Chapter 6 – Hiding in plain sight
3.2k 1 107
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The old man, called Matsuo was a truly nice person. His house was on the northern side of the village and slightly bigger than the rest. He had two unused bed in which we could stay for the night. 

"Once they belonged to my son's." He told them, "they went to be Shinobi and never came back home." He turned sad when telling us that his son's had not passed the final exams at the Shinobi Academy getting killed by their peers. 

"They were accepted in the academy and didn't survive the final exams against their classmates."

"Against his classmates?" Gene asked natively. 

"Yes, in the Mist they pit the graduates against each other and the survivors become Shinobi. Their hands drenched in their comrade's blood to become emotionless and cruel killers for the sole purpose of waging war in the name of the village."

Gene was shivered when she heard how Shinobi of the Mist passed their exams and what was necessary for it. That was true senseless slaughter and cruelty in her eyes. She wondered if the Home of Riki and the others had a similar practice, if they too had killed their classmates.

"Being a Shinobi without clan little Boy is not a desirable thing.", He told him, "as commoners you are dependent on luck among other things to manage becoming one, and surviving as one is even harder." 

"Mhh but I still want to be healthy and jump around like a Shinobi. Mama, Papa and Uncle wouldn't be that sad when talking about me." She responded, letting some feelings she usually bottled up when she was thinking of her real parents out.
They Always worried, always had a certain sadness in them, she truly hoped that they would find happiness after she was gone. It could eat one up from the inside out when you saw just how much strength went into something that they couldn't control nor change. She had been sick, always sick, her health a mess and the only truly positive thing about now was that while this body was weak due to hunger and malnourishment it was healthy and that her parents in her former life had a real chance at finding peace. Now she had the possibility to do all the things she never had a chance to try. 

"Well, that is a beautiful goal, I hope you achieve it, little boy." He grinned at her and his wrinkled face lit up.

"I am Gene." She responded and stretched out her hand. 

"You can call me Tooru boy, and you are?" He looked at the others. 

"I am Hiro and this are my Wife Yui and her brother Riki. You have my thanks, Sir Matsuo." Hiro introduced the others to Tooru. He left them to themselves and Riki stretched his long legs and as he fell on his back into the bed. 

"Lucky" Hiro said and Yui nodded in agreement, they truly had been lucky to find a place for tonight. Riki fell into the bed and closed his eyes, "We were damn lucky." he said, sounding relived.

Hiro opened his eyes and a small smile appeared on his face. "They are coming, I can feel them approaching. Little Princess, we are counting on your acting skills." He said and wandered to one of the walls with a concentrated expression.  

"Come Hiro relax your Chakra senses and change, Sir Matsuo invited us for dinner." Riki said and Hiro nodded without relaxing as did Yui. Brimming with energy they headed down after a while where Matsuo already prepared something to eat from them. 

"I hope you all like fish.", He said, and Yui took the platters from him, setting the tables. Gene had to suppress her dislike. Fish was the one thing she had once to often during her time in a clinic in Venice.
"Mhh, I like it lots." She said, for now, she needed whatever food she could get into her stomach and needed to play her part. Eat, get stronger, be healthy and pretend well.

The fish was Delicious, despite the fact she was fighting against herself to pretend to be excited.
Venice had been truly a bad time, one of the worst, even she had five attacks a week and a rather uncomfortable experimental genetic therapy. The city itself was one of the most beautiful, and from her hospital view she had the possibility to observe Sunrise every morning.

Yui, Hiro and Riki chatted happily with Matsuo as the front door opened and three tall males with headbands and armor entered. 

"Hello, we are searching for three Konoha Shinobi and suspect them here." One of them said and Gene demonstratively clutched to Yui's side looking at them with big eyes. She didn't even have to fake the fascination looking at them, she was fascinated. 

Gene was picked up by Yui who looked at the Shinobi. 

"You three and the child they said you arrived today?" They asked and Yui nodded. 

"We did." Riki answered. 

"With whom did you arrive?" Shinobi 1 spoke, the oldest of the three.

"No one, we arrived by ourselves.", Riki answered. 

"No one, you said. Which family are you from not many civilians can afford traveling that far and be safe without the protection of the Shinobi.", He eyed them. 

"Yamai, we are not rich enough to afford Shinobi protection, especially during those times, but have enough for traveling by ourselves. We were merely Lucky until now." Riki explained, and Gene looked up at him. A naive child would probably ask her whom those men were searching for. 

"Mama, why are those Shinobi here?" She asked Yui who stoked her head smiled at her nodding subtly to continue. 

"They are searching for other Shinobi bad ones." Yui answered kissing Gene's temple. 

"I see, will you remain here for longer and if not where will you go?"  The third of the Mist Shinobi asked. His voice was clearer than the others and softer goosebumps formed on her skin. 

"We will leave tomorrow and continue our way to the Land of Fire." Riki answered as Yui carried Gene away. Snuggling closer to Yui she kept silent and pretended to be observing the Shinobi while being carried away. 

Hopefully they believe us and everything works out. 

Yui placed her in bed. "Good work, leave the rest to the grown-ups." 

 

107