Chapter 98: Growing Pains
1.4k 5 54
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Growth hurts because change isn’t easy, that’s why they call it growing pains.”

Tony Gaskins

.

. . .

.

I sidled onto the dock where Father was working on his boat, “Can I have a drop?” I asked Father first, thinking that he was probably the best bet at getting a favourable decision.

“No, go ask your mother.” He avoided taking sole responsibility for the decision. I left him and went to find my mother.

.

. . .

.

I wandered into the kitchen where Mother was working, “Can I have a drop?” I asked Mother the guardian of the elixir.

“No, ask your father.” She replied without looking at me.

“I’ve already asked him, he told me to ask you.” I responded

“Maybe later.” She sighed probably exasperated with Father for passing the buck. Leaving her for the moment, I left before she could give me a job to do. But it wouldn’t be long before I was back.

.

. . .

.

A short while later, “Can I have one now.” I popped my head into the room and whined. I didn’t exactly expect a different answer but it was difficult to know that the answer to my lack of height was sitting on a shelf just out of reach. Oh, the irony. I mean I could probably climb up to get it. However, that would hardly be a particularly subtle attempt at appropriating it and I would definitely be stopped in the process.

“No, your father and I need to discuss this later.” If in doubt delay while saying you are waiting for someone else’s decision. I grumpily stomped off in search of my sister. Who was suspiciously difficult to find.

.

. . .

.

“How about now? Have you discussed it yet?” I wheedled. It was not that I didn’t have other things to do but this one was all I could think about now. An itch I couldn’t scratch. Or a stone in my shoe worrying at my thoughts.

“No, Kai.” Mother exasperated used my real name. “I know you are doing this on purpose.” Unimpressed at my childish behaviour especially when she knew I was putting it on. Yes, a child, a true child might be unable to regulate their behaviour, but they knew that I was far from a regular child and therefore knew I could do better. Even if it felt as if I couldn’t.

“The answer is not tonight. Let’s sleep on it before making any hasty decisions.” She gave her final answer and I knew there would be no chance of changing it before the morrow.

.

. . .

.

Moving on from my parents I finally found my sister, “Up for some magic practice?” I asked.

“Lady Acacia said that it was important to follow her instructions to the letter when it came to magic and not to attempt to do it without supervision.” She answered firmly. I was surprised she was not more adventurous. It seemed that our tutor was having a firmer and more lasting effect on my sister than I realised.

“Apparently it can go incredibly wrong if you are not careful, so don’t even think about it.” She added clearly following my thoughts if not my face.

“Wouldn’t dream of it,” I replied taking care not to look up to the left and maintain our eye contact, but my sister was not fooled.

“Seriously, Kai don’t take the risk, just wait a while longer and Mother and Father will come around. There are simply too many benefits to her guidance, and you have always ran rings around them anyway. They are only delaying the inevitable. Besides once she teaches me, I will teach you too if you want me to.”

“Fine, I’ll wait. But not forever.” I grumpily answered. I walked out of sight before ducking through one of my secret entrances the secret stone door spinning shut behind me.

.

. . .

.

I doubted that I could fool Grandfather with my mini secret hideout entrances but he was bound by blood to keep my secrets anyway and surely these counted as one of them. The small tunnels now ran along most of our corridors or provided shortcuts between them. I had also created secret entrances and exits to nearly all of our rooms including the new palace we were creating. If I did get my hands on the elixir I realised that I would need to add a few inches of height to the tunnels to make sure I did not bump my head but the fundamental skeleton to my secret base was already in place. I wandered under the mountain peeking into rooms in passing. I had even created a passage to my grandfather’s hidden room over time. I had been unable to open his actual secret door due to some form of magic locking it shut but the magic preventing entry did not extend to all the walls and had not stopped me from making my own opening. I peered in before . . .

“Come in Kai.” Grandfather said as soon as I opened my eyes alighted on him. Busted. Maybe if I pretend I was never there.

“I know you’re there, hyperawareness.” He even added in the skill that told him he was being watched. He had been gradually tempting me to try more of his training by offering up the names of the skills he could offer me.

Grumbling internally, I opened the door. “How do I get that skill then?” Already suspecting I knew the answer to be . . .

“You let me throw things as you,” he smiled, “at least that is how I got it once I got good enough at dodging them. What do you want?”

“I was just wandering,” I answered avoiding answering the question as usual. It had become a bit of a pattern with him. We spoke around subjects careful not to cross one another.

“Well, what were you wondering about while you were wandering?” he dug a little deeper.

“The elixir,” I sighed “Mother and Father don’t want me to have any yet.”

“You will always be their child Kai, precious to them in a way you won’t understand until you have your own. Doubly so after they lost their first son. Triply so after we all thought we had lost you off the side of the cliff. If you stay small despite how challenging you are even then, you are somewhat controllable. Once you are larger it will become harder and harder to limit you, they are hesitating. It is understandable.”

“Would you give me a drop?” I asked.

He paused considering his answer carefully, “If you told me to, I would be bound to.” He cautiously waited to see if I would give the command each second a moment of temptation for me. However, when I didn’t, he continued. “But yes, if you asked me to, I would get you a drop. You might have freed me from my orders, but this would make you stronger sooner. Originally, I would probably have felt compelled to give it to you with or without your consent. Now it would be by my choice. Lady Acacia appears to have been honest so far and if this is how the elves deal with the hidden consequences of their long-livedd trait then you will have to drink the elixir sooner or later. It might as well be sooner.”

“Would you get me a drop then?” I asked

“Yes, I would, but are you ready for the consequences?” he asked.

“What consequences, growing up? I’m ready to be a little bit bigger.” I answered.

“It won’t just be a change of size it will be a change of family dynamics. You would be disobeying your parents for the first time.” He pointed out a consequence I had not really considered.

“I’ve misbehaved before,” I said thinking back to my secret night-time escapades and the myriad of secrets I had kept from them in my first year along with the few mysteries I had yet to confide.

“Yes, you have your secrets just as I have mine. But the difference here is you know they don’t want you to have it yet. You have been told no. This isn’t acting first and asking for permission later. You are actively making the decision to disregard their opinion as to what is best for you.” He outlined the situation from his viewpoint.

“You know I am older than I look. I think I can make my own decisions as to what is best for me.” I defended my choice.

“I’m not disagreeing with your decision, I’m merely pointing out that the consequences will change the family dynamics.” He explained.

“Do you disagree that I am ready?” I asked.

“No, I know you better than that, you are more than ready. But I don’t think your parents are ready for you to no longer be their baby.” He added.

“The problem is they may never be ready and with my trait nature will never force me to grow up or force them to recognise me as more than their child. I need a drop to start growing up. Will you get one for me?” I asked once more careful not to make it a command.

“Yes Kai, I will.” He answered. “Wait here.” He stood picked up a small bottle from a shelf before placing his palm against the stone wall behind him. It opened silently for him and the shadows wrapped around him as he disappeared into the darkness of the tunnel leaving me in his hidden cave of wonders. He could be incredibly scary when he moved silently with purpose hidden in the blackness.

I pottered around the room looking at the different chests and the books within. He had a rather large collection of knives. Probably why he always had so many to throw. Some were long, some were short, some were small enough to hide in the palm of your hand but all of them were terribly sharp.

It was not long before he returned, the elixir in hand.

“How did you get it?” I asked.

“A simple use of misdirectionand substitution. We have an hour before the illusion will wear off and even then it is doubtful if they will notice the switch as the bottles are roughly the same size. Humans notice sudden changes or movements; the illusion fades slowly over time and the lack of movement will hide the difference. Still, it would be good to replace it if you wish to get away with this without challenging your parents’ orders. Although again the consequences might very well be impossible not to notice.” He answered.

“Right bottoms up,” I said lifting the bottle to my lips to find my arm held in my grandfather’s vice-like grip.

“A drop Kai,” he said releasing his grip once I had lowered my hand holding the elixir. “Allow me.” He said taking the elixir off me. “This is incredibly rare stuff but at the same time best to do a drop at a time, tilt your head back and open your mouth.”

I did, somewhat ashamed by my stupidity that I had thought to swallow it whole I waited patiently as he slowly, ever so slowly tipped the bottle over my open mouth spilling a single drop to fall onto my tongue. I swallowed.

The taste while palatable was hardly pleasant a sort of earthy, iron tang to what I assumed bark tasked like. The taste was quickly replaced by a surge of heat. The liquid did not need to reach my stomach to begin its work. I felt the heat spreading from my mouth down my throat to my stomach following the path of the drop. But from there it started to heat up my insides spreading throughout my body until it reached my bones and their it intensified. Continuing to grow in strength until sweat burst out along my brow and I collapsed from the surge in sensations. Deftly my grandfather caught me and laid me down. “Don’t worry Kai, I will watch over you.” He said as I drifted towards unconsciousness my body burning up in the process.

. . .

I watched my young Lord Silversea slip into fitful slumber the elixir clearly working quickly to speed his growth. As always, I was conflicted. Grateful as I was to him for releasing and relaxing my oaths and bonds, I felt less certain than ever as to the best course of action. My strained relationship with my adopted daughter his mother was finally healing after I had felt compelled to push him to his limits as an infant which were far beyond the abilities of normal babies. How much would this damage it? Would my interference even be obvious? Kai was clearly capable of building a tunnel up to the elixir it was only a matter of time till he took it anyway. This way at least he had someone to watch over him while it happened. Seeing that he had settled somewhat I left the room to return the elixir before it was missed. I mean how noticeable would it be anyway? Maybe no one would even notice, a man could hope.

. . .

Last night had been painful. Not exceptionally so but certainly not pleasant. Sort of like growing pains and starvation all rolled into one. My body felt as if all my joints had been stretched apart. My muscles were torn and torn again before rebuilding that little bit longer. I was in a serious amount of pain. I also no longer fit my box bed with my feet sticking out below the end of my blankets. Grandfather had clearly collected it to place me in it. Trembling I pulled back the blankets to look at my longer legs, it was not a lot maybe only an inch but to me, it felt like a mile. Sitting up I was able to reach the floor with my feet as I stood up facing forwards no longer having to roll onto my stomach and slide off the bed. A small step to start the day rather than a giant leap of faith that I would fall onto my feet! I stretched seeing how high I could now reach.

My height was immediately obvious to me but I doubted if it would be immediately obvious to anyone else provided they did not start measuring me. Something this world or at least my family did not seem to do on the doorways. The only noticeable difference would be in how my clothes fit and while I was still far from as proficient as my mother at making clothes, I could easily add half an inch to each leg and half an inch to my waistline hiding my increase in size at least for the moment. If I outgrew my top that would be a little harder to manage but Mother had been making me practice patch my trousers anyway so had already provided all the materials, I needed.

“Ah, your awake?” I turned sharply to see who had spoken only to see Grandfather sitting behind me. “I told your parents that we were working on some night training exercises when they asked where you were and that I would be keeping an eye on you.” He explained.

I foolishly had not thought that it would take more than a moment or take so much out of me. I was famished. “Do you have any food?” I demanded.

“Yes, plenty of fish, fruit and vegetables. That looked like it took a lot out of you. Here.” He offered me a platter piled high with our produce and some of our most recent catch from the mana reef. I quickly tucked in and my ravenous appetite soon devoured the plate while it also left me still aching for more.

“A highly effective elixir. The elves make potent potions. Also, you will need to practice a little to get used to your slightly longer reach otherwise you will find yourself tripping over yourself. I would not recommend adding more than an inch a month or you might find your body struggling to handle the need for nutrients. But that would be something to ask Lady Acacia about the best ratio of time to elixir. Even at only a drop each month you will put on a foot and a half over the next year at that rate and double your size over two. You will no longer be the little ankle biter we know and love.”

I smiled, “I’ll soon be taller than you old man.”

“You’ve got a little way to go before then and I will still be able to put you on your ass in more ways than one so don’t expect to win anytime soon.” He failed to dampen my enthusiasm over the speed at which I could now grow up. I might not be a martial expert yet, but I would be learning magic soon and that was sure you give me a couple of ways to trip up my infuriatingly proficient grandfather.

“What exactly do you do while we are sewing, sailing and selling stuff?” I asked intrigued and hopeful that he would elaborate a little more on the matter seeing as he was in a cheerful mood over my growth.

“This and that, but mainly keep the vermin down on the island. I’ll show you when you are a little taller and able to keep up with Aleera.”

“What vermin?” I asked confused. “Rats?” I could hardly imagine him as a rat catcher and had never noticed enough of them around town for them to have been a problem.

“The Church might lead us in the Light of the Lodestar but that doesn’t stop pests pushing their way out of the Lodestone every now and then. I make sure that if they ever do, they are soon put back into the ground.”

“What pests?” I asked curiously but it seemed that he had exhausted his quota of words for the day.

“When you are taller Kai, when you are taller. Come on you will miss your father sailing if you don’t head out now.”

He opened the passageway for me and I sped out on my slightly longer legs nearly tripping over them before I got into a new rhythm of running.

Ding! Running Level 51!

Wow! I had finally progressed one of my Tier 1 skills past their first Meridian. Also, surprisingly it was running as opposed to meditation, time sense or swimming which had all been stuck at level 50 for far longer. Maybe I could level up my swimming at the reef today as well. If adjusting my body to running on slightly longer legs had been enough for that skill perhaps it would also work for swimming. Excited I sped up. I had to catch up to my father before he left if I hoped to achieve that today.

. . .

 
A NOTE FROM NOTLIMAH
Discord:  https://discord.gg/RhrQk3wv valid for the week.

Patreon: Notlimah is creating An Isekai Tensei | Patreon Now up to CHAPTER 116 !!!

Topwebfiction: Vote at Singer Sailor Merchant Mage | Top Web Fiction

As always thank you for reading, voting, following, commenting and rating. Particular thanks to all patrons past, present and future once more. It is nice to see familiar faces again so welcome back!

Hope you are having a great week

Notlimah

54