Chapter 13: Bottleneck
293 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Chapter 13: Bottleneck]

The days began as normal with light exercise and a rinse under the waterfall. The same beginning as the last few weeks. I don’t really know how long I have been come to think of it. During my maximum survival mode I was in the first few days the thought never occurred. And after that I saw no reason to start.

So here on the nth day of my life in this world I went through an increasingly repetitive session of learning new magic. Today’s lucky element is earth so let’s dig right in. Since earth is last “nature” element I figured it was only right for it to be next. And the nice thing is that the more elements I get, the easier it is to manipulate my mana into the right form.

Not that I expect this to be easy I’m creating solids here after all. This lowers the efficiency as I have to condense mana more than the other elements. But this doesn’t really matter as above all else, I have mp. So I make my mana condense as gently as I can get it while attempting to imitate earth the same way I did every other element.

[Skill level increased]

[Mana circulation| lv 2]

[20% control over one’s own mana]

Not what I was aiming for but it is very much appreciated, must have been the effort in condensing that pushed it over the edge. After that there were no more interruptions.

[Skill obtained]

[Earth magic| lv: 1]

[Control earth magic with 10% efficiency]

From my palm came the results, a small bit of brown. “It’s a pebble, no wait, it’s a clump of dirt,” I observe as it breaks apart on contact with the ground before quickly fizzling out. A less than pleasing result to be sure. And yet with a bit of experimentation, I found that I could create just dirt, portable pocket sand acquired.

And yes while I did complain earlier that this is getting repetitive, but seeing a new magic getting added to the list makes me happy. But I still want to do something different than normal. Goblins, it is time once more. I am much stronger now so if I keep cautious the only thing that can kill me is dumb luck.

And to help I will bring out my secret weapon. A giant piece of stone the size of dinner plate with a sharpened edge on a piece of would too large to be called a stick. A rather large are that should let the goblins know fear. While I don’t know how to use it I should be able to kill goblins off the weight alone. It’s heavy to almost to the point of being impractical, well for my 2 str of course.

With the axe as well as my spear and sword in tow as well I cannot help but feel confident. Although I still don’t wish to be attacked in the denser parts of the forest so I stick to the underbrush once again. I ended up having to search far in to find any goblins making caution mainly overkill. And there in a clearing are four goblins just waiting around.

One is close to the edge with their back turned, they’re first. Sneaking up as quietly as possibly I creep into the bush behind it. Readying the axe I prepare to use it for exactly what I made it to do. Transitioning from a crouch to standing I hold the axe above me. The other goblins already see me and begin to panic but my prey has yet to realize, quite the dull one really. And in a savage movement backed by my entire weight, the axe came down crueler than any guillotine right on the goblin’s unaware head.

[Obtained skill]

[Basic axe proficiency| lv: 1]

[When using an axe damage is increased by 4%]

With the other goblins successfully frightened I switch to my spear. Jumping over a pile of red I brandish the weapon waiting for the goblins to move. They are scared yet still slinking closer- perfect. I simply wait as they will get in range eventually. If they were smart they would charge randomly in order to beat the spears greatest advantage, range.

Soon enough they get close, obviously trying to win by quickly swarming me after my next attack. But I won’t play on their terms. With all three goblins still out of melee range I thrust at one on my left landing a quick blow on its shoulder. The other two begin to frenzy but with the one on my left injured and off balance I jump toward it putting it between me and the other two.

With this I can push they back using quick jabs. The other two have taken to using the injured as a living shield, probably due to the heat of battle. The wounds on said injured are pile up to near fatal levels with a small gashes on the others. When the battle reached a lull, I charged abusing their complacency. Finishing of the injured with a heavy blow knock over the other with it the body.

[Skill level increased]

[Basic spear proficiency| lv: 2]

[When using a spear damage is increased by 4% crit chance by 2% and crit damage by 2%]

Taking a page out of my first fight I finish. One through impaling them while they’re down. With one left I switch to my sword in order to try and level it as well. By then the last goblin got to its feet. By then it was already my win.

For a bit I stood back sidestepping a few obvious blows and returning a couple of my own. Ready to end this I use sprint with more effort than ever before.

[Skill level increased]

[Sprint| lv.2]

[Move in a burst of 100% increased movement speed]

Now behind the goblin I plant my feet as hard as possible and swing for the neck. “Nothing personal” I quote as its head falls to a beautiful strike.  I congratulate myself before the notifications come rushing in.

[Skill level increased]

[Basic sword proficiency| lv: 5]

[When using a sword damage is increased by 15% and crit chance by 5%]

[Level Up]

[ Str: +1 | Dex: +1 | Agi: +1 | End: +1 | Int: +4 | Cha: +1 | Luk: +1]

Happy as can be about the new strength I just obtained I make a small hole to hide the bodies in. After filling the hole back up with bodies and dirt I grab my weapons and leave quickly. My new speed is intoxicating as I run towards home. While this was a bit reckless nothing came of it.

I had some time to think as I cleaned the blood of everything in the waterfall. I have become several times stronger than day one yet I am forced to realize something, I am slowing down. I barely understand things a surface level which hinders me in leveling my skills. The only way to level skills fast seems to be through combat. There’s just something about it that forces you to do better. But I don’t want that, I don’t want to have to throw myself into greater and greater dangers just for a skill level or two. Because one day luck will catch up with me and that’s it. Maybe one day but currently that just seems like suicide. So in order to avoid the constant cycle of combat I will have to do the one thing I didn’t want to do even more than it. I am going to have to leave this forest.

5