31 – Showing Your Love
4.1k 10 145
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Anastasia! Come out, come out, wherever you are!" I said, walking into the parlor.

The sound of hands muffling excited giggles is heard through the room.

"I wonder. Where could my little princess be…" I slowly approach the window-less drapes hanging on the wall. Two little feet poking out from below. "Gotcha!"

"Eeee!" Anastasia squeals in delight as I reach through the useless drapes and grab the child sized ball of energy.

Setting the smiling girl down on the floor, she catches her breath after a handful of seconds.

I reach an arm down for her. "Come on, sweetheart. Let's go find Mommy Ailine."

"Ok, Mommy Lia!" Taking her small hand, we head around the castle together. Stopping every so often as she pokes her head into and under things. Slowly, I lead her to the presence that's making no effort to use her stealth skills. 

Pointing silently to the top of the head poking over the far side of the bed, the little girl 'sneaks' up on Ailine.

"Found you!" Anastasia pounces over the bed to grab Ailine in a hug.

"You got me!" Ailine says with a large smile on her face. "Such a good finder!"

I can only smile at the beautiful scene in front of me.

It's been about two months since Anastasia joined our family. Ailine and I have loved every minute of it.

From that first night showing her around the castle, she has been so full of happiness and curiosity. I'm thankful to Chaos for making sure that the memories she lost stay lost. Children deserve to not know how truly terrible people can be. Someday, when she's ready, I'll make sure she knows, but for the meantime, ignorance truly is bliss.

Anastasia, having the cumulative knowledge of a child but processing power of an adult, acts like a sort of mix of the two. She loves playing and doing other things kids her age would normally do, but her curiosity matches that of a researcher on cocaine. 

Normal kids might ask 'why' to something and be satisfied with whatever you say. Maybe they'll ask a follow-up if they still don't understand. She asks 'why' and then asks other questions to fill in the gaps of information for that answer, going into tangents to fill the void. It's like what I imagine kids who get called geniuses are like. Maybe that's just me since many parents think their kids are smart, but I don't think so.

For example, when she asked why the sky was blue during the day and black at night. A normal child you could answer by saying the light reflects off of water droplets in the air, and they would just nod and move on. When I told her that, we ended up going into detail about prisms, reflection and refraction, the water cycle for why water is in the air, and even about light being a wave and the different colors of a prism are different wavelengths. 

I subtly avoided saying 'photons' or 'molecules' because that would be a week long dissertation of me trying to remember any and all knowledge I had on the subject, just to realize I don't know nearly enough to sate the curiosity of this girl.

Nothing makes you feel dumb like a smart kid. Even so, no matter what, I wouldn't change her for the world. When she one day outgrows her 'child' phase, then so be it. I'll enjoy it as much as I can right now.

"Hey, little girlie! You about ready to go?" Navi calls out. 

"Yes, Aunt Navi!"

Ailine reaches down and takes her hand. "Come now, Anastasia. We'll follow Mommy Lia."

"Okay!"

Tonight, we're taking her to the dungeon for the first time. However, she won't fight anything or even see any fighting.

After conducting some experiments, I've come up with a rough idea of how the damage vs HP system works here. It's something that has always fucking bugged me.

What I concluded is that almost all damage numbers are static. For example, creating a light ball on my hand. When I was level 2, it did 5 damage and burned my hand. When I create the same size and intensity of a light ball now, it still does the same 5 damage, but I didn't get burnt with more than a very slight sting. I believe the reason is my HP is higher. 

When looking at how fast that 5 damage healed before and now, the difference is drastic with it healing in a handful of seconds now. This can either be attributed to a few different potentialities. These potentials could be as follows. HP regen is calculated as a percentage regen and not numeric. HP regen scales with HP. HP regen is a 'hidden' skill and increases a hidden proficiency number when used. Or HP regen for vampires is tied in some way to MP since we are made partly of condensed mana.

To find the real answer, I would need to do some ethically questionable tests. Either way, the example holds true with physical damage as it does with magical. I tested it by letting a razer wolf chomp on my arm again. From what Navi remembers, the total damage was almost identical. Whereas last time my arm looked like I stuck it in a garbage disposal, now it had some slightly bleeding cuts that broke the skin but didn't puncture the muscle all that deep.

Then, options are that HP increases a hidden 'defense' stat. The STR influences damage taken. Or HP passively increases natural defenses to even out the damage number taken by an attack.

Whatever it is, just thinking of the function of HP vs Damage and I marvel at how complex the creation of that single aspect is of the [system.] Chaos and Order really created something amazing. I guess as expected of gods.

Anyway, back on the topic of the dungeon. Regardless of how it's calculated, higher levels equal higher HP, MP, and stats, which equal less damage taken. Which is why, being the overpowered, overprotective family we are, we're power leveling Anastasia on the floor forty-six fortress.

While Navi bombs the fortress, I'll kill any surviving dragonids, then we'll both kill the boss and his adds. Ailine will stay with Anastasia far enough away that she doesn't see us killing humanoid looking monsters, because that might be scary for her... I may be a touch overprotective. It's weird. I don't think I was like this to this degree on Earth. Whatever.

Once the entire floor is cleared, we're all going to go around, bagging up items, and feeding all the cores to Anastasia. Even though it would be faster if the adults just picked up, she's a good girl and always wants to 'help' us whenever she can. Thus, she'll pick up as well.

Yup. We're going to do this until this little girl is the most OP seven year old imaginable. Higher level than even officers in the Empire. Without ever fighting a single time. That's just the type of moms and aunt we are. We love our family, and will do anything to protect it. Screw common sense. Normalcy can go fuck itself.

Being that vampires have their stat potentials set when they're turned, she already has the stats of an adult. Really, this will just be ridiculous, but I'd rather she have the strength to protect herself than not.

Arriving on the forty-sixth floor, we split apart and Navi and I ran ahead while they walked down to the fortress. Cheers to cheats!

=====

POV - Anastasia

"Bye Mommy Lia! Bye Aunt Navi!" I 

Aunt Navi rubs my head. "See ya soon, Rugrat!"

"Listen to Mommy Ailine and I'll see you soon. Love you!" Mommy Lia gives me a kiss on the forehead.

"Well, Anastasia. Should we get walking too?"

"Uh huh!"

I grab Mommy Ailine's hand and we start walking together after Mommy Lia. When we're walking, Mommy Ailine starts humming a song. She taught me the song so I hum too.

After a little, I stop humming and want to ask Mommy Ailine a question, but I'm a little scared of what the answer might be. But I want to know, so I take a deep breath.

"Um, Mommy Ailine? Can I ask you something?"

"Of course, Anastasia. Anything at all."

"Are you and Mommy Lia going to leave soon?"

Mommy Ailine is quiet for a second. "...And why would you think that, Love?"

"I heard Mommy Lia and Aunt Navi talking about it when I was playing with Lala. They said they were going to try to beat the dungeon, but it might take a while."

"Hmm… Well, it's true that we're going to try to beat the dungeon. We have four floors left, and we don't really know what's on those floors. But we're not leaving for at least a few more months, so we still have plenty of time to play!"

I know she was trying to cheer me up, but I'm still a little scared. "Are you going to be alright? I heard Tsuki say that the dungeon has stronger monsters the deeper you go. And if you're almost at the end, isn't that where the strongest monsters are?"

Mommy Ailine stops walking and crouches down with a smile that looks like Aunt Navi's. 

"That's true. But let me tell you a secret. Your mommies are really, really strong! Plus, Aunt Navi, and Sara will be there with us. That way we'll all keep each other safe from the monsters."

"Are you stronger than Mr. James and all of the people wearing armor that come through the castle?"

"Yup! Much stronger. When the time comes for us to go to the dungeon, you don't have to worry about us. All you need to do is focus on playing with Steph and your cousins," she said.

Then Mommy Ailine talks in my head. (Plus, you can always talk to us like this. Each morning, we want to know what you did that night before you go to bed, and how much fun you're having. Alright?)

(Okay, Mommy Ailine!)

I giggle before saying, "It's funny hearing your voice but not seeing your mouth move."

"It is, isn't it? Now come along. We're getting closer to where we need to be. And once we're close enough for you to get EXP, we can both sit and draw together while we wait for them to finish up!"

"Okay!"

We start walking again. Eventually we get to a spot and we stop.

"Alright, Anastasia. I told Mommy Lia we're ready. Remember what we told you to be ready for?"

"Yup! Lots of loud crashes and rumbling."

"Exactly! And there's nothing to worry about. Now come here and sit with me and we can draw with the pencils Mommy Lia made."

I sit down on Mommy Ailine's lap and she takes out a board, paper, and a pencil so that I can start drawing.

Boom! Boom! Boom! —

Level up

Level up

Level up

Level up

Mommy Lia told me about this, but there's still so many!

"Mommy Ailine! There's so many windows that all say 'level up!' They just keep coming and coming!"

"Yup! That's how strong Aunt Navi is! All those loud booms are her beating a whole bunch of monsters."

"Wow…" Aunt Navi must be really, really strong!

"And do you remember what Mommy Lia told you to do with all the stat points you have now?"

"Yes! Make all the stats 20 and save the others until I know how I like to beat monsters. And to not use them without talking to you or Mommy Lia."

"Exactly! Such a good memory."

I giggle and smile really big as Mommy Ailine pats my head and I keep drawing. I hope Mommy Lia likes the picture I'm making for her. She taught me a little about how to draw. Drawing people is really hard, even though Mommy Lia makes it look so easy! She told me I would just have to draw lots of things to practice. She's really, really good at drawing!

After all the sounds stopped for a while, we got a message.

Mommy Lia said, (Alright, girls. Would you want to come help us pick up?)

I look at Mommy Ailine, hoping she says yes. She smiles at me and nods her head.

I sent a message back to them, (Yes! I'll be there really quick, so please let me help, Mommy Lia!)

(Of course! See you soon, sweetheart.)

I jump up and grab Mommy Ailine's had and run as fast as I can with her over to where the sounds were. It looks like a big, broken, castle. But Mommy Lia and Aunt Navi were there waving at us. 

I ran up and gave her the biggest hug I could. "Mommy Lia! Look! I drew this for you!"

Handing her the drawing, I'm a bit scared. What if she doesn't like it or can't tell what it is? She looks at it for a couple seconds and then smiles really big.

"This is great, Anastasia! What a good drawing of the three of us together. And these up here. Is that Aunt Navi and your cousins flying around?"

"Yeah! I wanted to draw our whole entire family!" She said my drawing was good! 

"Well you did excellent." Mommy Lia pats my head. "How about we put this on the wall of our bedroom?"

"Yes!"

"Great! Now let's all pick up everything. Just like we told you, just put these little cores in your mouth and you'll feel them dissolve, okay?"

"Alright, Mommy Lia!"

We spent a long time walking around and picking things up. I ate so many of the cores! Aunt Navi said they would really help me when we practice magic. She said right now I'm really good with dark magic and earth magic. That I'm alright with water magic, and space-time magic. But not very good with the rest. She said if I eat enough of these, then all the types of magic I can use will get a little better if I practice them, so we're still practicing with them all. She said that I'll never be good at light magic and to never practice it.

When I practice with Aunt Navi, Mommy Ailine makes me lots of dresses or other clothes. Mommy Lia works in a special room in the castle. She even goes there when Mommy Ailine is teaching me to read and write. Only Aunt Navi knows what she works on, and they say it's a secret. I really wonder what it is!

After we got done picking up everything, we went back home through a different door that was inside of the ruined building, and then played more together. 

I really love my family.

=====

POV - Dalia

(Navi! I think it's finally done! At this point I would just be overworking it.) I said to my partner for this project.

(About time you mini elephant! Isn't it next week? Cutting it close, aren't you?)

(I know, right? If it wasn't for your help with getting those seeds for oil or creating rocks and minerals for pigment, I never would have got it done in time.)

(Praise me more! You know how much magic it took to make just a small piece of some of those? So much! Not to mention that insane mixture we tried to finally get a good blonde.)

I can't argue with that. (I know. I owe you big time.)

(What now? We work on the frame?) Navi said.

(Yeah, could you give me a hand with it?)

(Fine, fine. You know you're making me one too, right?)

(Of course I will. I can even leave plenty of room so I can include new fairies in the future.)

(Good! I'll be right there, Vampy.)

Just about a week later, our small town was in a buzz for its first ever festival, celebrating arriving here one year ago.

The celebration went through the afternoon and into the night, giving the vampire residents the chance to enjoy it without our robes. We woke up a little earlier than normal so we could go down right at sunset. The fairy sisters had been flying around all day playing with kids or doing 'magic shows' like water fountains or fireballs. Regardless of the world, kids love sprinklers, so fairies flying around, dancing in the air and sprinkling water was a big hit.

They even put on a small play in the large open square. The play was Hero and Demon Lord from stories of anime their mom told them. They seemed to pick up her flare for the dramatic.

As we're getting ready, a little voice calls up to us. "Mommy Lia! Mommy Ailine! Marquise Whitewater and her baby are here to walk us down!"

"We'll be right there Anastasia!"

Hollering down the extremely excited little girl, I quickly finish with Ailine's hair and we walk down the stairs hand-in-hand. 

I greet the new mother once we make it down the stairs. "Good evening, Marquise Whitewater. How is your son doing?"

"Good evening, Your Majesties. He is doing quite well, thank you for asking," she said with a curtsey, holding her son in one arm.

"And thank you for escorting us. Is your husband still enjoying himself at the new tavern?"

"Ha! That he is. Especially for today, the brewer planned an exceedingly large amount. I doubt he will be done anytime soon."

"Well if he was to indulge, today would be a good day for it." I looked down at the buzzing little girl. "How is Anastasia doing in her new etiquette classes?"

"She's doing very well! Princess Anastasia, why don't you show your mothers the introduction we worked on?"

"Yes!"

She tap, tap, taps over to us and then slightly composes herself and dips into an adorable curtsey.

"I am Anastasia Midnight, Princess of the Vampires. It's a pleasure to make your acquaintance." 

Ailine and I start clapping at our cute little princess. Taking lessons from Realyn was an Idea we had the other day. One day, she will have to interact with other nobles or guests from other races, and having an idea of what would be expected of her would be a good thing.

Really, all Navi and I know is from shows, reading, and how we would expect a queen to act. We're really just winging it, though. Being taught by someone who has some idea of the actual thing was best. Lala and Tsuki are even joining. Thankfully, since neither of our races have standards or cultures since we're starting from scratch, whatever the fuck we decide to do becomes canon, which is nice.

"Great job, Anastasia! Now then, should we go look at the festival together?" I asked.

"Yes!"

Taking both my hand and Ailine's, the three of us walk out of the castle with Realyn carrying her newborn just watching us with a smile.

After a short walk out of the courtyard, we reach the first buildings of the town along the stone road lit with street lights every so often. The lights are something Navi finished enchanting a month ago. Instead of using a simple light magic enchantment, taking vampires into consideration, she actually created large light bulbs that she vacuum sealed and that have a tungsten filament. 

With a fire and arcane combined enchantment, she was able to make it light up like an actual street light. It's a small enough enchantment, since it only heats the filament, that a handful of slime cores is enough for the entire night. We haven't used them much, as this is the first evening event we are testing them with. 

We also have a couple in the main entry of the castle along with the throne room and a parlor for our night vision impaired guests. Eventually, Navi thinks she can chain the enchantments to a single area, where cores can work as a switch for the lights in each room, allowing a higher level core to be placed in or out of a location to turn the lights on or off.

We spent the next couple hours meeting people, sharing smiles, and Anastasia even played with a few kids around her age. Although for a typical child to outrun a child with stats like hers is impossible.

The town has grown a lot, and the population is increasing now that more and more babies are being born. Buildings are done, the monetary system is established, the school is running smoothly, and the fields outside the main wall that are surrounded by the palisade are producing grains and vegetables while watched over by farmers and fairies. 

We even created a stone water tower and stone plumbing to the buildings. Creating pipes from non porous stone is easy with magic. Same with laying pipes when you don't have to dig up the town or streets to do it. Now the majority of houses have running water with ¼ turn valves. They now mostly have toilets as well. Finally!

There's a basic septic system by creating a large septic tank that multiple flush toilets and faucets drain into. And yes, it turns out slimes will eat waste. That trope stands. We nabbed some wild ones and dropped them down. They can't climb, so they'll just live there now, eating shit and piss. Within a couple months every house should have their own. Navi even rigged a bidet enchantment. Since everyone is learning the basics of magic, even kids can use the tiny amount of mana needed for the water spurting enchantment.

Honestly, for being completely isolated from the outside world, it's like a small slice of peaceful paradise.

Eventually, after a couple hours of fun, we decided to head back to the castle. I finally finished the gift I wanted to give Ailine and had Steph and Sara get it ready while we were gone.

Stopping at the doors to the castle, I call out to both of Ailine and Anastasia.

"Alright, you two. You know I've been working for a long time on something in the room I always lock. Well, I finally finished it. Anastasia, you might not know, but today is actually one year since Mommy Ailine and I got married. And so, Ailine, my love. Happy anniversary. What I was working on and my gift to you is at the top of the stairs."

Opening the doors, they look in with anticipation on their faces.

"Wow! It's us! It's us! Did you make that Mommy Lia? It's so good!"

Anastasia runs in and up the stairs to get a better look. Meanwhile, I look at Ailine who has a hand over her mouth and tears forming. Grabbing her other hand, I walked her inside. 

Above the stairs, between the two doors to the library, was a massive six-foot by eight-foot oil painting. I learned to draw and paint years ago, but it was always just a hobby. Is this Renaissance Master level painting? Hell no. However, looking at the style of the couple paintings from the castle big-bag of centuries ago, I like the look of oil paintings much better. Their paintings were all flat and had no depth or soul. If I had to pick out a person from the paintings in person, I probably couldn't. Not mine! In your face thousand year old painters. People will see my girls and be able to point them out forever!

In the center of the painting is Anastasia, holding hands with us. A bright smile lighting up her face looking up at Ailine while in her favorite light blue dress. On her right, is Ailine, smiling down at her wearing the white dress with red sash that she wore a year ago. On the other side is me, looking warmly at Ailine and wearing my crown, Seren, and black and ruby sprinkled dress like a year ago. We're all on the top of the tower, with the moon in the corner, stars in the sky, and the darkened landscape all behind us.

I'm actually really happy with how it came out. With Navi's help, the frame is simple and sleek with no adornment and costed in a light layer of silver.

Like all oil paintings, from a distance it all comes together, but when you get right up to it, you can see every brush stroke, all the layers, the depth and slight inconsistency in mixing colors that I think make oil paintings so attractive.

"I love you Ailine. So very much."

She jumps into my arms and squeezes me tight.

"I love you so much, too, Lia. Thank you. Thank you for everything."

"Me too! I love you both so, so, much too!"

Then a little girl wiggles her way in and we both dropped down to embrace her as well. To be able to have a warm family like this is something I am eternally grateful to have found here.

145