Chapter 5: The very bad knights
45 4 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

ch5.png

These guys look so tough. Just play it cool, you're just on your way to meet a friend, that's all. Just tell them that.

When the guard approaches me, he speaks, "Why do you not bow down?" Not knowing what to do, I do as he says and get on my knees. "What is this?" the guard is not pleased.

"I'm bowing."

"Do you not know the protocol? Do you want to lose your head?"

"I don't understand."

"Very well then," he unsheathes his wide sword, "do not blame me for your incompetence." He swings his sword, but before he can chop off my head, I pull out my shield to deflect it. The impact was so great, I stagger, almost losing my balance. Whoa, that was intense.

When I get up, I pull out my sword and get in a defensive stance, but he just looks at me and laughs. "Do you jest? You have no idea what you are doing, do you? You fool, come here."

Another swing from his sword and I deflect it with mine, but again, I stagger back. This guy is so strong. I pull out my shield and deflect any oncoming attacks. It's no use. What can I do? He's barraging me with attacks and all I'm doing is blocking them with my shield. I got to do something. I got to look for an opening.

"I've had enough of this shield." His sword starts to glow red. What does this mean? I can hear the rest of his procession behind him all chuckling and murmuring to each other.

"That kid is done for."

"He really thinks he can fight us?"

"It's a waste of magic, Elric. Not even 1 MP is worth it."

"I bet that lad wished he didn't mess with someone who ate a Divine Crisp."

He ate what?

His sword swings downward and smashes against my shield. The impact felt like my arm was about to shatter into pieces. Even my shield has a deep scratch on it. Oh crap, at this rate, I'm going to die.

No way! I'm getting out of here. I turn around and run off as fast as I can, hearing everyone's laughter behind me. I run deep into the forest, I don't care if I get lost, I had to get out of there.

After running for who knows how long, I finally stop and take a rest. I drop my weapons and bag as I lay on the ground. The monsters here were nothing, but those guys looked like trouble. That guy alone was going to murder me. His sword, glowing red, it must be magic. There's no way I can take him on at this rate.

Here I am, in a strange forest, tired. After fighting all those weak monsters, I feel kind of ashamed running away from a tougher opponent. But this is no time for bravado of any kind. I need to meet up with everyone else. Stephanie may be waiting for me. My friends are all waiting for me.

And... Ronna...

Yeah, she's the big bad, isn't she? And I'm supposed to defeat her? I mean, I was the only one who stood up to her back home, right? But this is not the same thing as bullying someone in school. She was a complete psycho back then, now she is the strongest person in this world? And considering I couldn't fight some guy in armor, what chance do I have against her? I'm the so-called destined hero or something. All because of potato chips. That just sounds so weird.

"There you are," oh no, they found me. The knights surrounding me in a circle as I get my gear and get up. "No running away this time."

"Why are you attacking me? Who are you guys?"

"We are The Dark Knights of the Holy Order of Light Serving the Divine Crisps of the Malevolent Overlord with the Blessings of the Accursed Cheddar Cheese and Cream of Sour."

What the hell? What's with the ridiculous webnovelesque name? And what's with the contradictory words added in? But I heard one thing clear. Seeing the banners, how this guy ate a chip and that ridiculous name. I get it now. "Are you some kind of faction for these... uhh... Divine Crisps?"

"What a foolish boy. You know not of our sacred bag, do you? Look you fool!"

All the soldiers make a pathway in the middle, including the leader on horseback, to reveal an altar.

ch5b.png

"Is this for real?" I say in befuddlement.

"Do not let your eyes deceive you. That is indeed the most divine of foods. A gift from the gods themselves. The Divine Crisps. Look at how magnificent and beautiful it is. Few mortals can attain such delicacies. We have been blessed for certain."

"You really worship a bag of chips?"

Everyone gasps, "What a tone! The gods will strike you down for sure! Pay some respect, boy. HEY! WHAT ARE YOU DOING!" As he was talking and everyone was bowing, I just walk up to the altar, took the bag, and pop it open.

"HEATHEN!"

"I'm an atheist," I tell them as I take a chip. But before I could bite it, a sword nearly slices me as I drop the bag of chips and jump back. It was from the leader on his horse who gets in front of the bag.

"Level 21," he says, "yet such a high attack stat."

"You can read my stats?"

"You must be the one that Empress Ronna was talking about. Her former lover turned traitor. Same Manuals."

3