13 – Clear
5.7k 8 177
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After finally falling asleep at some point, Ailine was already awake and staring at me by the time I awoke. Still holding onto me.

"Good evening, Lia." she says when she notices my eyes open.

I smile down at her. "You too, Ailine."

(And don't forget about your lovable AI sidekick!)

Rolling my eyes, I greet her as well. "Yes, good evening to you too, Ms. Parasite."

Before we started our night, I wanted to talk to Ailine. The longer anything is put off, the worse anything becomes. She confessed her feelings and deserves honesty from me.

"Ailine, I want to talk about last night. When you said you loved me, did you mean in a romantic way?"

After a few seconds of pause, she spoke. "I did, Lia… Is that okay?"

Looking at her unnerving expression, I smile and stroke her hair softly to reassure her. "Of course it is, Ailine, and you deserve to know what my feelings are as well. 

"Before last night, I'd never thought of you romantically. You're beautiful, but we were always busy. Since I've never tried to think that way, I'm still not completely sure what my feelings are.

"One thing I am sure about, is that I don't want to lose you, or have you go away. If you'd be willing to be patient with me as I sort out my feelings, then I'd be willing to explore a relationship. Is that alrigh—" I was suddenly hugged around the neck.

"Of course it is, Lia. We'll be together for a long time after all."

After hugging her for almost a minute, we finally let go.

Still laying on the furs, I gently brush her hair out of her eyes and cup her head in my hands. Looking in her eyes and being as serious as I could I said, "There's also another thing I wanted to talk about.

"First, I want you to know that I'm here for whatever you need. What you went through was terrible, and absolutely none of it was your doing or your fault in any way. Those evil people have left you with many wounds on the inside. If you're ever confused, scared, angry, or just want to talk, know that I'm here for you. 

"I want to ask you to promise me that you'll talk to me if you're ever hurting. And I'll promise you that I'll always listen to you. Could you do that?"

With the corner of her eyes getting wet, she nods her head and whispers, "I will, Lia. I promise to talk to you."

We hug once more. After last night, this was about the most I could come up with. To be honest with her, reassure her, and explicitly tell her that I'll listen.

As much as I want to, I can't heal her wounds. I don't even know where to start. All I know is that as time works on them, I'll support her.

I break off the hug and sit up. "Now then. Let's grab a meal. Before we head to the final floor, there's something I want to make, and I think we have enough materials now. I also want to try altering some stuff.

"Ailine, Could you sort everything we got last night while I work on it? It might take a couple days."

"That sounds good to me."

(And to me!) Navi chimes in. (What'cha gonna make?)

I smirk. "Something that would've been really useful last night."

After breakfast, I began my test. If I understand how this magic stuff sort of works, then this might be doable. It'll also piss off every actual blacksmith in existence.

I took one of our iron daggers and the bowl of charcoal powder and covered the dagger in the powder.

For a while, I was wanting to upgrade our iron weapons with steel. The iron was great, but it does dull easily. Steel, if I remember, is harder, lighter, and holds an edge better. Something about carbon bonds. I knew steel was made as an alloy of iron and carbon, but I had no idea the amounts of each, and never fucked with it.

Then, I kicked myself. I can make fucking stone appear out of nothing and have it launch forward. Magic works off of an image and intention. If I keep the image of what I'm wanting and have the components to lessen mana cost, along with a good enough magic control, it should be doable, theoretically, to turn our iron equipment into steel.

I focused on the iron dagger and imagined the same dagger, but made of steel. I imagined the carbon in the charcoal merging with the iron. Finally, I pushed my mana into making that image a reality.

After a good chunk of MP, I pull out the dagger and splash it with water magic to get the charcoal off. I'm greeted with the same identical dagger. Only made out of steel.

"Fuck yes!" I shout and raise the dagger high.

"Congratulations, Lia." Ailine claps as she works on her own project.

(Look at you!) Navi says, (Wannabe rogue that uses warhammers and spears by night, cheater blacksmith also by night.)

With the test done, I began the process of upgrading our equipment. "This will probably take a day or two to get done. If you want to run the dungeon at all, feel free."

Ailine doesn't hesitate to answer. "I would prefer to stay here, Lia. Since we have cotton and thread now, I would like to make us some clothes while you work, if that would be alright."

"Sure." I begin gathering our weapons. "Let me know if you need anything."

"Actually." She hesitates, "If you could remove the extra material on our statues' torsos so that I can use them as mannequins, that would be helpful, since I can't use earth magic that well. If it wouldn't be too much trouble."

I smile back at her. "That's actually easy for you to do if you want to try. I made that extra layer like hardened clay instead of stone like the inside. If you take a hammer and hit it a bit, it should flake off."

"That's great." She rummages through our loot. "I'll do that then."

(Come on, Ailine! Let me tell you about the greatness that is the school uniform and bunny outfits! There's so much you could make!)

"No!" Navi's comment stops me in my tracks. "Just ignore the bad influence, Ailine. Make what you want to make. And don't give her strange ideas, Navi."

(Tch.)

Did… Did my AI just click a non-existent tongue at me? Deciding it would be better not to think too much about it, I started on my next project before finishing the steel.

I grabbed the twelve feet long piece of wood we had found when searching for wood for Ailine's bow. Making some steel, I spent the time creating a thick, foot and a half long spike, with a deep pocket to attach to the pole. At the base of the spike is also a short hook with a sharp tip curved towards the wielder for grabbing and yanking. 

After smoothing out the wood and forming the steel to solidly connect to it, I had a very basic pike. With this, if I face a bastard like before, I can keep distance and pierce the fucker. I'm fucking tired of getting on the back of bosses.

From the armored boss to this axe boss. Enemies with tough defense, that force me into fighting right up with them, have been difficult. My warhammer was great, and it'll work well on tough opponents, but I still had to get close.

With my pike, I can stay back, stab, even throw them off balance by using my hook to pull on their shoulder or shield. Why not just use my spear? Well, my spear gives me a bit of space, but it's still too short. The advantage of the pike is keeping far away from fuckers. 

Over the next couple days, I also fixed up buckler shields so that we each had one. I took the wooden round shield and hardened three large rounds of leather. Two for the front and one for the back of the shield.

This made the thing really tough and even took all the arrows from Ailine's shortbow. When she tested out her longbow with bodkin tips though, the shield caught it, but the fucker poked out the other side. Fucking hell, she's always going to go into a boss battle with those things from now on. Even if it's close quarters like that village house.

Ailine had finished some clothes for us. They were basic, but very comfortable. Thankfully, the only clothing design that Navi ended up having her make are sets of panties for us. That was a very nice change.

With this, and feeling like a small armory now, we lay down. Tomorrow we'll try to see what the final floor had in store for us. 

While laying there besides each other for a bit, Ailine speaks up hesitantly. "Lia?"

"Yeah?" I answer, curious at what she wants.

She pauses before answering. "I want to kiss you again…"

Laying there, I turn my face towards her. Over the past couple days while working, I really thought about my feelings. What is love? Is it an attraction to a person and their personality? Wanting to be by, and protect them? There've always seemed to be different levels of love as well, from familial to romantic.

Even on Earth, I had girlfriends and even confessed once. But nothing ever lasted long term. However, we weren't forced to fight deadly monsters. We weren't the only source of human contact for each other, isolated from any other people.

My feelings for Ailine weren't the, 'fiery hot passion,' that makes movie or story characters act like lovesick idiots that can't think straight. Even so, if asked what my feelings were towards her?

I leaned forward and took her mouth with my own. After a few seconds and releasing the kiss, I pulled back slightly and stared directly into her deep red eyes.

"I love you, Ailine," I say with certainty.

It took a couple seconds for my words to process, and then she smiled brightly with tears in the corner of her eyes. Not her normal, slightly upturned corner of her lips smile. But a real, full face, happy smile. 

"I love you too, Lia."

We leaned forward again, and spent the next hour exploring our bodies together.

When I woke up, I looked down at the sleeping face of the beautiful blonde woman, arms both wrapped around our naked flesh. I could really get used to this. Besides a few relationships on Earth, I was always alone. Without family, friends all living far away with their own lives, and working from home, my close interactions with people were extremely limited. 

That's why, even while dying, I was alone. Getting sent to another world had little effect on me, since I had nothing to want to return to. Only now, am I starting to see that I'd been wanting a warm connection with someone like this.

I have no fucking desire to go back to Earth, and never did after I came here. There's nothing left for me there anyway, besides all of the information I gained from the internet and will plagiarize here on Erald to my heart's content.

This is my home. Here, with Ailine.

As her eyes slowly flutter open, I take a few liberties and lightly place a small kiss on her lips and smile.

"Good evening, Ailine," I greeted her. In reverse of our roles yesterday.

"Good evening, Lia," she replies while smiling back. 

Yes, this is my life. Killing monsters, and getting stronger. Just me and Aili—(Good morning you two love birds! Congratulations to the happy couple! Yes Yuri, yes touch! Aww you two are so kawaii~!)—and a damn mind worm.

"Pick a damn country of origin for all of your references and stick with it, and don't use them all at once, Navi!" I shouted back at the mental third wheel. 

Ailine looked a bit confused, but didn't say anything. I just realized, I really need to tell her about my past soon. Not that I was ever hiding it, it's just not important and doesn't define me or my life here. She probably wonders about some of me and Navi's references, though.

After getting dressed and armored up with what felt like an armory in my storage, we went up to the iron door, ready for the final floor. 

Opening the door, we were greeted with the inside of a coliseum. It sort of reminded me of the pictures of the one in Rome, but the architecture was a bit different.

Fake sun high above, and the barred wooden boss door across from us. A smaller door next to it. Nobody was in the stands, but the noise of people yelling could still be heard from somewhere all around. Weird dungeon shit.

Looking around, I just want to confirm my assumption. "Is this fucking gladiator combat, Navi?"

(That's what this format is looking like. There should be enemies coming from across there in waves. Once the final wave is killed, the boss door should open, and they'll come out.)

"Fucking great. Wide open flat arena floor. Perfect for a fucking wannabe rogue." I mutter as I take out the round shield and draw my falchion. Yeah, that dream of mine is more dead than my Earth body.

"Ailine, I've no idea what we'll be up against, but your range with your bow will probably be vital. I'll be your shield. Let's not take any risks since we don't know how long this will be."

"We'll be alright, Lia. I'm here to support you," she says with confidence while nocking an arrow.

Across the arena, three creatures walk out of the smaller door. Looking at their weapons, they're every part the stereotypical gladiators, complete with one holding a throwing net and bare chests on them all. Looking like a half human, half hyena hybrid, the bastards snarl at us with their sharp teeth.

Gnoll - level 11

Before they could even begin advancing, the gnoll with the net had an arrow in its stomach. Never fucking wait for an enemy to be ready. Only idiots wait for a power up or monologue to finish. Fuck that shit.

Hollering out in anger, the gnolls charge at us, earning a fireball to the face and an arrow in the chest. With a couple more arrows coming for good measure. 

After that, none of them are dead, but all are lying on the ground in pain. I take out my spear and finish the three off before retreating back to Ailine. The gnolls didn't dissolve this time as well, similar to the last floor.

Taking position again, the next enemies burst out of the door. Six tiny blue fuckers. They looked like goblins but had longer and thinner arms and legs. Fucking mini-Slenderman style. Wielding two daggers each, they were fast and scattered all around the arena.

Gremlin - level 10

After shooting arrows and magic, we were only able to hit two of the nimble fuckers. Dropping her bow and grabbing her sword and buckler, we got ready to fight as they quickly came at us.

With a swing of my falchion, an arm came off. A stab of her blade went through the chest of another. Their daggers stabbed into our arms, but the vambraces stopped them.

A third took a close range fireball and the last a slash from Ailine. Finishing up the gremlins on the ground, we prepared for whatever was next. 

Squeezing it's way out of the door, a mass of black fur lumbered out. Large head with sharp teeth and two horns. Large paws and muscular body.

Bison Bear - level 13

Ailine immediately shot it with her longbow and the arrow embedded into it's flesh. A wound like that didn't seem to slow it down. Bears are tough motherfuckers after all.

"Fuck this thing," I say and take out my pike as the bear charges forward.

Bracing it, I readied myself as a couple more arrows hit it. Without much thought, the bear was coming right for us. Charging right into my pike.

With the long point of the pike stuck in its neck, it tripped and fell down with a roar. I didn't waste time as I took out my Warhammer and impaled the spike of it into its skull.

Damn. If I had to solo this dungeon and do without the circumstantial weapons I made, I'd be here for fucking ever grinding on lower levels.

Extracting my weapons and Ailine's arrows, we ready ourselves again for whatever the next enemy will be. 

After many waves, the floor of the arena was littered with corpses. Gnolls, orks, tiger like bastards called Hellcats, and more. Mixed in, there were some archers, and even a couple mages.

When faced with them, I primarily protected Ailine with the shield that is now a useless mess from all of the arrows, swords, and magic. We were cut in places, bruised in others. I even took a stab to the shoulder at one point that I had to heal with magic. 

After all of the fighting, we'd already leveled up again. If there was one thing this fucking gauntlet was good for, it was EXP.

Finally, after so many waves, the wooden door opened and the final boss came out. I don't know what I was expecting, but a giant bug wasn't it.

Death Mantis - level 15

A big ass fucking praying mantis with extremely sharp looking legs. 

"Fucking nope!" I yell.

As soon as it came out of the door, we opened fire. Fireballs and arrows pelted the bastard. Unfortunately, they didn't do much. Arrows weren't able to fully penetrate the exoskeleton, and magic impacted, but couldn't break it.

I grit my teeth. "Damnit. I think the warhammer might be our best chance. Ailine, take the pike and keep the fucker away from you and try to distract it."

With that, we split to both sides of it. Using the pike to keep distance, Ailine was keeping it at bay. From the side, I launched more magic at it. When it fully turned towards her, I ran in and impaled the spike of the warhammer into its thorax. 

The fucker was too tall even for me to get to its head without climbing. With a loud and alien chittering while blue fluid oozed out, it turned towards me as I retreated. This earned a pike from Ailine to the other side of it's abdomen. 

Shooting a rock bullet at its face, I kept making distance between us. With another stab from the pike, it started turning towards Ailine again. I darted in and used the hammer side to hit it's leg joint, crushing it. 

Shooting a wind cutter at the other leg joint on my side, I was able to destroy both legs, limiting it's mobility. Breathing a small sigh of relief, I started circling around it while Ailine stabbed it's abdomen again.

With another spike to the thorax, and a couple more stabs to the abdomen, it was noticeably slowing down and struggling. Just a bit more and we'd kill the fucker.

But then it took me by surprise. Using it's last two legs, it pushed hard, making its body turn to face me. Large wings unfurled from part of the shell on its abdomen. Within a second, the bastard was flying right at me.

Out of pure instinct, like when a grasshopper suddenly jumps at you, I threw myself backwards and swiped with the warhammer. 

The warhammer swung through the air, then kept on going, along with my arm. Without pain even registering yet, the mantis severed my arm like scissors cutting paper.

"No!" I heard Ailine scream as I was stabbed through the stomach by one of its arms a second or so later. It didn't stay stabbed in me for too long, as it yanked and cut through the side of my torso.

With as much mana as I could, I focused on my torso. Fuck my arm. It'll come back. On the other hand, if I bleed out, it's fucking over. This is my life. No deus ex machina second form power ups. 

As I healed my torso, I felt a leg being severed. I'm certain my body was in shock, as pain hadn't registered yet. Then the blades stopped. Looking up, I saw Ailine holding the warhammer with the spike in the mantis' head. Tears coming out. 

Ha! This crazy woman jumped and climbed up this fucker. Take that, you fucking Scyther groupie. Closing my eyes with a smile on my face, my vision went dark.

=====

POV - Ailine

No, no, no, no, no! Lia is going to die! I'll be alone again and Lia is going to die! No, no, no!

(Ailine! Ailine, pull yourself together! Ailine, answer me!)

"What?!" I yell out. 

Navi has been trying to talk to me, but I can't talk because my Lia is going to die, just like everyone else!

(Ailine, Lia needs your help. You can help her. You can save her!)

"I–I can save her?" I mutter. 

How can I save her? Lia was cut almost in half! She doesn't have an arm or leg! No, no, no! Lia is going to die!

(Ailine, Lia needs you! The woman you love needs you! If you want to save her, listen to me and do exactly what I tell you!)

I...I can help Lia. I will save Lia. I'm not alone. Navi will tell me what to do. We can save Lia.

"What do I do, Navi?"

(Good! Alright. Lia healed the internal part of her torso. She's bleeding heavily from her arm, stomach, and leg. I need you to stop the bleeding. Take her armor off as quick as you can and wrap cloth tightly around her body, arm, and leg. Now hurry, Ailine! Go save your Lia! Then you can have all the nighttime fun you want again!)

Listening to Navi, I stumble as the mantis dissolves underneath me. 

I could hardly think when I saw it fly at Lia. Then her arm flew off and her weapon sailed towards me. 

I saw the mantis stab her, and I couldn't breathe. The next thing I knew, I had her warhammer and was on its abdomen, climbing it's thorax. 

It was lethargic and was dying. Its movements slowed significantly after using a last spurt of energy to fly at her. 

It ignored me, too intent on hurting Lia. When I got high enough, I swung and kept on swinging since I couldn't get a good hold on anything. After a couple hits, the spike finally sunk into its head, and I saw Lia smile at me before going unconscious.

Stumbling as all the corpses dissolve, none of that matters right now. I just need to get to Lia. 

Cutting the thin leather straps on both sides of her armor and unbuckling her sword belt, I yank her armor off as quickly as I can. 

"I'm sorry Lia, I'll make you better soon. Please hold on. Don't leave me. Please hold on."

While saying that, I cut off her tunic I had just made especially for her, and cut a long strip off of it. I begin wrapping it as tightly as I can around her torso. Taking another piece, I tie off the stump of her arm and the stump of her leg. Even with that, they're still bleeding heavily. There's so much of Lia's blood!

"Navi, what now! There's still so much bleeding!" I yell as my tears won't stop.

(Now, you need to cauterize her arm and leg. Take one of the flaming arrows you have and focus on your finger, making a small flame—good. Now when the arrow ignites, burn Lia's arm and leg to stop as much of the bleeding as you can.)

"I'm sorry Lia, it'll be over soon." I whisper. 

I begin to burn the flesh of my beautiful, silver haired vampire. Before too long, it's done. Lia is still bleeding a bit from her stomach, but her arm and leg have mostly stopped. I gently lift her head and place it in my lap. I sat there, mumbling to myself.

"Don't leave me, Lia… Please don't leave me…"

177