Chapter 32 – Illusions and delusions
1.7k 3 60
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Gene felt a creepy feeling walk up her spine as she waited for whatever was about to come now. Everything was the same but it just a small tad different. 

It was cold, bitterly cold and she knew the cold by now better than she ever wanted, but this reminded her of the very day she had first arrived in this world. The kind of cold and stiffness that came with a rapidly approaching death. Putting her hand on the ground, she tried using her Chakra and it didn't work. She flinched. It had been her constant companion, her only weapon, the only thing that was completely utterly hers. 

Her Indipendent strength. 

It frightened her more than she would willingly admit now that it was gone.

Looking around, desperately suppressing the raising fear she noticed that other things didn't for together either. This was not reality, this was a Genjutsu, she remembered from her common-sense Theories lessons with Shisui. Internally she started reciting Shisui's words. Genjutsus were always different, but always illusions, mostly illusions coming from one's greatest fear or whatever the user wanted a person to see. Ironically the cold was something she feared most even if Ice was her biggest and currently only weapon, one she had at best shaky control of. 

When finding myself trapped in a Genjutsu first I have to realize it. The easiest way to break it, is mental force and awareness. I practiced with Shisui and I can do it after all I broke out of his and he told me that Genjutsus don't seem to work perfectly on me.

She reminded herself and took a breath calming breath, closing her eyes. 

This is not reality. Shove against it, fight it and break it

He had practiced even if she had always needed an eternity to break free from his Genjutsu. It had been mostly at the end of training sessions when her legs were burning, her Chakra wheezing and she herself noticing in her 650 muscles some she swore she hadn't known before. Fear too was bad, fear taking over was another way to swift way into the netherworld, and she doubted very much there would be a third chance. 

The resistance was weaker than with Shisui, more malleable and raising her metaphorical metal fist she punched it with all her force and felt it splinter underneath. Another time or two, and she knew it would break away completely.

She felt how her body was dragged along by her collar. Barely any time to register it a Kunai came flying at her and she screamed "up!" 

"Oh you are back.", Shisuis voice said, and she was immediately dropped by him and shoved to the left. "If you could please make him into a human ice stature.", he continued, "I am not certain I can keep myself from mauling him."

Gene looked at Danzo who breathed heavily and was visibly exhausted. "I do not think that is necessary anymore." She muttered and looked at the old man. "He overdid it." Shisui growled but remained where he was. It was true Danzo was so exhausted by using his Genjutsu that he was not a threat any longer. The others who could fight for him were knocked out or still frozen. 

"You are nothing but children." Danzo cursed and looked at them with sheer hatred. "You are a Traitor Shisui are you not ashamed of yourself. Working with Kirigakure. I always knew, Hiruzen's softness would breed people like you with no Loyalty to Konoha and following your ancestor!" He became louder and louder with every word and Gene couldn't help herself but shake her head at his behavior. She was no Spy, not even of this world.

"I am a civilian, sir elder, my name is not Yuki, maybe the girl in this body was one, but I am not. I am Genevieve Bernaude and no one else!" She uncounciously got louder with the last words as if she wanted to remind herself. "Born in Paris, the Capital City of France. And if I die I will not die a Traitor or Spy, but of old age telling my family that my second chance was an amazing life." 

"You are a Kirigakure Shinobi, you cannot be anything else. This ice is the Kekkei Genkai of the Yuki who fight for the bloody mist." Danzo was calm when saying that, but each of his words was filled with vicious poison. "You should know that Shisui! You fought with Kiri know their mercilessness and cruelness. We have almost won, and now Hiruzen desires to end this war for nothing. How can a boy Loyal as you fight with a Kirigakure Shinobi, against me your elder?" 

"When was the last time you were beyond those safe walls?" Shisui asked him. "Have any of you ever taken a look in the situation among civilians? We cannot continue this war, we simply lack resources, it has been going on for too long." 

"What does it matter, they are Civilians, collateral damage and if there a few deaths who cares. Konoha can create peace and prosperity for all. The Land of Fire can be almighty, powerful, and I would lead it to even greater spheres." He said, and Gene shivered at those words. Not because of fear or due to the situation but because of his words, the ignorance even she could see. 

"Who feeds you?" She asked him, completely flabbergasted at his war of thinking. "Who makes your clothes? Your Weapons? Builds your Houses? Whom would you rule, the 1% Shinobi population?"  

Shisui closed his eyes before staring at Danzo with tears of blood running down his cheeks. "Gene he will not understand. It is civilians who do those things not Shinobi." 

Shsiui grabbed his Tanto tighter and stepped closer to Danzo who retreated a step from him. "I am still an elder of Konoha you cannot kill me. Uchiha Traitor." 

"Oh it seems he can, just wait a bit, I desire my Payment first." They heated a voice from above and Gene felt her eyes widen. 

Who? 

"Or at least that would be one of my protégé's words." 

60