention?’

            Aster’s mind was flooded with suspicions. But knowing that he couldn’t prove anything, he nodded hesitantly and accepted Mariette’s handshake, “I hope we can be good acquaintances.”

            Mariette smiled and called her brother, “Tuskan! Come here!”

            Tuskan threw the broom and drew near the pavilion, “What?” he asked harshly.

            “Me and Sir Aster had just becoming acquaintances, you should too,” Mariette suggested.

            Tuskan scoffed, “Becoming an acquintance with him? Do you think I’m that low—”

            “Tuskan!” Mariette fiercely glared at her brother, “Be proper! You practiced countless times already!”

            “Huh? Practice?”

            “O—Oh, no, I’m just telling him to be a proper noble,” Mariette said hastily.

            Tuskan grumbled, but when he heard that his sister slipped her words a bit. He flushed immediately, it looked like a kid whose secret was revealed. He raised his hand, but it was obviously shaken, “I—I—I hope we can be um… good fri—acquaintances…”

            Aster was silently observing his behavior and accepted his handshake hesitantly.

            ‘This pair of twins… what are they?’

1