Chapter 36 Wait a Minute
642 1 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!”

That was the first thing that came out of Queen Maureen and all the members of the four clans.

“What do you mean marriage?”

“I am talking about you and me marrying, as a sign of unity and trust…”

“That is not what I am asking… Why would you even suggest that we do such a thing?”

“The reason you won’t accept the alliance is that you don’t trust us, right? Then a marriage between the house of Highland and the Queen of the lamina's will surely ease any doubts about the alliance.”

Is he crazy? Or are the humans that desperate? No, this is something else…

“King Edwin Von…”

“Just Edwin is fine..”

“…Ah …Umm …Edwin”

“Yes…”

Why do feel like blushing? Calm down… he's just a human... but still... he is a human that she accepted...

“Edwin. Let us suppose we marry. What exactly will that entail?”

She took the bait… Now to finish the deal. He thought

“As you may be aware… Highland went through a civil war and I am the last remaining member of the royal family. As such, I need to expand the royal family.”

“But I am unable to have children with humans…”

“I am not expecting us to have any. I will be taking other wives after all. Among which, will be the main wife.”

“Then what am I?”

“If we wed, you will become a secondary Queen. I would like to add this island to the territory of my kingdom, with you as the duchess. Naturally, as a duchess, you will be in charge of the land and its people, and you will be allowed to choose your successor.”

“I still see no benefit for me and my people. All I see is you claiming more land for yourself.”

“Like I said. You will be in charge of the island.”

“Stop beating the bush… What exactly are you offering?”

It was understandable that she did understand the significance of Edwin’s words. Even if you call her Queen, unlike the woman she admired, she was no politician and couldn’t easily see the underlined message in a sentence.

“Your majesty may I speak?” it was Count Paolo Vanderburgh who asked the question, but he was not directing it to his king but to the queen of the lamina's

“Very well…”

“Thank you, for your generosity. Now then your majesty, if I may ask, who rules the people on this island?”

“I do”

“And if you were to wed the king over there, who would rule over the people?”

“According to him, I will be in charge.”

“Yes. According to him… This means, at the end of the day, he is their ruler and you govern them in his place.”

She frowned at his words and Cecelia glared at Edwin.

Being ruled by a human was an unacceptable situation. Some lamina's even began taking a fighting stance.

But before the Queen could angrily voice her complaint, Paolo concluded, “Which would make them citizens of Highland and entitled to all the benefits that come with that, including trade and travel to the mainland.”

It was then that she understood what Edwin was offering. The four clans had been stuck on those four islands forever. Bringing her island under the territory of Highland would make her people citizens of the main continent again. They would be able to leave the island for the more livable continent.

This is what you would call a loophole.

Such an offer could not be taken lightly. There was still the issue of trust but her instincts told her that Edwin was serious. Furthermore, the look that the members of the four clans received from humans was either that of fear or disgust, but she didn’t feel any of that from Edwin or those who accompanied him.

That was probably because Highland was a diverse kingdom with humans and demi-humans living side by side.

Their human population was used to such things and wouldn’t bat an eyelid to the four clans.

“What of the other three clans?” she asked

Edwin only gave a puzzled look before speaking, “Aren’t they, your people as well? I heard in reports that the lamina's provide food and other necessities to the other clans and you introduced yourself as their representative. Doesn’t this mean that they are your people?”

Queen Maureen could only sigh within herself. They really thought this out huh?

“Very well, if you will wait here for a moment. I will discuss this with my other clan heads.”

“I will wait for a positive reply.” He said cheerfully

24