Chapter 3: Life
56 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I was heading to school, contemplating what I had seen and felt. A peace unlike anything I had felt since I had both of my parents took over me. Watching the waters and smelling like land made me ecstatic. I felt rejuvenated for the first time in years. In such a short amount of time, I had begun to slowly change and develop into a... joyful person? Whatever the case may be, it filled me with joy.

I had finally made it to school after a few minutes. I had relatively no friends at school, but I got along with a few kids in my homeroom class. I felt too different from everyone else and, since the death of my parents, developing bonds had been hard.

I sat down at my desk and watched as someone approached me.

"Hey what's up Thomas? Everything alright? You look happier than usual. It's not like you to be so happy," asked Kyle.

Kyle was one of the few people I felt I could depend on and while we weren't exactly friends, he had my back most of the time. There was nothing particularly notable about Kyle, save for his friendly and outgoing personality. 

"Oh, uh, yeah, I'm all good. It's just that a lot has been going well for me lately, which is why I'm a little more joyful than usual," I replied. 

"Hm... Well then, that's great to hear, Thomas. Anyway, class is going to start soon, so catch ya later." Kyle waved and walked to his desk.

The bell rang, signifying the start of the last school day until fall. I was happy that the school year was ending so I could have more time acting as the Author of Life and focus on creating.

I wondered just how much I could get done during the summer. This coming school year I would enter high school, so summer break was slightly longer than usual, albeit only by a few days, but an extra day was an extra day.

---

The school year had finally ended. I waved goodbye to those I was close to and walked out without looking back. A lot of my classmates talked about their futures as high school students and some even began to cry, as many of them would not see each other again. All good things must come to an end. Such was the way of life. 

If it was true that all good things must end, then what it did mean for my world? The only thing that has brought me joy in such a short amount of time? Would that end as well one day? 

Whatever the case may be, it was better to live in the moment than it was to live in tomorrow.

---

I arrived home slightly tired from walking and even more so from saying goodbye to my classmates. I ignored my aunt as usual and ran up the stairs to my room. I opened the door then slammed it closed with excitement and locked it when I entered. 

I walked up to the box and saw that time was still moving at a rapid pace. As I looked into the ocean, I noticed something deep within the waters. The visions from before slightly enhanced my eyesight so I could see... life! In what felt like one quick motion, I rushed to my desk, picked up my magnifying glass, pointed it at the ocean and stared in wonder.

Life had really, truly formed! I resumed time in the box to normal and saw thousands of little creatures swimming in the water, but then my heart sank at a realization. How would my creatures evolve without the proper day and night cycle? Sure, they were by some miracle still alive, but that wouldn't last. "I got it!" I exclaimed. I had remembered the box gave me an ability to look through my memories in depth. 

I sourced through my memories, hoping to find something, anything, and lo-and-behold, I saw it! A mechanism. This "mechanism" could absorb all kinds of natural lights, like the moon and the sun, and then use them as though they were actually there. This was like creating an artificial light source that mimicked the sun and the moon, only it really was the sun and the moon! (Technically, anyway).

This would be useful for when I was speeding up time or slowing it. In the rare case where I have to move the box, this would also be a great substitute. Even with the vast amount of knowledge I now have, I have yet to scratch the surface and actually put what I have learned to use. 

---

I pulled out the mechanism which was behind the box. It was a switch-like device that could pull up a lamp. I checked the battery life by finding a meter on the head of the lamp. It showed 100%. I moved the lamp towards the world and flicked it on, testing it to see if it would really function and... it worked. The lamp turned on and as it was evening; the light had a reddish-orange hue signifying the end of the day.

I flicked the switch again, and the lamp returned to where it was, which was inside the box. 

I picked up my magnifying glass and checked on the life that sprung from the ocean. The life forms were tiny in comparison with the world and appeared to be at a very early age in development. I wasn't knowledgeable about evolution, but I knew that these life forms were far too young to be capable of any intelligence.

Despite their low intelligence, it satisfied me that I had created my own creatures. Beings that I could call mine and guide or control as I see fit for the future. I would guide the way they developed and change their world and maybe, just maybe, I could change our world as well in due time. 

I flicked the switch and fast-forwarded time again. The lights flashed at impressive speeds, but it was already getting late, so I called it a night and went to sleep. 

When I awoke and checked on the box, my heart was beating at a rapid space. A smirk was plastered on my face at what I had just witnessed before me... evolution! 

2