Chapter 12: Urge to discover (not really)
161 3 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The bandit looked at the scene of his companion collapsing confusingly. He stood there staring at Nadia and then suddenly rushed at her.

The receptionist girl was caught off guard and clumsily pulled the trigger. Luckily the bullet hit right in the man’s heart, and he fell down afterward.

“Shit, charge!” The other bandits shouted, and all of them attacked at once.

Mai used her spear effectively, killing one thug with a thrust or slash even though the weapon was made out of stone. “Listen. I don’t know where you got that gun, Nadia. But try to shoot at the head, okay?” She turned back to say.

“Y-Yes!” Nadia stuttered.

Mai ran at the thugs and fought brutally. If the enemies weren’t defending themselves, she would immediately pierce their heart, throat, or brain. If they were in a defensive stance, however, she would spin and release the force with a kick in their rib, tearing their lungs apart.

Gunshots rang up occasionally with Nadia using her pistol but as inexperienced as she was, most of the shots were missed, but still, three bandits were hit in the skull.

“Such a waste of ammo! Give me the gun!” Mai shouted as she observed the clumsiness of Nadia’s aim.

“Here!” The receptionist threw the Glock to Mai.

The minimalist girl caught the gun, but she saw that the slider was not in place. “Mag is empty! You bring spare ones?” Said as she flung the magazine out of the pistol with such a monstrous strength that it knocked a bandit unconscious.

The receptionist threw her a spare magazine from her pocket. “Please catch this!”

Mai reloaded the gun as soon as she received the mag and immediately scored three headshots. She held the spear with only one hand, and the other one was for the pistol. With another weapon, the girl had a much easier time dealing with the enemies.

The bandits tried to retreat when their number was reduced to ten, but Mai gave chase and killed six of them.

 

“I can’t believe you are that strong, Mai… You weren’t lying… So, can you return my gun?”

The girl put the gun away, not giving it to the receptionist. “Sorry, my friend, but where did you get this dangerous toy?”

“Uh, what…? The guild gave me…?”

“Care to elaborate?”

That was when Mai discovered that the country was undergoing massive industrialization, and firearms such as bolt-action rifles were replacing the positions of swords in the military. Assault rifles and battle rifles existed but weren’t produced in England because the two countries safeguarded the technology as they didn’t want to leak it.

“And said countries are….” Nadia unfolded a map in front of Mai and pointed.

The girl was taken aback by the map because it was extremely familiar. There was no way a person from Earth like her could forget it because it was the map of Earth itself. Even though some of the borders and countries were different, the continents were the same.

The two countries that the receptionist pointed at were the United Socialist Soviet Republic and the United States of America, which Nadia said were the most powerful and developed.

Mai returned the gun to Nadia after a long explanation. “So sorry for keeping this. But now I wonder why I don’t see any adventurers that use firearms around?”

Nadia took the gun back. “Well, you would need to have a firearms usage permit in order to buy guns legally, and the adventurers think of it as a pain.”

“Okay… so what about you?”

“As you can see from the incident earlier, my profession is not exactly safe, so I would need to have something to defend myself. However, I’m not the kind that’s suited to use a melee weapon, and my magic proficiency is not great either, so the guild suggested I get a gun, turns out the real deal is much harder to use than the fake one I used to get the permit….”

There was a moment of quiet between the two, then Mai broke the ice. “Anyway, I suggest we set aside this stuff for later and complete the rank-up test first. You still have things to record, don’t you?”

“Yes, alright then.”

 


 

It was pretty late in the afternoon after Mai completed everything and went back to the guild with Nadia to update the card, so she ran back to her base.

The girl noticed that the carrots were already half-grown, which was supposed to take three weeks but instead took only a day. Wow, the magic garden is much more OP than I expected.

She could feel her stomach grumbling, so she went and made a fireplace. Hmm, what should I cook now? Oh, I remember killing some wolves on my way back, so let’s try the new [Meat stew] recipes.

Mai filled the pot with water and placed it on the fire, and then she went to butcher the wolves’ carcasses while waiting for the water to boil.

With the prepared ingredients, the girl followed the recipes in her [Engrams] window.

 

Look nothing special, to be honest, let me try a bit. Thought Mai as she looked at her results and ate a spoonful of the stew. Well, it’s rather delicious. Then she drank a whole bowl of it in one go.

 

HP +20

Food +25

Water +10

 

So the amount of HP recovered is equal to [Carrot stew], huh? Good to know. Thought as she ate four more bowls of it and stored the rest in her <Inventory>.

Before going to sleep, Mai used the remaining meat to cook more [Meat stew].

Let’s see… This planet is the same as Earth, so is it an alternate universe? Or am I on the Earth itself? I don’t know, and I don’t have to be impatient either. I will probably find out sooner or later… That was some of her pondering before she was deep in dreams.

 

As usual, thank you for reading.

Join my Discord please we’re lacking members: https://discord.gg/kkE3nyn9bW

7