Vol 1 Chapter 7: My Own Magic
139 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After more than 4 years, it’s finally time for the final exam. The written exam will start next week, while the practical exam is on the week after. I don’t really have problem with my grades so I should do the written exam well, is what I want to say, but life isn’t that nice. I have always struggle with the civic education. Even in my previous life, my grades on civic education and social science are barely above average. And civic education here is the combination of both, so it’s not weird if I struggle with it.

Of course, there is no such thing as failing the final exam. Everyone will graduate and continuing to the Advanced Academy isn’t even a must. Not many people will ask about your grade in Elementary Academy, even when you apply for a job, so it’s really just a formality. But, because I want to go the Advanced Academy, things are different.

I’m not really a diligent student type, so I would like to avoid taking the entrance test if possible. Which mean I have to go with the recommendation option. Unfortunately, civic education is one of the subjects that the adventurer division consider to be important. Well, just thinking about it will change nothing, so I head to the teacher’s office.

“Oh, if it isn’t Marz. Do you need something?”

There’s only Mr. Darwin in the room. He is actually a friend of Uncle Peter and Uncle Deim and started calling me Marz after he visited us 3 years ago. But he also has a habit of calling people by their first name, so that event may have nothing to do with it.

“I’m looking for Mr. Callid, do you know where he is?”

“Oh, Mr. Gallus? I think he just left. Do you need anything from him?”

“I want to ask for extra lesson.”

“Ooh aren’t you diligent. Do you want a recommendation for Advanced Academy entrance?”

“Ah, yes, I want to go to the adventurer division.”

“I thought you want to follow Viciny to the alchemy division, haha. Hmm, true, if you want to go to the adventurer division by recommendation, you’ll need a high grade on civic, zoology, and magic. Ah, why don’t you ask Deim to teach you? He was an adventurer.”

“Uncle Deim was an adventurer?”

First time I hear that. Well, I have never talk about becoming an adventurer to him, so I guess that’s why he never mentions it to me.

“I guess I will ask him. Thank you for the advice, Mr. Darwin”

* * *

“You want to be an adventurer? Why didn’t you tell me sooner?”

“Because you never ask? I guess I forgot, hehe.”

“I thought you want to go to the alchemy division, since Viciny is there.”

“Why does everyone think like that… Anyway, Mr. Darwin told me you were an adventurer, so can you teach me civic? I think I need better grades for recommendation.”

“Gregor told you that? Haha, it’s an old story. You never ask so I’ve never thought of telling you. Guess I’m the one giving a bad example, hahaha. So, what are you struggling with?”

“There are just too many stuffs to remember, like all those kingdoms and countries and their history. Do I really need to remember all of them?”

“Haha, you’ve always been bad at remembering details like that, right? It will be easier if you remember it like a story. Let’s study after dinner.”

“Okay, sounds good to me.”

And like that, I’ve secured my grade on civic education. Now what’s left is just practicing magic for the practical exam. Ms. Wyllt said we will have to cast magic of 2 types. The types will be chosen by lottery, and we can either cast two magic or one spell that use those 2 types magic. Because of the mechanism, we have to practice all type of magic to prepare for the exam. I already have an image of magic I’ll cast on exam, but right now I have to focus on the written exam.

* * *

Today, I wake up early to practice before the exam. Big Sis Viciny happens to wake up early too, so she ends up watching me practice.

“Next, if you get the erasure type, what would you do?”

“Hmm, I think I would do this one.”

I clap my hand, and no sound comes out.

“What did you do?”

“I clapped my hand.”

“But I didn’t hear anything.”

“Exactly. Hmm, Big Sis Viciny, you see that puddle over there? Try walking over it. And put some force in your steps.”

“What, why? I don't want to wet my shoes."

"Eeh, but you can dry it with magic later. Anyway, you would expect a sound of water splash, right?"

"Um yeah."

"Now watch this."

I step on the puddle and make some splash. But while doing that, I also surround the air around my feet with mana and eliminate a layer of air, creating a vacuum. Because sound is a mechanical wave, it can't travel in vacuum, so we don't hear any sound from the water.

"Oh, I see, your magic erase sound. So cool."

"Yeah, something like that. I actually erase the air, so the sound can't travel to our ear."

"Ooh you actually describe the mechanism well. You're really ready for the exam, aren't you."

"Yeah. Thanks to you I can prepare the description."

Big Sis Viciny told me earlier that we also have to explain why our magic work. It's really a good thing that she accompanies me practicing.

"What about conjuration magic?"

"I think I'll just go with a fireball."

I said that while creating a fire on my palm

"It's quite bland."

“Actually, I can change its size and color, but that’s all.”

“Hee, isn’t that cool.”

"I guess. I'll just hope I don't get conjuration and emission."

"What is the emission one?"

"This."

I create a light from my finger, just like a flashlight, and point it to Big Sis Viciny's face.

"Hey, it's bright. Geez, what are you doing? So, it’s light?"

“Yeah, I can also control its size and intensity.”

“Hmm, all of your magic seems to be useful for an adventurer.”

“Well that’s the idea. I’m going now. Thank you for your feedback.”

“Good luck!”

I can’t disappoint Big Sis Viciny after she help me that much. It’s not just Big Sis Viciny, everyone has been supporting me. I will get a good score and get a recommendation for Advanced Academy entrance.

For this magic practical exam, all of the students are divided into several group. I ended up in the same group with Hermes. They also provide random stuffs should we need some instrument to help us show our magic.

Our examiners are Mr. Darwin and Principal Daas Kalos. Since the principal is the one examining me, it’s a good chance to show my skills and get a recommendation.

“Next, Marz Evanest.”

“Yes.”

It’s finally my turn. The girl before me casted a really great offensive fire ball, so I hope I don’t get conjuration type. Principal Daas Kalos put his hand inside a box and pull out two folded paper.

“Let’s see, you get alteration and control type. You can use those stuffs over there to demonstrate your magic.”

“Thank you, then I will choose these.”

I pick a sheet of paper and tear it into two pieces. I hold one of them with two hands and show to Principal Daas Kalos and Mr. Darwin.

“Can you please pierce it with your pencil?”

They do as I said with a curious face. Somehow I feel excited. Is this how magicians feel when they do magic trick?

“Now I will cast an alteration magic on this paper. It will strengthen the paper. Now please do the same with this paper. You should need to put more energy to pierce it, if you can pierce it at all.”

They tried to do it like before, but the paper doesn’t get pierced. Instead, it stretched, like when you push a plastic bag with your finger. Of course they wouldn’t think like that, since there’s no plastic in this world. They make an impressed face and start writing their evaluation.

“Can you do that to any material?”

Principal Daas Kalos ask me with an evaluating eye. This is it, the part where I have to explain the mechanism of my magic.

“Theoretically, yes. But I have to do slightly different things for a different material. For now, I can only strengthen paper and fabric.”

“And what exactly did you do to that paper?”

What I really do is strengthen the molecular bond between the atoms of the paper, but will they understand if I explain it with my scientific terms? I’ll just try my best.

“Everything is made up of tiny particles, right. Particles so tiny that it can’t be seen. I strengthen the bond between those particles.  So, even if it’s pushed, it won’t break. Instead, it will be stretched like before.”

“Hmm. Interesting. Okay, now please do a control magic.”

“Yes. And for that…”

I pick candle and put it on the examiner’s desk. I then point my index finger toward the candle, almost touching it, and concentrate on my magic. A few seconds after that, the candle disappear. No, it doesn’t disappear. Rather, it become invisible. Mr. Darwin looks confused.

“And how is making a candle disappear a control magic.”

“I didn’t make it disappear, I make it invisible. The candle is still there, you can touch it.”

Mr. Darwin try to grab the candle and is shocked when he grabs it

“Ah, please don’t move it to much, the effect will disappear.”

“It’s okay, you can undo it now. Then, please explain the mechanism.”

“Well, to see something means lights coming from or reflected by that thing get into our eye, so I made the light coming into that candle go around it instead. Hence, the candle didn’t reflect any light, so it became invisible.”

Mr. Darwin seems to be amazed by my explanation, while Principal Daas Kalos keeps his serious face. But even though his face is serious, he doesn’t give any pressure at all. I guess he’s a friendly guy.

“How did you come up with an idea of such a complicated magic?”

“Hmm, because I want to go to the adventurer division of Advanced Academy and become a great adventurer, I think it would be nice to come up with creative ways to use magic.”

“Ooh, so you want to go the adventurer Advanced Academy?”

Principal Daas Kalos flips through the papers on his desk

“Considering your grades and the magic you just performed, I guess it highly likely we can give you a recommendation. If you’re interested, please come to my office after the exam is over.”

Oooh, I nailed it. The principal himself said I can get a recommendation. With this, I’m one step closer to my goal. Are you watching me right now, goddess? This horse you placed your bet on is working hard to be the best adventurer. I hope she’s satisfied with my life up until now.

5