II Chapter 19 – Lessons with Mikoto-san
804 2 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Itachi was already standing there, the perfect son while Gene was simply dozing of while standing next to him in a desperate attempt to stay awake after the adrenaline shock of the fact that Mikoto-san was their sensei had subsided.

Mikoto-san smiled sweetly, it somehow gave her the same feeling that Tsukiko sometimes gave off when she was about to do something. Immediately springing her brain into action she started paying more attention. 

"Ah now I am sure you are startled by me appearing here and the premise of lessons for you two, but since your graduation is around the corner, and you are suspended...", she didn't need to elaborate and Gene suddenly felt her nagging headache becoming worse. 

Oh, please, don't let her figure out it was me last night. 

"Now I need a complete overview of your current level, and I'd like to start with you using your strongest Ninjutsu. Since I know that Itachi you will likely choose a fire based jutsu we will be doing this at the small lake. Gene I am very excited to see what you will show me." Mikoto-san smiled brightly and Gene followed her along with Itachi like a lost foal. 

Itachi placed himself in front of the bridge. She was almost waiting for a fire release bullet when Itachi made a few hand signs she didn't know. 

[Fire Release: Crimson Nails.] 

The surrounding flames started dancing, and small turning projectiles clad in fire appeared, attacking the water surface while shifting their position and turning. This was a legitimate B-Rank Jutsu and Gene admitted she didn't know Itachi could use B-Rank Jutsu, was he certain that he was a Genjutsu major and did not want to change to Ninjutsu. 

Mikoto-san clapped her hands, with a bright expression. "Excellent, I see that you have greatly improved may I know it's name?" she asked Itachi who was visibly excited to be praised by his mother. 

"Yes, it's called Fire Release: Phoenix Sage Flower Nail Crimson, but Tsukiko thought it sounded complicated, so she shortened it to Fire Release: Crimson Nails and after I while I agreed with her the name is easier to call out." he said blushing a bit under his mother's loving gaze while Gene suddenly felt under pressure, she only used B-Rank Jutsu when it came down to Ice-Style, she was not so great with water or wind jutsu, at least not with anything that did not scream self made. 

Wait a moment, human popsicle, Water Style has a similar use if I remember right, trapping your opponent.

"Now Gene, I know that you use wind and water style, so show me whatever you think is best."

"Yeah.", Gene stepped to the shore and did a few hand signs. 

[Water Style: Water Prison.]

A giant ball of water formed. 

Maybe it wasn't such a good choice, it does look bland compared to Itachis Jutsu. 

Should I have gone with a something like a Hurricane. 

"Impressive, I haven't seen it before, but it is a clever way to trap your opponents." Mikoto looked at her with visible surprise. "This is B-Rank as well, I knew your grades did not reflect your skill, but I wouldn't have guessed that." 

"They basically reflect my skill in Taijutsu, I know I am not great on using close combat, that is why I trap my opponent and shoot them preferebly before they reach me." Gene pointed at her bow. "The bow allows me to do that on greater distances than a Kunai or a Shuriken.", she explained and Mikoto-san nodded. 

"It is great tactic using your strengths as an advantage. I must say a bow is unconventional but it does  maximize your strengths." She said and Gene nodded secretly proud. Mikoto-san was the first one that openly said that her choice to become an archer, despite being a Shinobi, was not a bad one. Many simply said if she preferred attacking from the distance she should use Kunai and Shuriken which were lighter to carry and more flexible in their use. 

"Alright, now I will be looking at your Taijutsu, Shurikenjutsu, Kenjutsu and Genjutsu skills. Please do your best, later we can decide what needs the most practice and how we can improve the various aspects." She clapped her hand smiling brightly, and obediently the two followed her to the target practice area, where also a few other Shinobi were already practicing. 

"Now Gene, you said your close combat is your weakness, so I assume you are better at Shurikenjutsu, would you go first this time."

Gene nodded, she was good at Shuriken Jutsu, not as great as a true genius, but she knew what she was doing. Picking her Shuriken and Kunai from the side bag she readied herself. 

If I am to prove my Marksmanship, may as well include my archery skills.

She threw her Kunai, they flew straight to the target's middle. Picking up her bow and took two arrows. Focusing she narrowed her eyes and let the arrows loose. 

They hit the two Kunai that twirled out of formation, and she grinned. The Kunai moved out of the way and hit the Targets to the left and the right while the two middle Kunai hit death end in the middle. 

"I am good with Kunai not so great with Shuriken, but I do hit." She said and put down her bow surrounded by utter silence. 

She looked around and no one was speaking a word, all just staring at her. Shrugging her shoulders, throwing Kunai and Shuriken was basic for a Shinobi, as an Academy Student she ought to be capable. 

"What?" She asked and put her bow back pointing Itachi the only one who was already in knowledge of this trick of hers stepped forward. 

He cleverly threw the Kunai and two Shuriken who also hit death end with three targets, this finally caused a wave of sound through the training space with more people watching them with amazement. 

Mikoto-san stared at the two of them with wide eyes, seemingly in need of a moment. 

"The trick with two arrows is not yet at a level where I can use it in combat, but I can do it with one arrow ... in combat." Gene said feeling like she needed to downplay a bit. 

Mikoto-san was not relieved, and now Gene truly felt like she had done something wrong.

Did I overdo it? 

33