Vol. 2 – Chapter 66 – Working Machine
632 1 27
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vol. 2 – Chapter 66 - Working Machine

.

.

.

Time passed in Titan, but the snow still didn't chase to drop, painting the city into a mesmerizing white color. The citizens of the city were trying their best to stay at the cover of their warm homes, with the exception of the ones who had an unfortunate situation in their lives.

The beggars, the orphans, and the old were struggling the most in those times where the Winter's kiss was frigid, and at its merciless state, not sparing anyone unfit to survive her breath.

They were trying to find the best locations to hide from the cold, but there was still those who couldn't make it and collapse on the streets, where the Imperial Guards would stumble on them, sighing to themselves, picking the deceased and placing them on a location they would be incinerated later.

Yet, the city even in those harsh conditions didn't fall from brimming with life in the mornings that could bless them with warmer temperatures compared to the nights. People regardless of the season had to continue on with their lives, struggling to feed themselves and their families, such was the case for Edwin and his Stonemason Guild, who since being contracted by Mathias and after waiting for his materials to arrive, began the construction of the Workshop and also the reconstruction of the stable, so dear to old Pliny.

These new movements that were happening in the neighborhood that Pliny's estate belonged generated gossip, especially when the people saw the large number of people arriving from the North District stepping inside the Inner City, respectively the part closer to the Hippodrome, bringing along the stone materials, filling the courtyard of the old man who was visited by so many people in those winter times, that he couldn't bring himself to explain the new feeling he was sensing in his chest.

As days passed, the construction would continue, only stopping at one rare point in time when it was a blizzard all day long, which disabled even the sturdiest mason from working. The discussion about the new building rising inside the Inner City made the people turn curious, especially with the constant appearance of a young man wearing a black hat in a weird style that covered his entire head, covered in a black winter coat, black pants and warm hunting boots.

It was in human nature to discuss the unknowns, such was the case for the building raising in front of them, yet it was still too early for them to admire this sprouting building who was in a raw state, not even brought to 30% completion state.

On another hand, Mathias who was taking his time to visit the stage of the key elements to his project, apart from his constant visiting that he would do to Pliny, he also brought food to Edwin and his guild who were working diligently even in the winter.

"I might have to bring some more for you guys since you really are going nuts with the rate you are constructing my building." commented Mathias while placing his hands closer to the fireplace inside Pliny's house, while Edwin was beside a large cauldron he was cooking something.

"Mathias, this is more than enough. You graced us enough with plenty of food in those couple of weeks since we started building the Workshop. We can handle our rations."

"Edwin, I don't intend to have you starve out just so you could complete the contract."

"Lad stop arguing with little Mathias, he is probably smarter than you are and knows what's best for your people. Think about the free time you now can allow your workers just because you no longer have to depart for the North District and feed them." said Pliny, who was on a rocking chair watching both Mathias and Edwin in a content way, pleased with both youngsters.

He got to knew Edwin's story from the Stonemason members who cursed to oblivion the noble who scammed them and to not make it too harder for them he allowed the masons to set a camp inside his property, closer to the worksite.

"Fine, I will accept the gesture. If the winter will get milder and hopefully stop, the completion time might shorten up a lot. My supplier is more than pleased to get orders in this time of the season, where everyone stops any construction."

"For good reasons." added Pliny in a calm way, to which Edwin simply laughed off, stating that his men have the blood of the Cleef tribe and wouldn't be stopped by some measle snow.

The three continue talking about the events that happened in the recent weeks inside Titan, and it reached the discussion about the gossip the people started to spread about the building the Stonemasons were raising. This made Pliny to laugh out loud, in a pleased way, commenting first about this subject.

"You should have seen the faces of those bastards who treated me as a dead old man. They constantly would ask me if I sold the property."

"And what was your answer?"

"Obviously, I sold it. Haha, their faces were priceless. Now they can't do anything about it, but ask who I sold it."

"Sir Pliny, you shouldn't play around with these notions, what if someone holds a grudge on you?" added Edwin while he gave the old man a plate of the food he cooked, with Mathias rejecting, stating he already eat before arriving here.

"It might, but I don't care right now. If they want to mess with me, don't I have little Mathias to back me?"

"Ahem, I'll rather have you not create trouble for me. But, if someone would want to harm you, they will have to step on me first."

After giving Pliny his plate, Edwin exited the house, and his voice could be heard shouting for his men to arrange themselves in a disciplined formation, and with groups of 12 to enter inside the house, and dine inside.

Then came the stonemasons who entered carrying themselves with humbleness, greeting respectfully Mathias and old Pliny, and later settling down in a corner of the house not far from Mathias who placed the wood on the fireplace to make it blaze stronger and warm those guys.

Like this, after the first batch of guys ended eating, there was another group of guys who entered inside who felt the warmth wash over them. In no time, every member of the Stonemason guild, numbering a decent size of 126 got a warm meal, and also a warm stay, before returning to their camp.

Mathias when he noticed that Edwin was preparing to return to his work, also bide his farewell to Pliny and the Stonemason leader, taking off toward Wallmor district, where he intended to stop at Nelmon's shop to hear about the breakthrough the craftsman managed to accomplish in those three weeks since picking on the hard job.

Passing by and entering the Wallmort district, he spotted a lot of Syndicate Thugs roaming around, where he could see hostility in their eyes, which made him walk past them with a blank expression, and when he eavesdropped a tiny bit of their conversation it was spot on what he was thinking they were looking for.

'See old Hay, if we are doing the heroic acts, now we shook the wasp's nest. It will get annoying and there is a higher chance they will start retaliating on the people, or I guess the players, like me.'

{Who are you kidding brat? You probably can't wait for them to antagonize you so you could snap on and start slaughtering them. You trained for about two months, without killing any beast, or trash. You must be getting bored, only training yourself, right.}

'Heh, a little bit. However, let's not entertain that thought, and behave like gentlemen. No need for blood spillage, especially in this cruel winter.'

Similar to strangers who have never met before, Mathias passed past the Clark Thugs and arrived in front of Nelmon's Shop that had its forge chilled, a sign that Nelmon wasn't building anything or was absent. Nevertheless, when he tried stepping inside, he found that the door was locked, later on popping out a notification.

.

[Nelmon Blacksmithing Shop is closed. Return when the owner opens the shop]

[Ralph, Nelmon's son checked the door sight, and noticed about your visit.]

What followed next for Mathias was hearing Ralph's voice saying with a quiet voice, as if he was afraid that others might hear his voice.

"Big brother, because of dad's orders I closed the shop's main door, but you can enter from the backdoor. Just walk back to the shop, on the right side, I will pick you up from there."

"Roger."

.

This secretive approach intrigued Mathias and without further waiting, he walked in the location Ralph guided him, where from the side of the building wall something opened up, revealing a hidden door mechanism being opened up, with Ralph insight.

"Come in big brother. Glad you've read my letter, there's big news for you that only by showing you, could you be sure it got transmitted."

Chuckling at the boy's excitement, he entered the building and watched Ralph close the hidden door that contained an intricate mechanism that was rarely seen around, only hearing about something similar in fantasy books he read.

{That's a dwarven mechanism. A really strong mechanism that only the best craftsmen of the dwarven clans could build. I have met one of such dwarves, the one who built my castle was the master who built all the locks and mechanisms.I can swear those dwarves have a weird fetish with locks, maybe because their treasures were prone to be stolen by dragons that they counted on such approach.}

'Well, Nelmon did say that he studied under a high member of the dwarven clan inside Talima. So he probably learned from them and while building his shop, he applied his knowledge to make himself safe from thugs trying to pick on him.'

Finishing closing the mechanism, Ralph who in his excited state rapidly guided Mathias toward the forge room, where he could see Nelmon stay crouched, tinkering with something he couldn't see because of the craftsman body.

"You've brought Mathias, Ralph?"

"Yes, dad, big brother is here. You can show him the magical device." responded Ralph who was beside Mathias, to which Nelmon turned his body upright, turning to face his patron.

"Good to see you, Mathias. Should I go straight to the point of why I wanted you to come? I guess I don't have to ask. Let me present you with the first try of building the Sewing Machine."

Saying that Nelmon turned toward the sewing machine he built only in the mechanical device, which was spot on with the patent he gave him. Stepping closer to the machine, he crouched down to admire the craftsmanship, and could only mutter in his shocked state.

"Splendid."

"Indeed, Lord Mathias, I am proud to say that this was the most challenging work I've completed. Only thanks to your detailed draw of the machine were I able to complete it. So half of the credit beside bringing to light such a unique mechanism and device belongs to you Lord Mathias."

"Does it work?" asked Mathias, turning his head toward Nelmon who only grinned at the crimson-haired young man, and without responding himself, his son, Ralph told Mathias in a proud manner.

"It does, the mechanism works as intended, but we still can't figure out how to place the tread on the machine even after reading the paper you gave us."

"Ahem, the only drawback, well, you can't call it drawback could be this, but to my defense is the fact that I didn't try that much." replied Nelmon, making it sound as if it wasn't much of his fault for not being able to put the thread in the mechanism.

"As long as it works, the feeding part is just how you would have to carefully set up the bobbin with thread inside the machine. Can I give it a try?"

"You're more than welcome. I also wanted to see a Master Tailor work using his own device himself."

"Hah, don't compare me with those great masters. I am just an amateur compared to them. Anyway, the machine also needs its supporting platform, otherwise it would be unstable." replied Mathias in a humble way, something that made Nelmon view Mathias in a different light, while later asking for the last missing piece.

Nelmon turned his head at Ralph, who coughed a bit, saying to Mathias.

"Sorry big brother, I still didn't finish the ornaments I wanted to throw for that table."

"It is fine, little Ralph. Once I see that the machine is working, I will let you play with the table ornaments all you want."

Nodding his head like a chick, Ralph quickly dashed toward another room of the shop and brought with him, carrying in his arms the table required for the sewing machine. It was made from walnut wood which could be classified as one of the best types of wood to use for furnishings. Apart from this it had specific touches and flower decorations that struck to his eyesight, that made Mathias look rather pleased knowing the boy had such talent in the crafting.

"Nice job. You really are talented. How is it sir Nelmon, aren't you proud to see your son taking over your talent?"

"He is my son, correct, but he is lazy."

"Now, now, don't be harsh on him, once he grows he will understand what responsibilities are. For now let him enjoy his childhood at the fullest without stressing him."

"I will take note of your advice. Now come Ralph, help me install the sewing machine."

"Understood, dad."

It took some minutes for the duo to fit the machine on the table, but the fittings were perfectly matched, only having to screw the secure lock, and when they finished setting up the machine, Mathias took a seat on a specially built chair for the job.

Looking around the machine from the perspective of a worker, he remained unmoving from that position, as if he was contemplating how one used this machine, which he immediately remembered from the extensive documentaries and tutorials he watched. Starting with taking out a set of needles from his inventory that he inserted the machine which he secured using the specific mechanism, followed by making the bobbin, by placing the thread on the spools of the bobbin, which in itself was a fascinating process to watch by the father and son duo.

They remained silent the entire process Mathias was working. From nowhere, after Mathias finished placing the thread and checking the other parts, they saw him place his hand on the lever mechanism, beginning spinning the tread on the spool, bringing forth the sound of wheel clanking along with the machine clunking at the needlepoint.

"Dad it works. We did it."

"Shhh, keep quiet, son. He is still working on doing those checks from the paper."

Their conversation didn't bother Mathias at all who couldn't contain his happy expression, of joy seeing the machine working smoothly without any sounds of breaking. With the last stage of setting the machine, he began the threading of the machine. This final process required him careful movements of his hands while pulling the thread around the locations he was required to pass in order to finish this stage.

At first, it looked troublesome, being required to do so many steps, but once Mathias was done with this and started pulling the lever of the turning wheel at the end of the machine, he breathed out in relief.

"Last part, to see if it sews."

Taking out a piece of fabric from his inventory, he placed on the needle part of the machine, arranging it nicely before he turned the lever and started the machine, moving his hands in a vertical line, where he watched as the needle passed from point to point at the rate, he was moving the wheel.

*Machine clunking*

"It really works as intended."

Turning around to look at Nelmon and Ralph, with a pure smile, he thanked the craftsman with all his heart.

"Sir Nelmon, I can't bring myself on how to express my appreciation for your masterful craftsmanship and talent in the domain of mechanics. Tell me, how hard is it for you to build such a machine?"

"It is fine, thanks for presenting me with such a unique challenge. Being the one to build such a device that will make life easier for the lives of many people. As for how long it might take to build this machine? Since this time I ignored all my customers the entire time, even closing the shop and focusing only on the machine, it might take longer now. However, there's another conflict, now I know what materials I need for the gears, but then the cost comes into play."

Facing Mathias, Nelmon give him a direct answer after he pondered outloud on all the variables he had to take into consideration.

"Two weeks or three weeks like the first machine. It doesn't make a lot of difference now that I have the blueprints in my head to build it successfully."

"And the overall price. How much would you estimate for the machine knowing how much work you would put into making each component and assembling it."

"If I were to sell this machine, I would do it in the range of 5.000-10.000."

"No, sir Nelmon, I wanted to ask how much did it cost you to build the machine?" asked Mathias again, while Nelmon give him a weird stare as if he didn't understand the question, replying in a comical way.

"No idea. I built it with the leftovers I had in my shop. It shouldn't be that expensive, maybe 1000-2000 gold in total for everything?"

"You can't be joking right?"

"Lord Mathias, I really can't give you an answer. We'll find out once I run out of materials and I will need to buy a new batch. Right, I should give you back some of the money you gave me that time since I had no need for them, those 10.000 gold."

Hearing that Mathias immediately rejected, told him in a friendly tone.

"Keep them for bad times. Or use them to build me more of those machines since I will need a lot of them."

"If I may? How many?"

"Hundreds." replied Mathias in a nonchalant way, making Nelmon whistle, saying to his son.

"You heard him, son. You got work to do."

"With this type of work, I don't mind. You know I don't like making swords and those dangerous weapons."

"Hah, fine, fine. I'll leave you off for today since I am in a good mood. Lord Mathias, do you want some boiled wine to warm yourself a bit, the weather outside is rather depressing."

"A little bit will be fine. I will not keep you busy for too long since I have other places to be."

.

.

.

Meanwhile, as Mathias was having some boiled wine with Nelmon, close to the South Gates of Titan, a group of three guys wearing slim clothes, covered in snow from head to toes, trembling like rats, discussed the arrival to Titan.

"Finally we arrived at Titan. This journey from Dewars got messy with this sudden winter." said a young man in his early twenties, with shoulder-length brown hair that was styled loose and disheveled with some side hair being tied low behind his neck with a gun tied at his waist.

*Sniff* "Who would have thought that our bodies would be so messed up by the winter. Fuck, I should have listened to those guys in the forums and buy myself some winter coats." mentioned another young man with light brown skin, dark hair and eyes, who blew his nose.

"How is it? This is the first time you see snow? The only think you see on a daily basis is the Giza Pyramid and sand." commented the gunman, to the brown-skinned young man.

"Hah, better I see sand rather than being rained for 24/7. Also, don't think I haven't noticed your tick English accent, the system is even translating what you are saying in standard english."

"… You want to get burnt?"

"You two quiet down, I heard we need to pass the check-ins of the guards. Act normal." said a tall mid-twenties guy with short hair styled quite decently, carrying a slim longsword at his waist.

"Damnit Red. We need a place to stay and recover from the sickness debuff we gained."

"We'll go to Mathias place."

"You know where his home is located?" asked Evan glancing at Red, who was trembling from the cold.

"Yea, he told me in the past. Let's see if he allows us to stay there."

The group arrived at the South Gate where the guards who were decently equipped for the winter continued screening the newcomers and asking them for the entrance fee while the inhabitants of the city were allowed to enter freely. Passing the screening, the group of three stepped inside Titan, and with Red being familiarized with the city, he took the right path toward Wallmort District.

"Dude, do you know where we are going?" asked Lane, who was looking at the foreigner place Red was taking them.

"Trust me, I spent most of the Beta Phase exploring Titan. I know where Wallmort District is, I just need to follow the landmarks Mathias told me in the past and we'll get there."

"Shouldn't we be careful about the Syndicates? I heard from the forums that they are prolific inside Titan."

"Doesn't matter, can't we simply kill them if they are hostile? At most, they should be level 30-50, the lackeys. As for the leadership of the gangs, let's hope we don't encounter them because using my logic, they should be about level 150-200."

Continuing their journey toward the Wallmort, as if they were zombies with only one target in mind, Red finally spotted the small square of the district, where the fountain Mathias was so found when talking froze, making the decoration on the fountain looks like a crystal statue.

"Are we close?"

"Pretty close."

Red, then walked toward the zone that had some houses, until he reached a small house that was cleared out of snow, with the chimney giving off smoke, the pathway toward the house also cleared, making Red to give a grin.

"This is the place."

The two beside him, Evan and Lane stared at the house, and saw a small placard that had inscribed the name of a shop.

[Night Fay Tailorshop]

"This is where Guild Master has been wasting his time not leveling at all?"

"Aye, let's see if he welcomes us."

Saying that Red was the first to step toward the door, followed by the other two, and with a stable knocking that turned slightly alerted, he heard the footsteps of someone walking to open the door, while the voice of a woman entered his ears.

"It must be some orphan again who wants some food and a warm place."

"Should I prepare the tea, sister?"

"Do so, Jeanne."

'What is this? I got to the wrong house?' thought Red when he heard those women's voices, but then he saw the door open, revealing a raven-haired beauty wearing winter clothes.

"Sigh, it wasn't orphans. How can I help you, sir?" asked Fayrene, who saw that the three guys in front of her were players

"Ahem, greetings. Sorry if I am disturbing you, but I was wondering, by chance do you know someone by the name of Mathias?" replied Red, while asking Fayrene if she had any idea about Mathias, a simple question that would answer him if he got the right place.

He glanced at what she had at the top of her name if she was an NPC, and to his surprise, he noticed she was a player like him a high ranked at that, with her level being 44, which turned his cogwheels immediately.

"Wait, your name is Red, right? The one from the Leviathan Guild?"

"Yes, lady."

"I see, then come in. Mathias was expecting you to arrive in Titan, but at a later date since the blizzard hit the region of Titan hard."

"Excuse us." said Red who stepped inside the house, to saw the main room being similar to a boutique, where there were some clothes put on display, with the reception counter relatively close.

In his swift observation, he noticed a small creature resting on a couch, that he could see it was an NPC, that was quite high level, being at 78, which made him look rather weak, being only at level 54. Beside that, around the fireplace he could see about 8 kids warming up, making a connection with the first remark of the woman.

"You can go to the fireplace and warm up. My friend will bring you three, green tea to help you defrost."

"Thanks a lot, lady. If I may? What is your relation with Mathias?"

Fayrene, who went to pick some blankets for the newly arrived, turned her head at Red and replied in a calm way.

"Mathias is my boyfriend. Why?"

"Ahh, nothing big. I was just curious since he never mentioned he had a girlfriend."

"No problem, stop talking and go to the fireplace."

Nodding at what Fayrene said, he walked in a friendly way toward the kids, who noticed their arrival, making them turn a bit scared. However, Red who arrived close to the fireplace, calmed the kids, bringing out some fruits from his inventory that he shared with them. Proving that he wasn't dangerous, he closed his eyes and watched the cooldown of the debuff he was suffering accelerate in recovery.

"I brought the teas."

Hearing the second woman's voice which now he fully heard, an angelic voice that could soothe one's mind, made him open his eyes instantly, noticing a woman with golden hair, wearing comfortable winter clothes, walking toward them holding a kettle in her right hand, and three glasses in her left.

[Jeanne - LV. 165]

'WHAT? Who is this babe? Jeanne … She looks familiar.'

@Red: Lane, Evan, don't you find this woman familiar?

@Lane: Isn't she the Priestess of the Rebecca Church?

@Red: That's right! That's her. What is she doing here inside Mathias's house? Don't tell me, that bastard also captured her?

Receiving the teacup in an awkward tone, Red asked Jeanne in the same awkward way.

"Lady, what is your relation with Mathias?"

"My relation with Mathias? He is my soulmate."

@Red: So this is why that fucker didn't level at all. He was banging those babes for sure.

.

.

[For sure he was doing that. Anyway, I want to hear your thoughts about this chapter.]

27