Prologue
4.6k 8 107
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common man with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten."

Nicholas Sparks

There was nothing ever particularly special about me. I led a relatively normal and ordinary life right up until my death. Have you ever woken up from sleeping and thought, "Am I still dreaming?"

 That’s how it started for me. I was on my way home after a long day of work. Dusk had fallen and the sky was turning when I hit the ice. I must have driven past the slow down sign 1000 times before and as usual, I did. 

Hitting the brakes as I came up to the corner. Unfortunately, that is when I hit the ice. The car spun. Like the ice I froze, unable to move as the car careened out of control. Pushed into the side of the car I felt it shudder as it pressed through the barrier before flipping off the side of the road and over the side of the cliff. It was a long way down.

. . . 

Drifting out of the depths of unconsciousness, I think I’m alone. 

. . .

Tuntun, tuntun. I can feel my heartbeat as if I’m underwater.

. . .

Tuntun, tuntun. We all die alone, the thought comes unprompted.

. . .

Tuntun, tuntun. But it turns out I’m not alone, Lub dub.

. . . 

My heart is racing but it keeps time with another.

. . .

Lub dub,

. . . 

Tuntun, tuntun, tuntun,

. . .

lub dub.

. . .

Moving slower than mine but they still beat in time together.

. . . 

Once more from the pit of oblivion, I think therefore I am, tuntun, tuntun.

. . .

My heart beats therefore I’m alive, tuntun, tuntun. I feel no pain

. . .

 so . . . either I’m injured beyond belief . . . or I’m fine? 

. . .

Have you ever woken up from dreaming and found yourself unable to move?

. . .

Was that what seemed to be happening here . . . 

. . . 

I just need to wait. I would either awake or fall back into nothingness.

. . . 

Lub dub,

. . . 

tuntun, tuntun, tuntun,

. . . 

lub dub.

. . . 

Slowly swimming up out of my stupor, I open my eyes but all I can see is an orange glow. Waking to the warmth I seem to be floating and can hear more than a heartbeat. I am surrounded by sound. A humming fills my head and my heart beats in time. The notes rise and fall, the lullaby already unknowingly remembered, and soothed, I once more fall to sleep.

. . .

Ding. Sentience recognised. User interface enabled.

 

Level 0
Experience: 0/100
Health: 10/10 Stamina: 10/10 Mana 10/10

Vitality: 1
Endurance: 0
Strength: 0
Dexterity: 0
Senses: 0
Mind: 44
Clarity: 0
Magic: 1

Skills: 

That’s new.

. . .

Am I awake or . . . am I still dreaming?

107