54 – Dwarven Delegation
3.3k 15 112
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

POV - Shane Redrik

"Mr. Redrik, are you helping again today?" the young vampire asked me in the hallway. 

"Certainly, Princess Anastasia. I just need to write a letter to my king first. Then I will be right there."

"Okay!"

As she runs off, I can't help but to think back on the past month I've been here. His Majesty requested I send a letter back after one month of arriving, and then one every five months. Included should also be specific wording to disguise hidden meanings. Useful in the event that a letter be intercepted or written under duress. Ultimately, it was for informing him and the council members on how the dwarves are doing, what we have learned, our level of safety here, and if everything is going well. 

It certainly has. This past month has been absolutely invigorating! After sitting down, I take out a 'ballpoint pen' that Queen Nikita created, and began writing my letter.

King Rancorock and the Elder Council,

As requested, I am writing to you one month after our arrival at the city of Midnight. All of our people are well and this trip has been more fruitful than I could have ever imagined.

Upon arrival we were greeted by many of the influential members of the city. Queen Midnight has a wife, Queen Ailine Midnight, and a lovely young daughter, Princess Anastasia Midnight. The princess appears to be around seven or eight years old, but she seems to be much smarter than any child of that age I have met. I believe your own daughter would get along well with her. Their walls were also fifty feet high and made of thick stone. I doubt any monster would breach them.

What Queen Midnight said about a dragon was also true. My heart nearly stopped when I first saw the dragon, Mitena. From the drawings passed down and descriptions in the stories, it is a perfect match, only much smaller than an adult. Even as a young creature, it is still very large and has grown since we have been here. 

When we first approached the group from Midnight, Mitena stared me directly in my eyes. I have never felt so afraid in my life. Staring into its orange, vertically slit eyes was like watching my own death. However, as quickly as it came, the feeling was gone and she appeared to lift one side of her mouth, almost in a smirk. From learning over the weeks how intelligent Mitena is, I can only take that original interaction as a warning against bringing any harm to Princess Anastasia, who she seems incredibly fond and protective of.

It isn't uncommon to see Princess Anastasia and Mitena playing around the castle, or her riding the dragon from one place to the next. I don't believe she realizes how frightening her playmate and protector is. I pity the fate of any fool that ever thinks about bringing harm to her.

Among those that greeted us, we met Marquis Elden Whitewater and his wife Realyn. They are both humans that manage the city and seem to delegate effectively as well as have the trust of the citizens.

It was also our first encounter with the new race. The fairies. Queen Navi Nikita was on a mission that I will mention later, but her daughters, Princesses Lala, Tsuki, and Carmen Nikita, were there to greet us. As Queen Midnight described, their race is one foot tall with wings. The fairies don't need to sleep, eat, or drink. They fly everywhere and seem incredibly energetic. Besides their appearance and particulars of their race, they are just like any of the others I have met.

We were all given exquisite rooms inside of the castle and treated to a delicious banquet. We learned through our stay that the fairies have a skill that allows people to communicate mentally with anyone else that the fairies have connected with their skill. This was how they were ready to greet us with the feast and at the gate. The civic and militaristic potentials of such a skill are staggering. Suffice to say, they are in near constant communication with each other and always aware of what is going on.

The technological advancements in the city are also amazing, and are things that we could implement for our cities and towns. The list of innovations is massive, and even I am unaware of how some of them function. The three examples that are most surprising are their water system, sewage/trash system, and their newest invention of a printing press.

Their water system is advanced. Every home has fresh water delivered directly to a spigot via pipes. These pipes all branch out from a large tower filled with water. The weight of the water pushes down and pressurizes the water in all of the pipes, and when they turn a knob, fresh water flows out. No magic, no well, no buckets. 

They refill the tower with water magic, but they also have a pump that can be powered by hand or by monster cores. It physically and magically filters the water that is drawn from underground and pumps it to the tower. After talking to the fairies, apparently Queen Midnight and Queen Nikita wanted there to be multiple ways to always provide fresh and clean water.

This system is also connected to baths in the homes with a heating enchantment. It isn't uncommon here for all of the citizens to bathe almost daily. They have toilets similar to ours, but being hooked up to this water system allows the tanks to be filled automatically.

That leads to their sewage and trash system. Deep underground, those pipes lead to a sewage and waste cavern that they have filled with slime monsters. The slimes dispose of all of the waste. There are what looks like wells that citizens throw their trash into that lead to these caverns. The slimes can't escape and so it is a completely zero work system once in place. I have never dreamed of using monsters like this.

The last and most recent invention is something that could revolutionize our work. Queen Midnight told Princess Anastasia how to create it, and the princess has been in charge of managing it. She is very intelligent and has wisdom and knowledge beyond her years, along with excellent magical talent. We were asked to help for a time in exchange for learning how it was made and works. It was truly another trade deeply in our favor.

They created small blocks with letters, arranged them into words and sentences, ink the top of them, and folded an arm with paper on it to come down directly on the inked letters. The paper is then pressed against the 'type' and you have a completed page of a book that you can make as many identical copies as you want. I wonder why this has never been created before, but it takes a completely different way of thinking about books and writing to come up with this.

Just thinking of what we can do with this is staggering. All of our citizens could have access to books. The identical forms we fill out for our governmental work could all be replicated so easily. We could cut down on our expenses dramatically with only that. We could create identical announcements and decrees in days instead of weeks. This is a truly amazing invention. 

That also leads to the citizens of Midnight. The majority are human but there are a few vampires mixed in the city. All citizens are literate, trained in the basics of weapons and magic, and 'power leveled' in groups inside of a shallow dungeon behind the castle to between level 13-15. They only eat animal meat, have no shortage of crops, and have a thriving economy.

Queen Midnight has fully stabilized the inflation and deflation we often see by creating multiple programs. The monarchy purchases certain crops, common items, or monsters at fixed prices. This keeps the prices from fluctuating and has seemed incredibly successful. There is also talk about the royals creating a 'bank' that citizens can keep their money inside of. From what I gather, records of each individual's deposits and withdrawals would be kept, and the bank would also lend money out to those with concrete plans that could be profitable, all with a non-predatory interest rate attached to payments. If the queens devise such a system  it should be something we watch closely to see how well it could work for the dwarves.

The library in the castle that we had access to was truly amazing. All of the books were from the vampires before the Vampire War. The amount of knowledge we were able to gain from them is not insignificant. We have been able to fill in holes in our own history and answer many questions of ours thanks to this.

Currently, Queen Midnight is visiting the elves, similar to how she visited us. From what I have been able to gather, we finally know why the elves retreated at once at the tail end of the wars. They entered into a civil war that has lasted the last three centuries.

I am not privy to the specifics, but it seems that within days of Queen Midnight's arrival, the civil war had ended and nearly the entire population of the elves are migrating to Midnight. There is an estimated one thousand five hundred remaining. Much lower than we could have ever guessed. 

In preparation for their arrival, communal housing has been started and we are printing introductory magic books for them. A smaller group will arrive roughly a month from now with the majority arriving two months from now. I have gathered that the civil war has destroyed most of their previously held knowledge. Queen Midnight is freely giving them these books so that they can regain bits of what was lost.

I don't know what happened, but a centuries old civil war ending within days of her arrival is too coincidental and I believe it is safe to say that Queen Midnight must have had some role in its resolution. 

With this letter, I have included drawing and diagrams of many of the other inventions. As well as a copy of each of their introductory magic books with their permission. As you will see looking through them, these are books that can help our people significantly. 

I have already confirmed with Queen Ailine that should Your Majesty and the Elder Council wish to send more dwarves to study or observe here in Midnight, that they are welcome. They would ask in exchange for an equal amount of either soldiers or tunnelers be sent. With the incoming elves, they are increasing their security and any soldiers sent would be under Captain Dridok and assist with patrolling the city under Captain James Remmington's request. All additional dwarves would be responsible for their own living expenses, and given housing in the newly built 'longhouses' that house twenty to thirty individuals. Similar to a small barracks, but with all of the amenities that are standard here.

In conclusion, all of the dwarves were embraced with open arms, are doing well, and the exchange in sending us here has been incredibly worthwhile. My professional opinion is that the relationship between the dwarves and the people of Midnight be maintained or strengthened. I can only see positive gains for us if this is so.

Shane Redrik

After finishing my letter, I went to see Captain Dridok and his men. They were training as normal with Captain Remmington and his soldiers.

"Greetings, Captain Dridok."

"Greetings, Mr. Redrik. What can I do for you?"

"A month has passed and I have the requested package to be delivered to Dunmoor. Do you have some men that can deliver it?" I said, presenting the package to him.

"Certainly. I will send a team of five out immediately on horseback."

As I hand the package off to Captain Dridok, I marvel at what Queen Midnight has accomplished in such a short time. Such a city to come from nothing in just over three years is a great achievement. Now. What more will you show us in the future?

=====

POV - King Aiden Rancorock

"And this concludes our normal business. Now then, councilors. It appears Shane Redrik has sent us the one month report from Midnight. I will have my aide read it aloud for us," I say, motioning to my aide.

As the aide removes the letter and begins reading, all of us in the room  listen with rapt attention. Once done reading, all of us remain silent. From our last interaction, we had high expectations for what Queen Midnight may have accomplished. However, after hearing about many of the advancements that the Vampire Queen and Fairy Queen have completed, it's no exaggeration to say we were shocked by some of the revelations.

I turn towards the soldier that was tasked with delivering this from Midnight. "Soldier. You and your team were able to traverse from Midnight to here. How treacherous and winding is the path there?"

"Yes, Your Majesty!" He stands at attention and begins. "On our initial journey, once we passed our southernmost village, Queen Midnight and her hippogryph, Talon, cleared a straight path through the forests. Anytime we encountered a forest, they would ride ahead at night, cut all trees in the way at ground level, then rest until we caught up to them sleeping at the end of the path. 

"They repeated this until we reached the city. There are a few shoots growing on the cleared path, but it is extremely navigable, even with the current layer of snow. It will be hard to get lost so long as you continue straight after leaving a forest."

She… She cut a path… Through that large of an area? Isn't that the beginning of a permanent road connecting us? Every time I think my common sense has caught up with her, she jumps ahead.

I let out a resigned breath. "Councilors. From the report, I believe it may be in our best interest to send a group of our mages as well as carpenters, inventors, and blacksmiths to learn of some of the advances that are there."

We don't have powerful mages like the other races, but it isn't like we don't have any mages at all. Magic, even at the level we can use, is incredibly helpful to our people. If they can study and learn how to become better mages, they can return and spread those teachings or techniques to more of our people.

A councilor speaks up. "I would agree, Your Majesty. I move we send a full platoon of mages. Along with a platoon of soldiers from Captain Dridok's company."

"Second."

"Third. Your Majesty?"

"Approved." I hit my gavel. "General, can you handle organizing this?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," the general said.

Another councilor makes a proposal. "I move that we send a group of five blacksmiths and five carpenters along with ten more for the tunnel team."

"Second."

"Third. Your Majesty?"

"Approved." Another gavel hit. "Elder Ironsmith, Elder Quartzik, I assume you can handle the teams?"

""Yes, Your Majesty,"" they both replied.

"Good." I get my thoughts together and present my own idea. "Then I also have my own proposal. I would like to send my daughter, Princess Perrin, as an official dwarven representative. Shane used the phrasing I told him, indicating that he foresees no danger from anyone in Midnight should she go, and that the safety of their city is to the highest degree. She turned fifteen a few months ago, and until she turns twenty and begins her military service, I would like her to be exposed to the lands outside of ours.

"I would send her bodyguard and maid, of course. I believe, as my successor, building a good relationship with those in Midnight would only be beneficial. I would move we send the remaining two squads of Captain Dridok's that remained here so he has his full company, should they accept her as a diplomat and house her in the castle. Would anyone endorse it?"

"Endorsed."

"Second."

"Third. Your Majesty?"

I hit my gavel once more. "Then the motion is approved. Are there any final motions for this meeting?... Then I call this meeting to a close. Thank you for your continued work, Elders. General, Elder Ironsmith, Elder Quartzik, I believe the books and diagrams Shane sent would be most useful for your teams. Please take them with you."

"""Yes, Your Majesty."""

As everyone stands and leaves, I heave a sigh. I really do think this will be good for my sweet Perrin. As hard as it will be for me to send her away, she has been interested in the vampires since years ago. Even more so when she learned of Queen Midnight's visit. Additionally, as the first dwarven representative to a foreign power in centuries, it should be someone with a high standing. 

My dear wife, Matilda, even gave me a punch to the gut for not delaying Queen Midnight's departure until they returned. I was peeing blood for a couple days after that. It wasn't my fault they were both on a city tour when she visited. My sweet wife certainly hasn't lost her spunk from her teenage delinquent days as The Red Butterfly.

Finally arriving home, I'm greeted by our long-time butler. "Welcome back, Your Majesty."

"Thank you. Are Matilda and Perrin around?"

"Yes, they are both having a break in the back before dinner."

Nodding, I continue through to the small patio in the back. Matilda has been able to grow a few potted flowers and plants, even while being under the mountain. Space in Dunmoor is limited. Our ancestral home has always been the largest, but by no means is it the size of a castle or even a mansion. That has just always been our way, and non-familial guests to dwarven homes are almost never for the night. Thus, there has never been a reason for dwarves to have large houses with rooms that would never be used.

Arriving in the back, I see Matilda and Perrin enjoying a cup of tea. Perrin's bodyguard, Botill isn't far behind her. That woman takes her job very seriously. My wife and I are able to protect ourselves from our years in the military, but Perrin is still a bit too young for that, so Botill is always nearby. Her maid, Else, pours them a refill. A kind, caring, and hardworking young woman who we hired a few years ago when she aged out of the church's orphanage.

"Hello, Honey and my little Pebble."

"Daddy! Welcome back!" Perrin cheerfully greets me. This girl always melts my heart.

"Welcome home, Aidey. How was the meeting?" Matilda said.

"A lot of the same," I said as I took a seat at the table. Else brings me a cup of tea as well. "Reports, statements, and all the other business. However, we did receive a report from Shane today. My aide who went to the vampire city, Midnight."

"Oh?" Matilda raised an eyebrow. "And how are the dwarves doing there?"

"They're doing extremely well. From the report, the city Queen Midnight has built has many advancements that we don't, and seem open to sharing them. So much so that we're sending a second group to Midnight."

"Well, that sounds like it'll be very beneficial, Aidey."

I glance at Perrin and see restrained excitement but also potential disappointment. I can tell she wants to ask to go, but knows she wouldn't be allowed.

"It will be, Honey." I smile and turn towards Perrin. "Actually, at the meeting, I had a proposal. Queen Midnight and her people are quickly becoming good partners to the dwarves. As such, it makes sense for us to have a presence there.

"Perrin, I made the proposal for you to be the official dwarven representative. At least until you turn twenty and start your service. Would you travel with this next group of dwarves and represent our people and learn all you can while building a stronger relationship between the vampires and the dwarves?"

"Yes! Daddy, thank you!"

Perrin jumps out of her chair and gives me a large hug that I return. Oh, how I'll miss my little Pebble. Still, this'll be good for her. I have no doubt the races will interact again over her lifetime, and as the future Queen of the Dwarves, she needs to be prepared and at the forefront. I glance over her shoulder at Matilda, and she smiles approvingly at me. Mentally, I pat myself on my back. Once Perrin releases me, I continue.

"Now then. Botill, Else, you both will be accompanying her."

""Yes, Your Majesty!"" they both replied.

Perrin can barely hold in her joy. "Oh, this is so exciting!"

"It is, but it's also very important work." I hold her shoulders and stare at her to make sure she listens. "Before you leave, I'll get you a report of the important people to remember while there. Some of the most important are the two royal families. The Midnights are the vampires and consist of Queen Dalia, Queen Ailine, and Princess Anastasia. The Nikitas are the fairies and consist of Queen Navi, and Princesses Lala, Tsuki, and Carmen.

"From the report, Anastasia appears to be seven or eight years old, and may act her apparent age at times, but she's very intelligent and not someone to judge or underestimate because of her looks.

"Botill, this is especially for you, but listen well, all three of you." I make eye contact with them to make certain they know of my seriousness. "I had not mentioned it before because I could hardly believe it, but Princess Anastasia has a companion that acts like a friend, pet, guardian, and protector.

"It is a young legendary dragon named Mitena. From the report, it's very protective and smart. I'm telling you now. By no means antagonize it, and treat it like it's her bodyguard. Princess Anastasia doesn't seem to realize how frightening it is, but be prepared when you meet it."

Perrin nods resolutely. "I will, Daddy."

For the last couple years, she has been wanting more responsibility and to travel more. That's why she has been going on city tours with Matilda. Still, I know she's ready for more. Being our first representative to another race in centuries is a major duty. Matilda may be a better fit, but she does so much for our people as is, that moving her from that wouldn't balance. 

From the wording in Shane's letter, it also seems that he thinks a younger representative like Perrin would be more beneficial to relations. Focus more on befriending all of the princesses being more plausible than the queens, thereby better serving the dwarves. Besides, I can't coddle Perrin forever. She has grown quickly and turned into a fine young dwarf. I know she can do this and that this foreign exchange trip will be good for her. I can't imagine what all she'll learn and experience in her few years there.

Even though we dwarves don't focus as heavily on our monarchy as we know the other races do, it doesn't change the fact that she is a princess. Even when we have arranged meetings and events with others her age, daughters of councilors or other city leaders, she has always been treated as a princess. This has made it hard for her to make a good friend. I didn't mention it to the Elders, but I suspect they knew that I had another motive in sending Perrin. I'm hoping that she can make lifelong friends while in Midnight. I truly believe that everyone needs at least one friend they can rely on.

I gently stroke her head. "On this trip, make friends and connections as well as learn from them. You'll be representing all of the dwarves while there. Take care of our people and make decisions that are in our best interest. We're all counting on you. Most of all, take care of yourself and enjoy your time there."

"Thank you, Daddy! I'll make you proud!" she said with a smile so large it forces her eyes to nearly close.

"I'm always proud of you, my little Pebble."

Giving her another hug, I can only pray that this experience will be as beneficial as I hope.

=====

POV - Princess Perrin Rancorock

What an exciting day! The last week and a half since Daddy told me I would be traveling to see the vampires has gone by so slowly!

My maid, Else, speaks as we head towards the gate. "You seem even more excited than you have the last few days, Princess."

"I definitely am, Else! We're leaving to see the vampires! Real vampires! It's so amazing that any survived after the war. I wonder when she turned? Or when the Princess turned? What made them choose to turn? Do they regret changing from being humans? How does it feel? It's all so fascinating!"

I make my way up to the carriage with Botill, and Else. I can hardly contain myself!

"Could I get you anything, Princess?"

"No thank you, Else." I poke her in the side. "You can show your excitement as well. I know you're almost as excited as me!"

"That!... You are right, Princess. After reading all of the books you gave me on vampires years ago, and seeing your own excitement, it's hard not to be."

Certainly I have been fascinated for years about vampires. I read all of the history books about them, as well as any novels I could find. A couple were even romance novels I had to hide from Daddy. From the history books, I learned about how wrong we were to join the Vampire War, and how wonderful, if misunderstood, the civilization they built was. Trying to understand what makes someone want to change from human to vampire, learning their cultural habits, it's all so exciting! 

It was always a dream to meet them. Though everyone knew they were extinct. Or at least that's what we thought. How did they survive? Where were they for a thousand years? What made them come out now? I want to know it all!

The carriage begins moving forward, along with the other wagons and horses for our procession of about one hundred twenty-five dwarves. I can't wait to find out what's in store for us in Midnight!

112