Chapter 38 Fate and Frienship 2
736 2 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

30 Minutes earlier.

Edwin was waiting outside as the four clan heads discussed what to do.

“What do you all think?” Queen Maureen asked the other three.

“Hmm… It sounds too good to be true, but I felt no falsehood in his words.”

The first to speak was the leader of the medusas. Medusas were very good at detecting lies from people as they could sense the slightest change in temperature and heart rate. A tale-tale sign of a liar.

“If what you say is true, then this is an opportunity for us to return to civilization.”

The next speaker was the leader of the ghouls.

Ghouls were the closest of the four to human-like appearance. Except for glowing eyes and tattoos on their foreheads and hands. Ghouls would often go weeks without sleep and because of this, humans sometimes called them undead. However, they were living beings like any other.

“If that is the case. Then I say we should take the chance. Unlike you three, it is next to impossible for us harpies to catch seafood and the island we live on has no eatable plant life. If it is possible, I would like for us to return to the mainland, but the decision at the end of the day is yours, Queen Maureen.”

The last to speak was the leader of the harpies. Harpies had a human body with wings and feet of a bird.

In the past, they relied on humans to build their cities and create easy tools to use. In exchange, harpies were used to carry messages and parcels across the continent.

That role might be null and void thanks to the spirit phone, however, just as the laminas were unmatched underwater, the harpies were unmatched in the sky.

Edwin was not going to overlook that fact and there were instances where the spirit phone and plane could prove useless.

If you needed to send a letter to someone living in a dense forest for example. Having a harpy who prove ideal, as they can hover and fly over the forest more easily than the spirit plane and those was under normal conditions. Add to that a spirit stone and the potential is probably unimaginable.

“Hmm…” Queen Maureen uttered, “It is indeed a tempting offer and I too feel no falsehood in his words.”

“But!?” the leader of the ghouls asked

“No buts. I was just wondering if our people are ready for this. Ready to return home?”

“Unlike you three, we harpies have already lost everyone who was alive then. All we have known is the island we were raised. The very idea of leaving it feels scary, but I see no future for us there.

“…”

“…”

“I understand your feeling. Then if there are no objections, I will accept the human's proposal.”

They all nodded to Queen Maureen's words. It was settled. The four clans would join Highland with a marriage between Queen Maureen and Edwin.

It was at that moment that a clap echoed in the cave. Queen Maureen took a fighting stance as a girl appeared from the shadows.

I didn’t feel her presence. Did she hide it? More importantly, with those black wings... she isn't human.

The girl had smooth pale skin with red eyes and short blond hair. Her face was cute but that didn’t change the fact that it gave off an unpleasant feeling.

404641-animegirl-wallpaper.jpg

“Who are you? Identify yourself” Queen Maureen shouted. Her shout attracted the guards who were outside as they came rushing in.

“I am truth. Sister of lies and servant of abyss king Hellion-sama”

Abyss King? Does that mean she is a Demon?

“What is your purpose here?”

“I bring the truth.”

“Truth?”

“Yes… The humans are lying to you. They will turn you into slaves if you accept the offer that human has brought you. You should reject it at once.”

“Are the demons offering a better deal?”

“Yes… We are. Land, riches, and anything else you desire. It will all be provided for. You only need to ask for it.” She answered with a smile

“Hmm…”

“She is lying.” The one who uttered those words was the leader of the medusas. “There is no truth in her words.”

Truth may not have been human, but it seemed that even she couldn't deceive a medusa, much to her surprise.

“Oh my… And here I thought that only my sister could tell my truths from lies. You are an interesting snake-haired girl.”

“Enough” Queen Maureen shouted, “Leave now, or else.”

“Now-Now, no need to be so forceful. After all, < Truth: I am not your enemy >

When Queen Maureen heard that, she lowered her spear weapon. The guards who rushed in also lowered their weapons.

< Truth: Your enemies are outside this cave >

< Truth: You want to kill them all >

< Truth: You will kill them all >

Truth watched as Queen Maureen and the others left the cave with Ecstasy on her face.

This is going to be so much fun. I will kill the humans who came here. Hellion-sama will praise me. And with Ermengarde’s blunder in Vidfamne, my lord’s place among the abyss kings will rise.

She thought to herself.

Outside the cave, Edwin looked on as Queen Maureen returned but he had an uneasy feeling about the way she was staring at him.

Have they decided to turn down my offer?

It was while he was thinking that when Margarita stood in front of him and unsheathed her sword.

“Human? What are you doing?” Cecelia shouted

“Protecting my king and I suggest you protect your people as well.”

“Eh…” Cecelia uttered before her mother roared loudly

24