II Chapters 25 – Family
785 3 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Gene!"  

"Genevieve!" She heard a voice and opened her eyes, faced Shisui's worried expression"Are you okay?" He asked and Gene shook her head, god she had a headache. 

"Headache. I have the feeling I forgot something." She muttered and searched for her Kunai. "Where is my Kunai?" She asked feeling slightly uncomfortable. 

"Your Kunai?" 

"I always keep a Kunai under my pillow, where is it?" She asked again and searched underneath her pillow getting a bit antsy and nervous. 

"You are in the hospital, Gene, not at home there is no Kunai." He said, and she looked up at him. Hospital? Looking around, she saw the white walls, the window and the light green screen separating her bed from another. "Hospital." She muttered. "I feel like I missed something." 

"Um, you had a Nightmare, maybe It's that, but always had them." He said. "But there are quite a few people who wish to speak with you,.." He gave her a Kunai from his pocket and she suddenly felt relieved with the 

"How long was I out for?" 

"Two days, blood loss mainly, but also exhaustion according to the medic." Shisui smiled helplessly. "The medic almost eviscerated the Hokage what he was thinking of pushing a ten-year-old to live on only a few hours of sleep." 

"I am a Shinobi. If my Mission requires it, I hardly have a choice." Gene shrugged her shoulders and rolled her shoulders, swinging her legs outside the bed and seeing her left one was in a cask. "You said something about blood loss not, that." She pointed at her leg that was covered in a white cask

"Why the heck did you think you lost blood?" He cussed. "You had a large cut that went down your entire leg." 

She nodded, and a knock at the door raised her attention. "Come in." Gene said and suddenly a floor of familiar faces appeared around her bed. 

The people went and left, leaving flowers or excuses, most of them were plainly awkward, even people who always openly opposed her came to look up if she was still alive. Gene suddenly started laughing silently at the noises, feeling hopeless at their actions, laughing heartily at seeing the gatekeeper whose large hulking figure stood there handing her a couple of gets better fast daisies. "I'm fine." She wheezed between laughs"I'm fine, thank you, they are cute." she said with sincerity

"Well, I am happy to see that." Mikoto-san's voice almost thundered through the room, and suddenly the Gatekeeper vanished into thin air. Gene was surprised to see her in black mourning clothes. "Mikoto-sama?" Gene asked surprised and next to her Itachi solemnly standing there with sleeping Sasuke in his arms. Mikoto-san had deep circles under her eyes and was visibly tired. 

"Good to see you awake, it is one loss less for our clan and maybe the only piece of good news the last two days." Her voice was strained and tired as well but still strong. 

Gene kept quiet at her words, fearing a bit what Mikoto would say to her being a Yuki now that everyone knew. "It was quite a surprise for us to discover you are a member of the Yuki." Gene winched at that, honestly she did not want to be thrown out. The Uchiha might in some parts did not care for her, or they even disliked her for the way she entered the Clan, but it was her home nevertheless there was Shisui, the Gatekeeper, Itachi and others she was comfortable with. 

"Nevertheless, you are one of us and this is for you." She said, and handed out a Uniform. Genevieve was a bit surprised when she unfolded it and stared at the sigils embroidered on the back of the light blue Kimono Style tunic and touched it in wonder "This." A Snowflake and the Uchiha fan. "But, this..." 

"It is yours, only yours, you don't have to deny or keep your origins secret anymore. You are an Uchiha and a Yuki, denying where you come from hurts, even if you don't realize it." She said and took Sasuke from Itachi before turning around and leaving her alone. Itachi stayed sitting on top of her bed. "Sorry, it has been a hard week for mother." He said and smiled a bit pained at her. "Since Father is unconscious, she had to take over his position. It hasn't been easy and additionally a few of ours are death, either hit by debris Shisui couldn't deflect and or during the fight, killed in their own home." 

"It's terrible, I can't help it but think I should have been more forceful with the investigation, maybe got myself a bit more help." Gene said, she felt responsible for the death. If she had managed to make it, if she had simply managed to freeze or hit the two males. If there had been a way to be faster. 

"Don't. You did a three man A Rank mission alone because we feared others to fall under the Genjutsus influence. Tsukiko is away investigating another angle and for preparation for Kunshinas approaching birth, and she was the only one who could have helped you." Itachi objected and Shisui patted her head. "You did good." He said. "There would probably more dead if it hadn't been for you fighting this carefully, and how were you supped to know that the traitor would act again this soon. Not even Shikaku-san guessed it, we all expected him to lie low after the announcement of Fukagu-sama at the meeting." 

"They said, they were not the only ones pursuing a goal that night, did anything else happen?" She asked but everyone shook their heads. 

"Not to our knowledge, except we now have a lot of enemies inside the village." Shisui answered. "Our already crumbling reputation hit rock bottom and if it goes on like that the Hokage has to take measures for our protection." 

"Protection?" Gene was wide-eyed at that. "The Uchiha are..."

"We are, you are one of us."

"We ... are a Clan that has protected, bled and fought for this village for generations, always loyal, blood was shed. Over and over again, what kind of people have we fought for if the actions of a single person result in condemning us all?" she looked upwards feeling helpless, looking for an answer, she was thirty now, but she truly did not understand it.

What did the Uchiha wrong for them to be destroyed? Back in France what would generations of the Bernaude fought for if it was just to be condemned and blamed if something went wrong once.

"Gene, Genevieve, earth to you." She looked up at Shisui and Itachi who both smiled and the other Uchiha members who were there. "We are Family, we stick together." 

35