Chapter 31
210 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Your majesty, I urge you to stop this duel.”

Queen Charlotte was currently hosting a meeting between the members of the royal faction. 

Leading this faction was Duke Marvin, the father of Alexander.

It was three days before the start of festivals in the capital. The academy was just ending its first semester, however, on the last day, a duel was to take place. 

Princess Teresa Hiltrud Eleadia had challenged Alexander K. Bennett to a duel. While the reason for a duel was still a mystery to the general public it didn’t change the fact that everyone was shocked to hear that the princess had challenged one of her potential finance to a duel.

Some concluded this was her way of showing displeasure for Alexander, while others simply chopped it off as nothing more than a whim on the part of the princess... After all, she had requested a noble knight to be her champion.

Duels in the kingdom had to be carried out by the people involved, however, women were allowed the option to appoint a champion to represent themselves, and Teresa had used this clause to appoint Colin as her champion.

Alexander will have to face Colin in a one-on-one battle... Of course with a little political maneuvering, it was possible to have someone else fight in his stead but doing that would bring about rumors that he was a coward.

Marvin was on the verge of staging a coup. Having his son and heir being labeled a coward was the last thing he wanted.

That being said, he wasn’t worried about the possibility of his son losing. While not as skilled as his two friends, Alexander was by no means a useless fighter. He was well trained from a young age and furthermore, the duel allowed one to use any weapon the desired.

Marvin had already acquired a magical armor and sword for his son to use. His victory was assured from the start.

What he was doing now was nothing more than lip service. If anything he was looking forward to the duel.

First, I will have my son humiliate your daughter and then, I will take everything from you.  He thought

“I understand your concern duke Marvin but the duel is already public knowledge, on what grounds can I stop it.” Queen Charlotte replied

“But your majesty… when the princess’s champion losses she will be made to kneel while naked, we cannot allow such a thing.” A random lord uttered.  

You would think he was showing concern for the princess but his eyes couldn’t deceive Queen Charlotte. She could see the lust they held. Most of the men all had the same lustful eyes.

They are already assuming that the noble knight will lose… And while the utter words of concern I have no doubt every one of them would like nothing more than to have my daughter be humiliated in such a manner. She thought before remembering the report she received yesterday.

“Are you certain?” She asked 

In her royal office were her two most trusted aides. Prime Minister Keith Von Hillthorn and Royal Knight Commander Victor A. Collwood.

“Yes…” Keith replied. “After finishing my research, I have concluded that the noble knights as a whole have more wealth or rather could amass more wealth than the two factions combined.”

“Hmm…”

“Their primary source of revenue is the monster materials they sell. Considering that the northern continent is purchasing these materials in large quantities and pay handsomely for high-quality material, it is to be expected.”

“Hmm… The northern continent huh… We still have no idea why they are buying monster materials in large quantities?”

The northern continent was the homeland and birthplace of magic tools and weapons. The reason for this was because of one mighty empire that lived on that continent.

The United Empire of Horizon. 

Their flag was that of a rising sun and their population consisted of two people. Elves and Dwarfs. With the Dwarf's unique craftsmanship and the Elves' mastery of magic, they were able to combine these two skills and create the art of magic tool creation.

Their empire was the only one capable of doing this in large volumes and this resulted in their prosperity and political power.

No kingdom wanted to be blacklisted by the empire and would often bend over backward to appease them.

Queen Charlotte was no different, however, the recent increase in the amount of material the empire was purchasing was concerning. She was confident that they weren’t planning start a war or anything like that. Their empire has long since been neutral in all conflicts with one exception.

Could a demon king have been born? She thought. If so, then having the noble knight fight for the sake of the kingdom is something I must make happen. No matter the cost.

Snapping her back to reality were Keith’s words, “We have yet to find the reason... The general conscious is that there is a high demand for magic tools.”

“Hmm... I see… We will leave there for now but do keep your eyes on the matter. Victor, I take it your opinion remains the same.”

“It does. It is not just Colin. Other noble knights have shown high fighting skills. It pains me to say this but the royal knights and kingdom knights simply cannot be compared to them. They have completely rewritten how one should fight. You only need to look at my daughter for proof.”

“Ho! Explain further.”

“My daughter for all her natural talent was still no match for Hans in combat, however, ever since she started to take lessons from Colin, she has been more than a match for him. 3 out of 10 matches will end with her victory. If this keeps up, she will eventually surpass Hans.” 

“Really?” she replied in shock. 

“Yes. Hans is so worried that he also desired to have Colin tutor him but Catherin threatened his life if he dared to do that. She was mumbling something on the lines of, ‘the princess is already getting in between my alone time with Colin… I don’t need my older brother doing the same.’”

“Is my daughter joining them?”

“She is…” Victor replied

“Pfff… I feel sorry for Catherin, but I would not have it any other way. For the sake of the kingdom, we need to draw the noble knights to our side. Teresa’s relationship with that boy will prove crucial in that regard. I can feel it.”

Her two aids both nodded in agreement.

Recalling this, Queen Charlotte almost smiled but stopped before doing so.

“I understand your concern but I am sure that Alexander will not allow the princess to go through with it. Am I wrong, Duke Marvin?”

Humph… trying to save your daughter by appealing for mercy from my son. Shameless woman.

“It is as you say, but your majesty…”

“Say no more. Once he emerges as the victor, there will be no denial of his abilities as someone who can serve as prince consort.” 

She was lying. She had no intentions of letting that happen. 

“Understood… I will inform my son at once.” Marvin replied, however, he too was lying. He could not accept his household being second to the royal family any longer.

Just you wait Queen Charlotte. Soon I will have your throne. He thought

Once Colin defeats his son I need to move quickly and open negotiations with the noble knights. The fate of the kingdom depends on it. Queen Charlotte thought

As the two schemed... off the coast of the kingdom, ten large ships anchored into the harbor. 

The ships were disguised as merchant's vessels but in reality, they were mercenary vessels.

“So… This is the kingdom we have to help overthrow. I hope there will be someone who will make my blood boil.” A man uttered with a sickening smile on his face.  

7