Vol 1 Chapter 8: The Fast and The Fiery
119 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After coming to the Advanced Academy, I realized one thing. That is, you don’t have to be a fresh graduate of Elementary Academy to enter Advanced Academy. Although it’s a popular option, many people take a break from academic world before entering Advanced Academy. Most of them work or help out their parents. And although it’s rare, sometimes there are kids that haven’t graduated from Elementary Academy. I guess they’re pretty smart, so they just let them go to the Advanced Academy before finishing the Elementary Academy.

“It’s a good thing we are in the same group, isn’t it Marz?”

“Hmm? Oh, yeah.”

Hermes starts a conversation with me while I’m observing members of our group. Although yesterday we did tour the academy in a group, it’s just based on our registration time.

“Hey Hermes, do you know that blond guy over there? He seems to be popular even though he’s in the same year as us.”

“You don’t know Jovan Olympus?”

“Is he someone famous? Oh, is he the type that do something after he graduated Elementary Academy, before coming here?”

“No. In fact, rumors said that the academy recommended him to at least 2 divisions since he was in fourth grade.”

“Is that possible? Rather, I don’t remember seeing at all in Elementary Academy.”

“That’s because he went to the north one?”

“What north one?”

“North Elementary Academy, what else.”

“There are other Elementary Academy?”

“Of course there are. Wait, you didn’t know? Beside our East Elementary academy, there are north one and west one. Your sister didn’t tell you this?”

“No, first time I hear it.”

“Hmm… So this how you feel every time I ask you about homework.”

“Anyway, is the rumor true?”

“I don’t know. It’s a rumor after all. But he is a distant relative of neighboring kingdom’s royalty. His mom is a scholar at Magic High Order Academy, so maybe he’s really talented in magic.”

While we’re discussing about our own classmate, that’s literally in the same room, a teacher with big build enters the room. Everyone swiftly sits on their respective seats.

“Morning everyone, and welcome to the Adventurer Division of Advanced Academy. I’m Viz Magnus, this group’s mentor. First, unlike in the Elementary Academy, you may be moved to other group. As you may know, adventurers work in a group, called party. Our goal in this academy is to prepare all of you students to set out as an adventurer right after you graduate. With that in mind, it’s highly recommended that you make your party here, among the students. Of course you can later disband and each join a more experienced party, but keep in mind that some classes is designed specially to teach you as a party. Not only will it train you how to work in a group, you will also bond with your party more. We will talk more about party system later. For now, we will discuss about what you will learn here. You, boy with short, gray hair. Help me distribute this books.”

And thus, Hermes. Reluctantly, distribute the paper to everyone in the class. It’s filled with informations of all the subjects, activities, facilities, and much more of what we will expect to find here in the academy. It’s basically a student handbook. Mr. Magnus explain things as we read it on the handbook.

Each student will belong to a home group and a focus group. A home group is where students will learn general knowledge and skill for adventurer, much like the system used in Elementary Academy. On the other hand, the focus group is based on student’s combat role in their own party. It’s like class or job system in games, but apparently they don’t use those terms here. Although the term written is ‘combat role’, it seems it also include other noncombat skills.

“You will spend your first year mostly in that focus group. At the end of the year, you can turn in the form for party formation. It’s not a compulsion, but we highly suggest you to be in a party. There are some solo adventurer out there, but unless your skills and knowledge are exceptional, you will have a hard time.”

Wow, they really stress the point of being in a party. The parts about party in the student handbook are even underlined.

“Starting next year, you will be in the same home group as your party, hence some of you may be moved to other group. At the end of each following year, you can submit a form to transfer to other party, disband your party, or form a new party. It has to be consented by every member of parties that’s involved. You can also submit a form to change focus group. So, during this year, be sure to get to know your fellow freshmen and submit your party formation form at the end of the year.”

* * *

There are four focus groups in each year; close combat, ranged, offensive magic, and support. With my versatile magic, I think I could join support group. But in the end, I chose close combat, simply because I want to use a sword. The close combat group’s mentor, Mr. Francis Serrao, was an adventurer before he teach here. Many teachers here were an adventurer before. It seems the competition in adventurer business is really tight.

“Tomorrow we will have a joint class with the offensive magic. If you already have friends there, it’s good. If you haven’t, it could be a good chance to get to know your friends that might end up in the same party as you.”

It will be the first time for us, close combat group, to have a joint class with other group. Yet, it seems everyone has already make friend with a few people from other focus group.

“Hey Marz, you know someone from the magic group?”

Hermes asks me while we get back to our home group’s class.

“No. Why?”

“‘Why,’ you ask? It’s already half a year and we only know each other! What are we gonna do with our party?”

“Our party?”

“Huh? You already have your own party?”

“No, of course not. I just thought that you already submit the form.”

“Geez, don’t surprise me like that.”

He sit on the seat right behind me. It’s not his seat. He just want to talk and the seats next to me already has their owner on them.

“I know your magic can do many stuff, but we can’t form a party just from 2 combat group’s students.”

“I know, but it’s not like we can’t just ask stranger to join our party.”

“That’s why we should get to know other students. All you’re thinking about is your big sister. When you go home right after class is over, other people are making their looking for their party members. If we don’t do it from now too, all the people with good skill will have their party already.”

“Aren’t we all have good skill? After all, we passed the entrance test. Or got a recommendation.”

Suddenly a girl with short, pale orange hair joins our conversation. Her bright red eyes show annoyance as she glance at Hermes.

“And who are you?”

Not good. He really can’t read the atmosphere.

“Venus Calor, offensive magic group. Also the owner of that seat.”

“Ah, sorry. Nice to meet you, I’m Hermes Celeri.”

Venus raises her eyebrow. For some reason, she’s getting more irritated by Hermes.

“Haa? I know who you are. We were in the same group in Elementary Academy.”

Oh, I remember her. During the magic final exam, she casted her magic before me.

“Hermes, she was in the same group as us. She even casted an amazing fireball right before me.”

“See, even Evanest remember me. It’s no wonder you don’t have anyone in your party beside him.”

Uh, did I just worsen the situation? Looks like Hermes is also starting to lose his temper.

“So you must be in a team with top students.”

“That is… none of your business.”

“Oh, so you don’t have party either. Don’t you have friends that’s good enough for your party?”

“That is... also none of your business!”

I think I should break them up, since Mr. Magnus can come any second now.

“So, uh, Venus. If you haven’t got a party, do you want to join me and Hermes?”

“Hey Marz, don’t decide things on your on!”

I invited Venus to our party, but Hermes is the one who responded.

“Thanks for the invitation Evanest, but I think I will decline it… for now.”

“What is it?”

I think I heard her mumbling something after rejecting my invitation, but I didn’t catch the word.

“No-nothing! Anyway, you are not forgetting the fact that that seat is mine right, Celeri?”

“Of course, I’m just about to get back to my seat.”

A few minutes after that interaction, Mr. Magnus enter the class.

* * *

“My name is Francis Serrao, this year’s close combat focus group’s mentor. This is Ms. Morgana Wyllt, the offensive magic focus group’s mentor.”

Mr. Serrao introduce himself to the offensive magic group’s students, and then introduce Ms. Wyllt to us, close combat group’s students. She’s quite similar to Ms. Wyllt from Elementary Academy, but her hair is dark purple, almost black. I’m assuming they are twins, since no one seems to bother with the fact that they look similar, apart from their identical last name.

“As you all know, today we are having a joint class for close combat group and offensive magic group. First, we would like to have someone from both groups to demonstrate a teamwork for fighting an enemy. I have prepare this golem for the demonstration. Let’s see… Ms. Calor, why don’t you come here as the offensive group’s representative. As for the close combat student, I’ll leave that to Mr. Serrao.”

Ms. Wyllt casted her magic to a stone statue and make a golem. After looking around her student’s she pick Venus to come forward to give demonstration. I know how it feels to be asked to give a demonstration by Ms. Wyllt. The other Ms. Wyllt that is.

“Ah, then… Mr. Celeri, come here and accompany Ms. Calor to defeat this golem.”

Ah, it’s really funny how the world works. Hermes and Venus both looks reluctant to cooperate with each other, but of course they can’t turn down the teachers’ request. I catch a glimpse of them bickering with each other as Mr. Serrao and Ms. Wyllt tell us to observe the demonstration.

“Okay then, please start.”

Ms. Wyllt announce as she snap her finger. In instant, the golem starts to move. It readies its stance for a melee combat. Hermes, holding the training sword, immediately rushes to the golem, while Venus prepares to cast her magic. She conjure a fireball on her hand, and shoot it toward the golem, with Hermes right between them. The fireball seems to be a lot smaller than the one she casted on the exam. Of course all of us who watched are confused because confidently shoot a fireball at Hermes as he charges recklessly at the golem. I’m sure he doesn’t even notice a fireball is flying towards him from back.

As the fireball approach Hermes, it splits into two and goes around Hermes. Everyone seems to be surprised by the event, except for Venus and Hermes. The fireballs hits the golem’s arms and explode, letting out a smoke. Hermes, not slowing down at all since he started running, go through the smoke. As the smoke clears out, we see Hermes standing there holding his sword. The golem has been cut into two.

* * *

After the class ends, I’m about to go back to home group class with Hermes when Mr. Serrao stops us to talk to Hermes.

“What a wonderful display that you showed us back there. It seems you and Ms. Calor trusted each other with your back. Are you planning to form party together?”

“Uh, that’s…”

Before Hermes can finish his sentences, Mr. Serrao spots Venus and calls her over.

“Ms. Calor. Are you planning to form a party together?”

“? Actually, we have no such plan, sir.”

“Really? I thought you have a nice teamwork, and it would be nice if you form party together. Well then, sorry to keeping you.”

He leaves us and heads back to prepare his next class.

“So, he said you make a good team. What do you think, Hermes, Venus?”

“Well, I would say so myself, but anyone can do that?”

“That’s right. There’s nothing special with Celeri and my teamwork.”

Even if that’s true, I do think that her skills is one of the tops. If possible, I would like her to be in our party.

“Is that so? Mr. Serrao even said it would be nice if you’re in a same party. So how about it, Venus? Would you like to reconsider my offer to form a party with us?”

“Well, I… would think about it. It’s not like I do it because of you two, okay! It-it’s because… it’s because Mr. Serrao said it’s a good idea. Right.”

Why did she said those line? Is she a tsundere?

“Well, we will wait for your response. Right, Hermes?”

Hermes look at me with a sigh

“I’ll just trust you on this one.”

Nice, we’ve got offensive magic user in our party. She hasn’t said yes yet, but judging from her attitude, it’s likely going to be positive. She is also a tsundere, so I’ll note it down. Just in case.

4