Vol. 2 – Chapter 11 – The Old Herbalist
810 1 39
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vol. 2 - Chapter 11 - The Old Herbalist


Once again returning to the same spot after dying, that being the entrance to the Cidarian Village, Mathias could only pour cold water on his head to calm himself, and start moving on from the respawning place where he felt the glares of the players that weren't expecting someone wearing clothes like him to appear in this first starting zone.

"Hey, could that person be a ranker?"

"With such items, he should be someone of level 15 or 20 like that guy Kraugel."

"I wonder how he managed to get his hands on those items? They are for sure of a rare quality."

"He is a whale. I am sure about it."

"Wait, that guild name tag, 'Leviathan' where have I seen it before?"

"That's what's next to Red's name."

.

Hearing the conversation of those starting players who were checking the level ranking in order to look at Red, who was level 17 and being in the top 10, making a positive representation for his guild, but in those moments, it was troublesome for him because of possible conflicts of interest with those players.

'Red, ohh, James, this is good advertisement, but don't drag me into unnecessary talks with those people. I don't want to be a public figure, at least not now. Otherwise, how will I be able to explore cities, zones, hunting grounds, kingdoms, if I am constrained by people wishing to talk with me?'

Activating 'Raven's Movement' with a speed higher than those starting players, he disappeared from their view, appearing inside the village with the intent of changing his clothes in something Jasmine gave him from Charles. However, before changing into the casual clothes, he cast 'Arcane Intellect' and using his available 10 stat points from the level up, he verified how his character stats looked.

.

.

[Status Window]

Name : Mathias  /  Class :Beginner

Level : 10 (1600/7100)  / Title : Farmer's Son / Item Creator

Health : 930/930  / Mana: 1560/1560

.

Strength : 70  / Stamina : 52

Agility : 41 / Intelligence: 530 / Dexterity: 196

STAT POINTS: 0

.

.

"Overall, it looks like I am carried by the items. But from my level it really doesn't feel like it. It has been about one week since the game started, and I am only level 10 after actually trying to level up."

Changing himself in the casual clothes he received from Jasmine, which were of a good quality that could be described as equipment for the starting players, he walked the main street of the village, greeting some villagers.

.

****************************

[Elegant Cidarian Shirt]

Rating: Rare

Durability 150/150  Defense: 40

* Intelligence increased by 20

This is a work made by Master Tailor Jasmine Arundell for her husband Charles. It is something of a clean style used for going in the city or at events. It uses normal silk fabrics that don't imbue the clothes piece with any magical effects. The wearer of this benefits from the craftsmanship of Jasmine and some people of Grenhaler and Duchy of Grenhal might recognize this style.

.

Condition of Use: None

Weight: 140

************************************

[Elegant Cidarian Breeches]

Rate: Rare

Durability: 150/150 Defense: 40

*  Intelligence increased by 20

Condition of Use: None

Weight: 125

********************************

.

As he was being kind to all the villagers, and walking toward the Arundell estate, to recover from his strenuous mental activity, he opened the guild interface, where he could see some activity in the chat with two new members added today.

.

[Mathias (Lv. 10) - GM

Red (Lv. 17) - Officer

Malakai (Lv. 12) - Officer

Leona (Lv. 8) - Officer

Maple Mist (Lv. 12) - Officer

.

Evan (Lv. 14)

Lane (Lv. 14)

.

@Mathias: Seems I am late to welcome the new members of the guild. Welcome, Evan, Lane.

@Lane: Thanks a lot. I'll try not to make too much commotion in the chat.

@Evan: So you are the guild master? Red talked about you while hunting. Are you up to some PVP after we meet in Titan?

@Red: Hey guys, can you not give me away? Yoo, Mathias, those two are the ones I teamed up to hunt while in Dewars Region. They are good guys and also hard-working, visible from their level.

@Marhias: "I see. To respond to Evan, whenever I am available, I can play around if you wish. Moving back to what Red just said, I don't have any problem with the newcomers, as long as the simple rules I've written at the guild information are respected. Everyone is welcomed to Leviathan, so invite your friends to the guild."

Talking around with the newcomers, and also checking out with the rest, Maple, Malakai, Leona, especially with Leonor who would ask him about certain aspects of the game.

@Leona: I got a quest from an old person, here let me link it to you. <Reach Judar's Cathedral>. It was something I gained after I helped him with some chores, and he mentioned about having an old friend inside Judar's Church.

@Mathias: Good for you Leonor, joining one of the main churches of this world would benefit whoever joins since there are unique quests, and events to partake in. I can tell you from experience since I was a half-member of the Rebecca Church.

@Leona: That's something I heard from the forum too, but the journey is quite long since I am inside Fullbaz Region.

@Mathias: No, not really, you are close to the Church, but now it depends on which part of Fullbaz you have spawned. I will send you an image with the map of the Saharan Empire in a while. This will for sure help you.

.

Putting a hold to his conversation with the guild members, and entering Arundell's family courtyard, later the house, he gave Jasmine the goods he gained from his hunt, before walking down the studio with her.

"Mother, there's something I want to tell you, this is why I asked for you to follow me to the studio."

"Yes, dear? What is on your mind?"

"I really don't know where to start, and how to make it seem like I am not telling a horror story. But, from my adventure inside the forest, aside from the wild beasts that have been lowered in number, there's one major problem haunting me."

"There's some spider monster in an underground tunnel right in the center of the forest, and I had my own fair share of trouble with those monsters. That's the place I just returned from after being sent off by the monster commanding that tunnel."

"Spiders?"

"Indeed, mother, lots of spiders. I made a deal with that 'Spider Queen' before being sent away, she will not attack this village as long as no one is bothering her."

Describing to her, his experience in the instance, the monsters he encountered, and some parts of his fight, she also managed to make an image of where Mathias's abilities were sitting when she heard how he dealt with those monsters using his magic and Spearmanship.

"If I was capable enough I could have hunted that spider monstrosity, but I am too weak right now. I will no longer disturb that place, but if by chance that monster doesn't keep to her word and there are signs of chaos with monsters invading, I want you to evacuate immediately and keep yourself and the family safe."

"That's a lot of information to digest, Mathias. Does anyone else know about this besides the two of us?" asked Jasmine, starting to put in order the information Mathias told her.

"Just the two of us."

"Don't tell anyone else. Not to Charles, not to Theo and Aendyr, or to the Elder. No one.

The smaller the number of people knowing the secret, the better, because once people find out there's a danger lurking behind their back they will start acting, and disturbing that creature. If that creature told you to stop disturbing it and sending the message of not wanting to hurt the village I will take it as a guarantee. A half one at least because we can't put our trust in monsters."

"I can agree with your plan, but I still worry about your guys' safety. I might sound selfish, but I will not be able to face Fayrene if by chance we return to Cidarian and stumble on the fact that the spider monster didn't keep to her word."

"Don't worry, son. If things turn for worse, I will have everyone move to Grenhaler and notify the Duke about the events taking place in Cidarian."

Nodding at what he heard while relaxing himself a bit, he asked Jasmine if he could draw something on her work table to which the lady gave him the okay, even joking about the fact he didn't have to constantly ask for her confirmation.

Chuckling a bit, he started drawing a map that looked quite elementary, but soon it started turning more detailed, having some mountains, and rivers on it, along with major cities and all of the regions.

"Could this map be?"

"Indeed, this is the Saharan Empire, something I copied from a map of the Empire I saw inside the house of a friend. I will need this to guide myself around the regions I will explore in the future before settling down."

"Ohh, your kind really likes to adventure around. There have been some youngsters who asked me if I had any problems, or needed some help with chores, cutting logs, and so on. It almost made me chuckle seeing them so persistent in having me giving them some tasks."

"You actually encountered the good ones. That's us, constantly wishing to adventure around, and help the people of this world, unlike what some people fear about us, bringing chaos and destruction to their lands."

.

Taking a capture of the map after he finished placing the final touches, he uploaded it on the guild chat for everyone to use it, something everyone received as some sort of blessing.

@Malakai: I finally know where I am, thank you, brother."

@Mathias: Where are you at?

@Malakai: Moroiz Region (Duke Morse Territory), quite close to Titan.

@Leona: Ahhh, I am close to my quest target. Who would have expected this? (She is in Fullbaz Region governed by the Marquis)

@Maple Mist: Ohh no, I am in Gelder Region (Duke Rigal Territory) my journey to Titan will take me more than I expected.

@Red: A good addition, I will not ask you how you got your hands on such a detailed map, because you are full of secrets.

.

.

Moving away from the guild chat, and returning his attention to Jasmine, he informed her with a calm expression that turned slightly sour.

"Mother, I will not stay for long in Cidarian. There's one more thing I have to take care of one of things being the bandits in the mountain, and after that, I will make another stop to the village to inform the Elder before I take on Titan. Fayrene is for sure worrying about me at home."

"That's right, while I might wish to have you here for a longer period of time since having an elder son gives me a new experience, my darling might get hurt if she waits for far too long. You have been here for about two weeks. Plenty of time, I should add. We don't need you to do our chores, son. Be at ease, especially with the monsters in the forest. It will be fine."

Sighing, agreeing with Jasmine, he didn't linger too much in the Arundell house, choosing to focus on the quests and reunite faster with Fayrene and Jeanne.

Thus with a change of plan, shortening his stay with the Arundell's, while he was telling Jasmine some of his constraints about requiring some potions to heal himself, she instantly reacted.

"Stop right there, you need healing potions?"

"It is optional, I just asked you if you knew about such a place that sells potions of any kind in the village."

"There's Granny Olga who is an herbalist."

"Ohh, that's great news, can you tell me where she lives, I will make her a visit."

"No need, I will take you myself since it's been a while since my last visit to her. She has done so many things for me that it makes me feel like a cheap person for not checking on her too often. So you know she was the midwife for all my children."

.

.

Like this, the duo of mother and son exited the house and moved to another part of the village, where a lot of weeds and plants were overgrowing the pathway to a certain house that looked slightly rundown.

Following Jasmine, who knocked on the door of this specific house, he heard the voice of an old woman who could be said to be annoyed by their visit.

"Damned kids with their stupid requests and damn all those villagers who told those crazed kids I am an herbalist."

"Granny Olga it is me Jasmine."

"Ahhh, I take my words back, let me open the door since I sealed it from fear those crazy kids would force me to make them their potions."

Moments later, Mathias could see for himself the old lady with a silver nameplate, called Olga. She was your average old woman, walking using a cane, she had gray hair and wrinkles on her face.

"Girl, what is this, did you get forced by that outlander to have me cooperate?" asked the old woman looking vigilantly at Mathias behind Jasmine, who was surprised by this cold response from an NPC he did nothing to wrong it.

Jasmine quickly dismissed this notion, placing her hand on Mathias' shoulder and tapping it, saying with a confident voice to the old woman.

"This is my son-in-law, Mathias. He is unlike those youngsters who arrived in Cidarian, instead if you spend time with him, you will find out what a darling he is."

*Cough* Mathias turned slightly embarrassed, but he kept his front stable, looking calmly at the old woman.

"You didn't get forced?"

"No, granny. Can we enter your house?"

"... You..., outlander, you better don't touch anything once you arrive. My plants have already been stolen by those ingrates. Damn them all, I had some plants growing for two years, yet those little bastards picked them up without a care in the world." said the old woman, after a long break where she observed Mathias reactions.

She still continued to observe Mathias even after she ended saying that, and could notice that Mathias shook his head, sighing, before changing his facial expression into one of displeasure.

"My apologies to what my brethren have done to you madam."

"Hah? Why apologize for what some little bastards did? Whatever. Jasmine, that doll of yours found quite the weird man."

Jasmine could only laugh it off, entering the house, following the old woman, with Mathias entering last, and also who closed the door. Shortly after, he found himself stepping inside the main room of the house where the smell of medicinal plants hit his nostrils, with the mint being predominant along with other citric smells.

"Tell me little girl, why have you come to visit me?"

"Besides, reminiscing about the past, I also brought my son because he wanted to buy some of your potions. I brought him myself because I know you don't like people from outside who visit the village. Now, I can imagine what you went by with the apparition of Mathias's brethren."

"..."

Keeping her quiet, as she gave Jasmine a displeased look, before turning to gaze coldly at Mathias, she returned back to Jasmine and slowly her gaze warmed up, telling her.

"I get it. Let me deal with this brat before talking. Kid, I only have three types of potions available, healing, mana, and strength potion.

"All of them would be fine."

"I see, but I doubt you need all the potions I have or do you have the money. So listen here brat, I will offer you 20 Health Potions, 20 Mana Potions, and 5 Strength Potions. Everything would cost you 1500 silver coins. A fair price, that will not cheat you, or myself."

Hearing that price, he took a look at his inventory bag that only had almost 2 gold coins, he nodded, taking out one gold coin and 500 silver coins that he gave the old woman.

The old woman was slightly surprised by the prompt response, which meant he didn't doubt her prices. Thus she went to another room, leaving Jasmine and Mathias in her main room, later appearing with a bag filled with something that Mathias found out only after Olga opened it for him to see.

"Number them. I don't want to hear that you got cheated."

Grabbing the bag, he drag it into his inventory, making the potions and bag disappear from Olga's face, giving her another surprise.

"This is how my plants were stolen?"

"Mostlikely." responded Mathias, and he opened his inventory where 3 new items were sitting behind the messy goods lingering there.

"All is good, madam. I will no longer disturb you. Mother, we will meet again after I am finished with my problems."

"Take care son."

Giving Jasmine a warm smile as he waved his hand at her, he walked out of the Herbalist House, while doing his checks on the potions which were slightly off compared to the ones from Titan.

.

[Weak Health Potion]

This is a potion that has been formulated with five or more herbs.

Restores 650 health.

The cooldown time is 5 seconds.

Weight: 9

.

[Weak Mana Potion]

This is a potion that has been formulated with three mana energized herbs or more herbs.

Restores 400 mana.

The cooldown time is 5 seconds.

.

[Weak Strength Potion]

It is a potion prepared by blending a small amount of ogre's blood with different types of herbs.

Increases your strength by 50 points for 10 minutes.

There is no cooldown time.

Weight: 31

.

.

"This granny potions are stronger than the ones from Titan one could buy in the stores. I only get 50 strength when using that potion for about 10 minutes, which sounds decent for maybe 100 silver coins. What's next? Dealing with the mountain bandits. My items are in decent condition, however some repairs to Ragnius can do wonders."

Adding that, he opened his map which contained the basic utilities the village had to offer after discovering them from Jasmine and Charles,  and after marking his destination, he walked passing over players and villagers alike, until he reached a small workshop that was giving off smokes from its forge.

*Knock* *Knock*

"Enter, it is open." said someone who from his voice seemed to be a middle-aged person.

Entering the workshop, where he was met by a raised temperature, he saw a middle-aged man with grey and black hair beside his forge hitting some hot metal.

"What do you want, kid?"

"Sir, do you by chance also repair weapons?"

"Aye, I can also do that, but as you can see I am a bit busy. Maybe after 15 minutes can we talk again?"

"Understood, do you mind if I stay inside your shop?"

"I see no harm in that if you can deal with the heat." responded the blacksmith in a casual manner, to which Mathias walked towards a chair, and instead of staying on the chair, he brought out some sheets of paper, a quill, and inkwell, using it as a table to write something while he was on his knees.

'What a weird outlander, he didn't ask a single thing about swords or daggers, only wanting to have his weapon repaired. I'll see what you've got in a couple of minutes after this metal bar has cooled down since it would be a waste to stop working on it while it is hot.'

39