28 – Assault
3.8k 5 138
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I laid the newly turned vampire down on the sheets, I thought about the story she told me. 

How she was an only daughter from a small fishing village to the far northeast of the human lands. How the noble overseeing their village exploited their people to near starvation, but punished any who tried to leave. About her single mother dying one winter, giving her the majority of what little food they had. Then about a small passing group of priests and holy knights who took any orphans with them. Her torment for years at the home of a priest she was given to.

How he then sold her when he was bored of her to another priest. Who then sold her with the others to traders going between a small group of bandits and the church. As I was silently burning in anger, Sara, the most composed of the freed women, came up to me.

"Pardon, Miss Lia. Could I have a moment?"

"Of course, Sara."

The young woman with dark brown, shoulder length hair took a moment to gather her thoughts. 

"I was speaking with James. He said that you were the Vampire Queen… Queen Midnight, can I ask you straight? Do you plan to fight the church?"

Looking at the determined face of the woman in front of me, I could only answer honestly.

"I do, yes."

Waiting to see her reaction to that answer, I'm a bit surprised when she drops onto a knee, head lowered.

"Queen Midnight, I ask of you. Please turn me into a vampire and allow me to fight alongside you."

I paused and waited for a few seconds, looking at the woman in front of me, thinking about how to respond. Right now she's too weak. At level 28, she would be a good soldier for the humans, but not a top warrior or officer by any means.

As far as turning into a vampire, so long as someone was aware of the consequences of their actions, I really didn't care much about what someone chose to do with their own life. Would I bring her if she trained?… I would have to see. I know nothing about her. Her fighting style. Combat capabilities. Or how she works in a team.

Needing to answer her, I go into 'queen mode' as Navi has taken to calling it. "Sara, raise your head. As you are right now, you are far too weak to join us when we finally attack. However, I am willing to let you train and to assess your ability. 

"Whether you join the fight or not is something that will be decided in the future. In regards to turning into a vampire, I would be fine changing you so long as you know the consequences of your decision. You will become stronger and better at magic. Able to heal any nonlethal wounds given time. You will no longer eat food or drink water, but subsist on blood. Almost exclusively that of monsters.

"You will become immortal. Meaning you will never get sick or age, but it also means any humans you know now or in the future, you will have to watch grow old and die. You will never be able to have children. You will never be able to expose yourself to sunlight or light magic without great harm. Always wearing a robe or similar covering in the day.

"The change is irreversible. One you begin, your body will essentially be remade. Like Steph, you will fall unconscious for a time as it heals and strengthens itself. Knowing all this, do you still wish to become a vampire? I won't pry into your reasons, as it is your decision. It is just not one to take lightly."

She paused for just a moment taking in my words, then nodded. "I do. Let me become a vampire and earn a chance to fight the church with you."

Staring at the determined woman who has obviously made her decision, that's all I needed.

I bend down and bite into her neck. After a couple seconds, I can feel she accepted, and she goes limp. I lay her down next to Steph. Honestly, I was hoping that there would be at least a couple people who would want to turn into a vampire. As a queen of a race of two people, it's almost laughable.

Having more that could also guard the castle and flower garden would be a great benefit as well, if they can gain my trust. It would give me a bit more peace of mind when we finish the dungeon and inevitably leave to strike. 

I feel like my actions are contradictory here. I'm able to kill so easily without a second thought, but I want someone to know the consequences of their actions before turning into a vampire. However, that's how I feel. I believe that when someone makes a choice, they deal with the good and bad of that choice. The people I kill have also made their choice. They chose to be soldiers and bandits. Whatever side they're on, if you pick up a weapon, you should be prepared for the chance of dying. Even if they had all other choices taken away from them. They will still have to deal with the consequences. 

Life isn't fair. Will I one day have to kill someone who is 'innocent?' I very well may, but it'll be for a reason. With Ailine now done and Lala on patrol, I go over to the tent she placed for us and get as much sleep as I can before we move on.

When morning came, we were ready to depart and finish this mission. Travel will be slower now, but we'll still make it to the hideout well before sunset. 

Navi has been checking out the area, getting an idea of guard positions or if there are any other entrances. She hasn't found any, but we would be remiss to let our guard down. From what James says, as far away as this is from us, it's only a couple day's ride to the nearest human village farther northeast. James thought it was awfully close.

The newest vampires were still unconscious. The other three women were riding in one of our wagons, being driven by Beth with her horse and one of the new additions drawing it. We stored the other carriage. After almost a full day of travel, we came to a stop and Navi flew down.

"Hey Lia! You're only about an hour out," she said.

"Thanks, Navi. We'll go ahead and stop here and go on foot."

Going over to James and the others, I told them what was going on.

"We're an hour out from the location. I want you three to stay here and guard the others. We haven't found another entrance, but there isn't any guarantee. Talon will stay as well. The assault team will leave just after sunset, so have a proper night rotation. I will contact James when the assault is complete."

With that, we got tents placed for the others, and took a short nap, just to be as ready as possible for the coming battle. 

Sunset came and we left our tent to find the three soldiers standing at attention for us.

"Your Majesties, we wish you well in your coming battle," James said.

"Thank you, you three." I nod to them. "We leave everything here in your care."

With nothing more needed to be said, Ailine and I jogged off towards where Navi said the hideout was.

(Navi, Lala, we're leaving camp. Go ahead and execute patrols when you're ready.)

(Gotcha!)

A couple minutes later we heard back again.

(All done!) Navi cheerfully said. (I'll find you and lead you to the entrance. Two guards at the front that we can take care of when ready to go in.)

As we kept jogging, Navi met up with us and led us to within sight of the entrance. Still obscured by our cloaks and dark magic in the night, we were able to see the two just sitting at chairs by a torch. Not really paying attention. 

Like a stereotypical bandit, they looked like they had old and well-worn leather armor. But no helmets.

Navi then flew up in the air and over them. Up high, even with our night vision, we could just barely make out the image of two fairies. 

(Ok, Lala. Just like mommy showed you.)

(Yes, Mother.)

With a soft thud, both fairies dove down to a guard and stabbed tiny swords through their skulls, killing them instantly. Navi then stored their bodies and we silently went up to the entrance. 

(Lala, keep hidden and watch the entrance. Kill anyone that tries to escape.)

(Yes, Aunt Lia.)

I place a hand on the door, but send a message before I open it to Ailine and Navi. (Just like clearing the fucking dungeon. Stick together. Navi, watch our backs from above. We go silently until we can't.)

(Let's-a-go!~) the fairy cheered.

From the entrance of the hideout, it looked like it was just roughly cut out of the cliff. It wasn't a large enough entrance to look like a mine, so it might be just a true hideout for someone, only being so close to a village.

As we went, we stored the torches along the way. The darker things are, the better for us. After only a minute of walking, we reached the first split. Following our tried and true dungeon maze strategy, we went left first. Just after the split there were doors on both sides of the tunnel.

(Navi, soundproof after we go in,) I said.

(Sure thing!)

By making a thin wall of no air, Navi can effectively make something soundproof. This is very difficult to do and maintain on something like an entire room. But blocking a doorway? Definitely doable for the fairy.

Entering through the door with sword/shield and bow drawn, it looked to be a communal bedroom with multiple bunk beds on each side. From a quick glance, there were about a dozen men in the dim lit room. A couple were awake and sitting on their bunk. After a second of surprise, they began shouting at the black cloaked individuals who entered with weapons drawn.

No help would come.

With the room already soundproofed, a wave of Seren shot multiple small water balls, extinguishing the couple torches that were lit in the room. From the screams and lights going out, the bandits began to panic. It was chaos.

As they desperately tried to grab weapons, I just sat back and allowed Ailine to fire arrow after arrow of condensed dark magic at them. Only one guy managed to grab a weapon and fling it desperately at us. I deflected it easily with my shield, and by the time it fell, Ailine had already put a hole in his head. Within no time at all, the room was cleared.

After exiting the room, we went to the door across the hall. Entering the room, we saw an almost identical arrangement. It ended in an almost identical way, with a symphony of screams. To make sure no other rats go in, Navi and I rose a chunk of rock from the floor an inch or so, just enough to seal the door so it couldn't be opened.

Continuing down the hall, we reached a door at the end. Opening it were cages with women in them. There were more cages that were empty than full, but there were seven women we could make out in the dark room. 

The women were in various states. None of them were great. I wanted to break them out right now. To give them some small hope that things would be alright. Unfortunately, now isn't the time. Not one of them even registered our entrance into the room. If we stop to help them, then we could miss a bandit or would have to defend the victims.

As heartless as it was, the best way to help them was to finish this quickly. With no other door into the room, we walked back out into the hall and made our way to the other branch after stone blocking the door. Taking it for a short time, it branched again. Taking the left path, we found two more doors as the hall continued.

There were people in the left one. From the sounds, we knew what they were doing. I gripped my sword tightly and gritted my teeth. I hate these bastards.

(Navi, sound barrier again. Ailine, could I have these please?)

(Sure!)

(Yes, Lia.)

Entering the room, I quickly confirmed my suspicions as Navi activated her magic just as one yelled.

"What the—"

His head was falling before he could finish his words.

As his body fell away from the little girl in the middle of the three, I was already stabbing my sword into the chest of the other one standing, and stomped my foot so hard on the face of the one laying on the ground that his entire skull caved in. It didn't take more than a couple seconds to kill this trash.

I've always had a soft spot for kids. Tears formed when I saw the lifeless expression on the emaciated little girl. She only appeared to be six or seven, but could have been a bit older. It was hard to tell with how emaciated she was. I quickly took out a robe and cleaned her with magic as well as I could as I took her limp body away from the three dead men.

"It's alright now. We're here. You're going to be okay."

Saying these words as much to myself as to the girl, I pick up the small girl in an oversized robe and easily carry her in one arm, channeling healing magic into her.

We didn't want to bring any victims out until done, but I couldn't do it. I'm such a fucking hypocrite. Leaving the other women but taking a child… Fuck it. I'm just going to do whatever I want. As illogical as some decisions may be, fuck it.

(Lia…)

(I know, Ailine. Navi, I'll place her outside the doors. It's asking a lot, but please keep an eye on her. I'm sorry.)

(Gotcha.)

Walking across the hall, I place her down. I didn't feel any presence, but we were ready just in case. Inside was a makeshift kitchen with an air hole at the top. With nothing of interest, we walked out and sealed the two doors.  Continuing down the hall, there was no door but we could hear an occasional loud, tink, resound through the tunnel. 

Placing the girl far away with Navi, Ailine and I walked forward as quietly as possible. At the end of the tunnel were three malnourished men with a large iron ball and chain on their ankles. They were holding pickaxes with a bag at their feet. From the looks of the area, they seemed to be digging out a new room.

There was a bandit sitting in a chair, absentmindedly watching them. None heard us over the sounds of the picks as I snuck beside the man in a chair and shoved a dagger into his eye. The three men didn't even notice as I stored the body and crept away. If a sound as common as I assumed their picks were, had suddenly stopped, then someone might come to investigate.

Knowing that this branch is clear, we backtrack to where it split last time taking the unexplored path. With another two doors, we don't feel anyone inside either, so we open the left side. An office was the best way to describe it. Table with papers and a bookshelf with a few books. Very spartan, but we would have time to look through papers later.

The door on the other side of the hall was larger and could only be called where they stored any loot they had. Crates of food, piles of fabric, worn weapons and armor, and an entire array of other goods. Closing the door and sealing them, we walk down the hall and feel someone inside.

Getting ready for a potential fight, we open it to see a larger bedroom with a single large bed. Sleeping on it wasn't quite what I expected. For a 'bandit boss' I had the standard large, muscular man with a scarred face and bald head type of image in my mind.

Sleeping peacefully on the bed, the last room in the cave system, was the strongest person we had seen. At level 42, he wasn't a pushover, but looking at his sleeping face and torso exposed above the blankets made me hate him just a bit more.

The fucker was handsome. Well kept light brown hair. Lean muscular build, and a chiseled face. I wanted to stab him. I wanted to stab him so fucking much. Just as I was about to raise my arm, Ailine grabbed my hand.

(Lia… This was one of the priests I sometimes saw back in the cellar…)

What the fuck? Are priests also bandits now?

I lower my hand and ask, (Do you want to talk to him before he dies, or do you want to just kill him?)

(I—) Just as she was saying what she wanted, a blinding flash of light shot out of the man's hand into both of our faces.

It fucking stung! Even with the effects of the cloak, it still momentarily blinded me like someone throwing salt in your eyes.

""Ahh!"" Ailine and I both shout in surprise at being blinded.

Then I felt something try to stab into the dragon leather of my gut before I heard him jump back.

"Who the fuck sent you two?"

Surprised, blinded, but also not stabbed thanks to the armor, I point towards his voice with Seren and fire a wind blade.

"Fuck!" I hear him yell and hear something fall to the ground.

I quickly channel healing magic into my eyes and into Ailine's who is still next to me. It's not bad, so it heals within a couple seconds. As they focus, I can see him holding his severed forearm.

He has a small light ball channeled above his head so he can see. It's weak enough that our cloaks and dark magic can easily block its effect on us. Unlike a fucking big ass flash bang grenade to the face.

Deciding it wouldn't hurt to see who might betray him before he dies, I ask him a leading question. "Who do you think?"

"It was that fat fucker, wasn't it? That fucking bastard!" I get a useless answer for my trouble from the future corpse. 

As he raised his hand to point it at us, I jumped forward, ready to cut him down with Seren. There's no point dragging this out if it means being blinded again. As my blade is about to reach him, an arrow hits him in the chest. Changing my swing last second from taking his neck to taking his outstretched hand, I finished through, leaving him without either arm.

Falling to the ground screaming, now without arms and with an arrow in his chest, missing his heart, he's on borrowed time.

(Ailine. Any last things to say?) I asked.

She just stares at him with a palpable fury. 

"I got my own bow. And my fingers work again," she said to the man.

He just looks at her confused for a couple seconds, then yells, "The fuck you talking about, bitch!?"

Ailine draws her bow with a darkness arrow and points it at his face.

"In the cellar of the high priest over seven years ago. You broke all of my fingers. They work again."

Before he could utter any sort of response, she loosed the arrow that went directly into his forehead.

I walk over to Ailine and hug her as she lets go of a breath she didn't know she was holding, and hugs me back with trembling arms.

"I love you, Ailine."

"I love you too, Lia."

We stay like this for nearly a minute. Though, we both knew we had things to do.

(James, all clear. Bring everything up to the entrance. Lala, if it's been clear, head back to James and guide them down there.)

(Yes, Aunt Lia.)

(Yes, Your Majesty.)

"Let's go free the others," I say to Ailine.

She forces a smile. "Yeah."

"Okay!" Navi chirped.

As we were walking out, I couldn't help but feel a bit disappointed. These people were all so… weak. Even the boss. From years in the Abyssal Dungeon, did I lose a sense of normal from always facing off against strong monsters? As a night assault, we didn't even give them a chance to counter. Although, why should we? Why not take advantage of one of our race specific skills, Nightstalker, every chance we could? Oh well. Thoughts for another time. 

Picking up the still fully limp girl, we move on. The next couple hours were a blur of tears from us and others. The three men had similar experiences. They had been captured along with their wives and children, if they had them, when they were traveling. All at different times, and the one here for the longest said there were men that died before the other two came.

They were forced to work on carving out the rooms. They were told that as long as they worked, their family would be kept alive. None of them knew who the girl I held was, but were elated when I said there was a room with seven women.

As we all walked over there, two of the men had their hearts crack when they didn't see their wife or child.

Because the women were in no state to answer, 'have you seen' or 'she has hair this color,' type of questions, I had to ask them to step out of the room. They could ask questions when the women were at least fully coherent.

The third man found his wife, but she was so frail that as he tried to gently hold her, she barely grabbed him back.

To the confused and scared women, we began explaining that all the bandits are dead. Their emotions poured out with some. Others were unbelieving. Starting with one woman, a few decided to tell us their story on their own accord. Once the two men had calmed, at least to the degree of asking the women so many questions, I brought them back in.

Having already given everyone robes, Ailine and I distributed water and soup we made one night on the trip in anticipation of this. After they all had something in their stomach, I wanted to go over potential options for them.

At this point, we still haven't revealed we were vampires, and Navi is still hidden. If any of them wanted to go back to the empire, then it would be best if they didn't know about us.

"Alright, everyone. First, does anyone know anything about this little girl?"

Looking around, nobody spoke up. I suspected this when we walked in and nobody said she was theirs. Right now, Ailine is just holding the poor girl who may even be more emotionless than she was when I found her.

"Um. I don't think. Anyone knows. She was brought here. And never spoke. We don't. Even know her name," One of the women said.

Well that's no help.

"Alright then. Next, does anyone know why a priest was working as a bandit boss?"

More silence. Then one of the men spoke.

"I heard some bastards talkin' sometimes. From what I gathered, priests would sell or buy items. Then have small groups like these rob them every so often so they get the goods and the money, but it can't be traced back to the fuckin' priests."

"I see. Then next is about the future. I know it is sudden, but you are all free now. Do any of you want to return to the empire?" I asked.

This will be similar to what I asked the group we saved on the way here. They all just looked at one another for almost a minute. Then one woman spoke. 

"Miss. I think I can say that nobody here wants to go back. Not after what's been done. I think all of us lost everything we had. And knowing what they're doing? No, Miss. We don't want to go back."

Some were looking at me with eyes that were pleading to not force them back. Almost every human I've met has been either a traveler or from a small, impoverished village. What exactly are villages and towns like there? What's their poverty rate in the towns if there are so many impoverished villages? How can—

I almost asked myself how their leaders can not do anything. Then I remembered Earth. How almost every major city had homeless citizens living under bridges. Many countries or even cities had slums. How, as wealthy as so many countries were, there were still 'third-world' countries where children died of hunger.

What's the answer to this? Is there one? I really need to venture into the human lands. Not just to destroy the church, but to see how people live in the Empire. I was someone who walked by cardboard and blanket homes, panhandlers, and people with signs at intersections all the time. I even went to a fancy, hipster coffee shop once in a major city, and outside the window were a minimum of a hundred tents under the Interstate. And I never did a damn thing. I always saw it as a problem someone else would solve. Then, who the fuck am I to judge when I never did a damn thing to even help?

"If none of you want to return to the Empire, I have another option for you. A place safe from monsters. With no church. There are less than three hundred people living there. If you want to join us as well, I would welcome you with open arms."

There were looks of disbelief and even some mistrust as to how absurd that sounded.

One of the men spoke. "Pardon, Miss. And I don't mean this unkindly like. But who are you to promise such a thing?"

(James, you and Claire come in,) I said telepathically.

(Yes, Your Majesty.)

I had kept these two close by in case when they found out we were vampires, that they would be frightened. Having humans with me should soften the blow a bit. 

… Plus the look of surprise is fun to see…

I really am getting a weird hobby.

Standing up as the two walk in behind me and flank me on either side. They were currently wearing the armor that they hadn't had a chance to on this trip. 

We had just finished it a month ago, and it looks fucking awesome. Painted all a matte black. Red, random, small paint splatter dot 'stars' over the chest. A few knights wanted shiny armor, even though this looks fucking cool as hell. I had to convince them with arguments like, 'matte black lets you stand out less' or 'people would target shiny armor first.'

With them flanking me at attention, I stood up and put my hood down. At the same time I did this, I made my crown appear from storage onto my head. Now, with my face fully visible in the firelight, I begin.

"Let me introduce myself. I am Dalia Midnight, Queen of the Vampires. Where we live, all races are welcome. I would like it if you would also join us."

The look of shock on their faces, some with slack jaws. Nailed it.

138