38.X: Sun Elves [LORE]
71 1 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Elves exist all over the known world of Efas. Like humans, they have separated into many different ethnic groups over time, but unlike humans their differences have been even more pronounced, often enhanced or altered by magic.

On the island of Sunwell, the elves that have lived here for thousands of years are referred to as “sun elves.”

Most speak the Common Saxonian tongue, though throughout Sunwell, many still use the language Imduin, which is the elven language’s word for Fleettwixt as a whole. Imduin is spoken widely in every part of Fleettwixt, especially in the neighborhood of Beechhurst.

Sun elves’ skin tone consist of a range of many colors that match their hair and eyes—it is theorized to be genetically linked, but parents’ skin color does not always reflect their children’s.

Typically the magical abilities of sun elves manifest themselves strongly when near water-culturally they have an affinity for water-based spells, and they have many traditional rituals revolving around the river and sea and the mouths where they meet. However, non-mana, direct magic use is quite frowned upon by the Saxonian colonizers—unlicensed mages are very illegal in Fleettwixt—and those traditions have been tamped down on.

Sun elves, unfortunately, have been subjugated by the multicultural conglomerate known as the North Sunwell Company for centuries now, facing a repression of culture, language, magic, and wealth, despite making up a large majority of the population of the main Sunwell island. They are looked down upon by the colonial regime unless they change their ways to fit Saxonian culture, and many are forced to integrate and lose their original identity. An influx of elves from other continents—particularly core elves—has also begun to effect their status, though not as much as other glossal species since all elves have a very low birth rate.

Like all known varieties of elf, sun elves are extremely long lived—five hundred years is very common, and many can even reach a thousand. But, like most elves, they are stricken with the curse of Elf Memory Syndrome, the inevitability that their memories will fade over time. After a certain age, elves begin to lose their past as it fades into mush, and they can only really remember the last fifty or so years with any sort of clarity. It is similar to humans, who forget most of their earliest memories.

Due to their limited memory, books, documents, and other permanent records are absolutely vital in elf culture. Sun elves in particular have a long tradition of oral storytelling, detailed depictions of events in the past that tell their culture and sometimes even of themselves. Elf Home Cities will contain vast libraries in central locations, and many will offer continuous university education to ensure that citizens keep up their lesser used skills or knowledge.

However, all of this can be easy to destroy. When the North Sunwell Company first invaded Sunwell and conquered Fleettwixt, they made a thorough effort to burn down libraries and repress certain knowledge for as long as possible. After a few generations had passed, the elves that lived had already forgotten about the atrocities the initial invasion had wrought. The colonizers could loosen their grip as fact became rumor and discontent fell into the background.

What is harder to destroy is the sun elves’ emphasis on family bonds and connections. The extended family and its shared, continuous history is extremely important, and it has taken several generations for the colonizers to chip away with that, although their modernized economy has done some help. The traditional religions of Sunwell have seen significant decline, and the native language Imduin has become relegated to a lesser regional dialect except in the most rural areas.

Now, despite remaining the majority even in Fleettwixt, sun elves are still near the bottom of society, and it does not seem like anything will change in the near future, not unless the cycle of oppression can be broken.


Next Chapter 039: Forced Underneath

sCvoBSA.png

5