Chapter 16: Another
248 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Chapter 16: Another]

"Hey, you okay." The blond man asks as I have been staring into space for far too long.

"uh… yeah, not a local though." I manage to reply.

"oh well that’s too bad, do you at least know the way to an inn?"

"Yeah, that way" pointing to the inn I left just a bit earlier.

"Well you come along you look like you have as story to tell." as he practically drags me along.

I am brought back into the inn as I try to understand just what is happening. The man says something to the innkeeper as I stare off with a look of utter disbelief. He then proceeds to go into a eating area that I apparently have never seen before, not that I took a good look at this place.  He takes out what looks to be some kind of currency an hands it to some lady. The lady goes and brings some kind of stew for all 8 people-including me. Not one to question this i eat I as politely as my etiquette lacking self can.

"So why are in a small town such as this?" Asks the man taking a break from eating.

"Nothing really to tell, I just found it in passing. I followed the edge of the forest all the way here. Just passing through really."

"Ah, well can’t blame a man for just living life." The man says easily accepting.

While we talk his entourage converses with itself. I have been making sure to as k little and insinuate a lower position in order to keep their attention off me. I fear what would happen to me should I gather their attention. Just the thought of it makes me want to run straight into the gnoll territory.

As for the man himself, he’s about everything I would expect. If a bit too interested in other’s business. And while I him giving me food definitely helped my opinion of him, I still don’t want to be here. So after a bit more pointless chatting I manage to excuse myself.

Asking the innkeeper if there is any library I am told that a shop has some books. Not wanting to be caught up in anything I hurry there. Entering the home of my long sought after books I see it, the bookshelf. While it has only around a dozen in total, each of their differently colored spines looks like a treasure trove of information. One such book catches my eye, and while it’s dull brown color may look bland it’s title calls to me as if it has all the answers I could need.

[Weapons training: how to speed through basic]

While i tried to maintain a sceptical outlook on its usefullness as I went on  I found that held all the answers I needed and then some. As my weapon skill levels became utterly difficult to level despite being called basic I knew that something had to be wrong. And right I was, as the says that just swing a weapon will only be useful till around the halfway point of basic and that afterwards it becomes far too infeccint to even try. As my my sword skill was at level 5 itself I couldn't help but feel a little better about having to come out here, still would have rather not but what choice did I have.

Apparently instead of simply swinging a weapon around hopping for a level up, it is far more efficient to practice weapons forms which the book has illustrated pictures of demonstrated by stick men. Despite the obvious usefulness the whole thing felt like a punch to chest, of course doing forms would help how didn’t I see that. This is common knowledge here,  the book itself  acts like the reader already knows and just needs help with specifics. Even without the forms in the book I would be fine by making my own making this entire trip unneeded. Well hindsight is 20/20 and all that so no point in beating myself up further, and at least one of theories was right.

Throughout my entire time in this world I have suspected that the status screen isn’t something everyone has. And this book, well the thing is that while it talks about levels a few times, it never mentions any specific levels. Meaning normal people can’t see their own stats, though I bet the blond can see his. Well it wasn’t really so much suspicion as much much as my being cautious. Isekai rule no.2 suspect everything you have may be absurdly rare to the normal populace until proven otherwise. There were an inane amount of characters who’s drew unwanted suspicion through thinking that some of the more subtle parts of the otherworlder package were completely normal when in fact they were game changing powers. I refuse to be like them, and will use their mistakes to better myself here. I wonder if it would be rude to think the blond guy wouldn’t be nearly as cautious… probably but for his little dynamic it might be fine.

Though I condone none of it.

Anyway, this book has helped me greatly and will speed up my leveling if all goes well. And it’s not just this one book, there is an absolute trove  of information for someone like me who knows nothing and yet wants to know everything. If I had money I would try to buy all of of it. But my lack of funds means I have to return home tonight. And while if I were truly desperate I could probably get some money from the blond man, but I want as little to do with him as possible.

Why do I smell something burning?

Sorry for the wait, but I have returned.

Once again sorry for dropping office the face of the earth for a bit but this chapter was hard to write.

This series is just a writing project that I wanted to make and it’s hard for a new writer like me to make work that I can be proud of. This was my first time writing character dialogue in any amount or form and I don’t know if what wanted to come across did properly.

Anyway since there is at best one more chapter with any character other than the protagonist I should be at least a bit active.

Sorry for the delay to all who remain and thank you for joining my through the experiences of The Forest Hermit.

6