Side Story – A Knight’s Last Night
3.7k 4 119
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POV - ???

"Hurry the fuck up, Kyle!"

"Yeah, yeah, just wait a damn minute!"

Fucking ass. Can't a guy shit in peace? Not like I enjoy using the damn latrine. Oh, man. That one priest's mansion even had a 'toilet' we could sit on. Better than my fucking bucket at home. I'm just glad I'm not a muck-raker anymore. That was the worst job I've ever had. Becoming a Holy Knight is a hell of a lot better. Pulling my pants back up and putting the tersorium back, I stand and head out. Time to get back to drills.

Halfway through the day, Sergeant comes over. He looks pissed. Must've gotten orders to take him away from his whorehouse or something. 

"Form up!"

We do as ordered and all get ready for whatever he has for us.

"We just got orders! A baron that was a suspected heretic officially rebelled against the Empire! The group of knights sent to ascertain the truth of the rumors about him was ambushed by the townspeople. Now, the entire town has fled into the monster lands. It's suspected they were working with a bandit group in preparation for a rebellion. Our orders are to intercept them before they reach their co-conspirators. They have a three day head start on us. We are to kill on site any with weapons and capture those that don't fight. The priests want to interrogate them to find out if the former baron was working with any other nobles. We leave at first light. Dismissed!"

Rebellions? Who in their right mind would try to rebel against the Empire or go against God Sol. Idiots. Even if we didn't stop them, Sol would smite them. 

Leaving the training yard, I head into town to grab some food and get my stuff ready. Along the road I see the Monster Hunters' Guild and all the mercs bringing back their kills. Always a bunch of goblins. Maybe if they're lucky they can get an ork. Speaking of ork, maybe the stalls got some today.

"Yo, Kyle! Want a skewer?"

"Hey, Tony. You got ork or animal meat today?"

"What're you talking about? You know animals all go to the lords. Can you pay a couple big coppers for one? Thought so. Animals are for the rich. Not for us. I've got goblin like normal."

"Fine, fine. Can't blame me for trying. Here. Take your irons."

Grabbing my skewer, I head home and pack my bag. Not like it's much. All standard issue gear for our kit. Ready, but still early in the evening, I head out to the whorehouses. Maybe there's someone new today. The cheap ones are all convict slaves. Usually caught stealing by guards and would rather sell their bodies than lose their hands. Some try to say they didn't have a choice. Well, they could've just chosen not to steal. You can't go against God Sol's rules and not expect to be punished.

Finishing up and buckling my pants, I leave a few coins for the Madam and start heading back home. Damnit. I forgot to bring a torch. Oh well. Sky is clear tonight so it shouldn't be too bad. Making my way back, I call it a night and get ready to march out in the morning. 

Waking up, I dump my bucket outside and head out to the gate with my gear on and my bag on my shoulder.

"Morning, Kyle."

"Morning. Sergeant here yet?" 

"Yeah, he's getting orders. Looks like Captain and the entire company is coming on this one."

I nod. "Well, we're dealing with a town of heretics. Who knows how long they've been planning to rebel?"

"Right? Well, that's all above us. Let's just follow orders of our betters. Just like God Sol says."

"Praise God Sol."

At sunrise we march out. Captain wants to keep a decent pace so we can catch up to them. After a week-long march, scouts say we're getting close. Sitting around the fires that night, we get word.

"Alright, men! Scouts report the heretical rebels are close! We should reach them tomorrow afternoon. Get some rest and be ready to push hard tomorrow!"

After that, Lieutenant heads into the large tent with Captain and the other lieutenants. I head to my own tent after I finish my roasted goblin. Laying down and closing my eyes, I'm glad I have the last night guard shift so I can actually get some sleep. 

Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam! Bam!

I wake up to extremely loud bangs and the ground shaking. What the fuck was that?! I hear everyone else yelling and shouting outside. Opening my tent with sword in hand, I look around. I was close to the center of the camp, and even though the fires are all out, I can still see the command tent. Two giant boulders smashed into it.

"What the fuck."

I can only mutter as I look at the chaos around camp. As everyone is running around, I just stand stunned. Even as I watch, someone running by me falls to the ground. Something black is poking out of his face. Is that an arrow? Then it disappears. What the fuck?!

"What the fuck is happening!"

I start to run. To where? I don't know. I just know I can't stay still. To my side, another soldier falls to an arrow and more screams are echoing through the night from all around me. 

"Kyle!"

"Sergeant!"

Finally! Someone that should know what's going on and what to do! I change direction and start running towards Sergeant.

"Sergeant! What the fuck is—"

My words are cut off when I see a shadow appear behind Sergeant. No, not a shadow. This is darker than a shadow. This thing is pure evil. Like looking into the depths of Hell where God Sol's light can never reach. As my eyes go wide, not even a second later I see Sergeant's head start to fall off his shoulders.

"What the fu—"

My words are cut off by a blade going through my chest. I look at what I assume is the face of this evil and see… nothing. Just dark and deep blackness. As I fall down and feel my last bit of consciousness fade, I only have one more thought. 

God Sol, please protect us from this evil.

119