Vol. 1, Chapter 2 – The Dragon
67 1 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rocks...

Nothing but Rocks can be seen in the dungeon, huge stalagmites that stretched from the ground to the roof are all over the place, and thousands of stalactites hanging everywhere, it felt like huge fangs that might fall over their heads if they weren't careful. Harry and the party are not convinced that this is a cave type dungeon, since the walls are almost a hundred meters away from each other, and the ceiling can never be reached even with all their heights combined. Still, after all the conversations they had, they decided to believe that this is indeed one.

"May I know where we are? Adelram?"

The party let Adelram lead the way as he is the only one holding the torch. Harry looked at Adelram cautiously and kept watch of his party members as the walls of the cave slowly narrowed down with every step they carefully took.

"Ah... This place."

The party got a little surprised not because of Adelram speaking, but because of what he said. He smiled as he looked behind to see shocked faces of the party.

"I've been here once," He looked back at the direction where they're headed, and came across three huge mossy wooden doors. Lynya touched the first door and sensed a faint magical energy within. "Adelram, do you mean, the first party you're in failed to clear this dungeon?"

The creaking sound echoed through the cave when Adelram opened the third door. "Yes, we failed, but no one died. Luckily, the dragon was benevolent enough to let us go as long as it had pleasure while fighting us."

"I guess that party sucked, good thing you joined a better one!" Kaine chuckled as he jest, he looked behind them to make sure if no one was following them. He also waited for everyone to enter the door first before coming in to check one last time.

Vanessa was second to the last in the party as they traveled. She looked at the faces of her party members and they seemed strange. They kept on looking at each other as if they had something to hide from her. What she did instead was to catch up to Adelram who is leading the way to the Dragon and ignored them for now. Noticing how Adelram didn't mind, she stepped a little closer to him.

"What are you doing?" Adelram asked while focusing on the map and on the road. Of course, even though he knew where to go, he needs to act as if he doesn't, so he won't be the source of suspicion and a reason for their loss. As they might think that he set them up, knowing that he already got in here once.

"Sir Adelram, it's nothing... Just, I think they're up to something unpleasant, and you seem to be more trustworthy than the whole party since you are also new here." She replied in an almost shaky tone. With that kind of answer, Adelram smiled lightly and finally looked at her.

"Very well, if anything happens, just be sure to stick with me. We must be wary of who we are teaming up with, especially if we're talking about Lizards."

Vanessa's eyes widened in shock when she heard the term. They are known as the kind of parties that lure in adventurers into joining their team and put themselves in a corner. That's where they leave behind the new party member, and let it be killed by the boss, or get swarmed by a group of monsters, leaving them its equipment and finally informing the guild that they couldn't manage to save their victim.

"I guess let's just play safe and do our best, that's our only option." She smiled weakly at Adelram, "And as what sir Kaine said, maybe the party you have joined before is weaker, so I guess they won't be needing to do that, am I right?—"

"Wrong."

Vanessa was a bit surprised by how Adelram answered without hesitation. His eyes narrowed together with his eyebrows, as if he remembered something that was better forgotten. He didn't make eye contact with Vanessa but it would seem that a simple answer is all she needed to hear after rejecting the idea that their current party is enough to take down the dragon. Adelram looked at the members of the party to make sure no one was eavesdropping on them. Knowing that it's clear, he carefully put his mouth near Vanessa's ear, and whispered, "The levels of the previous party were sixty and above." He stared at her for a second to tell her it was no joke, then looked back at the way without checking the map.

"It* was left unscathed, and as I said earlier, it seeks pleasure in fighting and destruction. The whole party was already at the point where they were only fighting for survival, no matter how deep their wounds are, and how exhausted everyone was."

*Adelram used "it" so other party members will have no idea what they were talking about, unless they were really listening to what he was saying, which is unlikely to happen.

Vanessa's shoulders lowered as she felt uneasy with the answer she's given. Although Adelram is ten levels weaker than Vanessa, or maybe more. She noticed his eyes were oddly calm given the situation they're about to face, she wondered why he didn't persuade or explain it to them about who and how strong they're up against. As much as Vanessa wants to inform them, she instead trusts Adelram and keeps her mouth shut, knowing that there's a high chance they're with Lizards, at least Vanessa can fight back at Adelram in case of any suspicious activity.

"Hey! is that the door to the dragon's lair?" Aisha excitedly stated, with others looking at the door already, "It is! Let's go and prepare the things and spells we're gonna use." With Harry's reply, they all felt impatient and preparing did not take too much time.

Ahh... finally, it's time for the hunt...

—!?!!

Adelram felt strange, and the party's atmosphere began to change. And he's not the only one who feels the same. His smile turned upside down and looked at Vanessa, it seemed that she was trying to get his attention, realising that she was already looking at him the moment he turned his head to her. He looked at others, and nothing seems to have changed, that is if you look on the outside. As if the whole party was grinning and filled to the brim with malicious intent aimed towards them. Vanessa went closer to Adelram who was standing a bit away from the party. Probably at a distance where no one can hear them. "You... you noticed it right?"

"How could I not?" Adelram looked at the party, and seemed normal from their movement. But you know that's all on the outside when you actually came face to face with lizards before. He closed his eyes for a second and only opened them to look at Vanessa, who's feeling worried the moment they found out their schemes.

"Hey! you!" As she finished preparing, Kris approached the two and stared at Vanessa first. It was awkward when moments passed and she wasn't saying anything. Adelram narrowed his eyes and after Kris stared at Vanessa, he closed his, avoiding eye contact.

I know what you're doing Ms. Kris, a little [False Identity] should do the trick.

Kris was surprised by the statistics she saw from Adelram, it's pretty average, strength is weak, no signs of magical power, but it balances with Intelligence. But looking at his level, she rubs her eyes to check one more time, and it didn't change. Level One Hundred Fifty Eight?! This is bad!! Really bad! We're supposed to let the two die. But with this level!? I need to keep an eye on Adelram. She gritted her teeth with her hands clenched.

"Y–you..."

Kris suddenly slapped Adelram while trembling in fear, while he didn't even dodge or defend as if he saw this one coming, "I know what you're hiding—"

"You know, dragons are known for their strength," Adelram says, taking steps slowly, the atmosphere felt so heavy with each step he takes, "their wisdom, and the knowledge that shows no depths." He suddenly stopped. "So if you really think that you guys can defeat the dragon, you are seriously mistaken."

"But–"

Adelram slammed his palm on the rock walls of the cave, making Kris and Vanessa flinch, "–since you know how strong I already am, I believe this is somewhat beneficial not only to you, but to him," he let go his hand that's stuck on the wall and dusted it off while he points at Harry with his other hand, "to him," then proceeds to point at Harold, "to all of you, and most of all, to us new party members. To be quite frank, you are lucky that I am interested in defeating a dragon, you do realize that I don't really care how much you pay me, right?"

He bends over to reach Kris' eye level, "Now back to the power you know that I'm hiding."

"What are you going to do about it?" Adelram opened his eyes and looked at her as if she was her prey. From the way he pierced through her like he was staring at her soul, Kris knew that once she told the whole party about his level, she's the first person to meet death, the thought of it made her flinch and make eye contact impossible. "You know what happens when you tell them, right?" He placed his hand on her shoulder, then she felt his ominous aura that made her shiver.

Leaving Kris with clenched fists and her face looking down, Harry and the whole party are done getting ready. He looked at the two of them and tried to get a grasp on the situation. Considering that he failed to do so, he finally asked, "Is there any problem? Kris? Sir Adelram?"

Kris quickly replied, "N-no, there is no problem," Even if it was Harry who asked, she still couldn't look him in the eye since her eyes might tell him something about Adelram. "Since you're all ready, I guess it's my turn to prepare right?" She left in a hurry, because she might get left behind, and the very reason was because she wanted to get nowhere near Adelram.

With Kris finally gone, Harry's expression changed from being composed to really pissed off, his eye brows are narrow along with his eyes, you will be able to see from afar that he's wearing a huge frown while looking at Adelram, "Seriously though, what happened?"

"As Kris said, it's nothing, okay? So please, turn your frown upside down, eh?" Adelram starts walking toward the two huge doors without looking at anyone. Vanessa doesn't want to be alone with the party, so she follows Adelram. She feels at ease every time she's with him. There's just this warmth in his words and comfort in his decisions, as if he knew what's going to happen in this quest.

When Adelram is about to open the door, Harold suddenly claps his hands to get their attention, leaving Adelram's hands barely touching the wooden doors. With no intention to listen, he's just waiting for him to finish what he's saying, so they can just get in already. "So here's the plan everyone, since Adelram knows this place better, I guess it would be wise to let him lead the way."

Others agreed as they answered by nodding, "Also, there may be traps lingering inside that might hinder us from our hunt!" Aisha grinned. To be honest, what she said is convincing, but deep down, she's just using this to add more excuses for Adelram to be the dragon's bait. There are also no cases of a dungeon's final lair having traps.

"That's true, there's probably monsters as well, I guess sir Adelram would be kind enough to kill it for us while we take down the dragon, right?" Lynya added while she's looking at Adelram.

For a split second, Adelram saw Lynya making faces at him. She was trying to get on his nerves. Adelram took a deep breath and a loud sigh, I guess there really are people like this.

Vanessa saw the whole thing, thus she felt unnecessary sympathy for Adelram, so she tapped his shoulder and smiled gently, "I know what they're up to..." The thought of being left behind or being killed ran across her mind, she didn't want to die in such a pitiful situation. These thoughts made her shiver and clench her fist. "I'll remember this day, this day where I met someone like you, sir Adelram."

Adelram looked at the scared Vanessa, her face looking hopeless and seeing her gather her resolve for this final day made him smile, "That's very nice of you Vanessa. For that, I shall protect you with my capabilities, until we defeat the dragon, or not." He pats her head, "Also, I don't have much of a choice, do I?"

He turned around to face the whole party, who were waiting for his answer, leaving him in a smile, "Alright, I shall lead you all to the dragon's lair. Please, take care of the dragon for me while I take care of the possible traps and monsters."

He sighed in his mind, he knew there would be no such thing in a dragon's lair. He looked at Vanessa and finally opened the door. They suddenly felt gusts of wind from the inside, causing everyone's hair to wave along the current and cover their eyes from dust. Adelram's eyes widened when he felt a strong flow of mana from the winds, "EVERYONE DUCK!!!–"

Vanessa's quick reaction helped her dodge the attack. With everyone a bit farther, they had enough time to evade it as well. However, with Kris' doubtful decisions and a disturbed mind, she didn't get to evade at all. Her efforts of trying were wasted as the [Wind Blade] slashed both her eyes, hopefully, only temporarily blinding her. Everyone rushed to her as soon as the spell disappeared, leaving Vanessa and Adelram at the entrance while watching them go to her.

"Aaarrrgghh!" Kris screamed while holding her eyes, at least to try reducing the pain. "IT HURTS!— MAKE IT STOP!" Kaine got irritated by her thrashing around, so he immediately held her arms. "Damn it Kris! Stop flailing like an idiot! We're trying our best to heal your injury!"

Hearing the reply, she continued struggling, but she seems to be calming down as time passes by. "I have a long cloth here to at least stop the bleeding physically." Leonard took out a spare cloth, with a length enough to be carefully wrapped around Kris' head. Aisha then kneeled down and placed her hands on Kris' head soon after Leonard finished wrapping the cloth.

"[Heal][Continuous Healing], and [Restore - Sanity]." She exhaled hard due to her excessive use of mana after casting such spells and noticed that Kris' wound stopped bleeding, but the wound might be deep and it'll start bleeding again once it gets strained, so they didn't move nor even touch the cloth. "That should be it."

"Let's continue, so we can finally get out of here and let Kris rest and be healed up." Harry looked at Kris who's being held by Kaine on her right and Lynya on the left.

"By continue, do you mean kill me?"

Their eyes widened when they heard the voice, leaving them unable to move as the voice was enough to send shivers on their spine. They all knew where it came from, but they couldn't even look at the one who said it because they felt that once they did, their heads would be falling off from their bodies. "Well, well, well." The dragon bends his head low enough for the paralyzed team to see the huge beast. "Look who we have here. Please, don't be afraid, I don't plan on killing you all..."

They felt relieved knowing that they will be given a chance to return, giving them a chance to breathe air in and think about their escape. Hopefully be alive without anyone missing–

"...Yet," Hearing the next word made Harrold sweat profusely, "For what is entertainment if it only lasted for a few seconds?" Then, followed by a soft chuckle from the dragon, but loud enough for the whole cave to shake lightly.

"We're..." Harry clenched his fist, not just because of anger, but despair as well, "we're just entertainment for the dragon?!" He finally resolved himself and glared at the dragon, "Tch, You damned beast." Then he took some steps just to give the dragon some thoughts he gathered while being immobile for some time. "DON'T YOU FUCKING DARE UNDERESTIMATING US JUST BECAUSE YOU HIT ONE OF US WITH A DISGUSTING SPELL–"

"Noisy." The dragon lifted his tail and slammed it to Harry who was venting out his anger. It was so fast, they didn't even get to see Harry fighting against the weight of its tail. A huge pool of blood and bones were left, while the dragon's tail repeatedly slammed the ground, making the pool of blood splash like a child jumping on a puddle of rainwater. "Who's next? I don't intend to entertain myself with such rude guests. Perhaps destroying their bodies are somehow entertaining, so they aren't completely useless at all."

"Now, back to what I was saying," A low rumbling echoed through the cave as the dragon smiled, "I, Fotianemos, desire entertainment by battling. If I get entertained even slightly, I will be willing to let you all go." He chuckled slightly while examining the party, "That is, if you all are still alive by then."

The whole party starts gathering their strength when Fotianemos suppressed its killing intent. Harold looked at everybody and let them gather up to him. It left Aisha sitting on the wall near the huge door, where Kris was lying down on Aisha's lap to recover from her injury.

"A–Aisha?"

"Hm?" Hearing Kris' words as she finally calms down, Aisha attentively looked at Kris and caressed her hair and replied, "What is it?"

"I don't think I can do this anymore..." Kris answered with a trembling voice, even without her eyesight, she can sense a strong aura in the lair. So strong, that it got her to reflect on what she's done. The sense of guilt hits her in every adventurer she remembers killing and stealing their equipment for their own benefit.

"You mean what we've always done since the beginning being an adventurer?" Aisha remained calm after hearing what Kris had to say, but inside she can't stand what she just said. As much as she wants to cast Wind Blades to her again, she instead bit her lip, trying to suppress her anger. Fortunately for her, Kris can't see the burning hatred in her eyes.

"Don't you think this is the payback for what we did to the guys before?" Kris asked while completely ignoring what Aisha asked, making her realise it as well, the pressure of the atmosphere isn't just affecting Kris after all. Even Aisha's thoughts began clouding up.

"What in the world are you talking about?!" Aisha couldn't contain her anger anymore, "for your damn sake Kris, we've been doing this since the beginning for your sake!! Ours as well! So don't ever think that it's revenge for the guys we killed, THEY'RE DEAD ANYWAY!!!"

Everyone flinched when they heard Aisha, not exactly because of her shouting, but because of what they heard from her. Adelram didn't like what he heard and looked at Harold, "Who's dead?" Even his calm demeanor shows a strong bloodlust that everyone sensed from him. His emotionless stare added pressure along with the beast's.

Harold smiled nervously and avoided eye contact, "...Uhm, you see." He quickly drew his blade and tried slashing Adelram down, he aimed at his right shoulder, but then it missed, Adelram's speed isn't something to be played with.

Damn it, if this bitch's mouth just kept close... Harold looks at Kaine and Leonard, he nods as if they'll now proceed with what they usually do. He looked back at Adelram then grinned in such a twisted way, it feels like you're facing a different person. "We've been killing adventurers in dungeons to earn gold."

Even with the loud noise of the crowd, Harold's statement passed through Adelram and Vanessa's ears as if the place was silent. Since they earned the job as adventurers, it's normal for them to hunt monsters for a living. A single, easiest quest can make you earn enough to live throughout a day. Thus, resulting in a belief that killing another adventurer for gold is shameful in the world full of them.

"Even a beast like me would feel enraged after hearing what you said." The glare of both Adelram and the dragon made Harold sweat profusely. He gulped after hearing it's statement and took a step back, trying to gain distance even if the dragon can reach both ends of the lair. "Now..." The dragon closed its eyes and the ground trembled when it released a tremendous amount of mana, "TELL ME, BLACK HAIRED HUMAN, WHAT DO I DO WITH SUCH THIS PERSON, AND ALL HIS HENCHMEN?!"

Harold looked quickly at Adelram with eyes wide like saucers, "Sir Adelram, please! Don't do this!! I'll give you all our stuff instead! Or... or we'll quit as adventurers!! JUST DON'T LET IT KILL US!!" He took another step back with others. Adelram looked at the dragon who's waiting for his answer, and tilted his head to look at Harold probably for the last time, the thought of it made him smile a little.

"Please, do as you like."

"Hahahahaha! Then you don't mind me doing it!"

"Everyone RUN—!" Harold's head fell off when he turned around trying to escape. With him dead, the rest trembled together and started running as well. Their wicked smiles and thoughts were replaced with twisted faces and despair.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO! I can't be dying at a place like this! At least not now!! Lynya's face is covered in sweat while trying to run for her life, together with the rest. The dragon simply used its large tail to hit her from the side, the impact made her fly away and hit Aisha who's running as well. They landed near Kris who's trying to know what's happening, "Aisha?! Where are you Aisha?! Answer me... Wh-what's going on?!?"

Seeing the women down, Kaine gritted his teeth and glared at the dragon, as if it made him remember a distant memory about women getting hurt, "You... You damned beast!!" He ran towards it and and [Leap]ed, so high that he reached the dragon's head, he unsheathed his blade and looked for any weak spots he could hit in its head, but there was not a single loose scale. So he had to improvise by enhancing his attack, a hit in the head is the most effective hit afterall, "[Armour Piercing]!! [Enhance]!!!" His blade glowed bright blue after chanting spells midair. Confident with his skills, his smile turned into despair when his blade didn't even scratch the dragon. Instead, the blade bounced off and produced a loud clunk that ringed in everyone's ears. The dragon raised its arm and grabbed Kaine while he's midair then proceeded on crushing his armour with little effort. Screams echoed through the liar and blood started spilling on its hands, limp limbs are just seen on its hand. It's crushed so badly, you'll doubt it's a corpse of a human.

The dragon raised its hand and realised that he's already dead, so it threw it in a corner, which made everyone who heard the bones cracking shrivel in fear. After the body fell down with a slight thud, the dragon turned his head and finally met eyes with the last person.

"And here I thought you would bring me entertainment."

Leonard pulled his sword out and raised it against the dragon, with his arms visibly shaking, he used his remaining strength and shouted, "Get Away from me you monster!!" The dragon responds with a grin and a roar so loud that earth starts shaking violently and rocks start falling, finally making his sword drop. He ended up kneeling on all fours, still trembling in sheer fear, only now that he realises that the whole team is no match against the dragon. The only thing he can do now was what others have been into since the beginning, despair.

The dragon meets eyes with Leonard and soon finds out that he lost his will to do anything, so it swiftly crunches his head as a response from seeing the man's empty eyes. Then proceeded to face Adelram now that traitors have been taken care of.

"Human, I am disappointed. I didn't imagine that they would be this weak."

Ms. Vanessa is left... I don't think she's the type of person to reveal things anyway. Adelram smiled while looking at the bodies and making sure none of them were moving. "Then what do you want me to do?" His arrogant tone together with a smile leaves the dragon more agitated.

"Leave." An orange portal starts forming at the end of the large hall after the dragon speaks. It moves aside to give way for the two, "I have no interest for those who can't even scratch my scales."

"Why scratch your scales when I can slit your throat?" The dragon's eyes widened after hearing the words coming out from Adelram. Vanessa turned around with fear starting to fill up in her eyes, "Wh—what are you saying?!" She wasn't expecting a reply so she looked back at the dragon and hoped that things would not go worse than what had happened a while back.

The dragon laughed for a second and growled at Adelram, "Such confidence for a young man, don't make me crush your limbs and just go." His eyes were locked at him. Albeit being threatened already by the dragon, Adelram simply clicked his tongue and still wears a smile, "Don't tell me that fight a while ago made you exhausted," his smile turned upside down and placed his left hand on his chin as if he's thinking, "so much for being a dragon." His demeanor clearly wants to provoke it.

!!—

Just as Adelram was about to turn his face to look at Vanessa, the ground shook and dust clouded up, making it impossible to see how Adelram was doing. Hearing the dragon snarl, she knew that something happened to Adelram, so she screamed, "SIR ADELRAAAMM!!"

Why!? Vanessa's eyes teared up, I'm... I can't believe I'm this weak!! Her feet finally give in when she realises that she is already at death's door, making her kneel on all fours. The dragon's head was on top of the cloud of dust, so witnessing her giving up made it laugh, and ended with a snort, "I can't believe this man. The audacity to put up an arrogant demeanor and finally belittling my strength, WHERE DID YOU FIND THIS YOUNG MAN?!"

As the dust begins to settle, Vanessa's eyes are starting to give in as well, her vision starts to blur. Isaac... Baines... I'm, I'm really sorry. And just as she's about to lose her consciousness, her eyes widen and start to glow. What? My strength, it's returning. Tiny dots of golden light started to appear around her, and at a distance, saw two red glowing dots just inches below the dragon's claw, as if a predator was observing from afar.

Her senses are coming back, and she realised that she's being carried by someone. Vanessa jumped out in fear when she saw who was carrying her, a tall, jet black knight. Upon observing, he put his hands down, like a puppet who got its strings cut, as if it's not alive.

"Im—impossible..." Vanessa quickly stood up and faced the dragon after hearing it speak, but what made her surprised isn't because of the dragon, but to the eye like red dots that were below its feet. "Sir Adelram?" She gathered her strength to speak and gambled to see if it really was him. A blood-soaked hand went out in one of the dragon's claws, then the other, he really did live. She quickly took a step as she decided to help him, but Adelram raised his hand, telling her to stop.

"You'll get hurt if you come closer." The voice didn't come from the dragon's claw, instead, to the knight that's a few steps behind Vanessa. She turns around and the armour starts to crumble and fall, leaving Adelram standing from where the black knight's last place.

"But, I thought, you were–" Adelram placed a finger on her lips to prevent her from speaking, "Save the questions for later, right now, is the time..." Adelram starts walking towards the dragon with a big grin on his face.

"...The time to Hunt."

0