Chapter 18
140 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Age: 20 years, 3 months

Asher sat in a black, empty room. The only thing with him were three small brown chairs, one of which he sat in. He whispered to himself while waiting, occasionally glancing up towards a small display, but the message didn't blink.

“Come on mom, dad... hurry it up,” he said while his foot tapped on the ground nervously. He leaned back in the chair, far enough it would have toppled over if the programing would allow it. Finally, a small message popped up from his parents and he gulped. “O-okay Asher. You can do this. You're strong. You're brave. You've taken down monsters that most people have never even seen up close. They're just your parents and t-they'll understand...” He hugged his knees to his chest and waited. Any minute and they'd arrive.

Another small message popped up, warning him of their imminent arrival and he quickly put his legs down. “Okay. Here they come, deep breaths.” With a sudden sparkle, his parents appeared in the chairs in front of him. “H-hi mom. Hi dad.” He lowered his gaze to the ground, his stomach doing flips while he tried to keep calm..

“Asher, what's wrong?” his mother asked before getting to her feet, taking a step forward before stopping.

“I... I have something important to tell you. It's...” Asher choked on the words and fidgeted in his chair. “I know I'm dying. I have less than a year before... before it's all over. All the machines keeping me alive, I know they won't work forever. Before I die, I want you to know what I've been doing. What I've done.”

“Is this about your games?” his father asked.

“Yes,” he said before getting to his feet and walking towards the back of the room, dragging his feet slowly. He tapped on one of the walls and it turned blue. “I wanted to tell you why I decided not to... be put down,” he said with another sigh. “I'm going to show you.”

A moment later the wall was covered with images. Pictures of the great beasts they'd slaughtered, pictures of his friends and, most importantly, pictures of Asura. Her angel, demon, leviathan, dragon and fae forms, each with different armors and master weapons. “This is what I've been doing.”

“Pictures of your game?” his mother asked before exchanging confused looks with his father.

Asher shook his head. “No. Not just... the game. It's what I've done in the game. This is who I am,” he said before motioning to his character and sighed. “I go by the name Asura. I am one of the most famous characters in the world. I've killed monsters no one else has been able to. Explored locations no one else could find. If I had more time, I could have even become a professional player in the game. This is what I've spent my last years doing. Practicing, training, all in order to do one thing.”

“You play a woman?” his father asked with wide eyes.

Asher stopped and gave a sigh. “Never mind. This was stupid. I really thought I could just... I just want to do something with my life, okay?” he yelled before turning to them, the two leaning back from the sudden outburst. “I can't do anything, I can't be anything in the real world! Here, I can! I can do whatever I want! I can become someone people admire and look up to, not someone they feel bad for! Not someone they pity!”

His father slowly leaned forward. He opened his mouth a few times, but didn't say anything. Finally, he nodded. “I understand, son. I've told you before, all we want is for you to be happy. If this... game makes you happy, we won't try to stop you. I'm just confused as to why you didn't tell us sooner.”

“I... well... just...” Asher's face turned red before he tapped on the wall and the images disappeared. “I didn't want you two to think I was weird because I was playing a girl. I-it's not because I'm doing anything creepy with it. It's just... I... I wanted to be anyone, but me.” He clenched his hands into fists. “Being Asura has been... amazing. I get to do so much. See so much. I can travel the world.” His right hand moved up to gently rub his other arm. “I'm sorry I never told you what I was doing but... I'm telling you now. I want you to see what it is I've been working on with my little bit of time. I didn't want to keep this from you, forever...”

His mother nodded before standing back up, walking over and giving him a tight hug. “Oh, Asher. We understand. If this is what you want to do, what you plan to do, we'll support it. Always.”

He smiled and hugged her back. “Thanks, mom, dad. It really means a lot to me that you understand. I uhhh... I've really done a lot in it, actually. I'm one of only about a hundred players who will have a chance at a sixth, and final, mastery this year. I'm going to try it, as soon as I have the chance,” he said. “If I make it I'll be one of the most famous players in the game.”

“That's nice, dear,” his mother said before slowly pulling from the hug and walking back to his father. The two shared another concerned look.

After a moment his dad let out a sigh and smiled. “So, tell us about some of the things you've done. How about that big dragon thing? Is that the... boss?”

His face lit up before he tapped on the wall a few times until Niohoggr appeared on the screens. “Oh, it's not just a boss. It's a legendary, nearly invincible boss. Me and my friends were the first to ever defeat it and we barely succeeded earlier this year. So, what happened was...”

------

Asher leaned back in the chair after his parents finally logged out. He held his chest and softly chuckled. After a few moments he tapped on the menus before giving B4hamutt a call. He quickly enabled Asura's voice filter as well.

“How did it go?” the dragon asked instantly.

“Great. I feel amazing. I can't believe I've finally told them everything,” he said before beginning to log into LRVR.

“So you told them about me, too?” B4hamutt asked with a chuckle.

“I... uhhh... sorta.” Asher made a soft squeak before looking down. “Hold on, I'm logging in.” His body and the world around him disappeared, replaced by a featureless black void, before he reappeared as Asura.

She was laying in her nice, warm bed. “I... told them. But my dad looked so startled I just kind of laughed it off. Mom said I was obviously joking and I didn't correct them. Sorry, h-how mad are you?”

“I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed. I did tell you that you could leave that out, but if you wanted to tell them you should have stuck with it. Did you tell them about, well...”

“Just disappointed? That's harsh,” Asura said before hopping out of her bed. “That I'm going to be dead, pretty much guaranteed before the next event? No. I want them to think my goal is still... achievable. Even if I can't do that, there are still things I want to do.” She moved to her desk and took out a brush. “I feel... happy when I'm here. I want to enjoy it as long as I can. I want to have all of you, as long as I can.”

“I know. What do you want to do tonight? I don't have work in the morning, so I can do as much as you like.”

She sighed and slowly looked through her clothing options. “I want to go to the neutral territories. Get something to eat. Not think about the war or monsters or anything. Just... hang out for a bit. Skyth is still looking into the angel special boss, right?”

“Yeah. She has a few ideas of where it could be, she's been looking into them the last few days. Nothing major yet,” B4hamutt said, then let out a grunt. She couldn't help but smile, while she imagined him trying to find the right outfit to wear for her.

“Neutral territories. There's a nice little NPC shop where we can pick up some delicious desserts. I feel like just eating a bunch of sweets today,” Asura said before a dress formed in her hands. It was backless and went down to her ankles. It was coated in liquid rubies, making the dress seem to almost ripple while it sparked a brilliant red. The front was a little low cut as well, perfect for showing off a small amulet, bearing her angel wing crest. She then pulled out a pair of matching elbow-length gloves.

“Really? You know, you're going to ruin your supper like that,” he said with a chuckle. “I'll meet you on the roof in about twenty minutes, okay?”

“Deal,” Asura said and the call ended. She started getting dressed. Technically she could have the clothes just appear on her, but she didn't want to. She sighed softly while she enjoyed the feel of the fabric moving on her skin before she slowly slid it on. She blushed when she looked at herself in the mirror. “It... is a lot more fun getting dressed for someone else, isn't it?” she asked her reflection before letting out another sigh. She put her hands on the desk and nearly fell over.

Her breathing stopped and her heart beat erratically. The fear of failing, of knowing she would die before she could get a chance to master the sixth class, crashed in on her all at once as she fell to her knees. Tears formed in her eyes and her entire body trembled.

“No... it's fine,” she whispered to herself. “I'm fine. It doesn't matter. I'm with my friends. I'm not alone. I'm not ALONE!” she yelled before slamming both fists down on the desk. After a few moments of panic, she finally managed to force the wave back and breath again. She focused on the evenings plans, the time she'd spend with B4hamutt. Told herself that was all that mattered.

------

Asura gulped and held her arms wrapped around her stomach, occasionally glancing towards the doorway. From her vantage point, on top of the Fortress of Everlight, she could see the war raging below. The attacking force was just enough to ensure the defenses were still there, but most the casual fighters had given up for the time being.

A number of people stared at her when they passed, her dress obviously not meant for combat. The only racial trait she had on were her wings. It still didn't stop people from eyeing her, even if just in curiosity. She couldn't deny, she loved the extra attention, but she still wished he'd hurry up.

B4hamutt finally made his way up the stairs and stopped, staring at her. She blushed and returned the gesture. For one of the first times she'd ever seen, he didn't look like a dragon. He was as tall and muscular as ever, but he had the body of an angel. Literally. His tuxedo was a dazzling white, studded with diamond buttons. His hair was long and tied back in a ponytail. They locked eyes for a moment before looking away.

“So, uhhh, what's he special occasion? You're always so... scaled,” Asura asked before lowering her gaze, her cheeks heating.

The other angel moved over and gently put a hand under her chin, making her look up at him. After a few seconds he leaned in and kissed her and they both closed their eyes. With a gentle hold of her shoulders he finally pulled away. “I wanted tonight to be special. Besides, I thought you might enjoy the look. Not to mention, if we try anything else tonight, it might be nice for you not to have my scales digging into your body. Even if I know you like it.”

Asura's face turned bright red and she punched him in the shoulder. “You... don't... gahhh! Let's just go!” she said with a hiss before turning and jumping off the roof. Within moments the two were flying from the fortress. They flew to the upper limits of the world, the clouds swirling by while the air got colder and thinner. When they came closer to the neutral territories, she felt her hand get squeezed. She looked to B4hamutt and smiled. “Couldn't resist holding my hand, huh?”

“I'd hold other parts of you, but it's dangerous when we're flying,” he said with a smile.

“Heh, you... oh, great. We got incoming,” she groaned and motioned to three players flying towards them.

“Huh? Who are they?”

“Raiders,” Asura said. “They move around outside the neutral zones. They won't attack once we're in, since they'll get both sides of the war on their butts. But outside it they'll attack anyone who moves. Think we should take them out?”

“No, three of them,” B4hamutt said quickly. “I don't want to ruin my suit, either. Let's just lose them in the cloud cover.”

“Ruin your... fighting won't ruin it,” Asura said with a quick laugh. “I think you're just lazy and afraid to fight a bunch of... huh. I wonder how many masteries they have. They might even have five, like us.”

“Maybe, I'd rather not find out. We're almost to neutral lands, anyway,” he said before tugging on her hand before the two descended rapidly. The wind blew by them, whistling through their feathers and hair. Asura glanced back and saw the three trying to chase, but giving up quickly. It was near impossible to keep up with such a dive without going in one themselves, and even harder to pull up from one correctly while in pursuit.

Once the raiders disappeared from view, the two pulled up and flew straight, gliding high over the trees until they saw a big brown wall. “There's the wall of Orphan Gully,” Asura said before glancing to him. “How about we head north and go to Diacoz?”

“Sounds good,” B4hamutt said before the two flew up, and over the wall. Down below, near the base, they could see a few players mingling about and chatting away in the small outpost. “I'll never understand why everyone goes here.”

“Because it's the main entrance,” she said with a smile. “If you have business in the neutral lands, not much point to going deeper than you have to. This is the best place to find a few people, after all. If you want to find a group.”

“So, why do you want to go to Diacoz? It's just a bunch of farm land.”

“Because the cheese delights they have there are amazing! Didn't you hear? They've finally added pizza as a purchasable treat. Do you have any idea how long it's been since I've had pizza?”

The other angel cringed. “P-pizza? I... I can't eat any of that. I'm lactose intolerant. If I do that I'll... well...”

“It's a game. It's not real.” Asura burst into another soft chuckle. “I can't believe I have to remind you. Come on, we can enjoy our first pizza as a couple. I promise not to laugh if it makes you gassy.”

B4hamutt turned bright red and looked away. “It's not... it doesn't... fine. Let's go get your pizza.” He flapped his wings faster, taking great care not to look at her. She smiled at him, squeezing his hand while they flew.

“I'm happy I'm with you...” she whispered.

“Huh?”

“Nothing,” she said with a blush. She remained quiet until she caught sight of fields and barns off in the distance. “We're almost there! We'll be passing over the farms soon! Hee hee!”

“I can't believe how fast these wings make us,” B4hamutt said with an exasperated sigh. “I kinda wish I'd chosen them over dragon to begin with. The combat advantage is nice, but all this cut in travel time is just amazing.”

She snickered. “See? You should have just leveled up with me. It's fine though, we needed a tank after all. I doubt you could heal at all.”

“Hmph, healing is easy,” he said before starting his descent towards the small town as it appeared. “I'll just do what you do. Charge in, swinging a sword and occasionally toss out a heal if no one has died yet. And if they have, yell at them for standing in the fire.”

“I did a lot more than that! And if you STAND in the FIRE, of course you’re going to die! I can’t heal stupid!” she said with a glare. They touched down after a few moments and she looked around, pulling away from him. The town was small, only a few buildings, a prison and a handful of shops. She looked around before pointing towards a small stone building with a cut-out of a barrel over the door. “There! That's the diner.”

“We got dressed up... for this?” He cringed when a rat ran by. “No.”

“What? But it has pizza! Just because it looks like a slum, doesn't mean--”

“No,” he said again before grabbing her hand and flying off, dragging her behind him.

“H-hey! Where are we going?” she shrieked, flapping her wings to keep up.

“You'll see.”

------

Asura blushed while she sat in her chair. The entire building, tables and furniture seemed to be carved from ivory, with a single golden candle glowing between them. Unsurprisingly, there were a few other players in the restaurant, though she wasn’t completely sure they weren’t just NPCs meant to give atmosphere. They had a window view, the window slightly ajar and letting the soft summer breeze blow in from outside to ruffle their wings. “I didn't think you knew places like this,” she said sheepishly. “Especially not in the neutral lands.”

“I don't,” he said with a smirk. “But, with someone so special, I figured I'd have to take the extra effort.”

“How much gold is this costing you?”

“Not telling.” He reached out to take her hand in his, stroking it gently. “I have enough and I can always get more. The blush and smile on your face, though? That is much harder to acquire. You're usually making me blush.”

Asura squirmed and squeezed his hand. “How on earth... never mind. Let's just celebrate, okay? To telling my parents and not having them get mad.” She reached out and took her drink, filled with a red wine known as Fae's blood. They clinked their glasses together.

The world around her disappeared. Everything turned black and silent where she stood, floating in the void. She tried moving her arms and calling out, but nothing could be heard or felt. Panic began to rise and she tried touching the menus, but nothing. She finally realized where she was before panic bubbled up within her.

Asura was in the real world. She was Asher again. He couldn't feel, couldn't see, couldn't move. They'd disconnected him from the game. Why? His blood ran cold as the only answer he could think of filled his mind. It was time. They were going to execute him. If he was able to breath on his own he'd have started breathing faster. He struggled to move, even the slightest. Tried to blink, gurgle, beg for mercy, though even if he could he couldn't feel or hear it.

It felt like hours before something flashed into his vision. 'Connection lost, re-establishing.'

Then, as quickly as it had begun, she reappeared in her chair. Her drink was sitting, undisturbed, on the table. Her arms wrapped around herself, her body shaking violently. “O-oh god... I just...”

B4hamutt didn't notice, he seemed to be talking to someone, though no sound came out. He looked surprisingly pale. After a few seconds of her return, his hand tapped the air and he jumped to his feet. “Asura? What's wrong?” He gripped her shoulders, she could feel he was shaking just as badly as her. “Is something going on in the real world? You were gone almost ten minutes.”

“T-ten minutes?” she asked softly before shaking her head. “I-I don't know. I-I think they decided to pull the plug. To finish me off. I-I don't know why. I-I guess my parents were more upset t-than I thought...” Tears began to flood her face before she stood up. “I-I need to go. I-”

Suddenly she found herself pulled into his chest, his warmth enveloping her. “Easy girl, easy,” he whispered and stroked her back. “You were only gone about ten minutes. I bet the connection just cut out or someone tripped on the cord. You're not dead. Your parents aren't going to finish you off like this.”

“B-but, I just... I told them today. They're angry, they're going to kill me. I know it. They don't want me to k-keep playing Asura.” She sobbed and felt the panic bubble up inside her.

He shook his head before his hand moved up behind her head, gently patting it. “Shhhh... it's okay. It's okay. They aren't going to do that. You aren't going to die like that. Your parents wouldn't go through all this just to cut you off now,” he whispered before leaning down and kissing her forehead. “You told me about them. How much they care about you and look out for you. They wouldn't just let you die now because you play this character. Okay?”

Asura trembled against him, but slowly his words sunk in. She let out a soft sigh before smiling to him. “You're... you're right. They wouldn't. Someone probably just... just tripped on it or something.”

He nodded and continued to stroke her head. “There, see? It's all okay. Just relax. We'll order our food and have a nice date, okay?”

“Y-yes,” she whispered before looking up to him. “You... said you don't have work tomorrow, right?”

“Probably not, just on-call.”

“Then... can you stay on with me, today? Just... as long as you can?”

He nodded before kissing her once more on the lips. “Of course. I won't go anywhere without you...”

She hugged him tight one last time, content that, at least if she did pass away, she wouldn't be alone when it happened.

------

Asura's death didn't come, at least not yet. Days passed until, finally, she found herself hiding amongst dirt and rubble, staring up at an obsidian fortress, a darker replica of Everlight. Dark clouds hovered high overhead, tossing torrents of rain down on them. “So, that's Voidhall?” she asked.

“That's it,” B4hamutt whispered. The main entrance was already under assault, albeit only with a small force. “This will be difficult, so keep an eye out for the siege weapons.”

She nodded. “I know. It's been so long since we've done something like this. Excited?”

“And nervous. If we fail, that's it. The rest of the assault fails as well.”

She grinned and reached out to squeeze his hand. “I know. We'll be fine though. If anyone can do it, we can.”

“Oh, gag,” Skyth grumbled. “Why don't you two keep the make out sessions to when you're home?”

Asura's cheeks flared up. “We aren't, we weren't, we were just, I was just helping him calm down!”

“Sure you were,” Scalios said with a snicker. “Please try to remember that we are on a mission here.”

“I know,” Asura said angrily. “Okay, let's go. Remember, Scales, you take up the rear. You're the only one without the demon's stealth, so we don't want to risk you alerting them to the rest of us.”

“Don't worry, I got it. Let's go!” Scalios said before they looked to each other and nodded. One by one, they all disappeared into the shadows, aside from him. Asura activated her party finder, allowing her to see the outlines of the others before they took to the air and began their approach of Voidhall. She glanced back to the forested area they left behind, though it looked completely empty. She smiled at the thought of the dozens, possibly hundreds of players hiding in stealth, underground or any other assortment of locations throughout the trees.

The five approached as low to the ground as they could fly, struggling to stay in the shadows, each solid ray of light revealing them for a few seconds. They soon disappeared within the shadow of the fortress and flew straight up. She skimmed by the windows and glanced inside, frowning at the people she saw within. “There are a few people inside...”

“There is bound to be,” Scalios said with a sigh. “I wouldn't be surprised to see a few dozen. Once they realize what we're trying, there will be a lot more.”

Asura nodded before they cleared the roof and landed. A few NPC guards stood on the top, but they were quickly dispatched. The five looked around nervously, but nothing was there. “I thought this would be harder...”

“We haven't penetrated their defenses yet,” B4hamutt said before moving to the doorway. “Once we go inside, the alarms will go off. Remember, we'll be--”

“We know what we'll be doing,” Asura said before she moved up behind him. “Come on, the longer we wait, the more chances of someone coming out here to leave the fortress.

The dragon nodded and pushed open the door before the five charged inside. For a second, the world froze around them, before movement returned. They charged down the stairs into a large hallway. “Okay, separate!” B4hamutt yelled. “Keep moving, don't stop unless you find the siege master! Go!” He exited at the top of the stairs while the others continued down. Each level one left them, running across the floor. NPCs and a few lower level players barred their way, but were quickly cut down. On the fourth floor down, Asura ran into the hall.

“Okay, I'm in. I haven't seen any high level resistance yet, anyone else?” Asura asked before her dagger blocked and then cleaved through an NPC's axe.

“Nothing yet,” Andremedia said, though her breathing was fast. “Resistance seems fairly light.”

“Won't be for long,” B4hamutt said with a grunt. “Reinforcements should start arriving any moment, so be prepared for masters. Keep going!”

Asura nodded and ran down the halls, peeping into rooms when she passed. A few players quickly disappeared, though she didn't try to stop them. She neared the end of the hall when a she heard someone call out from behind her.

“Asura!”

She turned, a large demon stood at the end of the hall, his glaive held with the blade near the ground. “I've been waiting a long time for this. I'm sure you recognize me, it's time we finish our rivalry.”

She stared for a few moments before enabling local speak. “Star?”

“W-what? No! Caelite!” he yelled, his hands quivering now. “You... you do remember me, don't you? You crushed me back before I had my masteries? It was... you really don't remember?”

“I'm sorry,” Asura said before glancing to the side. “I used to fight a lot of people. Were you one of my bounties? Oh, wait! You were that guy who was… sorry. It’s been a long year.”

The demon's eye twitched. “You crushed my entire guild, we, gah! Never mind!” he yelled before charging at her and thrusting his glaive at her head. Her dagger shot out, deflecting the blow before she turned and ran. “What? Get back here you coward!”

“Sorry, can't!” she yelled before she re-enabled her party speak. “Okay, I've encountered a master level player. I don't know if he just arrived, but I think he did. Expect company. I'll try to lose him!” She said before lifting her sword up, snuffing out the candles when she ran.

“There are a few! I think I've found where they are holding the siege master. Third floor down,” Andremedia said, before letting out a cry. A moment later her gasping breath could be heard. “I-I'm out. Ow. I had to escape through a window. Oh sh--”

“Media? Media, what happened?” Skyth yelled. Asura turned a corner, melding into the shadows before Caelite ran by. The demon stopped and looked around, a few feet in front of her.

Asura held out her hand. “Ice wall.” It blocked off the hall, before she ran back the way she came down the stairs, fae-stepping through the halls to move faster. She heard pounding on the wall behind her, when the demon struggled to come after her.

“Sorry, back. Ow. Don't try flying out,” Andremedia said with a groan. “I got hit by a catapult amongst other things. Third floor down, it's there. Good luck. I'm re-spawning back at Everlight.”

“I'm almost to the stairway!” Asura said before turning the corner to the stairs. She froze at the sight of the players making their way up. “Incoming! I'll try to make my way up, but there are a lot of players!”

“I'm cut off!” Scalios yelled.

She let out a curse before she charged up the stairway and held out her hands. “Tornado!” She took the players by surprise before she leaped over their fallen bodies, a moment before turning and holding out both hands. “Ice wall! Okay, Skyth, Mutt, I'm almost to the floor. You two on your way down?”

“Yeah! It's clear up here,” B4hamutt said quickly.

“I'm almost to the stairs, I'll meet you there,” Skyth called. Asura nodded before running up the stairs and onto the targeted floor. She took one step into the hall before being sent hurtling back, twisting through the air before slamming into the wall.

“Owww...” she groaned from the ground, her weapons still clasped firmly in her hands. She slowly raised her head and her mouth fell open. “Star?”

“Asura?” 5t4r asked, staring at her from the opposite end of the crowded hall.

She slowly got to her feet, growling. She tapped the ground twice before appearing in front of him and cleaving down with Excalibur. He brought his own sword up to block it, holding it firmly in both hands. Her left hand moved out, hooking her dagger and its hand guard around his blade and pushing it aside before pulling her sword around. She spun once, cleaving her blade into his side. He let out a gasp of pain and stumbled back, falling to the ground. She took a step closer, but quickly backed away when a polearm was stabbed at her face. She fae-stepped back, readying her guard.

She glanced to the stairs, frowning at the wall of ice that now separated her from her back up. 5t4r groaned before getting to his feet and glaring at her. A quick heal spell and his side was fixed. “Asura, just... just go. There's no way for any of you to break through the fortress's defenses. Why don't you just run away?”

Asura took a small step back. “I... I might die here. But I'm going to take as many of you as I can with me. Especially you,” she growled and narrowed her eyes.

“Really? We’ll just respawn. Or are you still that upset about me betraying you guys? It's just a game!” He then glanced to the side. “Oh, right. Umm, Asura, meet Elene. She's my uhh, girlfriend,” he said before motioned to the girl wielding the spear. She wore a black corset and loose black pants. Long fangs jutted up from her mouth, blocking off a portion of her red face, while a single large horn jutted from her forehead. “Elene, this is Asura, the angel from my old guild I told you about.”

“Hi, interesting choice of armor,” Asura said nervously before she looked away from the revealing outfit.

“Armor's useless with most the weapons these days,” Elene said before taking a step forward and thrusting out with her spear. Asura's dagger caught it, locked the pole between the blade and handguard, before stepping forward to thrust. Instantly 5t4r's sword was in front of her, forcing her to stumble back to avoid being hit.

“We've got her,” 5t4r said before motioning to the staircase with his head. “Just make sure they don't come in, get the others if you can.” He charged forward, bringing his sword to sweep at her side arm. She caught it with her own, quickly stepping forward to stab him with her dagger, but the spear shot out by his side, forcing her to deflect it with her dagger and take another step back.

She held out her left hand. “Burst!” The explosion forced the two back from her and she took another step back, frowning. “You've gotten a lot better,” she said grudgingly.

“We play together a lot,” he said before motioning to Elene. “She's really amazing. We even got matching headsets last christmas.”

“Will you stop talking about me to your ex-girlfriend?!” Elene yelled before smacking him on the side with the butt of her spear.

“I'm not his ex!” Asura said instantly, her face bright red. “I never even, with him, ew.”

“What? Hey! What's wrong with me?” 5t4r asked before taking a step back.

“Nothing, just, you're like... I helped train you,” she said awkwardly, gaze lowering. “You're like a… I don’t know. A little brother or something. It would have been kind of creepy.”

“Because you... wow.” 5t4r shook his head. “You really take this too seriously. It's just a game. Let's just kill her and send her back.”

Asura frowned and leaned forward. When 5t4r charged forward, she fae-stepped behind Elene. The demon spun around and Asura locked the demon's spear up with her sword before stabbing twice into the girl's stomach. She then fae-stepped backward. She let out a shriek when she collided with the wall of demons. “Hellfire!” Black fire burst out from her, enveloping the players and causing them to let out loud, pained screams. She dropped to her knees and swung Excalibur in a wide arc, the blade cleaving through torsos and turning the closest demons to a flurry of red sparkles. That was good, it meant most of the reinforcements were still lower levels.

Elene and 5t4r fae-stepped towards her, so she immediately fae-stepped past them to appear on the opposite side of the hall. She quickly tapped the air, re-enabling party chat. “Can you guys hear me?”

“Yes, are you okay?” B4hamutt asked. “Mission is a bust. Too many have arrived, we can't do this. I called off the assault force.”

Asura sighed. “Okay, I'll try to escape. Just a moment, see you soon... one way or another.” She re-enabled local chat. “Star, tell me one thing.”

“What?” he asked before he slowly moved towards her right, while Elene moved to her left.

“When did you and her meet?” she asked before taking another step back, quickly losing room

“Ummm, a few weeks before the war even started,” 5t4r said with another blush and looked to the side. “My cousin introduced us and--”

“Okay, so she was a real life girl friend,” Asura said with a smile. “I can forgive that. Also, seriously? Matching headsets? That’s adorable. Cheesy. But adorable. Fireball!” she cast at him and he tried to cover his face. She then turned left, charging at the woman. Pain shot through her body when a wall of arrows struck her. She crumbled to her knees when pain thrust through her and she slowly looked to the right. More soldiers had arrived, and she recognized a master bow. A hand on her shoulder drew her back to focus.

“Dark echo,” Elene cast, before once again pain shot through Asura's body and she disappeared in a flurry of red sparkles.

The world surrounding Asura was black and empty. She held herself while her eyes watered, the sensation of the arrows and the repeated effect coursing through her, even though the pain bursts had already ended. She took short, ragged breaths until the pain slowly died away, leaving her panting and groaning. “What's... what's happening to me?” she asked, her arms wrapped tight around her stomach. Even now she could still feel the pain flowing through her, long after it should have faded.

 

Please rate and review if you can to help the story get more attention. Also I'd love it if you left a comment with your thoughts on the chapter as it really helps me to identify what my readers enjoy reading.

If you'd like to help support me and my writing, please take a look at my Patreon which offers early access chapters as well as monthly voting to determine which of the series will be written next. Alternatively, full copies of my books can be purchased through amazon on my author page.

Finally, if you would like to talk more about the series or talk to me directly, please feel free to join my discord server.

12