Chapter 20
274 8 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

press that 💜


~the bat's POV~

Unexpectedly, this floor is unlike the others. Encroached on the walls are green vein-like things pulsating with light that dimly shines across the room.

This is kind of weird. I'm used to floors that seem endless, so this floor where I can see everything at a mere glance is new.

That aside, what I'm supposed to be fighting is a giant of a beast. I thought the previous boss was huge but compared to this monster. It is nothing. However, one thing they share is that they are of the same race.

The huge lizard gazes at me with an eye full of hatred. What have I done to you? To me, the hate is unreasonable.

"You might have passed the weaklings above, but your journey ends here," the lizard's voice matches its large stature.

Is he looking down on me? I don't know why the lizard thinks so highly of itself. If it's because of its size, it has misplaced pride as all my prey have been larger than me so far.

Suddenly, the lizard raises its double-headed axe and slashes towards me. I wanted to ignore the attack as I was out of reach, but my instincts told me otherwise. It has been a while since I received this warning, and so far submitting to my instincts has proven to be right. There was no need to doubt them.

I activate [Dodge] and hastily move out of the way of the unseen attack. The fact that dodge can work proves my decision was correct. I had experimented before and discovered [dodge] only works to avoid attacks.

*Boom!*

A loud sound catches my attention. I turn and what I see shocks me. A carved mark about five bats long is plastered on the wall just behind where I was initially.

I have to take this guy seriously. Apparently, he wasn't boasting. I can tell the lizard used some skill. Well, this should at least be fun.

With that, I start to make preparations. First, I use [shapeshift] to make my claws sharper. If I'm to win with minimum injuries, then my attacks have to count. My eyes remain locked on the lizard in case it tries to be sneaky, but it seems my worries are unfounded. Though it is staring at me menacingly, it doesn't move. This makes me wonder if that is the effect of its skill, I would know since if I repeatedly use [airdash], the same would occur to me.

[Airdash], once my claws are as sharp as they can be. I make my move.

Surprisingly, the lizard notices me and tries to move its giant axe to block, but it is too late. My claws connect with its fleshy neck, meeting only slight resistance.

*Kuueeekkk*

The lizard screams as it swings its axe, but I'm already out of the way. From a safe spot, I can see the deep gash on its neck—the lizard's breathing intensifies as it stares at me with irreconcilable hatred.

Two more should do the trick. I can tell the lizard is barely holding on. Once again, I activate [airdash] and go in for the kill.

"Intruder, die!" The enraged lizard is a step ahead, his axe is already in motion, and that dangerous premonition hits me again.

[Dodge], a simple dodge does the trick. Unfortunately, the wall behind me is unable to dodge and bears the full brunt of the attack. Again, the lizard's attack surprises me. 

So what if you have a powerful attack? It is useless if you can't hit me. The lizard's predicament motivates me further to increase my agility and strength at the same pace.

[Airdash], I know the lizard can't pull the same trick consecutively, so I make my move. It can only gaze hatefully at me as I disconnect its head from its body.

You have slain level 20 lesser lizardman

Exp gain

You have levelled up

Four attribute points awarded

"Yes, finally!" I excitedly fly around the lizard's body as the message about my level up fills my vision. What can I say? The feeling of accomplishment is great.

"I should be able to evolve," amidst my excitement, I remember another crucial matter that further fills my magnificent body with joy. This feeling will kill me. I swear things can't get better than this. Though I have bad memories of evolution, the result is something to look forward to.

"[Status!]," I shout. 

 General information

Attributes

Class

Name

???

STR +

39

CHR

100

Name

Level

Progress

Race

Lesser bat

DEX +

22

VIT +

28

Lesser bat

20/20(+)

100%

Sex

Male

AGI +

31

 

 

 

 

 

Age

1,season

INT +

16

 

 

 

 

 

Hp

150/168

END +

33

 

 

 

 

 

Mp

168/168

MNT +

28

 

 

 

 

 

Attribute points: 64

Skill list

Name

Level

Proficiency

Flying

35

76%

Dodge

14

62%

Predator

30

54%

Language understanding

N/a

N/a

Screech

2

0%

Air dash

26

44%

Echolocation(new)

4

88%

Enhanced vision(new)

5

23%

Shapeshift(new)

7

48%

 

"Yes, I should be able to level up," seeing the plus sign just after my level proves I'm right. Amidst my excitement, I almost initiate the evolving process, but I suddenly remember something.

"Where is Ilhena?" She said to meet on this floor, right? Initially, the big lizard appeared abruptly; hence, I could not think about it, but now that I have killed it, where is she? I curiously and earnestly look around the room, even going as far as turning the stones.

"What are you doing?" An unmistakable voice I recognize calls behind me, compelling me to turn abruptly.

"Ilhena?" Her look puzzles me as it is far from what I envisioned her to be.

"What were you expecting?" Her mischievous voice awakens something within me, I don't know what it is, but maybe I will know it later.

Honestly, I wasn't expecting her to look like this. I thought she was a bat the same as me. Though it has to be said, her looks are incredibly charming. Long silver hair draping over her back, her juicy lustrous red lips, makes me wonder how satisfying it would be to bite them. And something about her red eyes captivates me.

[Appraise]

Human: the second race to be recorded by the Akashic records and one of the races that can't be found in dungeons. Beware of their cunning.

"Oh my, already using your skills on me?" Ilhena's voice interrupts my appraisal, and I turn to her. "This is a disguise. I'm not a human." Her voice is stern and unnatural. Does she hate humans? Then why is she disguising as one? 

To me, if she doesn't like humans, she shouldn't disguise herself as one, just like me, who wouldn't stoop so low to shapeshift into a goblin.

That aside, there is something that is bothering me, "how are you flying? Is it a skill?" Ilhena has no wings, yet she's floating.

"Indeed, it is a skill. Your [fly] will reach such heights in the future."

Her explanation reveals something wonderful that I should look forward to.

"You'll know more about me in our travels. How about we start your evolution? I've been here for a long time, even for me."

I, too, want to experience the outside world that she speaks of, but the evolution process is scary, "how about I do it later?" I ask, expecting her to agree.

"Pffttt!" She tries to hold back a laugh, but it is fruitless. What is she laughing at? I'm serious about not wanting to experience such pain again.

"Don't worry. Your body should have adapted to it by now. It won't be as painful," I'm doubtful, but I choose to trust her. Besides, what is a little pain? I can't let fear be an obstacle. With that, I call out.

"[Evolve],"

I can feel my body shutting down but not after I'm assaulted by pain, "Ilhena, you liar," her figure is hazy and distant.

****

~Ilhena's POV~

His overreaction to the little pain amuses me. The difference between him now and when we first met to initiate the current plan is huge, but he is not to be blamed as he is still too weak. Thinking of that, my thoughts wandered years back when we met. I was a lonely heart with no equal. Everyone had to look up to me, but then he appeared... oops, I shouldn't let my thoughts wander off. I have to oversee his evolution.

Though I say evolution, I'm sure he isn't going to succeed. He should only semi-evolve and unlock some skills.

Looking at his body expanding and contracting makes my heart shudder. I channel my mana to his body. Sorry, this is all I can do. Time passes on, and his evolution finally stops. His breathing rate tells me he's asleep. How adorable. I'm unable to process how such a cute being can kill without blinking.

His current body looks bigger than before, and his fur is silky black. His path is no longer the same as his race. 

For our future, I have a lot planned. I hope it will be entertaining for both of us.

****

~the bat's POV~

I narrowly open my eyes. Where am I?.. Oh, I was evolving. I struggle to my feet. They look the same? Only bigger? This puzzles me as I was expecting a new look. A glance at my body, and I can tell nothing, but my size has changed. Did I evolve?

"Second evolutions are strange like that, to fully evolve. You must clear a task the Akashic grants you," the voice reminds me of Ilhena's presence.

"What task?" I ask curiously.

"No one knows what task they will be given. All that is known is that it is something that you will most definitely do," I somehow understand, but I'm still disappointed about not fully evolving.

"Why don't you check your new skills? You like skills, don't you?" Do I have new skills? That's a pleasant surprise. But before that.

"What are these things I see floating?" Ever since I woke up, tiny colourful wisps have been floating obscuring my vision.

"Oh, you can already see mana?" It seems even Ilhena is surprised.

I have heard of mana before, but I didn't know I could see them. Is this a perk of my semi-evolution?

"Your mana channels leading to your core should have opened," as expected of Ilhena, always knowledgeable.

"That means you can invoke spells," If I remember correctly, spells should be the same as performing magic. Can I do that now?

"How do I start?" I ask excitedly. Performing magic is something I haven't tried before, so I'm very excited.

"We will do that once we are out of here, right now. You should check your skills," I was right, her eyes are charming and beautiful, almost like mine, but they are still not there yet.

Concentrating on myself, I call upon the new skills to study them.

Shadow hop: as a being born in the darkness, the shadow shall forever be your home. This active skill allows you to jump from shadow to shadow as you stalk your prey. High-level opponents might detect you.

 

Blood manipulation: for you to exist, a lot of blood was shed. Countless beings were slaughtered. This skill allows you to control the blood of both weaker and strong opponents. Strong opponents have a high chance of resisting.

 

Blood shadow: capture a soul and fuse it with your potent blood to create loyal servents that protect and carry out your orders from the shadows. The number of blood servants is dependent on yours and the skill level

 

Vampire king: no creature can match the purity of your blood. With a bite, if you wish, you can convert others into your loyal servants and slaves.

"Holy bat, just how wonderful are these skills?" These skills' number and potential make the pain I endured to level up and evolve worthy. 

"Amazing, right?" I can feel the excitement in Ilhena's voice. Maybe my skills make her happy.

"How about we go and try them out?" Ilhena summons a portal, the outside world. Here I come. I hope you are prepared.

Hi there, with this the dungeon arc is over. Now I can work on the other tags as I world build.

Remember to favorite and add to your library.

You can suggest a vampiric name.

15