II Chapter 3 – A shadow in the moonlight
1.2k 2 40
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Shisui left her alone and despite feeling tired, she just couldn't find it in herself to find any resemblance to rest. Her thoughts were running at lightning speed, and she was walking a line into the wooden floor. Stopping in her tracks she hit both of her cheeks. 

I need to take a bath anyway, maybe that helps. 

The bath was really needed, she had leaves in her hair and specks of dirt everywhere. Altogether she made a pretty sorry figure since one of her sleeves was torn at the edges. Her practice clothing took more than a few hits ever since she bought it, and a new practice clothing would soon become necessary.

If I hadn't needed to hurry that much I would have never attended that meeting looking like this. 

She peeled herself out of the filthy clothes and moved  behind the painted with red camellia flowers screen separating the bathing area from her bedroom and working area. Luckily, running water already existed, and she filled the big wooden tub with steaming hot water while wiping the worst of the outside and patiently untaping her fingers. She had quite a few calluses on them and quite a few of her fingertips were red because of the torn skin, here and there one could see the flesh, it was the main reason why she was wearing protection for her hands now and not only her underarms. Not that it mattered, she needed to become stronger. "I need to do something about that.", She muttered while disinfecting the wounds. Blowing on them, she stopped the water and climbed carefully into the tub. "Heaven.", she muttered, closing her eyes and enjoying the warmth enveloping her and her aching muscles.

At the hospital they will only tell me I should step back on practice, but I cannot afford that, I am already behind in physical stuff. 

Even tough she had gotten used to training and the strange culture of suspicion, loyalty, occasional mercy and strict Shinobi culture, she sometimes wished to be a civilian. Days as a Shinobi were exhausting but also rewarding, luckily there was no war going on, or she wouldn't be so sure.  Without a Clan like the Uchiha, Hatake, Hyuga, Nara or others, and there were a few as a support, she would be one of many Orphans from war somewhere in one of many Orphanages and quickly forgotten living under far harsher conditions. 

I was just lucky.

The Uchiha treated her quite well, she had her own space, no living costs and could save all her money for her own apartment, Shisui treated her quite like he would treat a little Sister making sure she had anything she wanted. Itachi was also pretty nice even if very distanced from a personal side, he was a total little bro-con for his baby brother Sasuke which she found extremely cute. The one thing all Uchiha seemed to have in common were that in some way they carried a certain extreme that sometimes bordered close to obsession. Quite a few of the people in possession, especially those that carried an awakened Sharingan, had that tendency.  

Still she hoped once she graduated she would end up with Kakashi or Shisui as a Team leader with Tsukiko as her team partner and with a bit of luck with Itachi who scarily effective and competent of a classmate.
Almost too competent to be still called human, the only strange thing was. He actually declined an early graduation the academy proposed to him due to being head's and heels above everyone else, without ever speaking to anyone why he did so. He just continued hanging out with them afterwards, speaking little more than three words a day.

Sinking down into the water she opened her eyes underwater enjoying the remaining light flowed through the water and was reflected with a small smile. This was still amazing, and comfortable. The facetted moonlight reflections were amazing seeing them from underneath. 

Emerging she stepped outside and dried herself, let the water out and hurried into her PJ and hushing to her futon wrapping herself up in the covers she signed and closed her eyes. 

Enough of dwelling on deep thoughts. Sleep. Whatever is going on will be there tomorrow to and to do anything you need to sleep well. 

Beating down her impatience, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath, noticing how the day caught up, and she slowly drifted away.

At some point something was becoming uncomfortable, and she opened her eyes looking into dark surroundings. No light, turning she looked through the window. A cloud covered the moon and there was no light, it was, strangely so, completely death silent. 

It's never silent here, someone is always on the rush. Either on the way to a mission, returning from a mission or something else. 

She rose and walked with naked feet over the cold wooden floor to her window and opened it, glancing outside. Nothing, only silence, not even rustling leaves from hedgehogs or other night active animals.  

Huh

Looking around everything was calm, there was nothing, but the bad feeling was not vanishing. 

Maybe I am starting to imagine things because of the entire traitor thing. 

Stepping back she closed her window and re-locked it, checking over the lock again. 

Ah, damn. 

She channeled her Chakra into it and the window using Shisuis knock out trick. Every Shinobi worth their salt would notice, but it would also wake her. Walking up to the door of her room, she did the same there. Rolling her shoulders she fell back into her bed and drew the covers over herself only to be wide awake. 

Now I can't sleep anymore. 

Suddenly a clothed shadow in a coat and with a mask hushed over the rooftops. 

Anbu mask? 

She raised and rubbed her eyes. Sure seeing better and colored at night was nice but either her imagination was starting to go into overdrive or she actually just saw someone. 

A Clan member on his way? In a mask, it certainly didn't look like Anbu. 

Curiosity winning her over, she slipped into one of her coats and a pair of shoes, opened the window and left her room. Outside, she soundlessly landed and jumped forward on the rooftop. Concentrating, she looked around. Every nook and cranny in this place was well known, but there was no one around. No people on the pathways, not a single noise. She got on her knees and touched the spot where she had noticed the figure. 

Nothing

Standing up and finally declaring herself crazy she wanted to leave but something reddish caught her eye. 

Is that blood? 

A dark small drop of red was on the roof, a bit off but still fresh. She touched it and rubbed her still bandaged fingers.  

Fresh and now it would be a real good time to have Kakashi's summon here. Whoever that was is gone now, and I would love to know who that was. 

 

40