The God Paradox (3)
1.3k 1 68
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Read 60 advance chapters and support the novel @

Patre on.com/Fanharem

***

"What do you mean?" Agitated the young Qian Xunji may have been, when facing his calm and collected father, he could only falter and sit down once again.

"Well... like I said, the destination of every path is the same. The only difference is the process. Our family has accurately researched into two paths. One of them is somewhat exclusive to the females only with the martial soul of the Seraphim and the other one is... well, still, more inclined towards females. But a few men, just a smidgen more talented than me, have the chance to walk on the second path."

Qian Daoliu chuckled, "It's a funny story really, Xunji. Did I tell you about the fool who went to search for Godhood and has been missing ever since?"

"Father... do you mean Tang Chen? You've talked about him dozens of times already. Truly, mom wouldn't have been so pissed at you if she got the same level of attention," Qian Xunji mumbled and Daoliu could only chuckle wryly.

"Well, you asked me about Godhood. I have only two paths to offer," his words made Xunji serious.

"First... is based on the approach of a god being a celestial entity worthy of prayers. The first ancestor, also known as the Angel Goddess, who appeared alongside the Sea God Poseidon, walked on this path. The truth is, before the establishment of Spirit Hall, the continent was torn with wars and other atrocities.

The First Goddess walked these lands and placated such events. In return, she came to be praised and then even revered. Her notes suggest that after reaching a Titled Douluo, more specifically, when one's mind, body, and energy surpasses the level of an ordinary rank 95 douluo, a spirit master is capable of perceiving a new form of energy. This energy is expelled from other living beings voluntarily and is directed towards the individual who occupies their focus.

This energy is dubbed as faith."

"Faith—"

"Don't interrupt," Qian Daoliu stated sternly and Xunji hurriedly closed his mouth.

"Hmm, now, including me and the more recent predecessors, none of us have ever contacted this form of energy. After the establishment of Spirit Hall, order reigns the continent and there is no need for saintly figures. Thus, the same accomplishment cannot be achieved.

After this discussion, I will let you read the Ancestor's theoretical inheritance.

Now, onto the second path. This is, by itself, an offshoot of the first path. When you were born, we tested you for this path. As I said, this path doesn't care about the Martial Soul naturally inhibiting the talents of a male spirit master.

It is called Inheritance.

A god is a being of a higher level that can leave behind a certain path to Godhood. This path needs to be verified using trials and is personally directed by the said god or goddess. As a clan with a Goddess in our ancestry, we do have a particular inheritance. Alas, you didn't get the necessary trials. According to the notes left by the ancestor, only a talented individual that gains nine trials can have the chance to accept the inheritance.

As you know, I only had eight trials myself."

Qian Daoliu sighed softly.

"May... I speak?" Qian Xunji inquired after a few minutes of digestion.

"You may."

"Hmm. Let's forget the second path for the moment. I'm not as talented as you and the Seraphim martial soul isn't kind to males naturally. On the other hand, the first path underlines a condition that the continent must be to the point of despair that the simple acts of kindness result in reverence...

But in this day and age, with the two Empires firmly established, the act is not easily achievable.

We either continue with your dreams of Spirit Empire..."

"Spirit Empire? Ah, you mean that. There's no rush. I only came up with this idea once I had the same conversation with my father," Qian Daoliu chuckled.

"Then father, you understood it, right? In this day and age... you cannot be worshipped as a god unless you're one. If you aren't a god, then civilians won't worship you and the so-called faith will not be gathered. A vicious cycle..."

"Your grandfather and even other predecessors, of course, understood this," Qian Daoliu leaned back against the couch, "And that's why they named this problem the God Paradox. Hehe, amusing, isn't it?

Anyway. I will get the written materials on these two paths. Research on it as you wish."

---

"Sold! For 4 million gold coins, the Statue of the Angel belongs to Young Lord Ning!" The host of the Heaven Dou Auction House stated with an excited flush on his cheeks

Qian Xunji gazed at the young Patriarch of the Seven Treasure Glazed Tile Clan with a dark expression before reigning in his anger.

"Oh? Did you like that stuff? Let me get it for you. It's just too rare for you to lose your bearings," A calm yet cruel chuckle broke out beside him. Qian Xunji gazed at the handsome dark-haired man with a sigh and then glanced at the crimson-haired youth beside him with a gloomy expression.

"Of course, not, Brother. There's no point in killing him just because of a statue," Qian Xunji finally smiled. Yet his eyes turned cold momentarily.

'The part of lost inheritance as stated in the ruins!' Qian Xunji's adventure had netted him quite a bit of gain, especially in the next path of cultivation.

"Let's go... there's so much left to see!" Qian Xunji chuckled.

Yet, his schemes now needed to wrap around the giant that is the Seven Treasure Glazed Tile Clan.

---

In the ruins of the arena.

Forced on the ground by the pull of his blood, Qian Xunji still smiled. This was enough. This much strength could kill everyone around him and then some more. There must be a time limit, Qian Xunji realized and given that his actions will be limited by time, too, made it the perfect opportunity to use it.

The Relic of Angel!

This relic came with a loss of Titled Douluo— Ground Devil. Although Qian Xunji was still unaware of Ground Devil's true identity, the loss was almost unbearable. Just for a small piece of inheritance, Qian Xunji was willing to let go of a Titled Douluo under his control through Redstar.

'A relic that amplifies faith energy... but it wouldn't make too many differences until the belief of the civilians reaches the highest level. Then again, with the grip of the two Emperors... a religion in my name can only rise if I were to be a god in the first place. Truly, a vicious cycle. But... this relic has another use or else the loss of Ground Devil would never have been justified!'

Under Redstar's stunned eyes, the relic began to glow and his entire body shuddered.

"Like hell, I'll let you come here!" Redstar chuckled.

Aside from the blood core, there was a sky blue one, too, that continued to give off vast spiritual pressure!

'A god... is only a stronger mortal!'

The two cores began to dissipate at a breakneck pace and Redstar's aura began to rise.

"The entire continent is fortunate!" Redstar looked at the recorders, "Not only you all are given the proof of the core's existence... but you're fortunate enough to see the technique of burning it. And when you use up such a large amount of energy..."

Redstar waved his hand.

Rank 97...

Rank 98...

Rank 99...

He looked up and met his gaze with one astounded one who couldn't believe what was happening.

'These two... idiots...' Qian Daoliu pursed his lips.

"There ought to be a definite change, right?" Redstar inquired.

Ironically, this path was his source of confidence.

A path that aligned with Qian Xunji's intentions.

"Leave, after this, wallow in self-pity that you were born in our era," Redstar merely glanced at the surrounding Titled Douluos and the pressure on their blood disappeared.

By now, the two cores had already been completely used up and astonishing changes streaked Redstar.

Not only his aura... seemed to have been removed, but his body...

'This is... the next step,' Chen Xin silently admired Redstar. A look of reverence passed through his eyes and when he gazed at Qian Xunji, this emotion only grew more intense.

'To be so gutsy and talented... Father, where have you gone off to? Did you succeed, too?' Tang Peng retrieved his hammer and gave a short bow before moving back. Chen Xin and the Bone Douluo retreated, too.

The fusion technique of Dai Laohu and Zhu Yin glanced at the two in the center of the ruins fearfully and quickly left, too.

The sudden change had surprised the continent.

"Now then, prepare to meet your maker," Redstar merely flicked his index finger, and a drop of blood shot in Qian Xunji's direction.

"If I had the same technique and not this relic... I would have chosen the same. Yet, you're stuck. Not a human or god. No, more like the devil. But...

Don't you tarnish a god's might."

Qian Xunji's lips didn't move yet his voice boomed. It spread out forcefully.

Even if the recording devices transmitted everything, Qian Xunji's voice boomed within every viewer who glanced at him. The act itself shocked and scared everyone.

The drop of blood had turned into ash even without reaching Qian Xunji as he slowly stood up.

His features seemed more defined.

An armor of golden flames covered his body and a golden sword's phantom materialized in his hands.

"Oh? And you're supposed to be the real deal?" Redstar inquired.

"Yes," Qian Xunji smiled gently before all the recording devices and transmitters were caught on fire.

"They have seen the God's descent, the task is completed. Now... you and I... we can finally end this."

Redstar nodded and added.

"Whether you lose out your grace, or I lose my strength. It's all about time."

"Whether I fall here after sacrificing my everything to invoke the divine strength or I end up having all," Qian Xunji's wings unfurled and so did Redstar's leathery wings.

"Grand Priest is to hear the new divine successor's call," Qian Xunji whispered and Qian Daoliu appeared in front of him out of thin air.

"Your grace," Qian Daoliu bowed naturally with a humble expression.

"For the next three years, you are to keep the status quo of the Spirit Hall. The Bishops outside the Spirit Hall will carry out my orders and you shall make it so that none of the priests and internal elders become an obstacle to my orders.

These are the tasks for my successor. Have these reach her," Qian Xunji pointed at Qian Daoliu and a stream of information entered the Grand Priest's head.

"Yes, your grace..."

"Father... even if for an hour. I did it," Qian Xunji whispered.

"You sacrificed your entire cultivation and being for this divine strength using the relic... but yes, you did it... congratulations. As the Grand Priest, I must ask you to record your experiences should you survive this."

"Of course. My loyalty stays with the Spirit Hall and its advancement."

Qian Xunji took to the sky and Redstar winked at Qian Daoliu.

"Shouldn't have eaten centipedes before sleeping with your wife, huh? Now look at the disaster you bred her with," he chuckled as he shot into the sky leaving a red streak.

'Whatever... three years isn't that long... and Xunji wanted to conquer the Sea God Island, too... so he must have other methods left.'

Qian Daoliu silently left. This experience had been a refreshing slap on his cheeks, too, that reignited his desire.

For a moment...

Qian Daoliu wasn't content with just being the Grand Priest.

'What a bother to have ambitions reignited in this age... an old man can't catch a break, huh,' he sighed deeply.

---

"What is this strange sensation?!"

Yu Yuanzhen looked towards the arena with fright gripping his heart. As a Titled Douluo, he was naturally much closer to the next step of the cultivation. It wasn't about mental energy or physical attributes but the quality of one's spirit energy.

Despite being refined by the Final Buddha Array, Ja Sun's body lacked a certain quality in his spirit energy but still, regardless, his senses were tingling. He had seen it through his clone's eyes.

That... power.

'A core can be forcefully refined to temporarily increase strength?' Ja Sun almost chuckled at this method. This meant losing everything. A core defines one's accomplishment. He has a mental and physical core which meant that he had accomplished a certain aspect of his mind and body even if it is using external means. To destroy this accumulation... well, meant, death if not being crippled for the rest of the life.

'But even my trait isn't related to prophecy! This mission just fell close to B... no, even C rank!'

Ja Sun's body nimbly avoided a large dragon-shaped bolt of lightning. His fur was currently charred. After all, how easy is it to actually avoid lightning? If not for the sudden ascension of Redstar and Qian Xunji, he would have been hit again.

But he would rather let his heightened physique endure it than use his spirit energy to activate his sixth ability. Even with his standards by using the Sigh of Immortal, his sixth and final ability from Nightmare's Fantasy took a major chunk of energy.

"Now!"

Bibi Dong shouted. She had looked better. Her entire body was morphed to form a human-arachnid hybrid and her spirit rings continued to glow. A purplish armor made of thorn covered her body entirely and her three pairs of eyes only looked tired.

She didn't want any of it.

But with escalating attacks, even she had to end up supporting Ah Yin.

By now she understood Ja Sun's point of view, or at least, she thought she did. Yu Yuanzhen attacking and killing them would net him Qian Daoliu's attack. In the first place, the possibility of Ja Sun actually dying to a human Titled Douluo is low because of Qian Daoliu deterring others. However, if their group managed to kill Yuanzhen...

What of it?

He is the strongest force of the Blue Lightning Tyrant Dragon Clan. His death would mean that any force of the clan could be dealt with, too. And the death of the clan leader by itself would be an astonishing and sudden blow... the chances of the Blue Lightning Tyrant Dragon Clan disappearing from the world is surely low, but Yuanzhen's death would send the clan in a state of decline!

Ja Sun, meanwhile, did it for his rewards only.

Liu Erlong, on the other hand...

"Die!"

Wrapped in flames, her flesh mangled in various places and even her scales charred despite her evolved martial soul, Liu Erlong had trouble enduring Yuanzhen's attacks. It would be a surprise if she didn't.

Even if her martial soul suppressed Yuanzhen, that didn't mean it could bridge the gap in strength.

"Enough!"

Yuanzhen's seventh spirit ring gave an eerie glow and his body instantly began to balloon up!

A spirit avatar!

A true dragon!

The giant serpentine blue dragon coiled around with lightning crackling around him furiously.

"Ah Yin, remove the effects of your domain around us. Support the remaining in their protection. Erlong, cooperate with my domain! Xie Xan, you too!"

A milky white ring of light expanded from Bibi Dong and Xie Xan in an instant. But what shocked everyone was that the innards of the domain, aside from the explosive killing intent that further suppressed Yuanzhen and supported themselves, was filled with a toxic breath!

"Two domains... you! You're—" Yuanzhen growled in surprise, his eyes widened at the moment.

"Large eyes definitely attract my love," Ja Sun snickered coldly. His body was barely affected by the toxic environment as he shot out Dragon Beard Needles into Yuanzhen's eyes that failed to pierce through his eyelids.

This is Bibi Dong's actual primary domain stemming from the Death Spider Emperor. Meanwhile, the Deathgod Domain was embedded in the Soul Devouring Spider Emperor.

As a domain, this worked both ways. Toxins inhibited Yuanzhen and the space was locked within this domain. Meanwhile, the same toxins seemed to have a mind of their own and acted as a medicine for Erlong, Ja Sun, and Bibi Dong. It raised their physical qualities and reaction time!

It was clear that even a Titled Douluo when affected by three domains would have trouble adapting.

But what made Yuanzhen actually fear was the breath of something primal... that seemed to linger around Liu Erlong.

"To think I'd finally get to use it," Liu Erlong smiled coldly.

Her body was covered by a large pillar of flames. It shot out and impacted against the three layers of light signifying the three domains that worked well together. Yet, the flames disrupted this harmony. It lasted only for a moment though.

"Burn! Burn! Dust to dust, ashes to ashes! I don't care about righteousness! I don't care about villainy! But my mother died because of your fucked up clan and you will pay for even threatening to kill me!"

Liu Erlong screeched. Her maddening bloodlust seemed to have formed the phantom of the infernal dragon as it roared. The pillar of flame began to expand.

"Breath of Infernal!"

Three wisps of red glow shot out from the pillar and covered Ja Sun, Bibi Dong, and Xie Xan on the sidelines and they instantly felt better. No, better than ever. The light was nourishing them and protecting them from the ultimate fire that continued to expand.

"What is this?!" Yuanzhen roared and coiled his body. Opening his jaws, he let loose a torrent of lightning but he was too heavily suppressed!

'This domain is a bit too extreme...' Ja Sun had a wry smile.

Usually, a domain suppresses the opponent and supports the ally. Liu Erlong's domain took the two aspects to the extreme.

The suppression came in the form of a world of fire. Those without the ability to endure Ultimate Fire would eventually turn to ashes and the support came in the form of nurturing rays of light that not only protected the allies from flames but also temporarily used the fire itself to heal themselves.

"Recover yourself!" Bibi Dong sighed as she took out a few pieces of tofu. Others did the same including Liu Erlong. All of them watched as the giant and magnificent dragon was being forced to a slow death.

But their expressions weren't too well. The expenditure of the Spirit Energy couldn't be covered by them and Liu Erlong's domain was in a contest with Ah Yin's, making her retreat.

The sight of the giant dome of fire attracted attention, but at this moment, the color of the sky changed!

One half was covered in red and the other signified with gold.

Surprising Liu Erlong was that her flames seemed to have gotten a strange... emotion. They burned hotter and more furiously than ever!

*Puchi*

"Huh?" Liu Erlong's expression froze.

"What the..." Bibi Dong's lips quivered.

"My word... he's really gutsy," Xie Xan sneered happily.

"Hmm? Oh, don't mind him," Ja Sun smiled as another 'Ja Sun' had his hand layered with purple and pushed inside Yu Yuanzhen's right eye.

"Didn't I tell you? Large eyes only mean a larger target," He snickered.

Heaven's Descent!

His mental toxins instantly ravaged Yuanzhen's brain and sent him to an inconceivable high. But that wasn't all. The clone suddenly used all its skill. The feathers punctured his other eye. His body glowed with silver and the clone struck the eyes again. Blood and matter gushed out in buckets as even Ja Sun's clone, not supported by the nurturing aspect of the fire, was burnt to ashes.

'Huff... see? The difficulty wasn't even worth mentioning... the strength of domain really is amazing,' Ja Sun sighed softly as he looked towards the sky.

"Hey! What gives?! He was my prey!"

Liu Erlong instantly raged.

"Oh, sorry. I just didn't want you to get your hands dirty with your clan's blood. After all, I worry about you," Ja Sun smiled like a breeze as the domains were retracted and Liu Erlong pursed her lips, dodging his gaze.

She was instantly suppressed!

Xie Xan rolled his eyes seeing this.

'Of course, the bastard will take advantage if you're making it too easy--'

"Bitch, our minds are still connected! I can hear you!" Ja Sun shot Xie Xan a glance as he shrugged, "I didn't lie."

"Cut off the connection!" Liu Erlong panicked instantly.

"Why? I just heard something amazing..." Ja Sun closed his eyes as if relishing something and hurriedly dodged Erlong's attack.

68