Chapter 028 [Rick]
1k 2 32
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

With a profound sigh, Rick stepped into view of the cave.

“What the fuck happened to you?” Kat’s voice rang out instantly. There was an edge of concern that instantly turned into amusement. “You got mauled?”

He stood shirtless. His pants and shoes were only half dry, and his shoulder and back had light scrapes that had at least stopped bleeding. His hair was wild and completely out of control, a mess of brown that put it looking closer to a ball of fur. The man’s shoulders slumped, his focus anywhere else than the young woman. He did his best to avoid betraying any of the embarrassment currently burning through him. “Monica got a bit… physical.”

“You’re hurt.” Tomas glanced from the pile of half burnt sticks that lay in front of him. “Did she break anything?”

“It’s just scratches. I washed them over at the stream, so I hope they won’t get infected.”

Mr. Gabriel’s voice broke the silence, a single harsh bark of laughter. The elderly man shook his head as his hand slowly patted the head of the mouse creature, monster, lady. She appeared to be asleep, not even reacting to the loud sound. Rick felt himself flush further.

“What? I don-…” Kat paused, looking between her grandfather and the teacher. Her eyes broadened. “Oh my god, you got snusnu’d!”

“That is…” Rick coughed. “We should get going. The stream is deep enough it could lead to a river. Did you have any luck with supplies?”

“Don’t change the subject.” She approached, nudging a bewildered Tomas aside. Her gaze up at Rick almost sparkled. She was grinning like a madwoman. “You fucked the cat. How was it? Did she pin you against a tree? Maybe she-”

“I think this conversation topic is entirely inappropriate, young lady.” The scowl was impossible to sustain as she smugly kept staring up at him. There was just too much amusement on her face. The smirk was practically splitting her head in two. Rick could only cough and rub the back of his neck awkwardly. “It’s really not important, we need to move.”

With a scoff, she crossed her arms, throwing a pout his way. “Fine, be that way. Where’s the lucky lady, anyway?”

“I think… she went out to hunt.”

“Oh… oh!”

Faces tightened into grimaces, shared looks amongst the four.

“At least, like, she didn’t come to eat us.”

“You can’t rely on luck,” Mr. Gabriel commented gruffly. His fingers slowly stroked the short gray hair of the mouse woman. “It certainly feels like she was keeping this one alive in case she ever got hungry.”

“Maybe more like a sadistic plaything.” Tomas’ face contorted and took a greener hue.

“Wait, do you think…?” Kat looked at the woman, then at Rick, and back again. “I mean…”

“I do not want to consider that prospective line of thought.” The young teacher clapped his hands loudly. “Like I said, we need to move, we’re burning hours, and I… wasted enough of them.” His gaze turned to Tomas, and his voice faltered a little. “Also I… if you have a shirt you could lend me, I’d appreciate it. I only had a change of pants.”

“Tearing clothes off, hot.”

“Not a word, Catherine.”

“Pfffff, you’re no fun teach.” She rolled her eyes, letting out a little grunt and turning to her backpack to pick it up. “There, I’m ready to explore some more.”

“How far is the river?”

“About half an hour.” His gaze turned towards Mr. Gabriel. The old man had not moved from his spot. “What… are you doing?”

“I’m going to stay here.”

“WHAT!?”

Mr. Gabriel leveled a severe glare at his granddaughter. “I will slow you down if I stick with you. I’m sure you could’ve covered the distance to this cave in half the time without me.”

“Are you seriously…?”

“Dead serious, Catherine,” he replied, his brows wrinkled deeply. “We are low on food and short on time. What are the outcomes if I stay here?”

“What?”

“Outcome one. You find help in time, and you come back to take me somewhere with a functioning toilet.” The old man let out a grunt. “Option two, you don’t find help. You come back. We try to figure something out.” His fingers slowly brushed the hair of the creature sleeping against his lap. “Option three, you stumble onto something that will try to kill you.” His lips pursed and his brow tightened. “If you have to run, you will have to slow down for my sake. And you won’t cover as much ground as me sticking around. I am staying here,”

“Some monster could eat you.”

“If any monster had the balls to show up this close to that cat’s lair, this one would’ve been eaten already.” His fingers kept slowly caressing the hair of the woman on his lap. “She’s defenseless, yet she’s alive.”

Rick nodded solemnly, stepping forward. “What about Monica?”

“What about her? Either she follows you or she doesn’t.” With a gruff shake of his head, the old man kept his gaze firmly on Rick. “If she doesn’t, you all die the instant you find anything like those other monsters. If she does, then I’m not in trouble.”

“I don’t like this.” Kat moved into the cave, standing right in front of him. “I’m not leaving my grandpa alone in the wilds like this.”

“You will have to.”

“NO!” She stomped her foot, glaring.

“There is no other way.”

“I refuse to believe that.”

Mr. Gabriel met her gaze. The hard stone that was on his face softened ever so slightly. He took a deep breath and shook his head. His eyes glimmered with the barest sign of something other than cold, hard determination. The man reached out, offering a weathered hand. “Do you remember your grandmother, Matilde?”

“I… I remember she did great lemon pies.” She took his hand, squeezing his fingers.

He chuckled softly, a slight smile. “That she did.” With a deep breath, he tightened his grip on Kat’s hand. “She loved making them for you very much.” His lip straightened. “I want you to be safe, Catherine. This is the best way I can do that.”

“I’m not going to let you kill yourself like this.”

“Girl!” Mr. Gabriel’s voice barked out. His face flattened, cold and unfriendly. “Never say those words. If I’d wanted to take my life, I’ve had well over a decade to make that choice!”

His tone had awakened the mouse; she’d let out a shrill squeak and sprinted deeper into the cave. She curled up, looking at the others with wide brown, terrified eyes. He glanced at her and deflated, his shoulders slumped down. He let out a sigh as he turned to look at his granddaughter once more.

“I do not plan to die here. Get going, girl.”

Kat’s face contorted into a glare, hands tightened into fists. She almost seemed ready to shout or scream. Closing her eyes, she looked away. “Fine. Fine, fucking fine!” The young woman turned around, stomping her way out without another word. Tomas was quick to pursue.

Rick met Mr. Gabriel’s eyes. The older man slowly shook his head.

Quietly, the young teacher reached into the backpack, pulling out the plastic bag that had his portion of food. Opening it up, he removed the pieces of candy and dropping the food and two water bottles.

That made the older male frown. “What are you doing?”

Rick gestured at the mouse that lay next to the wall of the cave. “She’s going to need food too, and I doubt you won’t share from yours.” Rick sucked in a deep breath, glancing into the woods. Pointing. “The stream is in that direction. There are scratched trees around it, so it’s likely still inside Monica’s territory. Shouldn’t be too hard to get there.”

“Are you sure about this?”

“I’m a teacher.” Rick chuckled with an awkward glance towards Kat and Tomas, watching the young man attempt to halt the woman as she kept stomping her way through the trees. His jaw tightened. “I’m not letting anyone else die on my watch.”

32