Vol. 2 – Chapter 70 – Breaking the Weight Limit
563 1 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vol. 2 – Chapter 70 – Breaking the Weight Limit

.

.

.

Mathias' message was received rather weirdly by Red and his group, especially in the location they were sitting, the "Raven's Tavern". Red who finished his brief conversation with Mathias turned to look at Evan and Lane and with a confused expression, he remarked.

"The Guild leader wants a Fir Tree to have Christmas inside Titan."

"Why would he ask us? Can't he simply buy one from some peasant?" concluded Lane with a dumbfounded expression, not understanding Mathias's weird choices.

"That guy either is a moron or idiot, since he told me to steal one. Tsk, let's go outside the city walls and cut a tree and make Guild Leader happy. Those clothes he gave us aren't cheap by any means, especially with those crazy bonuses along with the warm bonuses for the winter." remarked Red, who showed off his black winter coat that was pleasant to the eye.

"I mean, sure, guild leader helped us a lot in those couple of days with clothes without even asking us for money. From the quality of the clothes, each piece is worth at least 350 gold or more, such clothes could be even used while hunting, so I had no problem helping out with the tree."

Evan too was wearing a similar type of clothes, and could only agree with Mathias request, and after the group finished eating and drinking at the pub, they got going to accomplish their quest, exiting the city after making sure the guards wouldn't tax them again and went on the main road, where they started finishing for the Fin Trees in their surrounding area, and they found a later tall tree that they surrounded.

"Quite the big boy right here. How tall do you say it is?" asked Red, looking up at the fir tree in front of him.

"Maybe 13 meters? I don't know exactly? I don't seem to have a ruler with me right now."

"I guess you could say it is 10-15 meters range." responded Lane who seized the tall tree.

"The big question is, do we cut this bugger off? Will the guards allow us with the tree?" asked Evan, looking at the other two beside him.

"What could happen? We give them some money to keep them quiet, and we mind our business, bringing the tree to Mathias." replied Red, who took out his longsword touching the bark of the tree with the blade.

"It will for sure need some repairing but I got no axe with me. Lane, let's get to work, we'll get it done in a couple of minutes."

Saying that Red was the first one to swing his sword at the tree leaving a mark on its bark, followed by Lane who too swung his bastard sword at the tree, leaving his mark, while Evan was left out having no inclination or skills in wielding a sword to assist the other two. Nevertheless, the simple job of cutting the tree went pretty smooth with Red and Lane working in unison to drop the tree, but their expression soured a bit commenting.

"My blade got to 30/168 durability, I barely escaped from breaking the weapon."

"Well, my buddy here is doing fine 120/265 of durability. You should improve your swinging since I could only shake my head when seeing you cut the tree."

"Leave me alone, my sword is for cutting monsters and idiots, not for trees. That's why you got axes to do the job." complained Lane after being nagged by Red, who made fun of his cutting skills.

On another hand Evan who glanced at the dropped tree, placed one of the simplest questions.

"Now what?"

"Obviously, we will carry the tree to the city. Don't worry, I have some ropes, they come in handy in those times. Setting traps and acting as support." replied Red, who passed Evan the rope, telling him to tie the tree trunk in a secure way to later transport it.

"Why me?"

"Lane and I got our hands freezing from cutting the tree, while you were being comfortable watching us work."

"Yep, don't complain you lazy bum." added Lane who placed his hands in his pockets while giving Evan a mocking expression.

"Motherfu.."

In the end, Evan could only agree with the two, finding their remarks so-so, and with the rope in hand, he walked around the tree to tie it down, and only after he was finished with his task, the other two took on the ropes starting to carry it using the snow to smooth the departure.

"Lucky we have snow. It would be abysmal doing this with the muddy road."

"I know. Evan you did a great job with the rope, are you by chance into those kinky fetishes?" joked Lane, who felt his grip secured well by the knots made by Evan.

"Give me a break, it's you who is stupid not to know to do some knots."

The three bickered on their journey until they reached the South Gates, where the Imperial Guards watched from the top of the walls with a dumbfounded expression, asking one another in a worried tone.

"Did the protocol state about banning people bringing trees that size inside the city?"

"No idea, but as long as it doesn't damage anything inside the city, we can allow those guys."

"Wait, those three are the outlanders who inquired if they would be taxed again for exiting the city. Let's get some easy money boys, since in the end they are doing something that might be frowned by the plebs."

"Lets. At least the Red Knights will not have reasons to whine about us doing nothing on a daily basis."

With the group of guards finishing their plan for Red, Evan and Lane who were dragging the Fir tree, while the flow of people was rather rare at the gates because of the winter season where even the merchants stopped their trading.

On another hand, the guards stationed to keep in check the people arriving and departing got to watch the group of guards who climbed from the garrison at the walls, to meet Red and his boys.

"Well, well, what we got here? Didn't you know you are committing an illegality by bringing such a large object inside Titan's Walls, especially by dragging it. Where is your carriage?" asked the leader of that greedy guards, as he pushed away the ones stationed to check on the flow of people.

"Sir, come on, don't accuse me of things I am innocent. There are always ways to solve things amicable. This is just a tree for a friend, nothing more. But because we are having a holiday soon, it's in our tradition to give to others. Here, I hope it will suffice." responded Red with a shrewd expression when noticing who was the guard to stop him, exactly the one he asked if he would be taxed.

Moving toward him, he placed a bag of coins inside an opening in his armor before whistling to the other two to continue their journey, and as they stepped inside the city, Lane and Evan heard Red murmur in a cold voice.

"Piece of shit, do you think I will not pay you back for trying to scam me of my precious money? If Mathias doesn't kill you when he becomes a Red Knight, I will do it myself even if you are hundreds of levels ahead of me."

On another hand, the Imperial Guard took out the bag from his armor and could see 50 gold coins there, which made the man chuckle in an evil way, remarking to his colleagues.

"See? Easy money like I told you."

"Maybe we should do this more often with the outlanders. They calmed down from trying to fight us back and swarming people like rabid beasts just to kill the ones they have grudges."

.

Mathias who was in the courtyard using his arcane magic to clean around, in order to prepare for the Fir Tree he told Red to bring, noticed Vek approach him with a curious expression.

"Lord Mathias, what are you doing?"

"Can't you see? I am cleaning the courtyard."

"Yes, but why? It will snow again at night most likely."

"Doesn't matter, I have more time on my hands right now. Hmm, right I should see if I can see some ornaments that can work in exchange. Vek, clean around the snow like I did for that half, there will be the three guys you've meet last time visiting."

"Huh, those annoying guys who made fun of me."

"You can always beat them if you don't like them. You are stronger than them." joked Mathias who was moving his hands as if he was the conductor of an orchestra.

"No. Elder taught me I shouldn't choose violence in such cases, instead act calmly and contemplate my chances for success."

"Smart."

Recalling his arcane spells, that were helping him clean around, he wrapped a scarf around his face, and with the chaperone hat on his head, he departed for the Grand Market, wherein the process he heard the gossip of people who discussed a large tree being dragged by some outlanders.

"Don't tell me, those guys brought some monster-size tree for me? Or is it someone else? No, probably it is the act of those three."

Not wasting his time on useless strolling around the Grand Market, he stopped at the familiar lady he used to count on when it came to tricky objects that were rather rare to be found around. She was covered in a winter coat while sitting on her chair, while beside her was a young girl about 12 years old that watched over the stall.

"Good afternoon, little Joel. I want to buy something from your stall."

"Ahh, is the nice big brother. Welcome back! Please come in, excuse grandma, but she is tired and took a nap." greeted the little girl, as she blew air into her hands, trying to warm herself, and looking at the old lady seeming to doze off.

However saw that something was a bit off with the old lady breathing as it was rather forced, and immediately the little girl could see Mathias body being surrounded by a burning light, as if he was a Saint that descended to the Earth, and she felt herself warming up a bit being in close proximity to Mathias.

Mathias' eyes turned softer, as he extended his hand covered in Red Energy that touched the little girl's head, and afterwards walked closer to the old lady to check her temperature.

"Ahh, this isn't good. Granny Ann, can you hear me?"

"She isn't regulating her temperature. Little Joel, why granny isn't home right now?"

"Isn't grandma sleeping to ease her time?" asked the little girl confused, but then when seeing Mathias serious expression, while his hands were giving off an intense aura placing them on the old lady's head and chest, as he tried to regulate her body temperature using one of the Red Energy unique abilities.

*Cough* *Cough*

"Where am I?" asked the old lady with a weak voice, with her eyes being unfocused.

"Shhh, don't spend your energy on talking. Tell me, lady Ann, are you suffering from some sickness."

*Cough*

"It is you, little boy. Could it be that you saved me?"

"Why are you out at this period of time? Is this stall that important?"

"I have no other way of getting money to feed this little girl of mine. I have no one else as family, all I can do is sit here and sell the goods I receive from others."

The old lady could feel the sadness in Mathias ruby eyes, as he kept on warming her up, without saying anything, while Joel quickly got to her side, and kept on asking her what happened to her, if she was sick, then going on blaming herself for her health.

"Sigh, it isn't your fault little Joel. What's to blame an innocent girl who has to live in this harsh environment?" remarked Mathias as he patted her head.

The old lady tried to explain to herself why Mathias would always be bothered to visit her, and help her by buying her goods, then with a weak voice she brought herself to ask him that.

"Child, why are you so kind to me and my granddaughter?"

"Because you helped me a lot in your own ways. The items I would find in your stall would always be the things I want or be close to what I am looking for. There's no harm done if I continue looking after you, but to see you like this, sick, it hurts me."

"To think you would hold me in your esteem so highly. I am sorry for worrying you child, Joel."

The treatment continued, and as the old lady eyes gained their clarity, she saw the Red Energy envelop her body, and in a calm way, she closed her eyes, and mentioned to Mathias as if she was reminiscent about the past.

"This warmth and power, I heard about the stories of Pope Franz, who would descend into the public and bless people, making miracles and curing the people. Are you by chance a member of the Rebbeca Church?"

"No, your description doesn't fit the bill, lady Ann, I am your average person, with a small but unique power that can warm people."

The old lady kept quiet as she watched Mathias do his magic, and with her frail hands, she extended them from the blanket to touch the crimson-red tail sticking out from the chaperone, and with a caress of his check while taking a closer look at his ruby eyes.

"I finally remembered who you resemble. It was always on my mind since I've met you. When I was a young lass, I had the grace of meeting an important person, one of the Imperial Princes. That happened 60 years ago, it has been so long, but even now I remember the impression of His Majesty. He too had eyes similar to gemstones, with a warm gaze filled with compassion for others, and patience as he listened to others complaints. Child, could it be, you are?"

"Does it change anything for you if I am one of them?" asked Mathias, who didn't decline her thoughts, her contemplation about the past she lived and her unique meeting with one of the Saharan descendants.

"Not for me since I am just an old hag, but for this little lass, meeting you could change her future for the better."

The little girl who heard the old lady say that and also Mathias confirms such words, watched the styled gentleman warming her with his magical powers, with the Red Aura slowly losing in intensity as it entered their bodies.

"Child, I don't know if I would survive the winter cold, this is why, can I ask you for something?"

"You will survive this winter if you listen to me. But out of curiosity, what do you want to ask me?"

"Would you take little Joel with you and take care of her until she grows up to be independent. For some reason I feel secure knowing that you will look after her. Someone of your status will be able to keep her safe and offer her better chances compared to me. I will give you all the goods I've accumulated in my life."

"Keep them for the girl. I don't want them, and since you want me to take care of her, I will accept, but you will also come with me. Until the winter is over you two will be under my care. Do we have a deal?"

"Silly child, you got a deal." responded the old lady, as she felt better the entire time Mathias warmed her body.

{Boy, to think you would use my power in such ways, but now that I see you doing that it makes me look bad because I rarely ever used the powers in such ways.}

Ignoring what Haycien had to say, he tapped the old lady's shoulder and later the girl's head, and getting inside the stall, he started using his system inventory to suck up the entire goods to stash it away and later on give it back to the lady once spring came.

Yet Morpheus also had something to say, giving him a red warning, as if he was stealing the property of someone else, before not long calming down after receiving Ann's confirmation.

.

[You are trying to bring inside the inventory items that don't belong to you. User is restricted from proceeding without completing the acquisition steps.]

[Ding!] [Owner of the stall, NPC Ann, allows you to take the items. The amount of items will require a longer period of processing. You can skip this process by ignoring the processing steps. It is recommended you don't skip the processing steps.]

A question popped from the system that was rather simple and straightforward.

[Are you willing to skip the processing requirements? Yes | No]

'It doesn't matter, it is not like I expect to find some hidden treasures here. [Yes]'

.

Immediately with his response, the items began disappearing like ash, making the little girl panic telling Ann what was happening, to which the old woman, with a relieved expression, told her.

"Finally, I no longer have to worry about getting rid of that hurdle."

"Ohh, but you do, granny. Haven't I told you? I will keep you safe in the winter, and afterwards, may the light shine on you and keep you safe. Nevertheless, that girl, I will look after her."

"Just keep that garbage with you. I no longer need it, now that you relieved me of it. I can finally breathe at ease."

"You are saying as if something was hidden there that you kept away from others."

"Haha, there's no such thing in that pile of garbage, just sentimental values, but now there's no more."

The little girl in a brief moment couldn't no longer recognize the small shack acting as a stall, it was as if a ghost appeared and ravaged the entire place, devouring fully, her memories of this place.

"Well, we should get going. How is it, granny, did you get your strength back to walk?" asked Mathias from where he was standing, clearing out some annoying notifications from the system that gave him alerts about the items that were brought to his person.

"I actually do. Come child, let me be your guest for a little while. I am a good storyteller to fill your boredom, at least let me do this for you as you take care of me. Besides, I can tell that the winter will be strong for one more month before dying out." said Ann, as she got on her feet using some of Joel's support, and wrapping the blanket around her as if it was a coat, she took some steps around the empty stall.

"Even better than before. What witchcraft have you done, child? Are you really not a Saint along with being a Prince?"

"No. Also, those changes you feel right now, are temporary." replied Mathias as he took the first step forward, in a rather slow manner.

'What the? What's going on, I feel like some pressure is building on my back that wants to push me to the ground.'

{Maybe it is caused by the amount of items you took from the stall.}

'Right, let me check the system'

.

[Weigh: 45.320/20.250]

[Alert!] [You have surpassed the normal limit of the system. You have 24 hours to clear your inventory to the normal parameters your body allows. In the contrary of the situation, your goods will be destroyed until you are back to the allowed limit]

.

'Ulala, so this is what happens when you exceed the weight limit? You become Son Goku in the gravity chamber? Damn, my items also get to be removed for good? Isn't this stupid?'' thought Mathias who walked forward in a slow manner, so slow that it made the old and young worry about the young man's whose complexion changed, turning paler.

In the end his route back to home, luckily for him rather sort, ended similarly to a pilgrim who took his time to reach Mecca or Jerusalem as the ones in the medieval age did in the distant past.

When he got back home with Ann and Joel, the first thing entering his eyes was a tall tree standing upright fitted into the ground surrounded by children, three guys along with a small creature that were moving their hands to blow steam, and other two women, one with ink-black hair and the second with golden hair.

"Boss, where have you been?! You left us to work extra and plant the tree in the ground, lucky for us this small guy digging skills are impeccable, and made it easier. Little guy, you have to remind us to buy you some golden stones for good luck."

@Mathias: I got my inventory full, out of capacity and got penalized for it, thus the delayed return. Can I ask you another favor?

@Red: If it is helping out with the inventory, sure, but it will cost. I got bullied by those damned guards and my money got taken just because of this tree.

@Mathias: I will pay you back, don't worry. Just help me later or I will evolve into another form soon.

@Red: Hahaha, sounds interesting, maybe I will try getting my inventory full too. Even now I don't understand that system and how the weight of items is calculated.

.

Besides the guys who were planning the relieving plan, Fayrene and Jeanne turned to see Mathias accompanied by the grandma and granddaughter, who to her felt rather familiar, and after Mathias told her in quick detail what happened she immediately went to take care of the new guests.

"Granny Ann, come, let me help you around. We got warm tea inside."

"It is you, little girl. No need to treat me so nicely, just a warm place will do. Joel, come greet those ladies. We'll be in their care for now."

The little girl greeted Fayrene and Jeanne in a shy way, following her grandmother's steps as she entered the house, where later on Mathias collapsed on the snowy ground, imprinting his body on the ground, and as it did, he also got pressed into the ground.

"Damn it. James get here, it got even worse. Morpheus wants to kill me for breaking the limit. All the items that don't get removed in a couple of hours will be deleted."

"That stupid bastard, he dares. Lane, Evan come here, we need to rescue Mathias from getting his precious items removed from the game."

"What the? What's going on? Did we get into some bug?"

"It's not a bug, it's just me getting over the limits the game allows. Now buckle up because I will give you items randomly, those come from the old lady."

.

.

.

[Your thoughts about this chapter?]

 

24