Vol. 2 – Chapter 55 – The Malignant Saints
752 1 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vol. 2 – Chapter 55 – The Malignant Saints

.

.

.

Taking his time to spend with both Fayrene and Jeanne, he left them to his daily training, inside the courtyard, where one could see some made-up boxing bags, even some target practice that had arrows sticking from the body, with the courtyard transforming into a mancave, full of wood equipment and dummies.

It felt as if he was preparing for war, but was he?

Reaching the dummy he tapped it before unleashing a nasty elbow that had all the wood release a cracking sound.

{Is your blood going hot after messing around with your ladies?} asked Haycien when he noticed Mathias deliver that strong hit to the wooden dummy.

Withdrawing from the dummy, he said in a calm, casual voice, as if he didn't really mind the question.

'Not really. I just felt like throwing that elbow, since I eat an elbow right in my face at the sparring session that even right now it hurts me. This was just me destress a bit, aside from doing the tailoring projects.'

{Ohh, some bastard picked on you, outside? But I don't sense any bruise or wounds on your body.}

'I also have no idea why. Regardless, it is a controlled fight, not something to fuss about. Like how you would spar with your friends, I also do such a thing, but with my fists, legs, and in general, body.'

{What was that called, again?}

'MMA. The abbreviation of the discipline, Mixed Martial Arts.'

{Yeah, that is an interesting concept. What do you say, little Mathias, how would my fist techniques do if you would combine it with that mixed martial art?}

Walking toward a part of the courtyard, he got in a crossed leg position, then later took out a lot of linen white bandages that he began wrapping around his hands, giving them protection to unwanted, and unnecessary damage. Simultaneously, he was pondering about the techniques Haycien told him he knew, yet not learning them at all for being too hard to comprehend without an example in his eyes.

'Hah, it is hard, old Haycien, I can't comprehend your fighting style at all. The training you've shared with me, I can do it, but not the techniques. For whatever reason I can't wrap my head around. Your 'Spirit-Crushing Fist' if I am not mistaken is similar to a karate technique, but once again there's more abbreviations and techniques that differ. It might be something even more ancient, thus I need to study my land history, maybe I will at one point understand it.'

{What about the 'Phantom Step'?} inquired Haycien feeling quite down after hearing that Mathias still didn't understand his techniques just by doing it verbally.

'Those ones, I have about 20% of the activation, but the way it works is unlike my Raven's Movement. My muscles always spasm after trying that technique of yours, and I have to stay sit for hours.'

'What's more? My stamina depletes as if it's devoured by some monster. Whose fault do you think I had to spend more time sewing rather than training?'

{And is my fault you are stupid? This great me tries to selflessly pass on all his fighting knowledge, to make you into the strongest person of his generation, but you brat simply want to sew.}

'Old man, I have my own limits that once I overpass, I get in this mess. Once my stamina is depleted, I can only sit down and wait patiently to recover. You wouldn't understand it, but it's frustrating, as frustrating as when you got trapped in the roots of the Nourishing Oak.'

{Fine, let's not blame one another. I am too mature for quarreling with someone that could be my grand-grand and many other grandchildren. I'll see what you do for now, at least the training is useful to you.}

'I am still getting my ass handed in the gym, but I can see progress, so I will not stop anytime soon.' mentioned Mathias releasing his frustration from being bound to the stamina system once again.

Thus as he was waiting for the stamina to replenish, he started reminiscing about how in the past he had to wait like this whenever he was training because of his limitations. A line of thought got more spotlight in his mind, and from curiosity he asked his old partner.

'Say, old Haycien, should I go pray a bit to Rebecca to solve my stamina problems? It worked in the past quite well, as such my speed will be faster in training.'

{Heck no! You'll be cursed for sure, just drop it. Wait for your energy to recover, and do the training without needing to be entangled in her games of interests and power plays. She is a sore loser, and will do everything in her power to see you fail.}

'I mean, in the past I even saw a vision of her when I prayed for some blessings. She quite the virgin beauty type. I know the Archimage refers to the gods, as his enemy, and it seems even you got your fair share of hostility with some of them, but you can't take away the fact she has the potential of allowing me to climb the ladder faster.'

{I'll rather have you use Zik, and dry him rather than that bitch. She is really unpredictable, while Zik, I can say I know him the best, especially his personality.} said Haycien, trying to make it sound, that using Zik, someone he still didn't know who could be, can be a better choice of assistance in climbing the ladder.

{Still, that guy is manipulative so we should be careful. Maybe approach him after you grow stronger, and could at least resist his deception skills.}

'I wouldn't even be bothered right now. But for the love of God, can you at least tell me who this Zik is? You always make it sound as if this person is a bastard who cheated you, so it should be someone important, am I right?'

{Sigh, and when I thought you would leave me alone. You had to be curious and sniff around, openings. Sure, I will tell you who this bastard is, and maybe it will also open your eyes a bit about how deep the history of this world truly is.}

*Sniff* 'What can I say, I am delicate with those small details left untouched.'

{Sometimes it is better you weren't. Ahh, from where to start? I will start with a question first. Lad, what do you think about past civilizations, do you believe in such a notion?}

'Yea. There's nothing to scoff about it.'

{Good, then what I will tell you next will be slightly shocking, but from my understanding, the world has suffered from the wrath of the gods once, which brought upon the destruction of the world. However, before that happened the world, created by the Gods, was the same as ours. Humans, elves, all sort of races lived in harmony there, with the Gods actually being magnanimous as to guide those inhabitants.}

{There wasn't an over the top influence, with the Gods only giving the people just the necessities, your average farming tool, methods of agriculture, basic magic, and so on. The gods got satisfied by the power of faith given by the inhabitants, and as such they devised a plan to take on more of this faith, which was on making all the humans and variant races to solely pray on the main deities of Asgard.}

{Yet the humans seemed to be more numerous than the Elves, and their faith power stronger. Therefore, to have more leverage over the humans, the gods of Asgard have chosen 7 talented humans to be blessed with some of their powers, binding them and their fate to the same Gods who blessed them. With an example made from those tangible to the people, everyone began showering the gods with their fate, seeing the deeds done by the Chosen Saints. This was their name, the Saints. The Avatars of the Gods on Earth.}

Mathias was listening quietly to this story, with great attention as to not miss even the smallest detail, and slightly some of the information given by Haycien matched with what information he had from the Ancient Tome, with obvious bias since the Archmage was an elf.

Nevertheless, the story of Haycien got the the point where the Saints, have saw on the schemes of the gods, and their facade and indifference to mankind 's suffering and imperfections. The wars still didn't stop, the plagues and famine didn't stop, the natural calamities not even a slightest. Mathias could only think that this revelation felt like a cold shower on a frigid day, or being submerged into the depths of the ocean where you could feel the pressure crushing on you.

With time, even his Stamina recovered, but he didn't budge from where he was sitting, listening to Haycien's story who explained to him about the Seven Saints, and how their war began, taking the Gods by surprise when they attacked the Asgard. Those were some details Mathias had no idea, since the Archmage didn't bother himself to register the inside information of the conflict, but to his satisfaction and appreciation for a good story, Haycien had some jaw opening infornation, but this too stopped all of a sudden when the old man turned silent.

'What's wrong old Haycien? Did you forget the tale?' thought Mathias immediately afterward, feeling with a hole in his stomach without a continuation.

{I don't know more information apart from what I have told you, but let's say the war was nasty for both sides, but in the end the Saints were defeated by the superior Gods. Such as Zeratul, Judar, Dominion and as an act of revenge the gods destroyed the civilization built by the Saints.}

{Now that I am done with this story, let me tell you another perspective of this story told inside my tribe, after who knows how many years have passed since that war with the Saints for the people's freedom of choice and faith. Those same saints I have learned in my youth as being one of the evilest people of mankind, who brought the God's fury upon us, they who have spit in the face of the gods, burning with the desire of becoming gods themselves after tasting the fragments of the God's Gifts.}

{The Seven Saints of Humanity who fought for the humans salvation, have been recorded in history as The Evil, Seven Malignant Saints}

Mathias' brain was running at full capacity, making order of all the information he received, and also deleting the unnecessary information that would have accumulated inside his brain and take on space not required. Such, with his small silence from Haycien, he interjected and remarked in a slow, cold voice inside his mind.

'Such was the fate of those who could see but not react in time. With most of your story being stored in my head, I am inclined to even suggest that Zik of your past is one of those Saints who fought against the Gods, otherwise, how would you, some tribesman, be able to awaken your bloodline powers and be aware of such information without someone of that time telling you.'

{Sigh, kid, your calmness sometimes makes me worry about your safety. Ahem, to be specific, Zik or how he introduced himself first, Zikfrektor, is one of the Seven Malignant Saints, holding on to the Gods curse, the Sloth's Sin.}

In that quiet moment, after Haycien remarked about Zikfrektor's identity, the system's notification clamored inside his mind with a ring, followed by what Mathias interpreted as a confirmation of the fact he understood the story.

[Ding!]

[You are the first player to open the Episode: Seven Malignant Saints]

[The progression of the Episode has reached 5% after hearing the story of Red Emperor Haycien von Saharan who has an intermingled past with one of the Seven Malignant Saints, Sin of Sloth Zik.]

[Your intelligence has risen by 20]

[Your reputation has been increased by 10.000]

.

[The Sin of Sloth has sensed something, stopping from his never-ending studies, yet without taking long, he resumes his work.]

.

.

'No wonder, the Archmage was looking down on them, on those seven saints who got played by the Gods.'

'Old Haycien, let's leave the story at this point since I am too weak to even attempt at deceiving a plan for now. We will talk about it in the future, I am certain of it. What are the chances of running on Zikfrektor and him recognizing that I am your Successor?'

{If you don't release your Red Energy and keep your composure there is maybe a 5% he sniffs you out since when he actually tries that fucker is really scary. But because of his curse, the Curse of Sloth, he rarely even exits his residence, and only when he wants something would he exit. His residence is that weird-looking Palace in the opposite direction to my home.}

His system once again notified him about him connecting the pieces about who the mysterious Grandmaster of the Empire was, Zikfrektor, one of the Seven Malignant Saints, but without being bothered, he sorted this formation and placed it into the "future problems" sector of his mind.

With his stamina recovered, he started his training again, until night came, that he chose to stop, and glance around himself, only to find Vek close by watching him silently.

"For how long have you been there, little Vek?"

"I returned from outside the city where I went to explore around the Empar Forest and fight some wild beasts like you suggested. It took me more time to get access in the city because the guards had to check with the Adventurer Guild and confirm that I am indeed one of their members." remarked Vek who showed Mathias a bronze medallion with an engraving on it that was like a necklace for the young kobold.

It was one of the doings of Mathias and the drunken adventurers, who went to introduce Vek to the Adventurer Guild and give their recommendations for the kobold. He wasn't there because he didn't want to be seen by a lot of people, especially players who began joining the Adventurers like they were buying fresh bread.

However, he sorted it out with the former adventurers after placing some money in their pockets to assist Vek into his wishes, and walk him into the first steps of his path.

Still, curious about his day, Mathias asked Vek some simple things, as he took out a linen towel and started drying his sweat, after the drilling.

"Has all been good with the hunt?"

"Yea, I tried to not go overboard against the Owlbears who descended the Gravelmark Mountain and entered Empar Forest to search for prey. They were quite challenging enemies, but I managed to learn a lot from fighting those bears."

"Owlbears descended the mountain? I didn't expect this, but they might be prone since they aren't located deep in the mountain like the other dangerous monsters."

"Yes, I also gave the guild the trophies of the bears I hunted, gaining some contribution to the guild, and growing the amount of points I need to become a silver ranked adventurer."

"I see, do you know what benefits you can gain?"

"Yes, if I become a silver ranked, I am allowed to ask a Master of the Guild to teach me one of the techniques suitable for me, along with being allowed to buy artifacts cheaper, ahh, and I could also take on Quests attached on the Quest Board." mentioned Vek, remembering on the fly the benefits he could muster as an Adventurer.

"They sure are the Empire's Adventurer Guild. Not leaving out the enticement one bit."

Remarking that, he stayed for slightly more with Vek, talking casually about their day, and afterward he returned back inside the house, where both Fayrene and Jeanne were playing a board game, that was brought out by Mathias who carved each individual pieces and even the board, since the last one he did was removed by the reset.

"Fayrene, you really aren't merciful. Why make Jeanne suffer by playing against you?"

Hearing Mathias ask that, Jeanne chuckled while Fayrene frowned glancing at the crimson haired man who just returned home holding a towel in his hands as he stepped toward them. Getting at the table the two girls were playing he was shocked by what he saw, the whites from Jeanne sides were crushing the blacks controlled by Fayrene.

"Hmmm, hard spot you are in Fay."

"Arghh, did you teach Jeanne better than me or something? How does she know such, hard to counter openings?"

Looking at Jeanne as Fayrene inquired if he didn't contribute more than he was supposed to do, against her rival, not long after with the blonde girl taking a bishop in her fingers, she moved diagonally getting Fayrene's King in check.

"You are wrong, sister, Mat taught me probably the same amount, if not, he should have played more against you. From what I remember you always beat him in this game. However, once I showed this game to father, and explained to him the rules and how the game works, we played most of the time at the Cathedral since I recovered my memories."

"Still frustrating, even with Arcane Intellect you are beating me. Is the Archbishop really that good at chess?"

"Yea, he always beats me in a new way."

Fayrene tried her best to at least get a draw from this chess match, but Jeanne with her angelic smile that seemed to hold some cheekiness put an end to the match, check-mating her opponent.

Mathias let the girls contemplate on that match for a brief moment, before he gathered their attention, and entered a discussion session, about something that was on his mind.

"Girls, I think it is time to put in motion the plan for the Moonlight Workshop. In this one month we devised the plan, searched around the market, and our possible competitors. We have a big advantage of the funds from Elder Morlk, but those need to be changed into gold."

"Would it be troublesome for us if we take all those jewels to the pawn shops and sell them?" asked Fayrene, who felt an excitement that Mathias finally gave his green sign, but at the same time was worrying about the funds.

"If we go just the four of us to sell the jewels it will be dangerous, but for that I have an ace up my sleeves, and use my friends to convert those jewels into money."

"The ones you have told us about that you are waiting to arrive in Titan?" asked Jeanne curious, only to get a small nod for answer.

"They sure are slow to arrive here, but no problem, since they are away, it will be easier for the plan to begin."

"Okay, I will start bringing my sketchbooks, and pick up the simpler dress and clothes ideas. I will also try to search for possible candidates to work for the Workshop. Right, Mat, how long will it take for all those steps to be completed?"

Turning his head at Fayrene, Mathias put a pondering expression, where not too long after, told her calmly.

"If everything goes smoothly, about one month to set the new location for the Workshop. But we have to also search around possible locations to put the new workshop, and also equipment, and so on. It will be a hard month, especially that it should be the winter season right now."

"Indeed, I've noticed that the temperature dropped down a lot since last month." commented Fayrene, who still went on with her plans, while Jeanne remained sitting next to Mathias, relaxing her head on his shoulder.

At the same time, Mathias was on his guild chat, notifying all his guild members about his plan.

@Mathias: Guys, I need your help with something rather small, but at the same time sensitive.

The guild members who were online all of them reacted fast, with the addition of some members introduced by Orpheus and Ape Wine from their adventure inside Grenhaler, specifically 'Astromania' and 'PageUp' two amusing individuals for Mathias to read in the guild chat.

@Red: I smell something interesting that is about to happen. Bigger than the commotion I did.

@Maple Mist: Is something difficult?

Everyone had a say in this, but turned quiet once Mathias explained to them some small details about his plan, without giving off the main reason for doing what he was about to do, without steering the imagination of the guild members, he went to the pinpoint.

@Mathias: I will put on the Guild Storage some precious stones that I want you guys to sell in your specific locations. Why I am doing this, is because there are too many of them for just myself to sell without attracting the attention of unwanted people, thus you come along to rescue me.

@Red: I see, how much are we talking here?

@Mathias: I have rubies, diamonds, ambers, amethysts, sapphires, jade, and many other gemstones I have no clue what they are named or what their worth could be. Once again, I have a lot of them and this stops me from going to some jeweler and selling them, because is like placing a target on my back, regardless of how well I mask my movements.

The guild member's interest was picked instantly when Mathias did a list of the gemstones he recognized, and even the new guys agreed on helping Mathias with selling the gemstones, but Ape Wine asked a good question for that might have been considered but the rest.

@Ape Wine: Can we take some of the gold to assist us with our journey?

.

Mathias who was fondling with Jeanne's silky blonde hair, read in his mind that question, and after contemplating this, he sighed which attracted Jeanne's attention, before placing her at ease with a caress on the cheek.

@Mathias: You will have to tell me how much you sold the gemstone, and how much you want your cut to be, so I can consider it. Does it sound fair? Is not as if I want to make you work for free, thus it feels normal even for me if someone asked me such a request to consider a small part of the sum of money.

@Ape Wine: Understood. Thanks, this is all I wanted to hear. I will be around Grenhaler to pick up the gemstones.

@Mathias: I will assign to each person 10 gemstones, thus making it easier for each of you to solve this problem of mine without stirring up the attention of unwanted people. Take care until then, I will notify you when I will place the items on the Guild's Storage.

32