Vol. 2 – Chapter 45  – The Drunkard Adventurers
748 0 35
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vol. 2 - Chapter 45  - The Drunkard Adventurers


Mathias who returned home, dealt with menial tasks he should complete whenever returning home, afterwards without even checking his mails or spending some time online, that he reconnected inside the game.

Slowly following the loading sequence, his vision was brought back to Fayrene's main room salon, in a serene atmosphere for his mind especially after training at the gym.

Looking around himself in the room, he could see Fayrene back at the workstation working on one of the projects she mentioned for a girl that had an event to attend but didn't have the right clothes to appear presentable.

Not even entering inside the game with all his feet, that Fayrene, who was sewing, noticed his appearance with the system and without expecting a private message, she told him.

@Fayrene: Welcome back love. Don't forget what we talked about last time.

"Why are you using that instead of talking with me directly? Are you shy?" asked Mathias who walked closer to her, placing his hand on her waist, and taking a peek at her face.

"I want to get used to using that ability, only by training will I be able to do that. Aren't you my little guinea piggy, who give his word that he would help me with my studies?" remarked Fayrene, before throwing that question at Mathias in a cheeky way as she continued sewing.

With a sneaky smile, he kissed her neck which tickled her, before mentioning calmly.

"This isn't nice, being called a piggy doesn't fit my tests. Anyway, we will work on that for as much as you want, dear. For example when I am away, there's no reason to consume your thoughts on controlling that typing feature. We got a lot of time on our hands so you will see how smooth you will be turned into someone like me."

"Mat, I was playing around yesterday when you weren't home with that curse, and entered a weird thing called Ranking System with a lot of names being presented in that old list, but I can't spot you there even though I can see your "Level" is higher than most of the names I see on the list.

That remark from Fayrene made him hum, as he watched from her side the way she was sewing on the dress in question in a serene way, where he mentioned to her in a joking way,

"You too aren't far from reaching the top, since you are level 25, but it is something I don't suggest because of all sorts of complications that will come after it."

"What could happen?"

"Random people will message you, with all sort of attempts at grabbing some words out of you. Also, from my perspective, it is annoying dealing with so many people constantly wanting your attention."

"I see, then forget it, is not so interesting. Besides, how was your day?" asked Fayrene after keeping in mind what Mathias said

"My day? Slightly tired but now I am recharging myself sitting like this." said Mathias who rested his head on Fayrene's shoulder in a gentle way, without placing all his weight on it, balancing his weight to be as careful with her.

She placed down her needle and touched and caressed Mathias cheeks, and as she turned he gave her a kiss, and later went to the kitchen to prepare something to drink.

"Mat, you really should go, I don't want to make Jeanne feel bad by holding you with me right now. Just this cup of tea, okay?"

Seated down beside the fireplace as he watched the water boiling, while also gazing at Fayrene who made herself busy in the kitchen, cleaning some vegetables with the intent of cooking something fresh for Mathias.

"Understood, my dear. It wasn't my intent to neglect Jeanne. After I finish the cup of tea, I will be off. Right, where is Vek, I haven't seen him inside the salon." responded Mathias to Fayrene's request in a calm way, before inquiring about the young kobold.

"He is outside in the courtyard. I don't know what he is doing, maybe he went out to look around. I told him to stay put and wait for you, but he didn't listen and chose to go out. I was even curious to find out more about him, but I can't force him."

"Don't worry Fay, that kobold will not vanish anywhere."

As the couple were waiting for the tea to be done infusing, they didn't waste time and instead started talking about random things, especially targeting the system which was a mystery box for Fayrene even after Mathias explained to her the general framework.

Fayrene, when Mathias asked if she had remaining questions and uncertainties with the system nodded her head, but with an amused tone she told him.

"There's so many things I want to ask, especially on that bag you use. I have no idea how to use it, or if I have it. Hah, I will stop here dear, otherwise we will talk hours upon hours and it wouldn't be fair to Jeanne.

"Note down somewhere your questions and when I come back, we'll see how I can be of service." said Mathias as he took his black hat from his inventory, and bowed with it like a magician doing tricks.

Fayrene noticed how magical the hat appeared in his hands and couldn't help but be fascinated.

Once Mathias finished drinking the cup of tea, he bid farewell to Fayrene temporarily, and taking his butt from her house, he stared at the courtyard where no one was around.

'Strange, where could that kobold be?' thought Mathias when he exited the house, looking left and right for a sign.

The old ghost inside the ring bound to him, something he couldn't even unequip, gave his thought after being silent his entire interaction with Fayrene.

{Kobolds are curious creatures by nature, it is normal he wouldn't resist the desire to explore around.}

'Ohh, old Haycien, it seems you are awake. I thought something was off since you were quiet since I returned.'

{Lad, I don't know what trickery those Gods have done to me, but since you went to your world, I couldn't see anything, it was blank, darkness with some dim lights all around me. Gladly I was inside the inner pocket of the ring, and I didn't suffer some unthinkable backlash.} told Haycien seeming to hold quite the happening since he logged out.

'Darkness and dim lights? As if you were in a room-like space?'

{Yes, it felt like a room. You know something about that, lad?]

'I do. That's the place my people would enter after we go to our world. It shouldn't place you in danger, at least this is what I believe.'

{Lad, is not that I am fearful of something since I passed the torch, but sticking around, and watching the progress since my era, would be interesting. There's also your kind here which will bring more chaos to the world. I like that.}

'That's something which will happen at one point, but not now. My people and I are still too weak to mark our presence on the world stage.'

As he was talking with Haycien, he took on a walk, strolling toward the fountain of the district, where no one was around.

'He is not here.'

{Lad, don't you have that system thing? Use it to search the kobold, if he is around.}

'Right, he is still at my party, I can check the map and see where he is.' said Mathias after being reminded by Haycien that he could use the party features to check Vek's location which was instantly found.

It was an unexplored part of the city as it is shown in the map, but in fact it was a location he knew about, that being the <Raven's Tavern>. The slight discomfort of not knowing where Vek went was removed, and to make sure he was okay, he opted to visit the place again and buy some drinks for the drunkards.

{Wow, such a big heart. Why do you wish to buy them alcohol?}

'Come on, old Haycien, making friends in different places is always good, especially when you encounter the immortals. Those guys are always at the pub, regardless if it is day or night, they will pick up on all sorts of news.'

{I get it. Wait, immortals?}

'Not in that way, that's how I like to mock them, since they are always at the pub, as if they don't have homes.'

{Ahh, they might be beggars who knows.}

Still talking with Haycien, he quieted down as he walked down the alley of this zone of the city that was still bustling as he remembered it be. The scenery was one of a strong community, where they lived their lives day by day. The inhabitants of the periphery compared to the inner city were wearing simple clothing and even rugs.

Keeping everything to himself and not disturbing anyone, Mathias spotted the familiar two stories high building where his journey also shifted in a certain direction, that had a crow's head on the building's front placard, along with the nameplate of [Raven's Tavern].

[Once you enter 'Raven's Tavern' you will have to respect the rules imposed by Innkeeper Edmon.]

Reading that notification, he cleared it out and before even stepping inside he could hear the laughter and the drunkards discussing with fervor a certain subject.

"Piss off, let me talk with the weird creature. Boy, what booze do your people produce, it is like the Dwarfs?"

"Fucker, let me do the talking, can't you see you are wasted and can only think of more booze?"

Entering the tavern he was assaulted by the smell of alcohol, just like in the real world, and a loud atmosphere that buzzed in his ears. All the tables of the pub, with the counter of the bar included, were occupied with the "Immortals" residing there, encircling a small creature who looked nervous in those moments.

Innkeeper Edmon was still there, doing business, and at that moment was looking rather low on the draconian creature with wings tucked behind its back, who was assaulted by the drunkard's questions relentlessly.

"What's wrong little creature, we aren't going to eat you." told another drunkard who noticed Vek was silent in those moments.

"Wasn't that the other way around?"

.

"Now, now, guys, get lost and leave my new customer alone. It is rare for new people to come to my tavern, except to those poor outlanders who are worse then beggars." commented the Innkeeper who punched two of the drunkards in the face, pushing them from Vek in a joking manner.

Nevertheless, Vek and Edmon heard the arrival of the newcomer and turned to meet who it was, a man that had a black hat with crimson hair tied down in a bun, ruby eyes that were noticeable from the mask he was wearing, and an immaculate black suit making the drunkards sharpen their drunk eyes on Mathias, as if their stupor was just a lie.

"Welcome, to my establishment, dear guest." said Edmon who couldn't tell if the newcomer was an outlander or some rich person from the Inner City.

Mathias who heard the innkeeper warm greeting, turned his head around the tavern to check if Corvus was there, and he didn't miss out from his field of view, being headfirst inside a large alcohol jug and probably sleeping soundly after a heavy drinking, only afterward did he greet the innkeeper respectfully and later getting toward Vek.

"There you were, why didn't you tell me something before leaving?"

"I didn't want to disturb the mistress, so I went out to look around this place. Sorry if I troubled you." explained Vek later on apologizing, to which Mathias just shrugged his shoulders, patting his head.

"It is fine, just be careful of the shady people."

"Like the humans next to me?" inquired Vek who turned his head to look at the drunkards, who felt offended and wanted to lash out.

"No, they are fine people. They will not harm you, especially if you give them some booze. Here, this is from me, take care of my familiar. Innkeeper, will this suffice for those 6 to drink until they pass out?"

Edmon, who heard Mathias rhetorical question, and saw him pull off 20 gold coins looked surprised at this generous patronage, and most people in the tavern turned their attention to Mathias as if they saw their treasure trove.

"Young master, why would you do such a gesture?" asked one of the drunkards who saw Mathias pull of 10 gold coins, and placing them to Edmon.

"Why not? Haven't I told you to watch over my familiar?"

"That creature is your familiar? I thought it was some of the foreigner of the Empire who were sent to have an audience with the Imperial House." asked the same drunkard who surprisingly had a level 175, and a silver nameplate.

"Indeed. Thanks in advance." said Mathias in a calm voice, as he gazed at the drunkard [Achelm Katein] who gazed sharply at him, where he could only see his ruby eyes and a red aura that was like a small veil.

{Kid, in order to not release your Red Energy you have to think about keeping it inside of you, is like inhaling air in a calm way, and you will have to keep that state of calmness until you master the usage of the Red Energy to a basic stage.}

Mathias who asked in the meantime he talked with the innkeeper and the drunkards he knew were the big deal, but who chose to remain in anonymity and drink themselves to death, received his instructions and rapidly acted on them, masking his breathing with the mask he was wearing.

Achelm who saw that red aura for a moment saw it disappear, which made him ponder while the other drunkards also gazed at Mathias.

'An interesting power. I feel I've seen it somewhere, but I can't remember where. Hah, I can't remember where I saw this type of aura.'

Accepting the gesture without much fuss, Achelm even patted Vek's shoulder as if to assure they had him covered, and with Mathias about to finish his business inside the tavern, he last gave Edmon a bottle of wine which made Vek curious what he wanted to do with the bottle Elder Morlk gifted him.

"Innkeeper, can you give this bottle of wine to that friend sleeping at the back?"

The drunkards looked at him surprised, but didn't say anything, while Edmon took the bottle and placed it away, nodding at Mathias.

"Do you want to give a name in case that person likes the content in this bottle and asks around the people?"

"My name is Mathias. Take care and enjoy yourself. Vek don't make trouble for the sirs, and you can ask them around for your dream."

Vek turned to see Mathias leave the tavern leaving him alone with the humans who shifted their approach with him, with Achelm and Rolic being the ones curious to find what the young kobold wanted to achieve, and when they found he wanted to become an adventurer, they reacted as if one of their compatriots returned home.

"Little one, we got you covered. Tell me, are you serious about adventuring around? It will not be a problem for us to introduce you to the leader of the Adventuring Guild and register you as a member."

"This, I don't know what to say, I need to ask Mathias and hear his opinion."

"I see, then we will wait. Right, little one, why is your friend wearing a mask, is his face scarred or something?"

"No, he just hates it when people stare at him for some reason." replied Vek not thinking much about this question and responding with what he thought was the answer.

The drunkard took a large mouthful of beer that Edmon placed on the table with the money given by Mathias, and thought to himself the reason why Mathias was wearing his mask inside the Wallmort District if he wasn't some sketchy person who wanted to do some harm in the city.

In the meantime, Edmon placed the wine bottle on Corvus table, without disturbing the middle-aged man from his sleep, returning back to his counter to serve the drunkards who talked with Vek about all sort of things, from monsters to fights, showing great knowledge on those subjects which made the young kobold ask.

"How do you guys know so much about monsters?"

"That's because we are retired adventurers."

35