Vol. 2 – Chapter 57 – Casting a Bait.
620 1 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vol. 2 – Chapter 57 – Casting a Bait.

.

.

"My name is Octavian, Your Majesty." replied Mathias, in a calm way as he glanced at the woman next to his left side, while passing the bag of jewels that contained 12 gemstones towards the man, who quickly reacted by taking the bag and open it.

The mature lady switched her gaze at Hadrian and could see that his expression shifted a bit, into brewing some interest. She later had her own turn to take a look inside the delicate leather bag, with symbols ornating the bag all around.

'Ohh, there are Sapphires and Diamonds, those types are quite rare on the market. Even I couldn't get my hands on some type of gemstones, even with all my influence. Still, I can't tell if they are genuine or true.' thought the ink-black haired mature beauty, while taking one of the gemstones in her delicate hands.

After some minutes passed, both Marie and the Governor of the Imperial Bank, Hadrian, contemplated on the treasure trove Mathias has brought upon them.

"My Lady, if I may?" said Hadrian, glancing at Marie's hand that held the sapphire in a unique shape in her hand, admiring its beauty.

"Ohh, my, I got captured by this one. I might buy it for myself if it will not conflict with your Lord Hadrian. What price do you wish to get from this sapphire, Octavian?"

Mathias who ruby eyes barely drafted from the figure of this woman that had so many of the puzzle pieces he required to succeed in completing some of the important tasks he left unturned in the Beta Phase.

As such, he acted as charming and mysterious he could be, even though he didn't know the full value of the sapphire, his past encounter with the Jeweler in the Grand Market who gave him a brochure with the gemstones prices regulated by the market.

"My Lady, the offer for you is simple. How much are you willing to give me?"

Marie could feel the calmness in his voice, without any tremors, even though he had in front of her the Empress, it felt to her as if the masked man in front of her, treated her as some common woman. Intrigued by this, she started playing with the gemstone in her hand, and observed Mathias's ruby eyes for each second, she remained quiet.

"This gemstone is of a color to my tastes, the shape is also pleasant to the eye and could be the centerpiece for a necklace or bracelet. You don't want to give a price? Even if you might be on the losing end?"

"Not at all, I trust your judgment, my Lady. Regardless of price I am not losing since I have been graced by your elegant presence."

Marie when hearing Mathias comment, smiled a bit pleased by the warm tone of his voice, and still taking her time to register the appearance of this crimson haired man, she told him a price.

"How about 30.000 gold."

Hadrian who was checking on the rest of gemstones using his abilities as a jeweler, he even left a bit his chair to bring his equipment where he even took a glance at the sapphire in Marie's hands before she gave a response.

'You are really profiting over this man's bewitching. Well, from what it seems I will be having a big profit if he has no clue about the prices of what he brought, only that sapphire can reach 150.000 gold if sold to the right auction house.' thought Hadrian, watching Mathias reaction, and the pure looking smile Marie was giving, fully knowing it was fake.

"I see, I trust your judgment my lady. May this gemstone find a better home, and make your beauty radiate more than it is now." responded Mathias whose expression behind the mask was of a cold indifference.

On another hand, Marie felt some shame hitting her after Mathias agreed on her price, but while listening to his eulogy, she extended her slender white hand toward him, with the top of her hand toward Mathias, as if she was giving him full graces for the business she has managed to close.

Faced with this unexpected turn of events, it felt as if his first chess moves baited his opponent in playing with him, a game unknown where it would lead.

{Use your power on the lips. Trust me, she will feel it, making her spellbound. Just show your lower part of the face, it will make her burn with curiosity.} remarked Haycien from the sidelines, observing this game between Mathias and Marie.

Doing as Haycien suggested, with a stable control of his powers, he guided the energy to his face, and later specifically on a body part. Leaning his face toward Marie and raising his silver mask he ornated using some clean symbolism to it, only to his lower half. Marie could see his lower half face revealed, holding a clean appearance and a chiseled jawline.

Kissing the hand of the lady, one of the most chivalrous gestures in history, went smooth with Mathias giving Marie a kiss where he raised his eyes at the face of the woman he was spreading all his allurement for a good impression.

Returning to his chair, and lowering his mask, he left Marie alone with her own thoughts as he began talking with Hadrian.

On another hand, Marie since the moment Mathias kissed her hand and felt his warm lips, gently touched her hand, also sensed another thing which she couldn't understand, but something that was like a stimulus that began brewing inside of her. Later on she continued to observe Mathias without interfering into the talk he had with Hadrian.

'Clearly a young man, early twenties to mid-twenties. Well behaved and collected, knowing how to talk and treat ladies. Wait, he seems to show that he knows about jewels prices since he didn't bite on Hadrian's lower prices.'

'He offered that sapphire to me with that price just for me? Is he like the rest of them who just want favors from me?'

Marie kept on watching silently as Hadrian and Mathias debated openly, with Mathias asking Hadrian about the names of the jewels, and thus remembering only so-so about the prices he knew from the past. The black-haired mature lady could only giggle a bit when seeing how Mathias was like a stubborn bull who didn't want to give his gemstones for a single penny of disadvantage.

"Lord Octavian, you have to give me some leeway to work here. The market prices can always fluctuate, and what prices you might know that apply for those jewels, can shift. You have some splendid specimens, but the cost of polishing them, cleaning, and repurposing them for another use will also cost me. So, let's meet in between and everyone can deal with some profits."

'Hmph, you thought I was some fool to give my jewels for cheap? I only did it with Marie because I had to bait her, but you are just playing Pawn Stars with me.' thought Mathias in a cold tone, which was fully supported by Haycien.

"Final price for all the gemstones, taking in account the costs you specified. My final price is 235.000."

"You really can't go lower? 205.000?"

"Lord Hadrian, you fully know the true value of those gemstones. Compared to where we started at first, this price of mine is considered enough." mentioned Mathias with a serious voice, as if he was talking from equal to equal with the Governor.

All of these signs given off by Mathias made Marie more curious about who this masked person could be.

'Could it be? Is he related to the Grandmaster? Or some of the strong people remaining secluded in the Empire territory, the ones Gyuratan mentioned. Only that scary person would be able to look at everyone with an air of indifference.'

.

.

Apart from what Marie was thinking, Hadrian remained silent contemplating about the price Mathias wanted, and with some annoyance he reluctantly agreed, handshaking with Mathias, and remarking.

"Lord Octavian, I don't know who taught you to be this stubborn while doing business, but sometimes it might also backfire on you, without getting any deals done."

"Indeed, and I am fully aware of this, but to be honest, the full value of the gemstones, especially when taking in account the magic gemstone that if lucky could be sold to some Great Mage for a fortune. Who is losing out?"

"Hah, obviously me. There's only a handful of Great Mages, and it is unlikely they will be interested in the magic gemstone."

"Ohh, but if you can't find a Great Mage to sell it, why don't you wait for the outlanders to grow? They show great potential." remarked Mathias, in a mysterious way which made both Marie and Hadrian to look with weird glances at him, but they didn't comment on what he said, and Hadrian simply moved on.

"Anyway, let me get the money and seal off the deal."

"Lord Hadrian, I haven't brought money with me, can you lend me enough so I can pay Lord Octavian for the sapphire?" asked Marie in a casual way, not feeling that her request was something out of ordinary.

Mathias took this chance of opening that Marie showed, and waved his hands at her, dismissing such a notion.

"Your Majesty, you can always pay me yourself whenever you want and have the gold on yourself."

"Ohh really now? But wouldn't it be unfair to you, Lord?"

"It will be fine. Wouldn't the story about the Empress running off with the money of some poor man, tarnish your grace and reputation? We can't have this, right, Your Majesty?"

"You couldn't be more correct, since people like to gossip a lot nowadays. Even the smallest insignificant news that might give reasons to people to gossip will be turned into something bigger."

Hadrian who was at one of the safes in his room, glanced at Marie and asked her to be sure.

"Your Majesty, do you wish for me to withdraw 50.000 from the bank and add along with my price?"

"No need Hadrian, since Lord Octavian is such a gentleman, it will be a pleasure to make sure I did the paying, isn't it right, Octavian?"

"My lady, whenever. In person, using a proxy, however, your heart desires."

"And how would you want it?" asked Marie, with a curious expression on herself, watching for Mathias eye reaction, who also were on her, making her feel even better when all the attention was given to her.

"Obviously, I wouldn't ever miss the chance of being graced again by you."

Hearing that straightforward response from Mathias, it send all sort of signals to Marie, who was twirling her ink-black hair in a pleased way.

"I see, then my Lord, you should be present for the Masquerade. Who knows, maybe you will get your money, or something else. It is unknown what the future will have for us."

Nodding his head at the mesmerizing woman in front of him, he later waited silently for his money, and with Hadrian bringing out a large bag, that he placed on the office table.

"This bag contains coins worth 10 gold coins, and 100 gold coins. Everything is here, please count them out."

Taking the bag in his hands, a notification window popped out, telling him about the content inside the bag.

.

[Bag of Gold] - Worth (235.000 gold)

[Do you wish to withdraw the item?]

.

'Not yet. The appearance of a normal person is worth more right now than being stubborn.'

"Lord Hadrian, I will put my trust in you since I don't wish to embarrass myself with my low counting skills. I shall take my leave and let Your Excellencies continue with your meeting. Farewell, my lady, I will wait for you at the meeting."

Bowing at Hadrian, and later doing something bolder that might backfire on him, that being off giving Marie another kiss on her hand, which the lady didn't find any problem. In fact, she was rather pleased by the courtesy, insane boldness, and tender lips that injected her again with his Red Energy that acted like an aphrodisiac.

"Have a pleasing night too, Octavian."

Exiting the office and leaving out Marie and Hadrian, the Governor remarked in a cold way, as if he was slightly annoyed by the deal he completed with Mathias.

"I always hate doing business with annoying, stubborn people. I could barely cover my expenses if I resell them."

"Don't kid yourself Hadrian, if you go to Goldhit, I am sure she will want to acquire that magic gemstone since she is obsessed with them, and is not like you will have to work that much to reach her since she will return to Titan for the Masquerade." commented Marie shifting the way she held her legs, while continuing glancing at the Royal Blue Sapphire.

"It is still annoying. I couldn't get maximum profits from this deal. Right, Marie, you eyed that young man quite a lot, have you noticed something about him?"

"That Octavian? I have never met him in about 10 years since I have become Empress, so we can exclude the fact he is a noble. Maybe he is one of those reclused people? Like Kirinus? I really couldn't care less, but the first impression was pleasant."

"Sigh, you really are easygoing when it comes to handsome guys. Aren't you afraid Juander might get upset by this?"

"Now, now, Hadrian, this is just cordial meetings. Let's continue on with the talk, where was I before getting interrupted?"

"You were explaining to me how you wanted to form a new Knight's Order to be your soldiers."

"Ahh, the Rose Knights, indeed. I want you to fund this endeavor of mine."

"Marie, you know I can't take money from the treasury without justifications. His Majesty each month sends Chensler to check on my records, and if they don't match up, it will be messy."

"It is easy to deal with that old man."

"Sure, for you it might, the Empress of the Empire, who would dare to touch you beside foolish youngsters with burning blood? But that's not the point. Why would you want to gamble on such investment? Managing Knightly Orders is a headache, and a money whirlpool, having to feed, train, suit them in armor and so on."

"To consolidate my power as Empress and start building one of the Pillars for Edan's Ascension." remarked Marie in a casual tone to Hadrian as if it was something common, but the expression on her face turned colder.

"Marie … It will be hard."

"What wasn't hard in this life, Hadrian? Come on, don't be that cheap as when we first meet and do me this favor. It will be an investment that will pay off, that's something I can assure you."

"How? Is unlikely Juander will give the title of Crown Prince to little Edan regardless of how much talent he shows. The first in the succession line is Roland while the second one is Durandal, both of those kids saw signs of wanting the crown, especially the second prince."

Marie's expression turned even colder as she gazed at Hadrian, playing with the sapphire in her hand, and remarking with a detached voice.

"This will remain to be seen, what I am certain about is that my little Edan will be Emperor. What will you do, Hadrian, will you assist me again?"

The middle-aged man remained silent as he watched Marie toss the gemstone around, contemplating on his choices in a detached way, and after some long minutes passed, he reluctantly nodded his head.

Marie stayed for a bit more to talk with Hadrian, with a totally shifted attitude, of a warm woman, satisfied, and when she raised on her feet to depart from Hadrian's office she patted the man's shoulder, remarking.

"I will make you the Prime Minister of the Saharan Empire, Hadrian. If everything works according to how I foresee the future, our futures will be bright."

"I understand Marie, I will wait comfortably in this chair of mine to see how it will turn out. In the worst case I will be demoted if something unthinkable happens, and return back to my small village to sell fish."

"Those years have passed long ago, dear. Your future is bound to mine."

Exiting the office with a calm expression on her face, the skinny Red Knight, Gyuratan was there to greet her first, and remark with an emotionless voice.

"You took more than I expected inside. Don't tell me you did it with that mortal?"

"Mind your business, I only took you out with the rest, so it doesn't feel like you aren't doing your custodian's tasks." replied Marie coldly, to this man, as he walked forward, followed by the other 3 Red Knights, leaving the fourth, Gyuratan, behind, where the latter gave off a creepy smile, remarking to himself.

"Mortals get drunk on power rather easily. The more power you want, in order to feel that sensation of domination over the others, the more you will descend into darkness. Marie, you shall sign for my full return to this World as I am on top of you."

.

.

.

On another hand, Mathias who picked up Vek departed the Imperial Bank, and using his Raven's Movement that looked rather oddly compared to when he learned them from Corvus, he made his disappearance, just when some Imperial Guards were about to ask him some questions followed by the Bank's Officials.

"Strange, he should have been here not too long ago. I wanted to give him a business card, so whenever he wanted my help he could contact me."

"You lost your chance, Jerald. That red-head departed."

"Sigh, is fine. Go back to work guys. I've seen you lazing around lately."

"Gave us some slack Jerald, we were about to crush those punny outlanders who attacked you, but got stopped by that guy."

In a corner of a nearby building Mathias who held Vek by his hand, breathed out relieved that he wasn't dragged into a commotion by the gemstones he sold, and with a still early stage of the [Phantom Steps] a skill he still didn't receive a notification of learning and acquiring it, he began feeling pain in his leg muscles, as if his muscles fibers torn apart.

"Mathias, what happened?"

"Nothing much, I just took the fastest way to make myself disappear in a cool way, let's go before some people find me strange." remarked Mathias who changed his suit, into some clothes a commoner would wear, along with wrapping his crimson hair into a black Shemagh, doing a Chaperon out of it, as if he was some Medieval Rich guy, so as to avoid suspicious looks.

Nevertheless, he didn't escape Vek's curious questions, never seeing such a thing, even when exploring Titan, which made him laugh as he began taking off from where he stopped to change his clothes and put a new headgear.

"Haha, that's another efficient way of not showing my hair to those from outside. As you can see, I have to make my appearances quite rare around so people can forget about me. Otherwise if I don't diversify, I'll get caught, and something bad will later happen to me."

Entering another part of the Inner City which he was familiar, he went looking around with Vek for available space to set Fayrene's and his shop, and as the night went on, for better or worse Mathias with his kobold friend return back to Wallmor District, entering the house after some weird pattern walk.

Then with the first hour of the sunrise, he went to train again, doing a short drill of his spear skills, and stopped when getting notified by Malakai and Red.

@Malakai: Bro, I love you. Those boots are crazy good, just as you mentioned. I've placed all the money on the guild storage. You should have seen the Counts expression when I brought those gemstones to him for selling. Ahh, yes, in total I have managed to gain 25.000 gold.

@Malakai: Have you done it on purpose and placed some low-value gemstones on those bags?

@Mathias: No, not really. I might have learned some things about gemstones from my outside research for my novel, and the trade with that jeweler, but overall I have no control over the gemstones. Also, I only have about 10 more of those. Thanks for the hard work, bro.

@Red: Yoo, boss. I come bringing news, me with Lane and Evan managed to sell the jewels you placed on the guild storage. Let's say that those jewelers we sold our stuff were quite cheap ones, but nevertheless I think I got a fair price all around, 56.000 gold. Ahh, I stopped 6k from that sum, for the three of us, as damage expenses to our minds, having to hear about the prices of some gemstones.

@Red: I'll sell all that gold of mine. 30k Baby! I'll even come to Bucharest and give you a kiss, you bastard. Last thing, I didn't ninja loot those boots you left on the last page of the storage room, thinking it was for Malakai.

@Mathias: Hasn't that gold selling thing been busted one day ago?

@Red: Yea, but so what? Is like with PirateBay man, you catch one more pirates take off to sail, thus those authorities just mess up the more they want to stop this trade of gold for cash.

@Mathias: You do you, but I don't want to hear from you about you getting banned.

@Red: No worries man, I got this. Anyway, I wish you good luck with that project you want to do in Titan. I'll be there maybe next week since I've cleared most of the early content for Dewars. I am level 45 already, soon to hit 46 after I turn in a quest.

@Mathias: Good luck to you too, James. You will feel the boredom of being too high of a level soon.

@Red: Hahaha, I doubt. I've heard from Malakai that he got himself killed by Great Mage Ashur because of a stupid quest. An NPC with the level close to 300, that's just a light for me to push myself and reach his level.

Ending his talk with Red and Malakai, slowly with the arrival of the day, the others also sent him messages about their success in selling the gemstones he sent off, and calculating in his mind the amount of gold he should have, while subtracting the gold some of the guys took from his treasure trove, it reached a staggering 481.000 Gold.

Vek who was beside him, as he was resting on a bench of the courtyard, heard Mathias murmur a number he couldn't understand, before the latter turned silent, contemplating.

"By what those Deep Web market prices are, 1 gold for 10 $ wouldn't I be a millionaire right now? Fuck, just now I remember a big flaw in all these tasks I gave them, they're prone to betray in any guild regardless of how naive I might want to be at times. Let's lock the Guild Storage so they don't get greedy about withdrawing more than they shouldn't."

"Tomorrow, I will go with Fayrene to check for places that could fit the modern workshop for clothing line."

"Little Vek, I will have to leave you soon since I have to return from where I am from. You can do whatever you want, just be careful and do not upset those bandits of the city since they are petty and arrogant."

32