Chapter 6- Meeting Merry
27 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The water in the bay was colored three different shades of green, so it was known as the Maw Sit Sit bay. The shifting colors were caused by a species of abberation algae, which had found the climate suitable. At night they would glow. The bay was a wonder of Lione, and had long since become famous. Froyd had wished he had woken up earlier to catch the proper display.

Krissy Mckenzy was the first to come out. She had worn jeans and a black graphic tee, with red lips painted on it. She was dark-skinned, and pretty, but wore a disinterested expression, especially when she saw Froyd. Krissy braids were twined today with red yarn.

"Single yet, or is that guy still holding onto you?" 

She rolled her eyes and made way to the opposite side of the ship. He didn't say anything else afterward. It had mostly been by reflex that he'd said anything at all. Truthfully, after two and a half years of trying, he had already given up.

As he watched the waves, the rest of the group came out. Froyd gathered his bags and made his way to John and the others. A white lead them up the wooden stairs, and finally, onto Merry. The pines were about a hundred feet away, but their shadows nearly reached Froyd and the others. Fog brought a heavy earthy smell up from the tree roots, as it crept between the giants. There were noises, also, like birds making exotic sounds, and does doing their mating calls. And overhead, the clouds were waning, but stratus clouds remained, and they made it breathtaking. 

Froyd and the others took more than a moment to even see the small group assembled just slightly down the road. The leader smiled and came closer. He wore the light-blue robe of a Mage and was followed by four whites, all in their twenties. He gave a few pleasantries to Mr. Dorsette's attendant, and then addressed the group.

"No time for introductions, just follow me for now."

The path was covered with brown pee rocks, and bordered by the forest. The Journey was very silent. Until they came upon a stone wall with a wooden gate. Two of the larger whites in the group pushed it open. It swung to stone stoppers. An overgrown village showed on the other side. A pond, dark and pungent sat at the hill's bottom. The sound of a giant frog's croak, caused a few of the remaining girls to shuffle further into the group. Froyd thought it was weird, that they were still active despite the lingering chill in the air. The mage led them to the first cabin on the right. It was the only two-storied building present. 

The buildings all seemed well kept to Froyd's eyes. They were actually built from the abundant pine wood. He heard the humming of several air conditioning units and quirked an eyebrow. The island was purposely kept archaic, or so he had been lead to believe.

"Alright, now I'll make this short since my schedule's busy." He sat on a wooden chair on the cabin's porch. He was in his late forties, his skin was brown, and hardened by sunlight. He had average looks. "My name is Damian Lewis. I am the island manager. That means I'm responsible for everything that you will do here for the upcoming year. I'll let these guys have a word before I continue."

The first to step forward was the biggest. His robe barely concealy muscle beneath them.

"My name is Darold Forbes, I work for Merry's branch of the Lionian National Mages Guild. I will be keeping the peace between you guys, for the time being." He thought for a second. "I don't mind showing you a few pointers from time to time. Alright, that's me then." He stepped back into the line.

The second was slim and athletic looking. "I'm Purswel Fowley, Your advance spell instructor, I'll also be helping you to get used to your token's." He stepped back.

The third was the second largest and displayed a sword over his left shoulder. "I am George Humes." He was the only white person on the porch. "I'm a volunteer from the special forces, and I'll be your training instructor." he pulled his sword out. A thin blade, only an inch wide, but sharp, on both sides. He showed it to them and placed it back. 

"No one's interested in your sword..." The fourth spoke, obviously, he wasn't the type to think before he talked.

The grass from the fence to the top of the hill all fell at once. Even around where the group stood.

"You're up." George Humes stepped back in line.

The whole group chuckled and murmured below. Froyd and the man met eyes as he laughed. As he stepped forward, the man stared daggers at Froyd.

Froyd whispered. "Shit."

0