Chapter 90: The Award Ceremony and a Party.
361 16 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Echoes of Fire and Shadows

Chapter 90: The Award Ceremony and a Party.


—Julius's POV—

Several more days passed after meeting the Gods of Earth and me finally waking up in my actual body in the material realm.

I'd like to say that things were uneventful during that time, but that would be a massive lie.

For starters, I confirmed that just like my adoptive mother had hinted, both Liliana and Luna had feelings for me. Luna decided to make things even clearer for me after stealing my first kiss, something which even Mia hadn't done.

Leaving aside the big cat fight that little incident caused between Liliana, Luna, Mia and Karen, everything was pretty good with my engagement with the twins since everyone else was already on the assumption that I would marry the twins as well sooner rather than later.

Though, I believe we shouldn't have done such a thing in front of Marie… She got quite depressed and we had to comfort her afterward. Not that I had a problem doing that, of course.

As for my parents and everyone else… I was surprised to see that no one scolded me or even blamed the situation on me, even though I was clearly at fault for letting my own power dominate me.

It made me feel even more guilty to see how relieved everyone was after the fact, so I decided to do everything in my power to earn forgiveness in the best ways I could, much to my family's dismay.

Speaking of which, ever since I woke both Sarana and Laura became a little more affectionate with me. They were already affectionate to begin with, but you could say that we got a little closer on the following days after I was awakened.

Which is good in my opinion because Earthlings have to stick together in this world.

Also, everyone accepted Karen quicker than I thought after I explained her circumstances. Laura and Sarana were really happy to have another woman from Earth in the same household, so that was also a plus.

Anyway… After dealing with my family and whatnot, I had to deal with the repercussions of my actions, which were basically the other girls I charmed during the tournament… There was also the annoying guy who wanted to buy my family's business, Klaus Caletro, who happened to be Alicia's uncle, but we can leave that for another time.

So, in short, since I charmed quite a number of important noble girls who might or might inherit their families' titles, the entire nobility was in uproar about the situation.

To them, it seemed like I was using those girls to gain unbridled amounts of political power and titles for my own benefit. The nobles were completely outraged.

It took my father and mother as well as Ophelia to calm down all of those nobles with diplomacy. It was a huge headache for my parents until my father got tired of that circus and threatened the nobles to shut up until I woke up or they would be finding out why he is the Skull Crusher.

So, to make a long story short, I will be meeting the parents of my fiancées very soon.

There's also the little funny fact that I was unable to leave the house until now due to the overwhelming amounts of people trying to meet me, but we can also leave that story for another day.

All of that would lead us to the present. Since I was unconscious for ten days and I needed several more days to recover, the award ceremony for the tournament was postponed for my sake. 

Until now, that is.

"You may enter, champion." An imposing voice called me from the other side of the gigantic door in front of me.

"Yes." I said as I pushed the door and opened it effortlessly.

As soon as I did that, I was met by the sight of the grandiose hall of the throne room. In front of me, a luxurious red carpet extended from the entrance of the room toward the throne of the Marcelian Empire.

There were people standing on both sides of the red carpet, all of which were staring quite intently.

"Julius Navar has arrived, your Majesty." I announced my arrival to the throne room while kneeling toward the person sitting at the throne. "May I continue?" I asked while lowering my head.

I was not particularly amused with all of this protocol for the award ceremony, but it wasn't that big of a deal at the end of the day. 

The ones who weren't happy about this situation where I had to kneel were Remillia and Ash. The two sentient weapons were quite pissed off actually.

"You may raise your head and continue, son of the Skull Crusher." The imposing voice of the Emperor echoed in the room.

"Understood." As soon as I heard those words, I stood up and walked slowly toward the throne at the end of the long hall.

On the left side of the endless red carpet stood a group of nobles. There were a few familiar faces over there, mainly Neris, Zoe, Felicia, the Oriana sisters, Myria, Alberis, Renard and Klaus (Alicia's uncle).

The rest were unknown to me. Some of them were looking at me with disdain. Some others were looking at me with admiration and awe. And lastly, there was a small group that was looking at me with greed, a few malicious noblemen who wished to use me for their purposes and a few noblewomen that wanted to have me in their possession.

I didn't allow their gazes or their whispers to affect me as I walked. I greeted those I knew with a discreet nod before looking in the opposite direction of the nobles.

On the right side of the carpet stood my family and friends. My parents, my fiancées, Leaf, Laura, Sarana as well as their friends Emily, Douglas, Felix and Mark.

Everyone was standing there with immense pride on their faces. The only ones that weren't here were Karen and Marie.

Marie didn't want to come back to the castle after Eliana's death and surprisingly, Karen offered to stay behind to care for Marie. Apparently she didn't like this type of environment due to her time in Asgard and Olympus.

I was a little saddened that Karen couldn't be here, but I was grateful for her compassion towards Marie.

Anyway, it didn't take long before I reached the end of the hall and found myself in front of the throne. Everything surrounding the throne was at a different height compared to the rest of the hall. 

It was more than likely that its purpose was to give the impression that the Emperor was above everything in the Empire.

I promptly kneeled at the edge of the stairs while looking ahead.

There were two thrones in front of me. One for the Emperor and one for the Empress, both equally luxurious in nature. Naturally, the two rulers were using their seats in this ceremony.

Behind the thrones of the two monarchs stood their most important servants and the princesses of the Empire.

With the exception of the tenth princess, a baby who was being carried by her mother the Empress, the princesses all stood from oldest to youngest near the two thrones.

Marina was the one standing closer to the Emperor as she was his heir and Alicia was further away due her being the second to last in the line of succession.

Both the First and Ninth princesses had been stealthily breaking protocol by happily waving at me without a care in the world. Something that they only were able to do because all the attention in the room was on me.

It was the first time that we had seen each other since the tournament, so it was only natural for that to happen.

I was quite happy to see both Marina and Alicia, but there was something strange about them and their sisters. I could sense the same immense power I once had felt from Eliana within each of the princesses.

"Once more, you may raise your head, son of Skull Crusher." The Emperor commanded me.

"Yes. Thank you very much, your Majesty." I did my utmost for my manners to be perfect. I couldn't disappoint my teacher, after all.

The Emperor simply nodded in response before proceeding. He gave another nod to a familiar man who was holding a sword in its sheath. 

The man looked awfully similar to Renard so it was safe to assume that the man was his father as well as the prime minister of Marcel.

The man silently offered the sword to the Emperor before taking a good look at me. I could see that he was somewhat conflicted. There was both respect as well as caution in his eyes.

He doesn't seem to trust me very much… Well, after what happened during the finals, it is understandable.

"We are here reunited to commend the actions of this young boy. This boy won one of the most sacred tournaments for our youths while he also defeated the once thought unbeatable four-time champion, Alberis Nebandia…" The Emperor rose from his throne with the sword in hand. "He not only has brought honor and glory to his family's name and his own, he has brought glory toward us all. He brought a glorious victory toward the Empire as the champion of my daughters. You have fought well, child." The Emperor spoke eloquently as he stood in front of me.

He slowly unsheathed the blade he held in his hand. As the blade came into view, I was able to discover something shocking with my special eyes.

There were faint traces of Golden Awakening's mana around the blade. These traces were so faint that I could barely perceive them. If my eyes hadn't evolved, I would have never discovered these traces. 

(Ash… Is that…?) I asked with some caution.

(A part of my physical body? Yes.) Ash was quick to confirm my suspicions. (I'm actually surprised to see that the rest of my fragmented body is here in this very room… What are the odds!) Golden Awakening seemed amused.

(The rest of your body? What exactly do you mean by that?) I inquired.

(Oh. Do you remember how I told you that I was forced to abandon my physical body in order to meet you? And how I was the main weapon of our Creator?) Ash answered with another question.

(Yes… What of it?) I was confused.

(Well, if my suspicions are correct and everything went according to plan. The creator gave to the Hero Rokkshar a fake demon killing sword and some other powerful weapons and accessories made with the remnants of my power and his. The same sword, weapons and accessories that the Emperor and his daughters have on them right now.) Ash explained with some detail, only to leave me more confused.

As I looked forward, I noticed that Ash was right. Marina was holding the same rapier that had once belonged to Eliana. All the other princesses, including the baby, were wielding other types of weapons or wearing strange accessories.

(Ummm… What? Why would my ancestor give anything to Rokkshar? Weren't they mortal enemies?) I asked with extreme confusion.

(Ah… I shouldn't have said that. I wasn't supposed to reveal that just yet…) Ash sounded like he had screwed up everything big time. (Sorry master, can you pretend I didn't say anything?) He asked.

(Like hell I can! You have to elaborate on that right now! You can't just mention something so important and then ask me to forget!) I was so filled with confusion and shock that I actually almost screamed.

Fortunately for me, to the rest of the world, I only seemed to be nervous instead of shocked. The Emperor was finishing a speech while holding the sword in front of him.

Unfortunately for me, I didn't have any more time to focus on the shocking words of the sentient weapon within me.

"For those reasons and more, I, as the Emperor of Marcel, shall reward this young boy for his bravery and his swiftness in combat." The Emperor said as he finished his speech. "Thou shalt get three rewards. These rewards are only possible due to the grace of the gods and our heroic ancestors. You have honored them all with your efforts, but you must show them proper gratitude, young one." The Emperor looked at me with a serious expression.

"Those words honor me, your Majesty. I shall humbly accept these rewards and show my gratitude by making an offering." I followed the protocol to the letter just like Professor Tian had instructed me to.

"Very well." The Emperor nodded in understanding. "Your first reward shall be a proper title. With this title, your standing will be elevated, but it also comes with burdens and responsibilities alongside your new privileges as a member of the nobility." He explained.

"I shall do my utmost to fulfill these responsibilities." I said.

"I expect no less." He replied. "You will receive the title that I once offered your father. You and your family will have the elevated standing of Dukes." The Emperor declared something outrageous.

Ehh? Did I hear that correctly? A Duke? I will be a Duke? An actual Duke? I was told that he would make me a baronet or a baron at most!

Naturally, everyone in the room was left speechless for a moment. That was before shouts of pure indignation came from the side of the nobles.

"Silence." The Emperor raised his voice. He was imposing enough to shut up the noblemen with a single word.

The room was swiftly silenced once more.

"It seems I didn't explain myself properly." The Emperor sighed. "Although I said that he will have the standing of a Duke, he will not receive such title just yet. I need someone I can trust to develop the dangerous region of Falgren. Who else is better suited for the task than the son of the powerful Skull Crusher?" The Emperor elaborated on his thoughts to convince the nobles.

Ah… I see… So he plans to give the entirety of the forest to me… The territory is too big to give to a simple baron or a baronet, so that is why he is giving me such a title. Falgren is big enough to be its own kingdom after all.

"If the boy manages to develop one of the most dangerous regions of our country, then the title I once offered to the Skull Crusher shall be his right. Until then, he shall carry a temporary title." The Emperor said. "Until then, you shall be the Count of the ruined county of Nerua. " He looked at me with a bored expression after saying something outrageous.

The Ruined County of Nerua…? Is he fucking with me now? Is this some sort of revenge for what I said to him during the finals?

Nerua was once one of the most prosperous territories in the Empire from its early days until the rebellion of the Heroes during the civil war 70 years ago.

The city of Tristh was its capital, the center of its power. Due to its strategic location on the southern end of the continent, trade prospered in its harbors with countless amounts of gold and materials flowing endlessly into its warehouses.

Not only that, but thanks to their diplomatic prowess and their contributions in the Thousand-Year War, House Nerua was able to maintain their county independent ever since its foundation until their tragic destruction at the hands of the traitor Hero Valciar.

It is said that Valciar used his all-powerful magic to poison the land. Similar to what happened with Bass and the True Demons in the Forbidden Continent, almost all life was extinguished in the region. All members of House Nerua perished by Valciar’s hands and only a bunch of the territory’s citizens survived the catastrophic betrayal.

Ever since the last civil war, there have been many nobles who tried to make a claim upon Nerua to restore the territory to its former glory, only to fail miserably and die in the unforgiving wastelands of Nerua or to go completely broke.

That is the reason why Nerua is known as the ruined county.

“Shall you prove worthy and I determine that you have sufficiently developed Falgren, you will get the title of Duke. You will also be the ruler of Nerua if you see yourself up to the challenge to revive such dangerous territory after Falgren.” The Emperor spoke to me with amusement.

Due to his words, I could see that quite a lot of people on my side were giving the monarch the stink eye. Mainly Marina and Alicia as well as my adoptive parents and my great grandfather.

“Do you accept this title?” The Emperor was unbothered by the glares. He simply placed his blade upon my shoulder.

Well… It is not like I can reject the offer to rule over Falgren. If anything, it will be beneficial for the things that I want to do over there. And I have also been low-key developing the region to improve my family’s quality of life, so it is not like things will change much.

I’m already a prince so the title of duke doesn’t mean that much to me anyway. Since we have already threw caution to the wind, might as well use this title to my advantage.

“I humbly accept this task, your Majesty.” I replied while lowering my head once more.

“Then from today onwards until you fulfill your task, you shall be known as Count Julius Navar, first of your name.” The Emperor declared while moving his blade toward my other shoulder. 

As the Emperor said those words, cheers and claps began to echo in the room. Even those who didn’t like the fact that my standing was raised so high were cheering and clapping. An undeniable proof of the Emperor’s authority over the nobles.

“You shall create your own coat of arms, the symbol of your house, as well as a flag and a hymn to inspire your people. I suggest that you adopt a second name and also that you establish an order of knights for your territory. Your strength is the strength of the Empire. Our unity is what will keep our empire standing for the millennia to come.”

“I am grateful for your words, your Majesty.”

“Of course, since you’re still a minor. Most of your responsibilities as a lord will fall upon your parents who shall act as your regents until you come of age. You shall enjoy your youth and use your time to grow appropriately.” The Emperor was surprisingly nice when he said those words.

“I understand.” I nodded after raising my head.

“Now, as for your second reward… It shall be knighthood.” The Emperor declared. “All nobles without exception are knights under my name, but you shall not be. You will serve under my daughter once she rises to claim the throne. She will determine your responsibilities, but until that you shall act on your own accord, hopefully for the sake of our country.” He pressed his blade against my shoulder again.

Sigh… It seems that in the end, Eliana actually got what she wanted… Well, at least we weren’t kidnapped and we weren’t forced to serve Marina under those conditions… Clever witch, may she rest in peace.

Now all the efforts we put to avoid this situation seem kinda pointless, but I suppose that is the funny side of life. At least this time I am doing it out of my own volition and it is not like I will have to stay in the capital as a nameless servant.

“I shall do my utmost to protect the citizens and the country.” I gave a short yet determined answer.

“Good.” The Emperor nodded. “Then, as a knight, you shall be known as the Knight of the Winds and Thunderclap. Additionally, the church of Marcel wishes to give you the name of the Saint of the Scythe. Commonly, knights only get one nickname, and also I am aware that the people refer to you as Skull Kid in honor of your father, but given your impressive achievements it was decided that you’d receive three official nicknames. I am certain that you shall wear them as your medals of honor.” 

“I am once more honored by your kindness.” I replied.

“As you should.” The Emperor nodded with a bored expression on his face. He seemed to be getting tired of this ceremony. “As for your final reward, I was told by my oldest daughter that you have a great interest in learning. Thus, I shall allow you unrestricted access to all levels of the Imperial Library." He dropped another outrageous remark.

Some of the nobles behind me seemed to want to protest as I began to hear whispers of discontent, but they immediately quieted down with a single glare of the Emperor.

"Knowledge is the greatest power a person can have. I hope that this reward benefits you and helps you in your task, Count." The Emperor said after clearing his throat.

"This is one of the greatest gifts I have received. I'll do my utmost to put it to good use." I replied as I ignored some of the glares I received.

The Emperor nodded in agreement while putting his sword back on his sheath.

"With this, the award ceremony has concluded. You may stand proudly, Count Navar. Today, a new noble house was born." The Emperor concluded the ceremony by offering me his hand.

I gracefully accepted his offer and rose from the ground. With the Emperor and I standing beside one another, the crowd began to cheer and clap once more.


After the award ceremony ended, everyone was led toward an enormous dining hall. 

As per royal custom, after a reward ceremony a party would follow in the honor of the rewarded person. This was also a party in the honor of the princesses due to their graduation from the Academy.

There were several tables filled with luxurious and extravagant foods as well as servants delivering drinks to the thirsty guests of the castle.

The atmosphere in the hall was merry and filled with joy, mostly due to the sweet tunes played by the live orchestra in the background.

After the already mentally exhausting award ceremony, I was facing yet an even more exhausting task… Socializing.

To put it more clearly, I had to get acquainted with all of the nobles that were present here in the imperial castle.

"It was such a magnificent victory. Your participation in the tournament was like a breath of fresh air for all of us. That should teach our younglings to not get so overconfident with their stagnant strength. They need to put up some real effort. Speaking of that, may I inquire how you became so strong at such a tender age, Lord Navar? What is your secret?" A seemingly kind bearded old man was trying to ingratiate himself with me.

The man was a baron in the Casca Earldom… In other words, a neighboring noble.

"I'm afraid that there is no secret other than training diligently each day, my lord." I replied politely.

Just like the old man in front of me, there were still dozens of nobles that wanted to get their grasps on me to engage in dreadfully long and pointless small talk.

I had been warned that most nobles were greedy creatures. So far, that statement had been proven true with most of the nobles I had met in this party. When I talked to them I clearly noticed that they weren't particularly interested in me as a person, but in which way I could be most useful to them.

Some have already tried to offer me their daughters for marriage. Something that I swiftly declined since I am already in trouble with some other nobles because of what happened in the tournament with a certain group of young noble ladies…

Anyway, fortunately for me, I was not left alone to deal with these greedy nobles.

“Oh my, we appreciate your presence and your multitude of questions, Baron Ranel, but unfortunately there are still some other lords that wish to meet my champion. I also would refrain from asking questions such as those to our new Count. While he might not take it personally, others might see it as your esteemed self trying to take advantage of an upcoming young noble.” Marina spoke to the old man with grace and kindness. She was essentially telling him to fuck off.

“Ah, my apologies, your Highness. It is true that my simple curiosity might be seen by others as an attempt to make use of our young Count. I apologize from the bottom of my heart, Count Navar.” The old man bowed to me while pretending to be sorry about his actions. “I shall take my leave then. I hope that we can have cordial relationships in the future, Lord Julius. I can also introduce you to my granddaughter. She’s the same age as you and she’s quite beautiful. She would love to meet you. Perhaps love could bloom between you”

Yet another girl offered to me for a political marriage… Let’s reject it swiftly,

“My apologies Baron. I’m certain that your granddaughter is lovely, but unfortunately I cannot agree to such a request. I hope we can still maintain a good relationship in spite of that.” I bowed to apologize.

“It is as our champion says. Due to his actions during the tournament, it wouldn’t be wise to try to arrange a marriage between your granddaughter and the esteemed count. There are several noble girls already engaged to him. Their parents reached an agreement with the Count’s father not so long. So your idea would not only ruin said agreement, but it would also complicate everything even further. Please understand.” Alicia bowed to the Baron with me. She spoke with a mix of elegance and innocence.

“But of course. Please don’t mind me. It was just a mere idea concocted by this humble old man. I shall continue to enjoy the party. Farewell.” The old man quickly took his leave after being refused by me and the princesses.

Just like I said, I was not alone to deal with the nobles that wanted to use me. I was graced by the heavens to have Marina and Alicia by my side to deal with these guys.

For this joyous occasion, Marina and Alicia had changed into some new dresses after the award ceremony. Marina was wearing a pink gown and Alicia a green one. Both gowns simply looked great on the two princesses.

Back on topic, my parents had originally offered to help me with this, but after I told them that I would be alright and that the princesses had offered to do the same, they decided to pursue more important endeavors. Which endeavors?

Well…

They are presently tearing a new one to the Emperor after his little stunt. The one about me becoming a Duke in the future since my father rejected the title back in the day. They were not happy in the slightest about it.

I mean, we were all expecting me to get a minor title and knighthood, not the highest title that a person outside the royal family could receive. The one who has to pay the most taxes, who has to take care and maintain more territory and the one who has to provide more men for the Imperial Army. Basically, instead of a reward, I will receive a huge bunch of obligations that I never asked for if I manage to develop Falgren like the Emperor wants.

Such a position obviously has huge benefits, but still, my parents didn’t like this stunt one bit.

“I’m getting tired of this… I’m hungry.” I couldn’t prevent myself from letting out a sigh.

“Hang in there, Julius. There’s only a few nobles left that wish to become acquainted with you.” Alicia got close to me and whispered in my ear. Her voice was filled with warmth and kindness.

“You’ve done well, Julius. Your manners have been impeccable and you have gracefully dealt with all the nobles that came to meet you so far. I think you are a natural at this.” Marina also leaned closer to me and whispered in my other ear. She didn’t forget to give a quick wink.

Well, it is only natural for me to be used to this kind of thing… I’m a prince myself after all. Although the manners in this country are far too different from mine, dear gods I had really forgotten how much I hated this kind of thing as a young child…

“It is all thanks to your support though. I don’t think I would have been too kind with them if they became persistent. It is good to have the princesses serve as a deterrent.” I laughed awkwardly. “Though, more than a deterrent, I’m just happy to have people I trust by my side in this situation.” I smiled at the two princesses.

“Ehh… Erm… Is that so…?” Alicia immediately blushed due to my words.

“Naturally. Just leave it all to me!” On the contrary, Marina was puffing her chest with pride while looking quite confident. She also had a minor blush on her cheek.

Alright… With these two, it will be easy to deal with the remaining nobles. Let’s put an end to this and find somewhere quiet to eat and rest for a bit! 

Unfortunately for my plans, that would not be possible as the next nobles I had to deal with were not people I could brush off easily…

In short, I had been cornered.

"You're getting quite affectionate with the princesses, aren't you? You should be doing that with your fiancées." A familiar feminine voice reached my ears.

"I agree. We deserve compensation." Another feminine voice agreed with the first.

As soon as I lifted my head, I was welcomed by the sight of two pink-haired young ladies wearing two fine gowns. These ladies were sisters, the Oriana sisters to be more precise.

The older sister, Cassandra, was wearing a black gown with her hair tied in a long ponytail. It was strange to see her without her usual twintails, but she still looked quite gorgeous. She was also wearing a different eye patch, one that seemed more stylish and suited for the occasion.

As for the younger sister, Reina was wearing a pale blue dress which really suited her usual cold and aloof expression.

"Ah, it has been a few days since we have seen each other." I smiled before bowing at the two. "Cassandra, Reina, both of you look quite beautiful. Those dresses really suit you." I complimented them from the bottom of my heart.

"Now that's the proper way to greet your fiancees!" Cassandra smiled from ear to ear. "I suppose we should salute the new count properly as well."

"If he wanted to give us a proper greeting, I would have preferred a duel or a kiss, but I suppose a compliment is good enough for now." Reina complained.

Both sisters immediately grabbed the tips of their dresses and stood in reverence for me and the princesses.

“Perhaps, are the two of you jealous of us?” Marina asked in a somewhat competitive tone. “It is only natural that you would be. Considering that Julius will have to stay all evening with us given that he is our champion. I feel sorry for his new fiancées.” She almost seemed like a different person… It wasn’t like Marina to go and provoke others just like that.

“It is only natural for us to be affectionate with each other! He won the tournament for our sake! And we are also friends! This is normal between friends, isn't that right older sister?” Alicia asked as she suddenly linked her arm with mine.

“Oh? I didn’t know that we also had the Crown Princess as a rival…” Cassandra looked amused as she stopped bowing. “Even the second youngest princess too… It seems like our future husband is as shameless as we were told.” Cassandra laughed at her own words.

“I don’t like it though… I would rather have him for myself than you hoarding him all night.” Contrary to her sister, Reina was not particularly amused. She seemed to be the jealous type… “I suppose we can resolve this matter the old fashioned way.” Her expression became menacing.

“Oh? Are you looking for a fight? Bring it on, Oriana. If it is for my champion and best friend, I won’t lose to anyone.” Marina suddenly got fired up.

“You have no chance of winning! My older sister and I will blow you to bits!” Surprisingly, the usually tame Alicia was also looking for a fight.

Umm… What the hell happened to these two while I was unconscious? Oh… Right… Eliana is gone.

I feel a little sad now...

Forget about that, better diffuse this situation before things go south! A tag team battle between sisters is the last thing I need this evening!

“Alright, stop it. There will be no fight. If it was just a friendly duel, it would be fine by me. But please remember the time, place and occasion. This is hardly the place for that, and I won’t approve that you all start fighting because of me.” I suddenly found myself scolding the four noble ladies. “Please think of all the trouble I would get if I allowed such a thing to happen.”

All four of them looked at me with surprise before they all awkwardly lowered their heads. I was not surprised that Marina and Alicia listened to me, but I was really taken aback that Cassandra and Reina also listened. You know, since they got that whole shtick of battle lunatics going on for them.

Can’t say that I’m much better, but still!

“You’re right, Julius.” Marina spoke awkwardly. “I displayed something unbecoming of my status as a princess. I apologize for that Cassandra, Reina.” Marina bowed her head.

“Please don’t sweat it, your Highness. We were the ones inciting the whole thing, so you shouldn’t lower your head. We were in the wrong.” Cassandra quickly bowed in return. “Reina, you too.” She grabbed her sister’s head and forced her to bow.

“I get it… Let go of me. I’m sorry.” Reina was not particularly pleased but she apologized.

“Sigh… You don’t have to go this far either… It would be far better if you acted as friends, you know? Not that I will force you to do so, but I think you all would get along quite well. Of course, that would only happen if you don’t start fighting for me.” My level of mental exhaustion was reaching critical levels.

“I don’t mind. I won’t say that I haven’t given some thought to dueling the princess once or twice. I think we could both improve our skills if we fought.” Cassandra’s mind immediately went to her interest in battle. “So, if you’re alright with us, I would like to befriend her Highness.” Cassandra showed Marina an easygoing smile.

“I would be most pleased. Though, don’t think for a moment that you will win easily against me.” Marina smiled back at Cassandra.

“The most challenging battles are the most entertaining.” Reina nodded at Marina’s words.

“I… I want to fight too! Don’t leave me out!” Alicia was still fired up.

In the end, it seemed that the four of them still wanted to fight. But at least their energy was directed onto a more positive behavior… I guess?

“Hooh… To think that you would tame my beastly daughters so easily. As expected of the famous Skull Kid… Or should I call you Thunderclap from now on?” A manly voice suddenly got my attention.

As I turned my head, I was welcomed by the sight of a tall and somewhat muscular man. The man was around 1.95 meters tall and had a somewhat unfriendly and stern look on his face, which was filled with old battle scars. The man had pink eyes as well as pink hair, the distinctive features of the members of House Oriana.

The man was not alone though. He was accompanied by a short woman with short brown hair and blue eyes. The woman in question was around 1.60 meters tall and was wearing a modest purple dress. While her outward appearance seemed to show some gentleness, I could see it in her eyes that she was an experienced warrior. More than that, I could tell that she was dangerous right away.

There was no doubt about it, these two were the parents of the Oriana sisters. A small part of me wanted to fight them right then and there, but I obviously couldn't… I decided on the best course of action.

"You must be Lord Rago. I assume that the beautiful woman standing beside you is none other than your lady wife, Lady Sazan. As you know, my name is Julius Navar. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance." I bowed as I introduced myself to my future in-laws.

"Oh my, how polite." The woman giggled. "To think that my dumbass daughters would be able to snatch such a polite young man. And not to mention a strong one… I was beginning to lose my hopes, but to think that we would be graced with such a miracle!" The woman seemed pleased with me.

"Mother… Why are you making us seem like we are some sort of lunatics?" Reina asked with displeasure.

"Quite frankly, you're embarrassing us in front of Julius. Please leave us at once." Cassandra was equally displeased.

"Foolish daughters. Your mother was worried about your future. You have only given us grief by rejecting and mercilessly beating all the marriage candidates we sent your way." Lord Rago scoffed.

"Giving you grief? You said it yourself… That we could only marry someone stronger than us." Cassandra retorted.

"You also said that it would be even better if that person was stronger than you." Reina added.

"I did say such a thing. That is why I don't judge you for discarding those weaklings. Those with a weak will and a weak blade will not survive the ways of our House." Lord Rago nodded in agreement.

"If you agree with that then please leave us be. We want to enjoy our time with our beloved without you getting in our way. It is too embarrassing to have you here." Cassandra tried to shoo her father away.

"Cassie… I remember that I also told you that the only way to get what you want is with a sword in hand." Lord Rago spoke menacingly.

Both Cassandra and Reina immediately got into a fighting stance, following the example of their father dearest…

I couldn't help but exchange an awkward look with Marina and Alicia. Asking them silently if we should allow this to happen.

"Well, while you three are busy playing with each other. I suppose that it falls to me to put my new son-in-law to the test." Lady Sazan showed a smile of delight. "It's been awhile since I fought against a strong opponent, so please show me everything you got!" The woman licked her lips with anticipation before also taking a battle stance.

Ah… So this is my punishment for using the succubi charm… The whole Oriana family is really filled with battle lunatics…

It seems things will be a little hard on me from now on…

(Little help, Catris?) I pleaded to the goddess.

(Oh? Asking for help this early? Don't worry! Things are about to get much much fun for you!) The Goddess of Love replied with amusement.

(What do you mean by that…?) I asked nervously.

"Hold on for a minute!" A serious male voice suddenly echoed behind me.

Oh, dear gods… I have a bad feeling about this.

Just as Catris had said, things were actually going to get much more troublesome than before. It was a divine punishment for the misuse of the succubi charm. As I turned my head to look what the commotion was about, I was made very aware of the consequences of my own actions.

In short, the rest of the girls I had gotten engaged with during the tournament had appeared. All of them alongside their respective sets of parents…

“I should have expected as much from you Orianas… We had agreed that we would come together, yet here you are again stealing the march. Such disrespect for our agreement will make things difficult.” A man wearing plate armor reprimanded the Orianas.

The man had dark blue hair with some spots of gray, brown eyes and was around 1.75 meters tall… As I said, he was wearing a full suit of plate armor despite having little muscle to show off. Said armor was adorned with medals and a bright red cape. A longsword was attached to hip on his left side. The man was also wearing glasses, which only made his already serious expression seem more stern.

The man was known as the Viscount of the Black SteelPhilippe Shtrel. A renowned swordsman and commander of the army with a prestigious military background. He was Neris’s father.

Alongside the famous commander there were three more people. Three women to be more precise. 

One that I was very familiar with, Neris, one of my fiancées. Instead of her usual armor, she was wearing a blue dress that complimented her beautiful hair. She was looking at me with a troubled expression.

The remaining two were an older woman and a girl that seemed to be close to my age.

The older woman was Neris’s mother, Lady Medina. Just like her sister Ophelia, she had long blonde hair and a pair of green eyes. She was more or less the same height as her lord husband. Also, the woman was wearing a very expensive-looking gown. The dress had an open back design and showed a lot of cleavage… It was a difficult endeavor to find a safe place to look at.

As for the younger child, she was wearing a simple green dress. She was hiding behind Neris while looking at me and everyone else timidly. If I remember correctly, her name was Merida.

“Shtrel huh… Get in the line, we got here first. I know that you’re here because you wanted to fight the boy to measure your sword technique against his.” Lady Sazan clicked her tongue with annoyance. She still seemed to want to fight me.

“Certainly, I do wish to measure our sword styles against one another. I have heard and seen nothing but wonders about his Blade of Tranquility, but more importantly… This is the bastard who is trying to take my precious daughter away from me… I don’t care if my daughter loves him, I’m gonna mercilessly cut this precocious ladykiller down…” Lord Philippe took off his glasses and crushed them without mercy. He was looking at me with animosity.

“Dear… Didn’t we talk about this beforehand? Will I have to call Mr. Frederick to give you another beating to calm you down? I’m certainly not entirely happy about the circumstances of the sudden engagement between Neris and this boy, but we should still give him a chance, don’t you think?” Lady Medina, on the other hand, decided to be the voice of reason and tried to calm her husband.

“Sheesh… I can’t believe you’re still going on with that. Your daughter is already old enough to decide what she wants, no? The boy might be stronger than all of us here. Just with that alone, I’m quite happy for my daughter. A strong couple will leave strong children.” An easy going man walked over to Lord Philipe and patted his back. 

The man was a beastman. One of the wolfkin to be precise. The man was way taller than Philippe but not more than Lord Rago, standing at 1,82 meters tall. He was very muscular and athletic compared to the previous two. Just like a certain wolfkin girl I knew, he had blue hair and red eyes as well as a pair of canine ears on top of his head and a wolf tail attached to his back.

Compared to Lord Philippe who was wearing armor, this man was wearing a simple formal suit, but he didn't seem too comfortable with it.

The wolfkin man was Amadeus Arnault Gradisia, Felicia's father.

Behind him stood another pair of wolfkins. A mother and daughter duo. Felicia was clenching her teeth while blushing furiously while her mother seemed to be quite busy teasing her.

Both mother and daughter were wearing red dresses and they also didn't seem entirely comfortable with them.

Felicia’s mother's name was Renata Marei Gradisia. She had short brown hair and red eyes. She was around the same height as her daughter.

“Of course you would say that, you muscle brained wolf! You and I are different. Contrary to you, I won't accept someone like him for my daughter!” Lord Philippe pointed at me with annoyance.

“I think Amadeus is right. Strong couples leave strong heirs and strong heirs are best for our houses. Isn't it fine to let them be and let them experience their youthful love? Obviously, as adults it is our duty to guide them into the right path, but we also should not meddle just like that. Children have to learn to be independent. That is at least what my husband and I think on the matter.” Much to my surprise Lady Sazan decided to be the voice of reason this time. “Though, I'm still planning to fight the boy before all of you bastards, so get in line.” The woman looked at me and licked her lips in anticipation for the battle she wanted.

“That's fine by me. Renata and I will go after the rude guy with the glasses gets his ass kicked.” Lord Amadeus nodded gleefully while looking at his wife and daughter. “I will only accept someone strong for my dear Felicia, so I hope you're up to the challenge, Skull Kid.” Amadeus focused on me, showing a ferocious smile.

I could only look at Marina and Alicia to ask for their help, but unfortunately, before any of us could say anything back to defuse this situation, another one of my new in-laws decided to jump into the fray.

“Fighting this, fighting that… You're all muscle-brained morons, as usual.” A dwarven man spoke with great annoyance. “Seriously, you and these troublesome children will lead me to an early grave. To decide on their own accord to get engaged like that without even taking us into account… Who do they think they are?” The grumpy man loudly complained to the others.

The grumpy dwarf was obviously Myria’s dad. 

The man was no taller than 1.48 meters tall. He had long brown hair and a long and lush beard of the same color. Both his hair and beard were oiled and thoroughly taken care of, both decorated with golden beads and ornaments, that combined with the fact that he was wearing a very pompous-looking attire, told me that the man in front of me cared greatly for appearances.

We had just met and I already wasn't his biggest fan…

The dwarf was Baron Estner… Gerald Marek Estner.

Standing several steps away from her father, Myria was looking away in shame, trying to pretend she had nothing to do with her father. I couldn't blame her, honestly.

“Are you unsatisfied with our arrangement, Estner? You yourself set most of the conditions, didn't you?” Lady Sazan said not sounding very pleased with the dwarf.

“That's because I was given practically no choice in the matter. I was already working on an extremely beneficial marriage for my daughter, but this boy and you all threw all that work to the trash.” The dwarf looked at me with contempt.

With those words alone, I could see that the rest of the adults here and even Myria were starting to get somewhat hostile to the unfriendly baron.

It was the time for me to finally intervene… Or so I thought. Unfortunately, my troubles were only just starting…

Hohohoho! Lord Estner is as grumpy as usual!” An older woman spoke in a rather peculiar tone.

“Certainly! It wouldn't hurt him to be a little more jovial! Hohohohoho!” An older male laughed obnoxiously.

The situation was defused by the obnoxious laughter of the older man and the older woman. Those two were part of the most extravagant and obnoxious house in the entirety of the Empire… House Smotia. 

“Mother, father, please… You're going to embarrass me in front of Julius! You promised that you would stay quiet!” Zoe was blushing while staring at me with dismay.

“Sigh… Just leave them be, dear niece. You know how my sister and your father can get once they start talking. It was a miracle that they managed to stay silent for so long.” Dante, Zoe’s uncle, spoke in his usual depressed tone.

True to their family’s name and reputation, the Smotias were all wearing the most extravagant and expensive clothing that you could think of.

The older man, Lord Dorian Gran Smotia, was wearing an expensive blue robe with gold all plastered on top of it. The shirt and the pants beneath seemed to be made only with the finest of silks. He was also wearing round glasses.

The man in question was only 1.65 meters tall. He was the shortest of them all after Baron Estner. He had long red hair tied in a bun and a pair of blue eyes.

On the other hand, his wife Lady Mae Ateia Smotia, was dressing rather provocatively. Her red gown showed even more cleavage than the dress that Neris’s mother was wearing.

As for Zoe and Dante…

Zoe was dressing more modestly compared to her mother. She chose a simple purple dress which made her look quite cute.

Dante was wearing something akin to a tuxedo. It looked a little expensive, but it wasn't as extravagant compared to the others.

“So this is the one who defeated our family’s little genius… He looks quite feeble.” Lord Dorian adjusted his glasses as he analyzed my physique.

“But his mana and the aura around him is unlike anything I've ever seen… It is quite extraordinary!” Lady Mae added.

“That is true… I wonder how big his mana pool is… They said that he used incredible spells never seen before during the tournament…” Lord Dorian nodded before looking at me with increasing curiosity.

“Indeed! I won't be able to resist! I want to see those spells as close as I can! I'm afraid you have no choice in the matter, boy. If you wish to marry my precious Zoe, then you shall fight my husband and my esteemed self!” Mae pulled a wand out of nowhere and aimed it at me.

“You're about to experience the superb might of the Smotia household!” Dorian did the same as his wife…

Hohohohoho!” Both laughed in unison…

Oi! Does everyone want to fight me here?!

“Hey? Who the hell gave you permission to skip us? Get in line, Smotias! I'm going first!” Lady Sazan got extremely pissed off at the obnoxious family.

“That's right! If anything, I'm second in line!” Her husband, Lord Rago finally returned to the conversation after the fight with his daughters.

“Then I suppose that makes me third. What a bother to wait, but this should be entertaining!” Lord Amadeus smiled ferociously again.

“What do you mean that you're third? I'm the third! I have to teach a lesson to this punk for trying to steal my daughter!” Lord Philippe said to Amadeus with great annoyance.

“Fools… All of you! Can't you stop thinking about fighting?!” Lord Geralt shook his head with anger and disappointment.

Once again, as things began to escalate rapidly, I looked at the two princesses for help, but they looked just as troubled as I was…

“Oh my... Is this the way that the esteemed lords and ladies of such prestigious families treat their new son-in-law, the champion of my daughters?” A soft womanly voice interrupted the bickering nobles.

Everyone immediately turned their heads towards the owner of that voice. Most of the nobles here were left speechless for a second, before kneeling toward that person with respect. Most with the exception of Marina and Alicia.

Mother.” The princesses said in unison before making a slight reverence for the person in front of us.

The person who spoke was no one other than the Empress, her Majesty Eleonora Aurelia Marcel, Marina’s mother and Alicia's stepmother. She was the first wife of the Emperor. 

Eleonora looked just like her daughter Marina, but with the charm and allure that only an older woman can have.

Just like her daughter, she had long blonde hair that flowed loosely way past her hips and she had very long bangs that partially covered her left eye. She had a pair of gorgeous blue eyes, which were quite enigmatic.

She was wearing a robe on top of her modest dark blue gown. In her arms, she was holding a small baby quite dearly. The baby was Princess Rose, Marina’s youngest sister.

“There's no need to bow to me. This party is not for my sake, but for the sake of my daughters and their champion.” Lady Eleonora said as she looked at Marina and Alicia. “But of course, the main focus of this party is for the person that brought glory to their names and fought to defend their honor at such a tender age.” Lady Eleonora suddenly made eye contact with me. The woman was quick to smile at me.

All of my new in-laws, even the grumpy Lord Estner, had fallen completely silent. Was this due to the powerful influence of the Emperor? Or was it because the Empress already had a somewhat imposing presence by herself?

It didn't matter. I just knew that I was saved by her as soon as she arrived.

“I cannot allow you all to spoil the mood of the party for this honorable boy and the rest of the guests, especially after I went through the trouble of acting as mediator between you and the Skull Crusher and his wife.” The Empress spoke to the nobles with disapproval.

Damn… She made them shut up just like that… It seems I have much to learn for when I eventually become a monarch…

“And you, my dear boy, would you like to accompany me for a while? It must have been bothersome to deal with so many nobles, you must be tired.” The Empress said as she grabbed me by the arm. “Let's find somewhere quiet for you to rest, shall we?” The Empress said in a way that made me unable to refuse. She began to drag me away from the princesses, my fiancées and my in-laws.

“Umm… Yes…” That was the only thing I could say due to the awkwardness of the situation.

Uh-oh… This smells like trouble…

“Marina, Alicia you must come with us too. There's something I wish to speak to you two about in private.” Lady Eleonora said to her daughter as she walked.

“Ah… Y-Y-Yes!” Both princesses replied nervously as they rushed to catch up with their mother and I.

I had been saved from my in-laws thanks to Lady Eleonora, but I definitely had gotten into a new kind of trouble thanks to her… This might not end well for me.


Chapter 90: The Award Ceremony and a Party.

END

Heya! Author here, back with a new chapter! I hope y'all are doing well during the holidays and spending time with your family, friends and your loved ones. I've been doing well, but as usual, I have been really busy with my social life and my work as well as my family and also studying for my exams in June... So yeah, I don't have a lot to say right now, mainly due to lack of time.

The only thing I will say is that I wish you all to have some happy holidays and a happy new year. I hope that you can continue to read and support this novel in the future. All of you have inspired me to continue with the story I envisioned even at my lowest points, so I promise to do my best to continue this story in 2024!

Oh, and just for the record, there's only three chapters left to finally wrap up this arc for once and for all. To be more accurate, it is two normal chapters and an interlude. I'm satisfied with how this arc turned out to be and I grew as I writer because of it, but damn I won't be writing another tournament any time soon...

Anyway... As usual, please don't forget to comment and leave some hearts since that motivates me to continue writing the story! Don't forget to join the discord: https://discord.gg/uH6APbzrFR

9