Chapter 8: The King and the King of Thieves
16 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

ch8a.png

(Rother POV)

The King of Thieves, that is I, Rother.

I am in allegiance with myself, no Kingdom tells me what to do. Not even the evil Overlord shall be my master. I've always lived the way I wanted, but as a thief, I am limited to how I can live. That's why I decided to build my own army and become the greatest thief of all time. And there's no better way to do this than by increasing my stats.

But training is so hard and slow going. No matter how many times I fight and train, my stats only go up bit by bit, especially when I'm this high of a level. No potion increases my stats permanently, all magic wears off eventually, not even equipment can aid me as I can only wear so many before I run out of slots. Even then, all these methods only increase your stats by a paltry margin. Surely there has to be a better way.

And just as I was thinking about what black arts I needed to increase my stats, visitors from another world had come and were augmented beyond our capabilities. They had with them edibles that in a single bite would increase their power 10 fold. It was like a miracle that had come to us. Now the world has lost its mind as everyone is now aiming to find them all and become the most powerful beings in all of Crum. Well, if this bag that I found is any indication, then it is with good reason that the world is going through this hysteria.

And thus, when I heard Oogle report that he smelled something, I was intrigued.

"Is trues, I tells you! I smells it! I smells it, I did!"

"What was it? Which flavor?"

"BBQ! It was BBQ for sures! But I founds no bag. I founds no crispies!"

"Then perhaps someone ate it. Could you confirm the source?"

"Nay, sir. I know not where it came from."

"Then I'll just simply assume it was consumed. How strong was the smell?"

"Faint, sir, but still I smells it just fine."

"Then they must have eaten a great quantity some time ago. Interesting. Good Job, Oogle. How about a treat?"

"Yes, master! Please, one more crispies!" He crawls on the ground like the disgusting dog he is. I take out a a single sweetened crisp with onion flavor from my bag. The disgusting fool was slobbering everywhere with the promise of something nice. I just nip a piece of it and toss it to the ground. Oogle pounces on it and starts eating it, dirt and all. Seeing as that wasn't enough, he starts licking the ground. The stupid fool. But I do not blame him. I already ate one bag and the result was incredible, but your stomach goes through a torturous experience. But it was worth it in the end.

"Pearson," I speak to my second right-hand man, "you sent out men to follow them, correct?"

"Of course, sir Rother."

"Good. Make sure you keep a watch on them. Once they are alone again, I'd like to confirm myself about this smell that Oogle detected."

ch8b.png

(Manuals POV)

Like out of some kind of illustration, I arrive at a medieval town, a real one. Everyone was dressed in the same clothes I was wearing, selling wares and produce on the streets in front of tall buildings, some made out of wood and others stones. It was bustling with people haggling and bargaining, children running around playing, and even entertainers singing and dancing. But even more amazing was my destination, an actual castle. The only castle I've been in was the one in Disneyland, but this was the real deal. I shouldn't be surprised that it was the tallest building in the city, but I couldn't help but be in awe of it.

Upon entering, Elric was sent to an infirmary and they sent my items to a room reserved for me. A chance to check out my room was postponed as I was summoned to the throne room immediately. A real King? Really? I'm still in awe that I'm in a castle, but now I'm meeting actual royalty. I swear this is all a dream and wonder if I'm going to wake up any moment now.

And thus I enter the throne room where I meet the King.

ch8c.png

"Bow down," instructs my guide. I do as he says and get on my knee, only to hear murmurs from everyone else. "Sir Manuals, bow down."

"I am," but my guide looks confused. In fact, everyone was looking uncomfortable, some even angry. "Your majesty, forgive him." What is going on? Am I not bowing correctly?

"Why do you ask of him to bow to me?" the King replies, "It should be I who bows to him."

"Your Majesty, you can't."

"Get up, visitor. You need not bow down to me." Seeing as I wasn't doing it right, I get right back up to my feet. "So, you are the last one, the final visitor, and our only hope left."

And I respond, "So I've heard."

"Listen well, young man. Your companion, the Priestess, awaits you in her chamber, but for the time being, I wanted to see if you truly are the legendary warrior that she speaks of." What could Steph have possibly said about me? In what context even? "You have the gift as well? The Divine Crisps from your world, you had some, yes?"

"Yes, I did," I answer without feeling weird about it. I guess this is starting to be normal to me.

"To think, our saviors would come at such a time. The evil Overlord is now amassing an army, and you have been summoned here in our time of need. We are in your debt, oh visitor."

"Sure, no problem."

"Tell me... do you happen to have any on you?"

"No. I ate all of mine."

"But have you found any on your travels?"

"No sir, I have not. I just left Major Abode."

"I see... I see... Well, I will not keep you any longer. Do see the Priestess. She is eager to see you once again."

"Very well sir... uhh... thank you, your majesty..." I don't know the protocol for this, but I figured since he dismissed me, it's okay to just say that.

With all that said, my guide takes me to see Steph.

0