Chapter 56: Father and Daughter
645 6 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“What a truly devastating power, Highland processes.” The king of the elves uttered as he marveled at the explosion that followed the bombardment of Drake.

His daughter Princess Siraye, was taking deep breaths while taking a knee.

Despite her best efforts, her father was just too strong.

“Father… There has to be another way…” she pleaded

“Are you giving up already?”

“…” Siraye couldn’t reply. She simply stared at the ground, unable to meet her father’s gaze.

Her father sighed before speaking, “Highland is the only hope our people have. Our alliance with demons is up in smoke and our betrayal has been exposed to humans. The only way for us to survive is to have the backing of a powerful kingdom.”

“Do you think Highland will agree to back us?” she asked

“As long as the Queen of the Fairies is there, there is hope.”

“Queen Madeline? What does she have to do with this?”

“You will find out once you have the throne.”

“Father… I…”

“This is no time for hesitation! Look around you! Don’t you see the fear on every elves face?” he yelled

Siraye glanced at the face of the elves who were watching the fight. She saw the distress on their faces.

It wasn’t hard to imagine that they knew the predicament that they found themselves in.

“But…”

“You are royalty… Sometimes that means doing things you don’t want to do, for the greater good.” He uttered.

Siraye’s frustration could be clearly seen. She didn’t want to kill her father, but she also couldn’t think of any way out of this situation.

‘Even if I begged… I doubt Edwin would listen to my words. I basically did the ultimate taboo that a fiance could do. Do I really have no choice but to walk the path that has been laid down before me?’

“Siraye… Please” her father softly pleaded.

It was at this point that Siraye finally noticed the determination in his eyes. Her father was ready to face death if it meant that the elves would have a better chance of surviving this situation.

She hated it… She hated the situation that she found herself in, and above all, she hated the fact that it was mostly because of her past actions.

‘Had I not been so selfish and stupid… Had I only kept my engagement to Edwin then this wouldn’t be happening to us… But it is too late now. I can’t turn back time. I can’t do anything...’ She thought as tears began to flow down her cheeks

"Siraye… We are running out of time. You must be the one to end me or it will be pointless." Her father uttered

Siraye wiped the tears before standing back up. She pushed aside all the self-loathing emotions she had before finally facing her father eye to eye.

With a simple nod of the head, Siraye indicated her readiness.

“Then let's begin.”

< Wind Tempest > < Swift Movement > < Air Blink >” with a mighty roar, Siraye activated three skills all at once before vanishing into the wind she had summoned.

“Oooh” her father uttered in surprise

Siraye began to attack rapidly from multiple directions which caused her father to go on the defensive.

“That's a good technique, but aren’t you burning a lot of mana?” He asked, but Siraye didn’t respond to his query.

‘I see… It takes a lot of focus to use this… you can’t even stop to reply to my question.’

< Wind Phantom >” Siraye added yet another skill into her attacks as ghostly figures began to appear and attack her father.

‘A distraction? Most likely… However, these Phantoms are made from fast-moving wind… I cannot ignore them.’ He thought as he dodged their attacks while blocking Siraye’s attacks.

‘Even in this situation, he can still find out where I am?’ Siraye thought as attack after attack was countered.

“Your emotions are giving you away… You have to let go of them. Let them be free like the wind…” Her father spoke.

Even in this situation her father was still teaching her things she needed to know. That realization put a strain on her heart.

Siraye took a deep breath before closing her eyes. She controlled her breathing before slowing her heartbeat. She slowly began to block out the sounds that were all around her; until only the sounds of her distant memories could be heard.

“Siraye! Siraye! Where are you?” a woman called as she searched for Siraye in the palace hallways.

“Hiding from your mother again?”

“Quiet dad or she will find me.”

“What did you do?”

“Nothing…”

“Nothing?” he asked as he plucked the wooden sword she was hiding behind her back.

The little girl puffed her cheeks and turned away before complaining, “It’s not fair. Why can’t I become a warrior too?”

“Hmm… Do you truly want to become one?” her father asked

“Yes… I want to be as strong as you papa.”

He laughed at her reply before speaking, “Alright then, I will talk to your mother about it.”

“Really?”

“Sure… Anything for my princess.”

"Thanks dad." she replied

As those memories passed through her mind she activated her last skill, < Ghost Blade Strike >

This was a skill she had created with the intent to help Hans defeat the abyss king Ermengarde. She could have never imagined that she would one day use the skill against her father.

'This is?’ her father thought, as he noticed Siraye doing something strange. Even though she was still out of reach, Siraye still swung her sword as if aiming for his head.

‘I see… She has manipulated my surroundings to the point that I am seeing her as far off. In reality, she is close. Close enough to behead me if I don’t do anything. She has truly grown up to become a fine warrior. This technique is impressive but faulty. I would like to point this out, but it seems that I am out of time.'

Her with a smile on his face spoke his last words,  "I love you, my daughter... always remember that."

With one swift motion, it ended.

Siraye stood still for what seemed hours from her point of view. Despite a fierce battle happening nearby, she heard nothing. It was as if the world stood still…

“Looks like you have finished here…” a voice calmly called out to her.

She turned her head towards the voice before turning even paler after seeing the stone-cold stare in her brother’s eyes.

“Brother…” Siraye softly spoke.

17